Doesn't Exeggutor complement Heatran better than Tangrowth?

I've heard about Growthtran, but there's nothing to cover Heatran's fighting weakness. Plus Executor works better in the sun than Tangrowth does.

Because HeatGutor sounds stupid, as does ExeggTran.

Well, while it does resist Fighting, its weak to pursuit, and its defence is inferior to Tangrowth. It's also more predictable, it always uses special attacks, although explosion sure is handy...

It needs an ability like Solid Egg, to reduce its weaknesses >_>

*waits for Dragontamer to post defence tiers post*

Because HeatGutor sounds stupid, as does ExeggTran.

Well, while it does resist Fighting, its weak to pursuit, and its defence is inferior to Tangrowth. It's also more predictable, it always uses special attacks, although explosion sure is handy...

It needs an ability like Solid Egg, to reduce its weaknesses >_>

*waits for Dragontamer to post defence tiers post*
wtf Solid Egg?? xP

On topic...Exeggutor should be used as a compliment for those who can't be bothered to get a good XD Tangrowth.

(Eggy has Synthesis and Morning Sun available as an egg move)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't GrowthTran suck because it gets mauled by Heatran + Prediction anyway, and the only immunity is Heatran to fire?

I mean, at least "Gyaravire" has complete coverage with two immunities, although Earthquake + Stone Edge is common enough.

Jesus fucking christ can people think of anything to say other than "lolz egtarn is dumb name"

Technically Exeggutor is better with Heatran but it has a nasty Pursuit weak. [/thread]

Plus a gazillion other weaknesses and not as much switch-in opportunities and utility as Tangrowth. And yeah, quit the name shit.

That's not a bad idea, not odd at all. Does it run Sunny Day?
I've got Sunny Day support from my Cresselia, 'cause Jumpluff isn't really bulky enough to bother with Sunny Day, and my Heatran is choiced. I tend to use Leaf Guard, because it allows Jumpluff to get in on status attacks. Helped by the fact that most people predict Chlorophyll, so once they've seen Jumpluff they try and paralyse it on the switch-in.

I use Celebi and Heatran.
This is actually a really good idea. But the lack of Chlorophyll may hurt it a bit as it won't be able to outspeed stuff like Jolly Weaviles. But it may actually also work better as it can take statuses directed at Heatran and it has much more bulkier base stats than Exeggutor.

If the only comment you can think to make is "itz name r dum u suck so go use growthtran bcuz new things sux bcuz it haz dum naem" then just don't even bother. Spare the OPs the grief of reading your posts.

Other than that, I like Tangrowth a lot because he's got better physical attack, better defense, and a kick-awesome STAB move (Power Whip), on which no other Pokemon has STAB. Exeggutor, along with Celebi, has the worst type yet known, with a whopping 7 weaknesses, among them a 4x to the ever-common Megahorn.

Yeah, Tangrowth is a lot more adept at taking hits than Exeggutor, is not weak to Pursuit, can sleep the opponent more efficiently due to its sturdy defense, and benefits a lot more from a 2/3 healing Morning Sun.

If you really want to resist every single weakness, go with Celebi.

Typing doesn't mean everything (as seen in some Surskit vs. Gyarados scenarios), but even if it did, why would I choose Exeggutor over Tangrowth? Let's add a Pursuit weakness, amp up that "Run for the hills, it's a horny bug!" situation, and overall just gain weaknesses. Fighting resistances are always nice, but I'd probably say that Mojo takes physical fighting attacks better than Exeggutor, and neither have great defenses against Aura Sphere. You also need something a bit tankier to set up your Sunny Day. Tangrowth being a tank/wall is also nice. But sure, Exeggutor and Heatran will work. Heatran has a bounty of resistances, so there's probably a couple type combos that he could cover for, even if the same couldn't be said for his partner.

Some other cool combos off the top of my head are Lucario + Cresselia (Lucario resists Cressie's weakness to Bug 4x, Dark 4x, and Ghost once, where Cresselia resists Lucario's Fighting weakness, and his Ground weakness, leaving only Fire uncovered. Obviously, this will work with other Levitating Psychics as well), and Floatzel + Mojo (Floatzel resists Ice and Fire, where Mojo resists Electric and Grass. Any Grass type will do, but Floatzel being a BPer and all, likes to pass to something that really appreciates his defense boosts).

