Choice Scarf Stall - OU

Introduction

My third RMT now. As mentioned in my other RMTs, I'm not a noob but not a super pro either. I can say that I am quite experienced though.
The mechanics of Pokemon Lab haven't all been completed yet, and some glitches like Delcatty, as well as the fact that the Smogon server is down and Pokemonexperte doesn't ban Salamence nor Latias has been quite annoying to play with. I had worked on this team for a while, and then I brought it to TeamUber for some testing. It hardly ever lost, and I was wondering if it was luck or something, because my first time testing it went so well, or maybe less experienced players were on the server.
I played against a variety of teams, including hail teams and rain dance teams, and a baton pass team. I'm proud to say that they got ripped apart.

Team Building

Okay I admit, this team will not be as weird / interesting as the title says, but it is related in a way.

In an issue of the Smog, I saw an interesting Heatran set that was similar to TormentTran, but could work better in certain situations, and didn't work as well in others. I had tested this before, and I liked this Sub Roar version.

CeleTran seemed very effective, as I believe that together they resist every type in the game bar Rock, which Celebi takes quite well. I had used Vaporeon many times before, and was a great Infernape counter, as otherwise Infernape would rip apart CeleTran. Vaporeon could also pass Wish to Heatran, who could only recover using Leftovers. As you can see, this is the Fire/Water/Grass core.

I wanted a Skarmory lead, which naturally comes with a spin blocker. I had tried SR/Spikes/Roost/Whirlwind Skarmory in the lead slot which proved to be very effective against the likes of Swampert and Metagross, but failed to Taunt leads and sleep inducing leads such as Smeargle and Roserade. I tried a Taunt + Lum Berry set instead, and it was very effective. A Choice Scarf Rotom-W could work as a spin blocker, which naturally means that Rapid Spin Starmie is checked quite well, as both STAB moves hit it super effectively. Meanwhile, an opponent Tyranitar locked into Pursuit let any of my other members (except Celebi) set up.

The last Pokemon would be Tyranitar. Tyranitar could set up the sandstorm for Heatran to stall effectively, and when combined with entry hazards, would work very well.

After looking over the team a few more times, I realized that Tyranitar's life wouldn't need to be too long, while Rotom-W was Choice Scarfed and could easily be taken out by Pursuit, so that left only Heatran to pass Wish to, which wasn't enough for Vaporeon to waste a team slot checking Infernape, Suicune, and Gyarados while Gyarados could replace Vaporeon by checking Infernape and opposing Gyarados. I figured I would deal with Suicune differently, which will be explained later. Using Gyarados kept the F/W/G core, which I tend to use a lot.

This is a cool team.

In Depth

Skarmory

Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Impish (+Def -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Ability: Keen Eye / Sturdy (on the ladder it makes no difference)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Roost

I'm not sure how many people actually use the Smogon 252/240/16 set, but I assume most people use 252/252/4 with defenses. However, if someone were to use the Smogon Skarmory set, then I could still outspeed the opponent and Taunt them. One special defense point isn't a lot, while preventing opposing Skarmory from setting up is probably worth more.

Other than that, the set is quite straightforward. Why this set isn't on Smogon's analysis is beyond me, but it makes a great lead. Against opposing Machamp, I am guarateed to lay down Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes, even after a critical hit, as Lum Berry cures Skarmory of confusion, and DynamicPunch is only a 3HKO. Sleep leads such as Breloom, Roserade, and Smeargle are forced to switch or helplessly attack after Skarmory's Lum Berry cures it of sleep and it can Taunt, preventing a subsequent status. This works especially well against Choice Scarf sleep leads, as they are forced to switch the next turn unless they want to Struggle.

Entry hazards is vital to Heatran's success. If the opposing lead carries a move to dispose of Skarmory, I will not take any chances and switch to the appropriate check.

Many people say that Skarmory sucks as a lead, but he works very well against leads such as Ninjask, Swampert, Machamp, and Metagross by using Taunt against the three that aren't Machamp. However, Metagross will usually have Starmie in the same team, and Machamp will usually have Heatran.

Obviously, my team has a way of dealing with those who can KO Skarmory. Example:
Starmie: I switch to Celebi, as the last thing that Starmie would do is use Ice Beam against Skarmory.
Infernape: Go to Gyarados who resists Infernape's STABS while being able to KO with Waterfall, or switch to Tyranitar on a Fake Out, Fire Blast, or Stealth Rock to break its Focus Sash and then switch to Gyarados and KO.
Heatran: Tyranitar hardly takes any damage from Fire Blast, and Earth Power and Explosion won't be severely crippling Tyranitar either, allowing Tyranitar to set up a Substitute and deal with Heatran or the switch in from there.
Dragonite: I've never faced a Dragonite lead yet, but Fire Blast has a chance to OHKO Skarmory, which is a good reason to switch out. Gyarados can deal with Dragonite. Tyranitar leads can be dealt with by Gyarados as well, as they would probably carry a fire type move.
Taunters: can be KOed by Rotom-W.

