Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Substitute Dragonite is extremely irritating I have found, so any set utilising a Subs ability to add survivability to Dragonite is pretty decent. I might try that set out myself at some point.

Cloyster obviously checks this quite nicely, and you'll need a bunch of DDs to get straight through its high defense before it Icicle Spears you (but then Cloyster situationally messes around most dragons, so that's obvious). Skarmory too to an extent, but otherwise Unaware users or the like won't even stand against it.

I've been using this Gallade set and it's working out of sheer surprise factor:
Gallade@Iron Ball
0 spe IV
Brave
80 HP/252Atk/64Def/112Sdef
-Trick Room
-Close Combat
-Fling
-Ice Punch

Perfect coverage, 130 BP Dark move, Ice Punch, STAB...works best as an early sweeper because of the surprise factor

Acid Meltdown

Item: Leftovers/Black Sludge
Nature: Modest
Ability: Liquid Ooze/Rain Dish
EVs: 252 SpAtk/44 SpDef/212 Speed
Moveset:
-Acid Spray
-Giga Drain
-Surf/Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Fire/Ice Beam/Rapid Spin/Knock Off

An all out attacking set for Tentacruel? Is this dude crazy?

Yes, he is. This set is off of the same block as the "Metal Sound" sets Heatran and Zapdos ran in Gen 4.

Acid Spray is main STAB. Better accuracy than Metal Sound, and deals some damage, while lowering SpDef by two stages.

Giga Drain is second moveslot. After the SpDef drop, you have a chance to restore a decent chunk of lost HP, especially if the likes of Chansey/Blissey tries to wall you.

In move slot three, Surf gets the main slash for a hard hitting second STAB, or, if you are either okay running Acid Spray as your only STAB move, Ice Beam can hit Dragon types hard on the switch. Also, Ice Beam should be used if you are using this on a sun team.

Last move slot main slash goes to Hidden Power Fire, so you aren't walled by Steel types. In the sun, this will do some serious damage to Steel types, putting Scizor, Metagross, Ferrothor, Forrettress, Skarmory, and Virision all within OHKO, or 2HKO range, and outspeeding all of them except Virision. If being used in the rain (w/ Rain Dish ability), Ice Beam or Rapid Spin can be used in place of Hidden Power Fire.

The EVs given are to outspeed, and 2HKO Gyarados on the switch, or an unboosted Gyarados assuming Stealth Rocks are on the field. If you are using this in the rain, you can minus four EVs from Speed, and place them into SpDef (for a secondary spread of 252 SpAtk/208 Speed/48 SpDef). The spread outspeeds Heatran and Tyranitar, as well, although you shouldn't stay in on Tyranitar unless it's already weakened quite a bit.

In the sun: Tentacruel can help Ninetails, Venusaur, and company counter common threats, and hit all other weather inducers for super effective damage. Politoed and Abomasnow do laughable damage to this set, as well. Surf is neutered in the Sun. Ice Beam, Rapid Spin, or Knock Off could be used in Surf's usual place. In the sun, use Liquid Ooze ability.

In the rain: After hitting Acid Spray in the rain, Surf will do enormous damage. You can also fend off most of the common Pokes on a sun team, as well. In the rain, use Rain Dish ability, with a spread of 252 SpAtk/208 Speed/48 SpDef.

In clear skies: Balls to the wall hyper offence tactics. Hit your opponent fast and hard. Makes for a great lead in clear skies. An opponent will more often than not Taunt Tentacruel if their lead is carrying Taunt, giving you the upper hand. In clear Skies, use Liquid Ooze ability.

Dual Screens Raikou

Raikou @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure (Volt Absorb when released)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice

• Outspeeds all unboosted pokemon in the OU metagame, apart from Deoxys-S. As a result, it can set up a screen on almost any pokemon, and given its good bulk (384/186/236 defenses) and lack of weaknesses it can tank almost any hit, apart from stuff like Excadrill's Earthquake.
  • Since Raikou has quite an offensive presence, opponents will be inclined to switch in special walls, giving you plenty of opportunity to set up screens unopposed.
  • After setting up screens, Raikou can Volt Switch out to whatever you like, conserving turns and also dealing respectable damage. Hidden Power Ice is there for the awesome coverage that Ice moves provide, although Thunder can be used instead of you're running Rain for a powerful option. Weather Ball unfortunately gives Raikou a much worse match up against the fast sweepers it's trying to debuff.
  • With good special attack, base 115 speed and eventually Volt Absorb, Raikou is also an excellent check to Thundurus, setting up a Light Screen to negate any Nasty Plots and to sponge attacks in general, then finishing it off with HP Ice.
I'm surprised this isn't more popular.

