Catagorise items

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
When you go to Smogon's Item page you are confronted by a massive list of every item, normally for the more advanced player this is not a problem as they will be looking for detailed and accurate info about a particular item. However if you are a relatively new player who wishes to make a moveset and wants to browse through the items looking for those that may be useful, they must wade through the volumes of items with absolutely no effect on link or shoddy battles (bar being another fling candidate).

I propose that in the interests of organisation, separating competitive parts of the game, and stopping Smogon from falling behind (many other sites employ more advanced categorisation for items, even if their information is less reliable and detailed), we categorise items.

The full list should stay and be what you arrive at when you click "items", but additionally links to several other lists (For example, Hold Items - all items that have some in battle effect when held, Common competitive items, Berries, In game only healing items, TMs/HMs, ect..) could be placed at the top of the list of all items. Each list would serve a purpose and could have a paragraph or two at the top explaining about their relationship with competitive play, Berries for example may talk about the EV reducers making EV training much easier, and making different styles of it possible as well as things like an overveiw of the Pinch Berries, or even a short note on how to grow berries effecintly.

Other than actually HTMLiseing the lists (I don't know how easy this is), I don't think this project would be too hard or take too long. All we would need to do is decide which lists are useful, find the items to go on them and write up a few heading paragraphs.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think this is a great idea. A tab system similar to how the Pokemon pages are set up with the different generations would be ideal. The item list for DPP is huge, so having a method of organizing them would be great.

| Competitive | Berries | Mail | TMs / HMs | Pokéballs | Key Items | In-game | All |

seems like it would be a decent set-up.

Competitive would house all hold-items except stuff like Amulet Coin, Soothe Bell, etc. which would be in In-game.

In-game would contain potions, elixirs, revives, repels, as well as in-game use hold items, fossils, etc.

I think the other tabs are pretty self-explanatory.

I think this is a great idea. A tab system similar to how the Pokemon pages are set up with the different generations would be ideal. The item list for DPP is huge, so having a method of organizing them would be great.

| Competitive | Berries | Mail | TMs / HMs | Pokéballs | Key Items | In-game | All |

seems like it would be a decent set-up.

Competitive would house all hold-items except stuff like Amulet Coin, Soothe Bell, etc. which would be in In-game.

In-game would contain potions, elixirs, revives, repels, as well as in-game use hold items, fossils, etc.

I think the other tabs are pretty self-explanatory.
I have to agree with this. Organizing all those items into categories would be great and less time consuming. I hope that this goes for all generation sections. Then again, 2nd gen doesn't have any items on the item page, so this may happen just for the 4th gen items.

~ Aether Nexus

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tabs sound like a good idea, some items may fit into multiple tabs (say Macho Brace or the Power Items that have both an in game effect and an important in game effect, or the competitive berries), maybe separating the items that are useful to prepare for a competitive match rather than sticking to largely in game categories would be a good idea? EV Berrys, Everstone, Vitamins, EXP share/Lucky Egg, ect.. not sure what the title would be.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Crosstabs for items sound quite excellent.

Not all hold-items are competitive. Sticky Barb and Destiny Knot? Zuh?

The Plates are also redundant with the previous type-boosting items, but do effect Arceus.

eric the espeon

By "Competitive" I think Stellar means an item that has some competitive effect, rather than none that a vast majority of items have. There could be a separation between items that have some in battle effect when held, and those that are actually competitive (Ranging from the top items like Leftovers down to those with specific, but real, uses like Shed Shell, Light Ball, Silk Scarf or maybe even Ganlon Berry (Natural Gift Ice [80])).

I agree with Stellar's idea. It would really make the items page look neater and more organized.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
If this idea were to go into all of the pages, however, I would hope the in-game effects of certain RSE items (see Macho Brace and EXP Share) would be revamped and elaborated on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)