Heatran

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Calm (+SpD -Atk)
EVs: 244 HP / 32 SpA / 12 SpD / 220 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire
- Substitute
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

The star of the team. Heatran comes in late game, when there isn't much prediction to do, and messes up the opposition. Substitute blocks status, KOs, and eases prediction, while Roar gets rid of Pokemon that cause trouble for Heatran. Burns from Lava Plume are awesome, as it allows Heatran to actually cripple Flygon and Gliscor. 220 Speed EVs allows Heatran to outspeed Pokemon that are one point faster than maximum speed Tyranitar. Earth Power is good for coverage, hitting Pokemon such as Heatran, Infernape, and Tentacruel.

This Heatran is not you standard fire absorber, fire type attacks are usually taken by Gyarados and Tyranitar, unless the opponent is Choice locked into a fire-type move.

Celebi

Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Bold (+Def -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 172 SpA / 24 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
- Trick
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Grass Knot

I admit, this is kind of a gimmick, but no one expects TrickScarf on a Celebi. Celebi is guaranteed to perfectly outspeed and OHKO Timid Starmie after either Life Orb recoil, or Stealth Rock damage with Grass Knot. However, Celebi also has the choice to use Thunder Wave, and come back later to surprise something like Blissey with a Trick. HP is maxed out for overall bulk, while 24 Speed EVs ensure that +1 Celebi will always outspeed Starmie without a Choice Scarf. 172 Special Attack EVs ensures that Celebi will always deal at least 90% damage to Starmie. The rest of the EVs were put into defense to improve Celebi's physical walling ability. This set is designed to take out / cripple lead Starmie threatening Skarmory, but it also works against other things. As mentioned, Thunder Wave can cripple common switch ins (except Flygon), and after Thunder Wave is used, no one expects a Choice Scarf set anymore, increasing the chances of getting the scarf onto a wall such as Blissey, a common switch in.

Thunder Wave may seem weird for this team. At first, Gyarados was going to use a Substitute + Thunder Wave set, while Tyranitar uses a Rest + Sleep Talk set with Thunder Wave. This would greatly help Heatran with hax and his speed problem, but later Gyarados and Tyranitar swapped roles and both lost Thunder Wave. Meanwhile, I had forgotten about Celebi, but Thunder Wave cripples those with a Choice Scarf severely, and common switch ins to Celebi such as Heatran and Infernape.

Choice Scarf + Thunder Wave makes a good combination, and can seriously cripple Pokemon such as CroCune, and even offensive Calm Mind Suicune.

Please don't tell me to switch to a regular Celebi set, I have never had success with Celebi until I came up with this set. I may trade one move for another attack, but the standard sets just don't work for me.

Gyarados

Nature: Impish (+Def -SpA)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Ability: Intimidate
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Waterfall

I normally don't like RestTalk sets, but Sleep Talk allows Gyarados to have a neutral priority Roar, allowing it to even phaze slower Pokemon before they get a chance to attack. Intimidate combined with maximum defenses makes physical attackers weep at Gyarados, while Gyarados can just Roar the switch in to rack up more entry hazard damage. Waterfall provides good STAB coverage, and can deal reasonable damage to Gliscor.

Switching into Stealth Rock repeatedly + Sandstorm damage means that Gyarados cannot survive for a long time without Rest. His ability to check threats such as Infernape, Breloom, and CroCune makes Gyarados even more appealing.

Rotom-W

Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump

As predictable as Rotom-W is, this set is quite effective. It works as a spin blocker (as most Rotom-A do), and it is a great revenge killer. Lead TrickScarf Jirachi can't touch this set, making Rotom-W a great switch in, as Jirachi can severely cripple Skarmory with Trick. Although Celebi can also absorb Trick, Celebi cannot take Jirachi's attacks as well as Rotom-W can, such as Iron Head, Fire Punch, and U-Turn.

Rotom-W also makes a good initial switch in to lead Aerodactyl or Azelf, capable of outspeeding and 2HKOing both, while immune to Azelf's Explosion.

As Celebi only reaches 363 speed + 1 attack with terrible and unreliable coverage, Celebi is no where near a revenge killer. If a Pokemon troubles my team and I decide that it deserves a Choice Scarf, Celebi will trick first, as Rotom-W is the revenge killer and must keep its Choice Scarf until it is safe to dispose of it.

Tyranitar

Nature: Quiet (+SpA -Spe)
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 176 SpA / 20 Spe
Ability: Sand Stream
- Substitute
- Crunch / Dark Pulse
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar threatens many Pokemon such as Heatran, so he gets many chances to switch in and Substitute, then wreak havoc. Focus Punch may not be as strong as Breloom's but is still stronger than Crunch or Dark Pulse, and it OHKOs Blissey. Crunch is stronger than Dark Pulse on its own, but common Tyranitar switch ins can take physical assaults quite well, so Dark Pulse may be a better choice. Ice Beam is to catch Dragonite, Hippowdon, and Flygon off guard, while smashing Tyranitar's best counter, Gliscor, to pieces.

