move 2: Facade
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Megahorn
item: Flame Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant/Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to beat Heracross' usual counters. After Swords Dance and Flame Orb, Heracross' Attack will have effectively tripled, giving it a stat of 1149 or 1047, depending on your nature. With its Burn, Heracross has a deadly new weapon in Facade, which OHKOs bulky Gyarados, Gliscor, and Weezing with Stealth Rocks down. Hippowdon, Bronzong, and Skarmory are OHKOed by Close Combat after a Swords Dance, and every single Psychic-type in the game is OHKOed by Megahorn.</p>

<p>Though this utilizes Swords Dance, this set isn't intended to be a sweeper like the Sub + Salac set or standard Swords Dancer. Swords Dance is primarily used to kill almost any potential counters, rather than try to sweep through teams. This may make Adamant the preferable nature. If you to intend to sweep with this, Jolly would be the preferable nature; however, be sure to give it Paralysis support. Agility-passing could work, but any damage hurts because Heracross loses 12.5% of its health every turn, 18.75% in Hail or Sandstorm conditions.</p>

<p>Night Slash gets the ghosts that resist Facade and Close Combat, so this may seem like an ideal candidate for the fourth slot, but this is only useful for Dusknoir and Drifblim, as every other Ghost-type in the game, barring Giratina, is OHKOed by Megahorn, so Megahorn is usually the preferable option. Unlike Night Slash, Megahorn OHKOs Celebi and Cresselia, two Pokemon that could potentially stall you out of the former. However, Night Slash is still an option if you want a more accurate option against Ghost-types or just really have a problem with Dusknoir.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Bulk Up can help Heracross survive more attacks, such as Dugtrio's Aerial Ace. Doesn't work too well with Close Combat, so Brick Break is an option if you're using Bulk Up. Aerial Ace takes down other Heracross. Earthquake isn't much use on Heracross, aside from hurting the rare Nidoqueen.</p>

<p>With a Life Orb, 68 SpA EVs, and a neutral nature, Heracross will always 2HKO 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. However, this helps against nothing else, and hurts Heracross' speed, attack, and defense (depending on which nature you use). Still, the 68 EVs taken from Speed and Attack isn't too off-putting.</p>

---

I've tested the Flame Orb Dancer set with mostly positive results, and it has received acclaim in the topic in Stark Mountain (unlike the other set...), and Aldaron also says he has used it with positive results, so I felt this warranted an addition to the Heracross analysis.

After adding the set, a lot of "Other Options" become moot, so I thought I'd just remove them, and mention the HP Ice set as an Other Option.

Discuss.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You mention Night Slash to beat Dusknoir, but where would it go on the set? Talking about it so much means it should be listed next to Megahorn.

You'd obviously be using Guts with this, so make sure you list the ability.

It does seem like a nice moveset, though.

Just so we're clear, a Ghost can come in on one of the attacks it is immune to and then stall it a bit/kill it because they outspeed. Mismagius can come in, then rack up a bit of Burn damage while subbing, then Kill you with a STAB Shadow Ball. Gengar can actually use Psychic, so if this set becomes prevalent we may see that happen more and neuter this Hera.

Also remember that there are a LOT of pokes that can revenge kill this thing, so don't expect to rack up a lot of kills against an intelligent battler.

It OHKOs Celebi and Cresselia, two Pokemon that could potentially stall you out of Night Slash.
This is also not clear. Change it something like:
Unlike Night Slash, Megahorn OHKOs Celebi and Cresselia, two Pokemon that could potentially stall you out of Night Slash.

Instead of a second Night Slash in that sentence, you can also use the word former, like:
Unlike Night Slash, Megahorn OHKOs Celebi and Cresselia, two Pokemon that could potentially stall you out of the former.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
[.darkie], the Guts boost and Attack stage boosts are calculated independently; the 50% Guts boost is applied after the doubling from the Swords Dance.

Anyways, I went in and edited a few typos and whatever.

This is also not clear. Change it something like:
Unlike Night Slash, Megahorn OHKOs Celebi and Cresselia, two Pokemon that could potentially stall you out of Night Slash.

Instead of a second Night Slash in that sentence, you can also use the word former, like:
Unlike Night Slash, Megahorn OHKOs Celebi and Cresselia, two Pokemon that could potentially stall you out of the former.
Suggestion noted, change made.

Also remember that there are a LOT of pokes that can revenge kill this thing, so don't expect to rack up a lot of kills against an intelligent battler.
That's basically why I wrote the second paragraph.

You mention Night Slash to beat Dusknoir, but where would it go on the set? Talking about it so much means it should be listed next to Megahorn.

You'd obviously be using Guts with this, so make sure you list the ability.

It does seem like a nice moveset, though.
I felt that Night Slash wasn't worth it, because of the reasons listed. By talking about it so much, I was actually listed reasons why Megahorn was preferable.

I'll be sure to list Guts.

Edit: I see what you mean, in the first paragraph. I removed that, and stated in the last paragraph that Night Slash is an option for Dusknoir.

I added "Other Options", since the proposed set rendered a lot of Other Options obsolete. Plus, I added the HP Ice set, which is still workable enough to be mentioned as an Other Option imo.

I got 48... something's up.
Let me guess... you used Metalkid? That's not entirely accurate, due to rounding and such. I'm using ControllerofFlame's calculator, which uses X-Act's formula and gives the exact number, as far as I know.

I think that pursuit could be helpful on this set (with flame orb/swords dance, a lot of pokemon are going to switch) over night slash.

Awesome set though, I like the way that it can really get to gliscor. ;)

Added the Flame Orb set. HP Ice is terrible, so its not going in.
And Earthquake/Aerial Ace isn't? I think the ability to 2HKO its biggest counter is better than hitting a couple of Pokemon a bit harder that already take a ton of damage from CB Close Combats/Megahorns. I personally feel it's not so gimmicky that it doesn't even deserve a mention.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

i hate umbarsc

delete thread as site represents OP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)