ORAS Doubles OU Chariots of Dust and Fire

~~~This soundtrack from the 1981 film "Chariots of Fire" will always be one of the best.~~~

How's it going once again, Smogon community? Like always, it's me Majore, in to bring you some of my latest creations. This time, it's going to be quite a good one. Today, I'm showing you a team featuring a playstyle that is slowly on the rise of popularity: Sand.

Yeah. This time, Sand will be the focal point of my team. Also, there's quite a scarce amount of good DOU teams, most of which come from more experienced players, so there is not really a big DOU community right now. I just hope though that the DOU community will grow with more fresh players coming from all parts of Smogon. Alright to the real thing. I decided to build a sand team because it's still quite an underrated playstyle which most ladder players [most of them actually really being dumb at the meta] and the tier overall doesn't really prepare itself that much for, though it has a lot of big advantages that the rest of the weather styles don't really have. Sand possesses the fastest viable weather sweeper in Excadrill, which performs extremely well in many match-ups. Also, Sand discourages Cresselia from healing a lot with Moonlight and breaks sashed 'mons. It's basically an anti-weather style right now.

Since I wouldn't really need to make such a long intro, let's jump right onto the team!

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

There is never a competitive weather team either in any Singles or Doubles metagame without an actual weather setter, and not even a competitive weather team without a weather abuser. Sand has one of the best, reliable weather setters compared to many other setters. Tyranitar can run a more diverse amount of sets compared to most setters, which make it a great pick.

Excadrill, for those people who actually don't notice it, is the fastest weather abuser once its share of Sand is finally on its side. It's also got some great synergy with Tyranitar, taking away Fairies that threaten the giant weather setter. It's also the only viable choice for a sand sweeper.

This next idea actually just slipped to my mind, when I come to think of which Pokemon can actually take advantage of residual sand damage that has the ability to hit hard at the same time. Also, lack of special firepower turns you to Intimidate lure. Suddenly, Victini entered my mind. With balanced stats overall, it's a very strong choice for my next Pokemon. It also prevents Breloom from doing much to the team, which is helpful for the duo.

At this point, I've got triple ground and water weaknesses, which actually hurts for sand because the sand duo is weak to fighting and water, and the addition of Victini alleviated my water and Ground weaknesses a lot more. I need an immediate solution to this problem, and Rotom-W was the solution to it. Rotom provides speed control, ground and water resist for the team which is really great.

A single water resist is never enough to finish off the equation versus water types. Still, Keldeo and Terrakion remained a huge problem for the team, which brings me to my next Pokemon, Amoonguss. It provides us with a neat Trick Room answer and an additional water and fairy resist, though I don't really have troble dealing with Fairy types. Also, Spore spam is bae.

Teams are never complete without a Mega Evolution [unless you're playing in a tier with little to no mega at all]. Mega Heracross is actually a nice fit, because every other partner supports it really well in taking away its threats, such as Talonflame, Fairies etc. Also, Mega Heracross hits like a trailer truck with a colossal 185 Attack.

The first version of the team seemed very solid, though the lack of Intimidate gives opponents less pressure versus this team. Also, Mega Heracross isn't really much of a Fighting switch-in, which my team still has trouble against. Gyarados retains Rotom's original role of being a ground and water switch-in, and something that still provides speed control with Thunder Wave, though it has Intimidate this time around.

While Mega Heracross was still a really great pick, I was still really weak to Ground types with no secondary Ground switch-in. Also, Mega Heracross is actually best brought out mid to late game, so there's really no use for it to switch to ground types all the time, so I need to find an immediate ground check. Zapdos fulfills this role well, providing outside speed control with Tailwind, and it's really bulky overall. This made me change Mega Heracross to Mega Tyranitar, which is still a great choice for a Mega evolution.

THE TEAM IN DETAIL

Roars of the Sky (Tyranitar) (M) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

If there is a viable Mega Evolution that can effectively kick up weather for its particular team, there can only be 2: Mega Charizard-Y and this fat guy right here. Comparing the 2 megas, this guy is actually way fatter than most of your "popular" mega evolutions, having a total defensive stat of 100/150/120, which is incredibly huge compared to most other megas that die quickly. Anyway, Sand is actually an anti-meta weather archetype, because it's a weather condition that defies particular norms of the metagame, like:
  • Disabling the effect of Focus Sash. Bringing away the effects of Focus Sash can mean a lot. This destroys the commonly great purpose of particular Pokemon like Breloom, which is also quite a nuisance.