Been trying to find a good counter for excadrill , and i think i actually found ( tough a somewhat uncommon) counter to it wich name is duskull.

Duskull at evolite / 252hp/252def/4spdef
nature : Relaxed / impish
Ability : Levitate
Moves : Will o wisp / pain split / seismic toss / night shade

Comes in on the sword dance , or after drill killed something. Will o wisp it and use pain split to restore health. Excadrill's best move to hit it with is rock slide , wich isnt a 2ko with life orb , and deals about 70-80 % when at +2 (adamant). He has really trouble dealing damage with attacks , so both seismic toss and night shade are listed. It also counters fighters somewhat , pokemon that relay on stab EQ and scizor , tough its 2koed by terrakions life orb boosted stone edge. What differens it from other walls is that he has ground , fight and normal immunity , wich no other pokemon has got ( could be that im wrong tough).

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Been trying to find a good counter for excadrill , and i think i actually found ( tough a somewhat uncommon) counter to it wich name is duskull.

Duskull at evolite / 252hp/252def/4spdef
nature : Relaxed / impish
Ability : Levitate
Moves : Will o wisp / pain split / seismic toss / night shade

Comes in on the sword dance , or after drill killed something. Will o wisp it and use pain split to restore health. Excadrill's best move to hit it with is rock slide , wich isnt a 2ko with life orb , and deals about 70-80 % when at +2 (adamant). He has really trouble dealing damage with attacks , so both seismic toss and night shade are listed. It also counters fighters somewhat , pokemon that relay on stab EQ and scizor , tough its 2koed by terrakions life orb boosted stone edge. What differens it from other walls is that he has ground , fight and normal immunity , wich no other pokemon has got ( could be that im wrong tough).

why not just use dusclops? it gets the same boost and moves.

But Duskull has Levitate! Erm... Dusclops takes the same damage from Earthquake as Duskull takes from Rock Slide, so that's moot. And outside of coming in on Ground attacks, Dusclops > Duskull in EVERY way.

But Duskull has Levitate! Erm... Dusclops takes the same damage from Earthquake as Duskull takes from Rock Slide, so that's moot. And outside of coming in on Ground attacks, Dusclops > Duskull in EVERY way.
True , tought i had a niche there tough :(

Dual Screens Raikou

Raikou @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure (Volt Absorb when released)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
I've seen something like this on GBU, it was very effective. It seemed to have an even more defensive spread because it took medium-strength hits well even without a screen.

@Joel: That Tentacruel is neat, although I wonder if Giga Drain should get precedence over Surf/Hydro Pump. If it's used in Rain it'll get good recovery anyway, and even with -2 I'm skeptical of Giga Drain doing enough on most (non-Gastrodon) targets. I'd probably run Acid Spray, Surf, Ice Beam, and HP Fire and leave the support options to a more dedicated Tentacruel.

Actually after testing I think I might just Raikou special attack EVs instead of HP ones. It just doesn't hit hard enough otherwise (HP Ice fails to OHKO Gliscor and 2HKO Latios some of the time, whilst Volt Switch isn't killing bulky waters) and it already has decent bulk, and screens!

@Joel: That Tentacruel is neat, although I wonder if Giga Drain should get precedence over Surf/Hydro Pump. If it's used in Rain it'll get good recovery anyway, and even with -2 I'm skeptical of Giga Drain doing enough on most (non-Gastrodon) targets. I'd probably run Acid Spray, Surf, Ice Beam, and HP Fire and leave the support options to a more dedicated Tentacruel.
Giga Drain is more there for bulky waters. With my set, you will be walled by either Dragons, or Steels. No need being walled by another type (Water). If you opt to not run you Water type STAB. You lose the stall war to Chansey/Blissey without Surf though.

Giga Drain is more benefitial overall for taking out Gyarados (if it switches into Stealth Rock), Vaporeon, Milotic, Suicune, Gastrodon, Swampert, Quagsire, and Jellicent.

I know not all of those are threatening in OU Standard play, but all of those (save for Quagy) are threats in GBU.

Also, along side the Acid Spray stat drop, I don't like Hydro Pump's accuracy when Surf will hit a little harder (w/ SpDef drop) than Hydro Pump will (w/o the SpDef drop).

