ORAS Doubles OU Char-Y Semiroom

Char-Y Semiroom

Intro:

So, it's been a while since I've been in the competitive scene; there are a lot of new faces I've seen lately, but there are thankfully still a few that remember me. Although, after being bored for the longest time and wanting to get a final taste of gen 6 before sun & moon comes out, I decided to jump back in and mess around. I've noticed when I look back on the player I used to be, I've definitely matured in both team building and play style, and knowing that I'm making progress really relieves me.

That messing around eventually turned into actually beating a few really good players and laddering quite quickly. At first, I was surprised that the team was so successful, but I eventually figured out what was so good about it... and then made it even better.

The team at a glance:

I know what you're most likely thinking. Two trick roomers in a semiroom team? Are you sure it isn't full trick room? Don't worry, there are really good reasons for this that I'll explain later in the RMT.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 80 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

CharY is a staple in most of my teams, and is no doubt my favorite mega. It's extremely offensive and and it can serve as a defensive presence at times as well, living lando-t rockslides and providing protection against water with sun. Heat Wave, Solar Beam, and Protect are all self explanitory, but Tailwind is there to provide a very offensive presence with a CharY and Heatran lead. He also runs a bulky ev spread to live lando-t rockslides in order to set up twind. I also gave him a few extra EVs in speed because extra speed is sometimes handy.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Heatran just teams up with CharY so well, and it fits with the teams defensive trend as well. Is serves as the perfect offensive partner for CharY, a sun check, and a decent mon under trick room. It has a standard offensive tran set , but some people question why run fast tran when you run trick room. This is because it always throws off other trans, because when they see two trick roomers on my team, they assume that my tran is slower. This gives me a free KO with earth power if they don't run shuca berry or if they switched into, survived, and get out sped the next turn.

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Detect

I chose him because I needed a fighting type, CM Cress check other than Ferrothorn (which isn't really a cress check in the first place), and a strong priority move. He serves as a bulky trick room sweeper as well as a low-hp mon cleaner with priority while not under trick room. He also runs a pretty standard set, choosing knock off over ice punch for said reasons and guts over iron fist because I couldn't find any important KOs it misses without the damage boost.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play

I chose Porygon 2 because it's a ridiculously bulky trick roomer that doesn't have common weaknesses. He's there mainly for his ability to use trick room successfully, but he's also there because it can stall successfully at times. Its has a mostly set, giving it the best bulk possible, and it can also OHKO non-av lando-ts, which is always useful. I also decided to switch out foul play with thunder bolt, since it has much more damage potential and coverage options.

Jellicent (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Jellicent is here to provide nice resistances that the team is weak to and to be another bulky trick roomer. It plays as the KO finisher, switch in, and burner, while also usually lasting a while with its bulk and recover. It again has a standard set, while I run cursed body over water absorb because sun already reduces water damage and cursed body provides much more utility. I also run recover over protect to increase its longevity in certain situations, and I run scald over hydro pump because it's more reliable and comes with possible burns.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

I chose Ferrothorn because it helps against a LOT of threats and it checks a great portion of the meta, only strengthening my defense against the meta. It serves for the go-to for a lot of situations, and it also gives an option to go from hyper-offensive to defensive when I need to. It can also do quite a bit of damage against common threats, such as mega gard and kang, sometimes by simply switching in. The weakness that it has also doesn't affect his usefulness to the team as much, since I have plenty of fire checks. His set is pretty self-explanatory.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Detect

Heatran @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Jellicent (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Description:

This team is very versatile, having the ability to go hyper-offensive to fairly defensive easily at times. It also has a very good grasp on the meta. It rewards predictions a lot, and with the wide range of good switch ins in the team, there’s almost always something good to fall back on. You've probably noticed all the sets in the team are pretty standard (aside from twind CharY). Even though the sets are pretty standard, it's the surprising choices for the team itself that throw people off, yet still provide a crazy amount of synergy. It definitely fits my play style, for I tend to make huge predictions (which is honestly sometimes my downfall).

_

It’s definitely my standard lead. First off, there is almost nothing that double heatwave can KO under sun. Those that I can't kill with double heatwave can usually be KOed with coverage moves, such as water types and opposing heatrans. In fact, the only things I can think of at the top of my mind that can't be KOed immediately are things like cresselia and hydreigon. Also, switch ins are insanely predictable, rewarding risky counter-switch in plays such as using earth power against an opposing heatran switch in. Lastly, it is also usually really easy to counter certain other leads with other pokemon I have in the team, such as switching in ferro against a predicted kang fake out or any other offensive move.

_
or

This one is used against teams with volcanion (jellicent) or hydreigon (porygon 2). With conk being an absolute monster under trick room, there aren’t many good reasons to lead him without a trick roomer. This also gives an early advantage with trick room out, since it usually comes out later in the game.

:: Volcanion: Its coverage and bulk really mess with this team. Not only can it 2hko most of the team, but its defensive typing makes it really hard to KO. Sets with substitute give the team even more trouble.

:: Rain Teams: If they catch me off-guard without ferro or CharY or if they use volcanion (which they probably do), I will struggle against these teams.

:: Hydreigon: With its resistance to fire, tendency to be speedy, and wide range of coverage, this thing is capable of doing at least neutral damage against my whole team. Although, it’s not really a problem if I have conk out to mach punch it if. If any form of speed control is out either, hydreigon isn’t as much of a threat.