This set is a great wall breaker, and it also supports the rest of the team with Sandstorm, especially Heatran. Common Tyranitar checks are easily taken out, such as Lucario and Infernape with Focus Punch, and Gliscor with Ice Beam. Flamethrower was not used, as the rest of the team deals with Scizor, Skarmory, and Metagross quite well.

Please give constructive criticism. Try not to be rude, and please give me suggestions (:

Threat List

Well I haven't posted even one threat list for any of my RMTs yet, but until the team has been approved by many people and seems to be a very successful team, I will not waste my time with a threat list.

This looks like a good team overall, hasn't been getting rates, hopefully mine will patch up the few weaknesses it has.

This is a very nice team, and has covered most problematic threats well. Tyranitar has the potential to be troublesome, so play carefully with Skarmory, in fact I think you should bump up its Speed EVs to at least 40. This is because Choice Band Tyranitar, is currently faster than with the current speed investment, and will 2HKO Skarmory with Stone Edge. Nothing will then stop it from abusing its unresisted attack. With 40 Speed EVs you outspeed the majority of CB Tyranitar, Roost to gain the Rock- type immunity, and take squat from Stone Edge, potentially stalling out it's PP. I also personally think Heatran's spread should become 252 HP|252 SDEF|4 SPE with a Calm nature, and Fire Blast|Earth Power|Protect|Roar. I don't see what you're trying to do with 220 Spe EVs and a Calm nature; You say that it outspeeds everything that wants to outspeed Tyranitar by one point, which are actually Skarmory and Magnezone, two things that fear Heatran, thus wasting those 220 Speed EVs. With this specially defensive set you take on offensive Electric- types such as LO Zapdos, Jolteon and Rotom-A better. Leech Seed Shaymin with Earth Power becomes less of a bother, doing 65% max, and getting fried by a full on Fire Blast. Mixed Dragonite and Flygon seem like they could be a pain in the ass for this team, like for any other Stall team. I think Hidden Power Ice over Shadow Ball on Rotom-W is the way to go; Shadow Ball is merely for Gengar and other Rotom-A, which are handled very well by the aforementioned Heatran set. The Celebi set looks dead weight at best, you're focusing way too much on countering one Pokemon, Starmie. Celebi barely contributes much to the goal of the team, which is stalling out the opponent. Plus Rotom can revenge Starmie very well if the need arises. Instead, I think you should try a 252 HP/76 Satk/180 Spe, Timid Shaymin with Seed Flare|Protect|Leech Seed|HP Fire over Celebi. This little guy can handle Starmie and other assorted water types incredibly well. It also does an awesome job of building residual damage on the opponent, which is the initial goal of this, or any Stall team; Opponent switches in as you Leech seed, while eating up Spikes and Stealth Rock damage, you Protect, they lose a little health, you switch to Heatran on their Bug/Ice/Fire/Flying/Poison attack, they lose more health, Protect with Heatran, more health is sapped. Just like this you would have eaten up nearly half, or even more than half of their health. Imagine what would happen if they were to switch in again on the little hedgehog. You can experiment with the nature and EVs, the current speed investment and nature allow you to outspeed offensive Suicune, but you want that "oomph" in your attacks. You can also try 252 Satk/252 Spe if you like the immediate offense, but spikes damage is good enough to compensate for the slightly less damage input with 76 Satk, and I'd prefer the bulk over the power, especially on a team like this.

Please note that before i go into this im not an experienced rater by any stretch of the imagination but i think you should hear me out. Im in a predicament similar to yours that i cant test out my team on anywhere but team uber so maybe we'll see each other.

I think this team is fairly interesting... yet i think it could use a little help. I like the scarfed rotom and the taunt skarm lead i used to use those myself. However, i think, like TLK, that your celebi is complete dead weight. It is WAY over centralized to starmie, who is a large threat yet you already have it covered with rotom. I would recommend something that could help you wall special attackers and heal status and your team. What I would recommend is a blissey. I know that blissey is very standard for stall and that its unoriginal but it works so well and would fit this team very well to me. Right now, your team has difficulty taking very powerful special attackers like specs jolteon, empoleon, and porygon z (ill admit pz was kinda random...). A blissey would allow you to beat these threats and IMO help you out more than that celebi is. Besides that, i think your team is good. You might want to include a rapid spinner/toxic spike person like tentacruel but thats up to you.

Here is the blissey set that i think you should use
24hp 252def 224spdef Calm nature
Aromatherapy/wish
softboiled/protect
toxic
seismic toss/flamethrower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)