This is a set I've only just started messing with, but I think it has a lot of potential:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
184 HP / 8 Atk / 136 SpDef / 182 Spe
Careful / Multiscale

Substitute
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Roost

I'd consider running more speed EVs now that DW Alakazam is released and will definately be a force to reckon with. I think you can swap the Atk EVs and some SpD EVs into speed to make sure you go before it at +1. If I calced right, a spread with 184 HP / 112 SpD / 212 Spe Careful gives you enough to outpace it and anything else up to Base 120 Pokes.

I was imagining a darmanitan set
its not really self sufficent
it kinda needs something to pass it a sub that wont break
but.............

Darmanitan @ leftovers
4 HP 252 ATK 252 SPE
zen mode jolly

belly drum
rock slide
flare blitz
superpower/earthquake

i havent tested this
but in theory it works by you passing it a sub
I would use something that baits a grass attack or fire attack
pass the sub to darmanitan
if what they have is choiced that better because then they have to switch
you use belly drum and hit zen mode
if they werent choiced this would help you survive a weaker attack
the leftovers would bring you out of zen mode and you have a sub up
so wreak havoc

I was imagining a darmanitan set
its not really self sufficent
it kinda needs something to pass it a sub that wont break
but.............

Darmanitan @ leftovers
4 HP 252 ATK 252 SPE
zen mode jolly

belly drum
rock slide
flare blitz
superpower/earthquake

i havent tested this
but in theory it works by you passing it a sub
I would use something that baits a grass attack or fire attack
pass the sub to darmanitan
if what they have is choiced that better because then they have to switch
you use belly drum and hit zen mode
if they werent choiced this would help you survive a weaker attack
the leftovers would bring you out of zen mode and you have a sub up
so wreak havoc
You do realize that in Zen Mode Darmanitan has a base attack of 30. It seems feasible if you're opponent is unaware of it but not very reliable. Anything faster that broke the sub on the switch in/Belly Drum can attack before you do and considering Recoil it wont last too long. You should always use Sheer Force.

Multi-Boosting Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
- Wish
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam
- Flash Cannon / Psychic / Psyshock

I run the same set except with the EVs in its defences and a Calm nature. This thing is amazing as long as the foe doesn't phase you out (Ingrain from Smeargle is very useful here) or boosts faster than you. Raise your defences to high levels with Cosmic Power as you heal with Wish. Charge Beam boosts your special attack and works for coverage. The last slot goes to the STAB move of your preference. It's gimmicky but so good if used correctly. Pray for a Stored Power tutor next game! I know, it's the exact same set Silgliph runs!

Multi-Boosting Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
- Wish
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam

I run the same set except with the EVs in its defences and a Calm nature. This thing is amazing as long as the foe doesn't phase you out (Ingrain from Smeargle is very useful here) or boosts faster than you. Raise your defences to high levels with Cosmic Power as you heal with Wish. Charge Beam boosts your special attack and works for coverage. The last slot goes to the STAB move of your preference. It's gimmicky but so good if used correctly. Pray for a Stored Power tutor next game! I know, it's the exact same set Silgliph runs!
I wouldn't even compare Jirachi with Sigilyph. They both have different advantages (Sigilyph: Magic Guard, instant recovery move, Stored Power - Jirachi: Great typing, better def stats, Wish to support team if needed) so it's more a matter of preference. However, Jirachi similarly don't care much about status but sleep as it's specially orientated. I'd move the EVs from Speed to Defense and SpD to reach maximum bulk and not wasting good points for potentially getting para'd. I think of a 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD Bold spread here. On the last slot, HP Ice and Icy Wind could be an option, to get some sort of 'BoltBeam' Combo and not being totally helpless on Excadrill and Ferrothorn and hit incoming Gliscors really hard.

You do realize that in Zen Mode Darmanitan has a base attack of 30. It seems feasible if you're opponent is unaware of it but not very reliable. Anything faster that broke the sub on the switch in/Belly Drum can attack before you do and considering Recoil it wont last too long. You should always use Sheer Force.
but darmanitan isnt in zen mode at 56% health
hopefully theres no sand.....

Multi-Boosting Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
- Wish
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam

I used this sent in 4th gen
and now with excadrill and landoros its way worse
hard hitting earthquakers and faster boosters kill it, plus phazers
it was hard to pull of then in higher teirs
its harder now

Here's a set that I've had success with.