Special Thanks:

Connecting to what I've said in the intro, I've grown a lot since I've started competitive. All of this is thanks to the Smogon community in general. I wish I could name a few people, but I'm terrible at remembering names of the people who told me things ;-;. Anyways, thanks everyone for all of your help, I definitely appreciate it, and I want you guys to know that I couldn't have made it this far with out you all!

Hi, I'm pretty sure that I played you before, and it's a neat team right there!

Some things that I would recommend is using Scrafty over Conkeldurr. I'm quite amazed that Conkeldurr bring out a stronger damage output through Knock Off, but I feel that Intimidate and especially a way to support your Tailwind and Trick Room would be more valuable to your team. If Scrafty's Fake Out fails, you can always use Quick Guard to stop Prankster Taunts, too. Also, Aegislash would support your Sun team more than Jellicent would. Jellicent's weak Scald won't do much and its usage of Sitrus Berry basically makes it an easy Mon to counter; usually, Safety Goggles or Mental Herb would be better if you have no support for your Trick Room (and that's why I mentioned Scrafty earlier). Besides that, Aegislash would provide a nice Wide Guard support, which your Mega Charizard-Y, Heatran, and Scrafty (if you choose to use it) would really appreciate. This particular set, which Talkingtree had given me, is quite useful under tailwind, outspeeding offensive Thundurus and Mega Diancie. This in return gives you room to use "Eruptran" and not worry too much about Cresselia, but if you want to use Flash Cannon I guess it's fine.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 216 HP / 208 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Eruption

To be honest, I don't think it hurts to use Ferrothorn, another Steel type, in this team as it certainly does checks a lot of threats, but I don't think that using Amoonguss would hurt either. It can be an alternative support and check anything slower than Mega Charizard-Y under Trick Room. I also find Scrafty + Amoonguss to be a nice core, basically using Spore + Quick Guard to eliminate threats such as Talonflame and Thundurus.

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Hey man, only one suggestion. You're a bit lacking in sleep immunities cause of non-goggles jelly. Since you're already using guts conk over iron fist, you might as well be flame orb>life orb.

Cheers!

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey dude, p cool team I have seen this team in action in room tournaments and tbh it does mesh up well, though there are a few stuff which could be optimised. However I personally never liked tail-room teams, as though they are versatile but they kind of require two different kind of teams joined together each with slightly different motives.

First of all, as far as I can see tailwind on char-y works mostly as a surprise factor like predicting diancie's protect to outspeed it later etc. but considering you have 2 ways to hit heatran under sun and conk doesn't want to take a sun boosted heatwave anyways, I'd rather use hp ground so that I don't have to switch out my charizard every time heatran comes in.

Also eruptran with goggles, as the team is fairly weak to amoongus(which no TR team should be). It uses quiet nature which should be beneficent for TR anyways. One more thing is both of your Trick Room users are fairly passive which is not ideal as it mostly requires hard switch-ins so I'd recommend switching either of p2 or jellicient(preferably jellicient) to sash hoopa. Sash Hoopa imo is a pretty effective setter for TR teams with it's ability to absorb one strong hit from an unsuspecting opponent and still being not at all taunt bait and still giving you a way to hit wide guard aegislash.

Though anyways how is volcanion an issue for you, you have trace p2 lol(please have thunderbolt on it) , I actually like ferro on this team like a lot as it checks some massive things for your team like latios and most importantly rain teams. Rocky helmet on ferro is annoying af no doubt about that, but on a team like this where it almost stops a whole archetype itself like rain without volcanion, you should really have lum berry on it, as random scald burn on ferrothorn just means you have almost lost the match itself.

Now since this is no longer a tail-room it would be pretty nice to have fake out support, I agree with Test Bot # ,scrafty is optimal here but you do lose precious wide guard support which is kind of important for slower teams since rock slide has a 100% chance to flinch or you could even go with something gimmicky like hariyama.(idk I'm pretty tired so the trade off is completely on you, but if you feel that volcanion weak you can always run head smash on scrafty :] )

Hoopa-Unbound @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 44 Def / 208 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

(44 def evs help it survive -1 adamant kanga return which could be important if you use scrafty)

Sorry I never responded. I just never got around to getting to it's best potential. It was probably just relying on surprise factor and it just was a bad team lol >_>

Also, I kind of lost interest in battling in general, since Sun & Moon is right around the corner. Heck, I've even read up on all the leaked stats, abilities, and move sets to make a half-arsed 3-tiered list of the new pokemon (the starters, passimian, and salazzle being surprisingly high). I wonder how the meta will be and what teams I'll build in Sun & Moon, but that's a discussion for a different thread (I'll stop myself before I get into %100 analysis mode). Speaking of which, do you guys know a thread of this subject?

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Sorry I never responded. I just never got around to getting to it's best potential. It was probably just relying on surprise factor and it just was a bad team lol >_>

Also, I kind of lost interest in battling in general, since Sun & Moon is right around the corner. Heck, I've even read up on all the leaked stats, abilities, and move sets to make a half-arsed 3-tiered list of the new pokemon (the starters, passimian, and salazzle being surprisingly high). I wonder how the meta will be and what teams I'll build in Sun & Moon, but that's a discussion for a different thread (I'll stop myself before I get into %100 analysis mode). Speaking of which, do you guys know a thread of this subject?
There is a whole set of threads dedicated to S&M competitive discussion in Orange Island forum, you should find it there.

Thanks! That should definitely (and also ironically) take my mind from the game release, hopefully making the wait feel shorter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)