Item Choice Band and Choice Specs (Viable Users, and Current Role in the Metagame)

Status
Not open for further replies.
greninja could be choice banded if a focus shash is taken up, though it maybe common knowledge by now, greninja is a good physical attacker as he is a special, choice band protean u turn could possibly make him the best scout in the game (arguably) and also along with a charizard killer, rock slide, and aerial ace and waterfall for type coverage
Life orb is Greninja's preffered item because it allows him to switch up moves.

Also is choice band Ferrothorn still viable? It was a pretty suprising set last gen that was able to kill Magnezone and Heatran which were it's biggest enemies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Also is choice band Ferrothorn still viable? It was a pretty suprising set last gen that was able to kill Magnezone and Heatran which were it's biggest enemies.
Honestly, the main and probably only attraction of Banded Greninja is the ability to go for a high-powered U-Turn. There's no point in switching moves when the movez you're picking is U-Turn or Volt Switch. Furthermore, Life Orb limists the amount of U-Turn you can pull off.

However, Banded Greninja is pretty mediocre outside of spamming U-Turn, since all of its physical moves are pretty weak, so I'm not sure about its viability.

Last edited:

I find it to be rather viable. Steel got a buff offensively thanks to Fairy-types and Gyro Ball+Power Whip+Bulldoze offers very good neutral coverage and not bad super-effective coverage. Ferrothorn can also switch in multiple thanks times to its resistance to SR and immunity to Toxic Spikes. I think the main drawback is that even with a Choice Band, it's still not THAT powerful (I may run some calcs).

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Choice Band Ferrothorn is really making my brain hurt....

Magnezone is the only pokemon you'd want for that, and it is kind of rare in this gen, and Heatran beats you, unless it switches in on you (while it happens quite a bit, it still doesn't warrant a a Band). Bulldoze could be viable, but adding a Choice Band on a wall that is great as Ferrothorn, and making it lose it's supporting movepool doesn't seem like it's worth it IMHO.

Choice Band Ferrothorn is really making my brain hurt....

Magnezone is the only pokemon you'd want for that, and it is kind of rare in this gen, and Heatran beats you, unless it switches in on you (while it happens quite a bit, it still doesn't warrant a a Band). Bulldoze could be viable, but adding a Choice Band on a wall that is great as Ferrothorn, and making it lose it's supporting movepool doesn't seem like it's worth it IMHO.
I guess choice band Ferrothorn isn't great but some sort of honorable mention is good for Ferrothorn.

Should you include the Choice Scarf?
Choice Scarf was given a separate thread because of its unique function. While Band and Specs allow you to augment your offenses to obtain extra kills, or pressure your opponents, Choice Scarf lets you "Revenge Kill" faster (and often frailer) threats, or complicate your opponent's prediction by surprising them with your speed.

Tl;dr: Band/Specs are for holepunching, Scarf is for grabbing kills and momentum.

AwesomeFennekin

Banned deucer.
Choice Scarf was given a separate thread because of its unique function. While Band and Specs allow you to augment your offenses to obtain extra kills, or pressure your opponents, Choice Scarf lets you "Revenge Kill" faster (and often frailer) threats, or complicate your opponent's prediction by surprising them with your speed.

Tl;dr: Band/Specs are for holepunching, Scarf is for grabbing kills and momentum.
Oh Ok. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)