Chansey [QC 0/3]

Overview
########

-Access to Eviolite, which boosts its Defense and Special Defense by 50%.
-250 Base HP and 105 Base Special Defense combined with Eviolite many Special Attackers fail to break Chansey
-Amazing Wish Support, which can restore 352 HP to a Pokemon.
-Access to support moves such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Heal Bell.
-Natural Cure allows it to remove status when it switches out.
-Without Defense Investment, Chansey can not take a Physical attack.
-Having to hold Eviolite prevents Chansey to have Leftovers
-Relies on Seismic Toss and Toxic to do damage as its Special Attack is not high enough.
-Chansey is set up fodder to Pokemon that are immune to Toxic and/or Thunder Wave and can recover health.

Support
##########
Move 1: Wish/Soft-boiled
Move 2: Soft-boiled/Protect/Heal Bell
Move 3: Toxic/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell
Move 4: Seismic Toss/Toxic
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Eviolite
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def

Moves
########
-Heal Bell allows you to clear status effects with other Pokemon.
-Soft-boiled brings reliable recovery to Chansey while Wish allows Chansey and other teammates to recover.
-Toxic allows you to cripple Pokemon that attempts to set up on Chansey while Thunder Wave cripples faster threats.
-Seismic Toss for damage and prevents you from being completely shut down by Taunt.

Set Details
########
-Eviolite gives Chansey the bulk it needs to survive Physical and Special Moves.
-Bold nature with Max Defense and Hitpoints to survive Physical attacks while the remaining 4 EVs go into Special Defense.

Usage Tips
########
-Chansey can reliably switch in against many Special Attackers and weaker Physical Attackers.
-Because Special Attackers can not beat Chansey without set up, most Special Attackers have to switch into a Physical Attacker. You can predict this and cripple them with status.
-If it is a Pokemon with setup moves like Calm Mind or Quiver Dance, use Toxic or Thunder Wave to cripple them.
-Since Heal Bell has 8 Power Points, you must use effectively or you may run out of Power points before the match is over.
-Once all Special Attackers and weak Physical attackers as well as Pokemon with status moves are gone, Chansey becomes dead weight. You can sacrifice Chansey at the appropriate time.

Team Options
########
-Many Physical walls that is not weak to Fighting is a great partner to Chansey such as Skarmory, Slowbro, Hippodown, and Gliscor.
-Any Pokemon that can beat a Ghost type such as Tyranitar, Mandibuzz, and other Dark-type Pokemon works well with Chansey.
-Any Pokemon with Will-o-Wisp such as Rotom-W and Sableye can help Chansey wall off Physical attacks better.
-Ghost-type Pokemon in general helps check the Fighting-Type Pokemon.

Other Options
#########
-Chansey can run a Counter set with Soft-boiled, Counter, Seismic Toss, and status move catches Physical attackers off-guard and KO.
-Chansey does not have the stats to run to be a Special Attacker as its Special Attack is low plus its reliance on Eviolite. However, it can run Flamethrower or Ice Beam to suprise one of its counters.

Checks and Counters
##############
-Any Physical Fighting type Pokemon such as Lucario, Conkeldurr, and Terrokion can scare off Chansey quite easily. All Fighting types that does not have Guts need to be worried about Toxic and Thunder Wave.
-Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn, and other Steel-Type with Entry Hazard can safely set up on Chansey. Ferrothorn can go farther with Leech Seed, giving Ferrothorn 25% recovery per turn.
-Magic Guard Clefable and Reuniclus with Calm Mind can set up on Chansey and eventually KO it.
-Gliscor with Taunt completely shuts down Chansey as it can easily recover lost HP with Poison Heal.
-Pokemon such as Gengar and Defensive Heatran can stop Chansey, but Chansey will still be able to support its team.
-Any Pokemon with Taunt, especially Ghost-types, can shut down Chansey.
-Any strong Choice Band user such as Victini and Kyurem-B can do a lot of damage to Chansey.
-Any strong physical setup users will force Chansey out.
-Scizor and Genesect can switch in safely, besides the rare Flamethrower and the fear of being paralyzed.
-Any Physical attacker that can do 50% or more to Chansey checks her fairly well.
-Pokemon with Knock Off can let weaker Physical attackers muscle past Chansey easier.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I know this isn't finished, but just from looking at the overview, I'd recommend removing "Defense is basically non-existent." One of the main perks of Chansey is that, with Eviolite and fully invested, Chansey gains the equivalent bulk of fully invested 100/100 defenses. Just to demonstrate:

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 216-255 (30.6 - 36.2%)
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%)

So yeah, I definitely wouldn't say "Defense is basically non-existent." While Chansey's defense may be weaker than its special defense, it's still quite bulky.

Is Thunder Wave worth a Slash over toxic? Chansey is a quite good paralysis spreader, and can be used if you're not aiming to Toxic Stall everything and just pas Wishes.

I was going to put Thunder Wave on, but I ran out of time yesterday. I will remove the "The Defense is basically non-existent" Its low Defense needs a special mention though as its Base 5 Defense afterall, even with the Eviolite.

Well, I hope this is good enough for Quality check >.<

Edit: This is my first Analysis. Sorry if I made some mistakes. :(

Last edited:
I'm not QC so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm not sure why you have two sets with the same EV spread etc. with moves slashed differently. The viability of each move doesn't change at all. IMO it should look like this as one set:

##########
Move 1: Wish
Move 2: Soft-boiled / Protect
Move 3: Toxic / Heal Bell / Thunder Wave
Move 4: Seismic Toss / Toxic
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Eviolite
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252HP / 252 Def /4 SpD

Toxic is often the only way for Chansey to beat the stuff she walls. If you want to risk being unable to touch poison/steel types, you can run Heal bell & Toxic or Double Status. Without S. Toss, Chansey is taunt bait, but Chansey is easy to set up on by a lot of stuff anyway. I guess Wish isn't mandatory? I'm not sure. That's my two cents though.

I was originally going to put it in one set, but for some reason, I decided against it. I was debating for a while whenever to split it. But I decided I should anyways since QC will probably tell me to do it anyways.

Not necessarily, but regardless, there should be two sets for clarity and for the differing support they provide.

2 things:

1. Since pokemon rounds things down aren't the 4 evs in sp.def pointless?
2. If running Wish, Softboiled, and Heal Bell should I run Toxic or Seismic Toss? (If Toxic I think you should put that in set details.)

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i talked to qc a while ago but forgot to post, sets should be this:

Cleric
########
name: Cleric
move 1: Heal Bell
move 2: Soft-Boiled
move 3: Toxic / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
move 4: Seismic Toss
ability: Natural Cure
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Support
########
name: Support
move 1: Soft-Boiled
move 2: Wish / Stealth Rock
move 3: Toxic / Stealth Rock
move 4: Seismic Toss
ability: Natural Cure
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Reactions: trc
All right, so the new strategy dex is going up very soon and there are several Pokemon, including this one, that do not currently have completed analyses. PichuFTW, if you could please try to make this look presentable within the next day, that would be helpful. Please contact user darkie once you've made it look presentable (by that I mean "acceptable to be on-site") and refer to and update this pirate pad: https://www.piratepad.ca/p/dex_skeletons

This needs to be done by tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), so make sure you get it done! If you can't make it look presentable in the next day, please say so in the pirate pad so someone else can make a quick skeleton of it. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)