Codename: H. I. G. H. A. F.

This team was a project of mine that developed long ago, after long, deep hours of rigorous testing and research. Only when I felt that the team was at its perfection, did I fina-....

Just kidding. This team got its name because it all came to me all at once when I was.... well you know (title). I haven't played competitively in a couple years, and just started gen 6 a couple weeks ago. I just came up with this team a few days ago, and I've had a lot of success with it. It's peaked (so far) in the upper 1600's (1687 maybe?), but in no means has it come to a plateau; I just feel that there are a couple things I can do differently to really get this team up to the top.

So, without boring you any more, here's the team.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Levitate
Impish- 252 HP/ 40 ATK/ 216 DEF

Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-Turn
Knock Off

This is (kind of) the standard pivot Landorus. I put 40 EV's into attack for a little more punch, and 216 Def hits a jump point. He's great at coming in to take a physical attack thanks to intimidate, and the fighting resist. EQ for stab and to pokemon like aegislash, excadrill, tyranitar, etc. hard. Stone edge to cover flying types, and u-turn to grab some momentum on a switch. Knock off was used over SR because of Defog Latios. I'll talk more about that later.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Moxie (Mold Breaker)
Adamant- 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang

I really had doubts about this guy at first. I went through so many different megas before trying him and was SO much more impressed with this guy than I thought I would be. I actually finally decided to try him after trying to make a Landorus + Aegislash core. I wanted a pokemon that would help them effectively resist every type at least once, and Water/Dark does just that. He's just bulky enough to take some hits and set up a DD in someone's face. The best time to use this monster is mid-way through the battle, set up a DD when potential counters have been weakened just enough, and take out ~3 opponents. Moxie is to try and get a KO before mega-evolving, although it hasn't happened even once. I'd like to use intimidate to stop Physical Attackers more easily, but I'm scared of giving Bisharp the defiant boost, ans this is usually my go-to against him.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Stance Change
Modest- 252 HP/ 252 SPA / 4 SPE

King's Shield
Shadow Ball
Sacred Sword
Flash Cannon

The third part of my core and one of the best pokemon in the metagame. There is seldom a battle that he doesn't pull his weight. Shadow Ball is for obvious STAB, Flash Cannon for more STAB and to kill fairies (don't see the point in Iron head), and sacred sword is there to cover Blissey/ Heatran (LOL NO). Actually sacred sword doesn't do enough to either of those pokemon so it kind of seems useless. Blissey can heal all the damage off, and heatran only takes like 40% and will rape me with stab fuego.

Latios @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid- 4 HP / 252 SPA / 252 SPE

Defog
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Thunderbolt

Latios: Dead Weight #1. I brought Latios into the mix as a defogger. Because of this, I thought it was dumb for me to run SR on Lando since i'd be cleaning up my own hazards. But boy do I miss Rocks... Draco Meteor spam doesnt work like it used to with fairies and Aegislash around, so he doesnt really do much usually. Bummer.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Gale Wings
Adamant- 92 HP / 252 ATK/ 164 SPE

Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Tailwind

Aaannnddd dead weight #2. I brought a Talonflame into the mix because its hard to reliably kill check Aegislash without fire stab. But its not hard when he can just King's Shield my Flare Blitz anyway. Regardless, this guy dies way. too. fast. If I cant get defog off, then 50% of my health is blown straight away. Not to mention that my 2 most used moves hurt me. But he's what I'm using, so meh. The moves and set don't need much explaining, except maybe tailwind. It's actually saved my ass before but doesn't get used much; only in times of desperation. My second most replaceable behind Latios.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Teravolt
Mild- 56 ATK / 252 SPA / 200 SPE

Substitute
Ice Beam
Earth Power
Fusion Bolt

This guy rocks socks. Set up a sub on a force-out, and go to work on everything not named Blissey, Chansey, Clefable, Scizor and Sylveon. The amount of pokemon this guy can run through is INSANE. Ice beam for STAB and to kill lots of everything; Earth Power to kill things ice beam wont like Heatran, Aegislash, and rotom-x. Fusion Bolt is for things Azumarill, but isn't used all that much.

Considered Changes:

-Replacing Talonflame
-Replacing Latios
-Adding SR

What I'd really like to accomplish with changes:

-Keep a strong fire attack (preferably special)
-I need a better way to deal with Blissey
-Ability to lose defogger (AKA no 4x SR weakness)

Anything you can thing of that could make this team better would be appreciated. Throw some ideas at me, and I'm willing to test them out.

Maybe mixed infernape? It can take blissey and can run a powerful special fire attack with overheat/fire blast. It also is neutral to rocks thanks to its secondary fighting typing. Here is a set -

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 200 Atk / 56 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn/Mach Punch/Grass Knot/Hidden Power [Ice]

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi!

This is definitely a pretty solid team, but there are definitely some issues that it faces. First of all, a team without Stealth Rock is just not going to do very well. It breaks Sturdy, Focus Sash, helps deal with Charizards, Mega Pinsir, Thundurus, etc. It is pretty much essential. Next, I see a bit of a Mega Mawile weakness on your team, as you don't really have anything that can deal with it, as Play Rough does a ton to Landorus-T and it has no problem simply switching out or tanking an EQ and hitting Landorus again. I would use Stealth Rock over Knock Off on Landorus-T. This is a simple change, but one that I feel your team has to make. Next, if you aren't liking Latios as a Defogger, I would suggest you switch Latios for Mandibuzz. Mandibuzz can help your team better handle Aegislash if you feel Talonflame isn't a good enough check (which it really isn't), while still providing the Defog your team desperately needs. If you want, you can even run a specially defensive spread if you want a better check to Landorus, as this removes your best Keldeo check outside of Gyarados. Finally, you might want to try a Will-O-Wisp Bulk Up set on Talonflame. This in addition to Landorus-T should give you a decent way of handling Mawile. Talonflame has surprising bulk and can Roost stall Mawile once it has been burned.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef OR 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Taunt
- Roost

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Hey! I think Halcyon said most of the things that need changing, but I'm gonna suggest a few things further.

I'm pretty much seconding the use of SR on Lando-T, as he is pretty reliable in setting it up. This gen is more about smart hazard placement, rather than just spamming them at turn 1, so Defog and SR don't contradict eachother, you need to just coordinate the use of these 2 moves. Also, why have you decided to run Speed on Aegislash? With King's shield and Leftovers, you take more advantage in slow speed, so I suggest you put those 4 EVs elsewhere and use a Quiet nature. If you are not satisfied with Sacred Sword, I suggest replacing it with either Shadow Sneak or pursuit, as the former is a great revenge-killing tool, whereas Pursuit lets you trap targets such as Lati@s, Deo-S, Alakazam and other Psychic Pokemon. I suggest you run atleast 208 Speed on Talonflame to outspeed M-Pinsir's Quick Attack, which could be important, as your Talonflame is the best check to M-Pinsir in your team. Good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)