Monotype crash

Hey! I'm Izaya, a Monotype player. I've been playing Monotype for a little over a year now, and I've been tryna stall my 300th post for this for a while now. This is built around Mega Medicham that's really gained a LOT of popularity a while after the Mega Sableye ban. I built this maybe a week or so after the ban to play my Monotype Seasonals opponent iVid. It ended up being really solid and I've been using it way too much since.

teambuilding process:
Right after the Mega Sableye ban, Mega Medicham became a lot more viable and didn't need to run Gardevoir as a partner to check Mega Sableye. I definitely wanted to build around it because I noticed how iVid loved bringing balanced teams and Mega Medicham basically destroys any defensive cores, allowing the rest of my team to clean up pretty easily.

+
I immediately tossed these two into the team because they formed a really great defensive core to complement Mega Medicham; Jirachi switches into 90% of special attackers especially strong Fairy-types like Mega Diancie, and Slowbro just snacks on physical hits.

Latios gave me a very strong special wallbreaker, hazard control, and a ground resist all in one slot, making it invaluable to the team.

These two Pokemon completed my offensive core. Hoopa-U is just so good right now, and I'd definitely say it's ban worthy. Choice Scarf Victini gave me speed control, another pretty nice wallbreaker, and something to deal with Bug-types which I looked really weak to.

the team:

Medicham-Mega @
| Pure Power
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly

- High Jump Kick

- Ice Punch

- Fake Out

- Thunder Punch

Mega Medicham is probably the best physical wallbreaker in the metagame. Its ability to demolish defensive cores is why I chose to build around it. High Jump Kick is its strongest STAB move, that's really useful in breaking Normal-types like Porygon2 and Chansey, and other Pokemon like Skarmory and Rotom-W. Ice Punch gives me coverage on Dragon- and Flying-types, particularly Garchomp, Dragonite, Landorus-T, and Zapdos. Fake Out is nice to break opposing Focus Sash users, deal chip damage, and get a free Mega Evolution. I decided to run Thunder Punch over Bullet Punch after watching my friend Attribute use it. It can lure in things like Slowbro and Mega Gyarados making Psychic mirrors and Flying matchups easier. It's also nice to revenge kill Skarmory when I don't want to risk High Jump Kick.

Slowbro @
| Regenerator

252 HP / 240 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe | Bold | IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald

- Grass Knot

- Thunder Wave

- Slack Off

Slowbro is really great on all balanced Psychic teams as a defensive wall. It can easily switch into threats such as Choice Band Terrakion and Mega Lopunny. Colbur Berry lets it check Mega Gyarados and Mega Sharpedo with Grass Knot and Thunder Wave, and revenge kill Bisharp with Scald if it's low enough. The EVs allow Slowbro to take a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from a Kingdra. The 4 EVs in Speed are useful in Psychic-type mirrors as it always lets me outspeed opposing Slowbro's.

Jirachi @
| Serene Grace
252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe | Careful
- Stealth Rock

- U-turn

- Thunder Wave

- Iron Head

Jirachi gave the team a solid special wall, and checks Fairy-types which I looked really weak to. The reason I gave up Bullet Punch on Mega Medicham was that I already had a reliable way to things like Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie. I really like Thunder Wave over Toxic here because it helps my 4 wallbreakers clean up more easily. Wish is something I've run over U-turn, but it results in a loss of momentum which is important on a team like this. Jirachi can also act as a one-time switch-in to X-Scissor from Choice Band Excadrill and Choice Scarf Heracross.

Latios @
| Levitate

252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid | IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psyshock

- Draco Meteor

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Defog

Latios. It's easily become one of my favorite Pokemon to throw on any Psychic team. It gives hazard control, a ground resist that's pretty relevant when playing Excadrill, and a strong special wallbreaker. It has so many great coverage moves, reliable recovery in Roost, and a great speed tier, making it a mini Hoopa-U. I definitely need Psyshock because I lack Psychic STAB on this team. I opted for Hidden Power Fire over Roost or a coverage move because it stopped Doublade, Bisharp and Scizor from using Latios as setup fodder. It also hits Ferrothorn which is pretty nice.

Hoopa-Unbound @
| Magician

60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe | Hasty
- Dark Pulse

- Drain Punch

- Thunderbolt

- Substitute

Hoopa-U patches up this teams weaknesses, and gives a REALLY strong mixed wallbreaker. Dark Pulse is its most spammable move, Drain Punch hits Heatran, Bisharp, and Doublade, and Thunderbolt gives me coverage on Water- and Flying-types like Politoed, Gyarados, Colbur Berry Slowbro, and Mandibuzz. Energy Ball is an option over Thunderbolt to OHKO bulky Water / Ground types, but Dark Pulse 2HKOs them anyway. Choice Specs Hoopa-U forms a very strong offensive core with Mega Medicham, but I prefer Life Orb due to its ability to check Bisharp with Substitute + Drain Punch.