Edit: Also, it's not like having two man squads on a 6 man team is so beneficial, the basic idea is to have a team that will work together, so if you're somewhat weak to Fighting, throw a Dusknoir in there, or something. If you cover all of the weaknesses with two Pokemon, building the rest of the team could have some problems (in my opinion, as that's one of the ways I build teams, working on resisting weaknesses).

As requested... Defense tiers.

Exeggutor 116.78 114.51
Celebi 118.52 118.52
Tangrowth 120.53 112.73

Paired with...
Heatran 118.47 118.47

Statistically, Heatran can take both sides equally. However, Ground / Fighting / Rock are the most common physical attacks, while the most common special attacks are Bolt/beam and (HP) Fighting/Ghost. Considering how common bolt/beam is, I'd say Heatran's major weakness is Ground / Fighting / Rock, aka physical. So I'd place more emphasis on a pokemon that complements his physical weaknesses.

Assuming 0 EVs, you have the defense tiers as shown above. Tangrowth literally can't take a special attack at all, so overall I'd rate "GrowthTran" to be weak to surf, HP Fighting / Ghost and so forth.

Onto the egg... defensivly speaking, Tangrowth is far superior in walling Physical Attacks. Exeggutor is slightly better at Sp. Atks (the difference is similar to Weavile vs Starmie, except in the Sp. Side instead of physical), and of course negating the fighting weakness (7.27 bonus vs Fighting attacks). Celebi seems superior to Exeggutor in nearly every way however, and in many ways is even better than Tangrowth.

However, some pokemon that seem to be ignored are Torterra and Breloom. Torterra hits (118.64 116.78) with 0 EVs, tieing Celebi in Physical Defense and having the 2nd best Sp. Def. You lose resistance to Surf but the Grass / Tran combo is broken by Surf / Beam anyway (which is a fine combo with only water resisting both). Torterra and Breloom offer quake/slide resistance, and taken together they all cover much of each others weaknesses.

Breloom is glass, but can come in on many of Heatran's weaknesses, and vice versa. Sadly enough, it takes a Surf pretty damn poorly >_> And you really don't need a super-effective attack to break Breloom. Again, Surf / Beam breaks Breloom / Tran, but unless you start going like... Ludicolo or something weird like that, you aren't going to break surf/beam.

Warning: This is all theory of course and not tested. :-/

Actually, Dragontamer, Tangrowth has little trouble with Surfs. Even though its Special Defense is relatively poor, it 4x-resists it with Sunny Day up. Its main problem is Ice Beam. Meanwhile, Heatran has no problem with Surf, either, as its Special Defense is pretty damned good, and Sunny Day mends its weakness to Surf.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just a question, can't Shaymin do the job of helping Heatran's weaknesses a lot better than Tangrowth? I realize that they're the exact same type, but Shaymin has similar physical defense stats, while having boatloads more special defense, Natural Cure like Celebi without the 7 weaknesses including the nasty Pursuit.

Shaymin can set up sun too, it can recover with Synthesis and it can also help out Heatran by ripping through the opponent's special defense with Seed Flare so that Heatran can come in nice and safely because the opponent will have to switch, or Heatran can come in for the kill.

Unlike Tangrowth, Shaymin can take about 3 Ice Beams on average from what I've seen, and I run the Specs set which means that I don't even invest in any defenses. Imagine what it can do WITH defenses.

Shaymin can also rip into Blissey's HP from the harsh special defense drops form Seed Flare. After a drop, it gets 2HKOed. Shaymin can also run Psychic to rid the opponent of their fighting pokemon if they plan to come in to trash the combo.

It just seems to me like Shaymin does this niche a lot better than Tangrowth, or even Celebi. Heh, but then again, I use Shaymin all the time.

Actually, Bologo, Shaymin is a really neat idea. I never thought of that. The one disadvantage, of course, is the loss of Sleep Powder and the low PP of Seed Flare. That said, though, it could still work. What would be the best fourth move, though? Psychic was mentioned, but it seems like it do better with another move to better the combination.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Heh, well Shaymin does have Grasswhistle as a Sleep Powder Jr., Grasswhistle is extremely risky though with 55% accuracy. I suppose that Hidden Power Fire could be a viable option as the fourth move since it gets powered up by the sunlight, plus Grass/Fire isn't resisted by a huge amount either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)