Tornadus w/ Flight Gem
Jolly - Prankster
EVs/ 8 HP/ 248 Atk/ 252 Spd
-Acrobatics
-Brick Break
-Bulk Up
-Tailwind

As a Pokemon, it is very outclassed by Thundurus, who arguably has better STAB, movepool, and support options (Twave). This set abuses what Tornadus has and what Thundurus doesn't. Get it in on an Earthquake or weak resisted move, and Bulk Up if you predict the switch. Makes for a great revenge killer because 1) Most people think of Hurricane abuser when they see a Tornadus, and 2) It outspeeds pokemon that have base 110 speed and low defences (Latios, Gengar, Espeon, etc.). And when he seems like he'll be KO'd, use that priority Tailwind so the next Pokemon to come out can clean up (like a CB Haxorus) or if that Speed Boost Blaziken decides to Protect the first turn (if you play on the PO server and not Smogon). EVs are mostly standard, 8 HP EVs means 301 HP, which means 4 Seismic Tosses are needed to KO.

Giga Drain is more there for bulky waters. With my set, you will be walled by either Dragons, or Steels. No need being walled by another type (Water). If you opt to not run you Water type STAB. You lose the stall war to Chansey/Blissey without Surf though.

Giga Drain is more benefitial overall for taking out Gyarados (if it switches into Stealth Rock), Vaporeon, Milotic, Suicune, Gastrodon, Swampert, Quagsire, and Jellicent.

I know not all of those are threatening in OU Standard play, but all of those (save for Quagy) are threats in GBU.

Also, along side the Acid Spray stat drop, I don't like Hydro Pump's accuracy when Surf will hit a little harder (w/ SpDef drop) than Hydro Pump will (w/o the SpDef drop).
Gyarados is neutral to Ice Beam, so that seems like a better option.

Have you considered Scald? There's a power drop, but burning a Dragon or Steel switchin could be beneficial.

Not the most creative set out there, but it's worked for me. Sorry if this has been posted before but I don't remember it being here.

Pic by Frog of Rock

Subsplit Froslass:
Froslass @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 220 HP / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Pain Split / Shadow Ball
- Blizzard / Ice Beam
- Spikes

Very, VERY trollish in Hail. Spams subs, fishing for a miss, and then Spikes or Blizzard. Heals up nicely against Chansey and Blissey. I'm currently using her on an OU hail team, and she's doing great. In fact, if the opponent doesn't have a Machamp sitting around, it's very easy for her to set up 3 layers of Spikes and then soften the enemy team with Blizzard. The EVs let her reach both a sub and a Leftovers number, although I'm not sure if this is the best idea.

Right now, I'm running her as SubSplit, but I'm also considering giving her Shadow Ball so she can say FUCK YOU to random Ghost and Psychic types. Pairs well with anything that's good with getting rid of Magic Guard abusers and obvious Abomasnow.

This is a set I've only just started messing with, but I think it has a lot of potential:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
184 HP / 8 Atk / 136 SpDef / 182 Spe
Careful / Multiscale

Substitute
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Roost

Straightforward set, right? You sub up on walls, DD, and try to defensively rack up enough boosts to muscle through opponents. Eats defensive teams for breakfast, as with his good bulk and typing, it can easily set up on weaker attacks and Ice Beams. The EVs aim for a mix of speed and bulk, and that after 1 DD you can outspeed Starmie and below so you can SubRoost stall its Ice Beams, though you can shift some speed EVs to attack as long as you hit whatever speed benchmarks you like at +1 (though being slower than Timid Lati@s is a bad idea). Paralysis support can give you the critical opening to set up your Substitute, and steel trapping support from Magnezone is a must unless you aim to set up as a last pokemon (+6 Dragon Claw does 40% minimum to 252/252 Skarmory, which means you can stall it out of Roost recovery and win the residual damage war). Something that can reliably switch in and threaten Blissey/Chansey is also a good idea, such as SubSplit Gengar, or running this set with Toxic Spikes support.
Not really creative anymore since Stone Cold popularized it so much with his rain team, Reflections.

Multi-Boosting Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
- Wish
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam

I like this set a lot. I've been messing around with Doom Desire in the last slot, which is much more successful than I'd have thought. It does leave Jirachi fairly helpless against Steel-types, but it seems relatively easy to get in and out of battle. The best part of using Doom Desire is that it uses the user's Special Attack when it hits, not when it's first used; so you can use Doom Desire, Charge Beam twice, and you'll be launching a 210 BP (thanks to the fact that DD gets STAB in Gen V) attack from a 598 Special Attack stat, which is nothing to laugh at. Obviously PP and hitting Steel-types are major issues, but the combined offensive and defensive power of this Jirachi make it really fun and interesting to use.

That rachi set needs Sub on the last slot.

Also:

Ferrothorn
standard ev spread

Substitute
Thunder
Bulldoze
Leech Seed

amazing counter to common things that totally shut down Ferro. Don't knock it till ya try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)