Victini @
| Victory Star

252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe | Naive
- V-create

- Bolt Strike

- Blue Flare

- U-turn

Victini's easily the best Choice Scarf Pokemon in the metagame. The set's pretty standard with V-create as a strong STAB move, Bolt Strike to hit Water-types like Gyarados, Blue Flare to have a more reliable STAB to spam late-game, and U-turn to gain momentum. Victini is really important in the Bug matchup, where it acts as a Volcarona check. Once Volcarona's gone, it can pretty much spam Blue Flare for the rest of the game.

threatlist:

Dark-types:- I have a reliable way to deal with all of them; Hoopa-U + Slowbro for Bisharp, Thunder Wave Slowbro for Sharpedo, and Grass Knot Slowbro + Victini for Gyarados. They could become a problem if Colbur Berry is wasted, however.

Bug-types:- Scoilpede, Heracross and Volcarona can easily run through the team late-game. My check to Bug-types is basically Blue Flare Victini. Scizor isn't too much of a problem while Victini is around, although if it sets up late-game when Victini is weakened it can be a huge threat.
Excadrill:- Yeah this thing can break the team so easily with Choice Band. I gotta scout what it's using with Slowbro and then switch into the appropriate 'mon after.

replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-405287642 g1 of my ssnls vs iVid, I think I played pretty well had to win a couple of 50/50s but choked last turn lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-405294402 g2 vs Flying
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-410733348 vs HO Psychic
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-406874192 vs Grass
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gracidea-monotype-18371 vs Normal
these were all I could find 'cause I didn't save many replays although there were a couple of good ones on my lt3 alt but those replays don't work

import:

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Thunder Punch

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hi, love the team and the RMT itself! I just have one minor suggestion for you:

I recommend switching Thunder Wave on Jirachi for Toxic. Toxic allows it to deal with bulk Defog users, such as Zapdos, which stalls out Stealth Rock through Pressure. Additionally, it also lets Jirachi beat bulky walls, such as Porygon2, that it otherwise cannot break through.
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Iron Head
gl!
why am i not first shoutout btw ;

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Cool rmt Izaya, I just have a few suggestions to improve the team.

On Hoopa-Unbound you already have enough Electric type attacks on Mega Medicham and Victini while not really carrying any grass type coverage on your team. Energy Ball -> Thunderbolt 100% as Energy Ball still allows you to hit the Pokemon thunderbolt hit except while being able to handle Water and Ground types as well such as Gastrodon and Seismitoad. This also helps you deal overall with more types and gives your team overall more coverage options. I realize you put this in other sets but I would recommend using it 100% over Thunderbolt as Mandibuzz isn't to common anyway.

Victini's moveset is pretty solid and helps against the Bug monotypes but it leaves Victini to a roll against Scarfed Heracross as 4 SpA doesn't ohko the threat 100% of the time. 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Speed -> 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe. This new set allows Victini to ohko Heracross 100% of the time with Blue Flare while still hitting with V-Create with lots of power.
32 SpA Victini Blue Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 302-356 (100.3 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Medicham in combination with its ability Pure Power doubles its Physical attack makes it an extremely potent attacker. However with Jolly it doesn't hit with as much power as it could with an Adamant Nature -> Jolly Nature. While Medicham does then lose speed ties to other base 100s such as Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir and Manaphy it has appropriate switchins into each such as Latios on Manaphy and Charizard Y and Jirachi on Mega Gardevoir as it can easily wall any attack Mega Gardevoir uses against it. With those teammates that can handle the other base 100 threats I would use an Adamant Nature on Mega Medicham.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Drain Punch
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Thunder Punch

Hope these suggestions help!!

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, this is pretty much the same psychic team I run with some different sets, but obviously the team is pretty OP. Just the few nitpicks if I may -

Adamant on medi is just better choice as it 2hkoes slowbro more comfortably and just bodies most of the flying team itself. Also guaranteeing some more KOes for example 100% chance to kill rotom-wash after rocks which could be an annoyance if it lives. But it's more of a trade off as jolly allows you to out speed tank-chomp pre-mega evolution so that you can freely ice punch it before it does anything.
Tbh one thing I have noticed that you can have ice beam + energy ball on latios to almost mow over ground teams as most of their mons are basically 4x weak to either of those hits. Draco hits most of the psyshock's intended targets pretty hard anyways. Though this means you should run psyshock on hoopa which allows it to break that annoying zapdos-skarm core without needing rocks. Also since you have pretty good defensive core as well as u-turn support maybe specs hoopa over life orb as damage output of the former is just higher.
One more thing, that you can consider is healing wish over u-turn as you have 3 breakers and 1 cleaner, so I am sure most of them would love a second chance later in the match as well as allow you to play a bit more recklessly earlier in the game for example medicham against normal or even dark to some extent, victini against bug, hoopa against any slow team, lati against ground and possibly fire etc.

Most of the other stuff is pretty good though. Best of luck :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)