  • Moonlight healing 25% under Sand. Cresselia is actually threatened by Sand in terms of long run recovery. Having sand up in the battlefield can greatly change the effect of Cresselia's most viable recovery move, and will not guarantee to stay for long under Sand.
  • Item scouting. One way to determine whether you're going to hit Spore on something is to see whether a Pokemon is having Safety Goggles, because those users aren't affected at all by Sand damage.
Though I want to discuss some more, I'd rather not make things so lengthy and go straight to my point. Mega Tyranitar was chosen obviously because of Mega Evolution, sand setting and a potential late game cleaner. It's also a good counter to things like Talonflame and a slight check to Charizard Y. Dragon Dance is a great move to boost stats, especially with a whopping 164 Base Attack. Rock Slide and Crunch, because that is the only viable thing you should run on DDtar. And Protect, duh. The EV Spread was something I caught in this website, so just let me know what it does. Even without any particular defensive investment, it still survives a great amount of attacks.
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 194-230 (56.8 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 186-218 (54.5 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 204-242 (59.8 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Darude Rusher (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

There will never be a weather team without anyone or anything to abuse it, and Excadrill is the best Pokemon that fulfills this role. If there is anyone who doesn't actually realize it, Excadrill is the fastest weather abuser that outspeeds even your common weather sweepers under Sand. Also, it's got great coverage for Pokemon, from having Flying and Fire coverage to even Fairy and Steel. Even under Sand, it's still a force that cannot be stopped not even by your ever trusted Thundurus that cannot even inflict Thunder Wave on this guy.

The reason I went for Drill Run is to avoid being WG blocked by Aegislash and I risk losing important Pokemon when using EQ. Rock Slide, because Flying types. Iron Head says goodbye to your lovely fairies and Protect, duh. The EV Spread was something I took from an XY Doubles Team Showcase forum some time ago, and it works well. It survives a Skymin's Earth Power 75% of the time and still outspeeds Deo-A in Sand/Tailwind.

Chariot of Fire (Victini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Blue Flare
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

This is a really strong set, and I hardly regret using it. Victini is a great partner for the duo, because it can blow through particular threats under Substitute. Also, Victory Star gives Rock Slide only a 1% miss chance instead of 10%, which is pretty crucial if you need to bring something down. It also provides a role of being the primary Special Attacker, which is really important to not be fully baited by Intimidate. Under Subsititute, it can become a serious threat, with much people not really expecting what's next.

Substitute is the epitome of this set's success, giving people some really difficult time to predict what's coming for them. With the 263 Speed that Victini has, it's guaranteed that you get a Sub before anything bad happens, like getting Spore'd by someone. Blue Flare with max+ SpA hits badly to anything that doesn't even resist it. Though there are particular Pokemon that survive like SpD Amoonguss, it's still a trailer truck that hits like a warhead. Thunderbolt gives you great coverage over a particular amount of water types under Sub like Keldeo and Gyarados, which makes your life easier. Finally, much Protect, duh. The EV Spread is the same thing used for Bulky Modest Charizard-Y and still works with this guy because it's got quite equal stats, and it survives this:
252 Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Victini: 254-302 (67.1 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Victini: 330-393 (87.3 - 103.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Flying Tempura (Gyarados) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Gyarados is a very flexible slot 4, because it provides 4 important things: ground and water switch-in, Rage Powder/Spore preventer, speed control and Intimidate. Entry stat drops are very important for many DOU teams because of how strong and prevalent physical attackers are, and Gyarados might be an unorthodox but great choice. It also provides one of 2 other speed control tools aside from Sand Rush, because over time you'd lose Sand/your sand sweeper, therefore turning your team to something slow.

Taunt is a very useful tool that prevents particular set-up moves from happening such as Wide Guard, Spore, Rage Powder, etc. Waterfall prevents you from being Taunt bait, and provides you with a Water STAB move. Thunder Wave provides a permanent -1 Speed drop to anything you'd like to hit it on, and finally Protect. The EV Spread is basic SmogDex influence.

Intoxication (Amoonguss) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

There is never a better, more flexible choice for non-TR and TR teams than this guy, simply because you can use it to your advantage, whether you're in or out of Trick Room. Also, it gives me a slight Rain check. If we are going to treat the DOU Ladder as a serious laddering tier, Rain is now competitively more unpopular than before. Sun dominates the entire weather system of the metagame, but that doesn't mean this guy cannot perform well at all. It still provides the team with important roles, such as giving your teammates free turns to do something, whether it be setting up a DD with Tyranitar or laying up Substitute with Victini.

Rage Powder is the focal point of the set, giving you free turns like mentioned earlier. Spore is more effectively used in the tier without Sleep Clause, so you are able to spam sleep to nearly everything without hindrance. Giga Drain does prevent you from being Taunt bait once again and does a good amount to water types. Finally, Protect. The EV Spread once again is SmogDex influence, though the 1 Spe IV does make you slow under TR and fast out of it at the same time.

Thunderbird (Zapdos) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 28 SpA / 32 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Zapdos rounds up the team with another Lando check, sun check and another form of speed inducing Pokemon. It's such a great Pokemon that you could hardly not be able to use it effectively. Though Zapdos is still quite an underused Pokemon in DOU, it still has some neat niches overall as a Pokemon. I do believe Roost Zapdos is my only viable option, and you should try it out too. It does give you the shot of using Safety Goggles over another recovery item thanks to Roost. The main move of this set is Tailwind, which is yet another important speed control tool aside from Thunder Wave, giving you slight amounts of turns to continue destroying your opponents. Thunderbolt as Electric STAB, duh. Finally, Hidden Powe [Ice] because you need a way to target out Landorus-T super effectively.

THREATLIST

~ Probably quite a big threat to the team. Not a lot can really tank its hits well, especially if it's some unexpected set like Choice Specs or something with Earth Power.
~ Provided you don't really play well against it, Landorus can force a lot of difficult turns for you. Make sure to preserve your checks to beat this guy.
~ This guy does quite well against this team. Make sure to avoid it from getting any unnecessary free turns to not be threatened by Mega Mom.

IMPORTABLE AND CLOSING THOUGHTS

Thanks for reading my forum. Also, if you want to steal and use this for yourself, why not click the button right here? Finally, peace out. Till next time! © Majore :]

Roars of the Sky (Tyranitar) (M) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Darude Rusher (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Chariot of Fire (Victini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Blue Flare
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Flying Tempura (Gyarados) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Intoxication (Amoonguss) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Thunderbird (Zapdos) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 28 SpA / 32 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
You went through ttar, zap, and mega hera? This deserves a Stratos medal of approval.

Anyway, a more efficient exca spread is 32 HP / 252+ Atk / 80 Def / 112 SpD / 32 Spe due to exca's high hp and low defenses. It would be a tiny bit bulkier with 48 hp, but 32 gets life orb number.

You might wanna consider 56 attack on gyara to guarantee a waterfall 2hko on lando after intimidate, the smogdex spread doesn't actually hit a benchmark, it's just max bulk.

Also, why 1 speed iv on amoong? All that does is let mega aboma and others outslow you under tr, and there's no point in creeping an amoong mirror.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Focus Blast > Thunderbolt on Victini and Rocky Helmet on Amoonguss should go a long way toward solving your Kangaskhan and Hydreigon problems. It's not like you really need Thunderbolt, since you have both Zapdos and Amoonguss (and Focus Blast does more to Rotom-W anyway).

I got really worried when I saw regular TTar and Mega Heracross in the teambuilding section, but then you changed them and I was like "oh thank god."

cool team :)

You went through ttar, zap, and mega hera? This deserves a Stratos medal of approval.

Anyway, a more efficient exca spread is 32 HP / 252+ Atk / 80 Def / 112 SpD / 32 Spe due to exca's high hp and low defenses. It would be a tiny bit bulkier with 48 hp, but 32 gets life orb number.

You might wanna consider 56 attack on gyara to guarantee a waterfall 2hko on lando after intimidate, the smogdex spread doesn't actually hit a benchmark, it's just max bulk.

Also, why 1 speed iv on amoong? All that does is let mega aboma and others outslow you under tr, and there's no point in creeping an amoong mirror.
Focus Blast > Thunderbolt on Victini and Rocky Helmet on Amoonguss should go a long way toward solving your Kangaskhan and Hydreigon problems. It's not like you really need Thunderbolt, since you have both Zapdos and Amoonguss (and Focus Blast does more to Rotom-W anyway).

I got really worried when I saw regular TTar and Mega Heracross in the teambuilding section, but then you changed them and I was like "oh thank god."

cool team :)
Alright I'll try those out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)