Can you be the person who does it?

1. If its my child, I could not do it. If its not mine, ill con one of the four other adults into doing it. I have a child, I know the score, its a tough one.

2. 1912: Ill go down with the boat. 2008: Fuck Em. I am not Kurt Russell, and this is not the Poseidon Adventure.

3. Ill shoot the dog. I dont care.

4. I could move his ass out of the way.

Let me ask this. If you could cure all the world's diseases at the cost of one innocent child would you do it? How about 100? How About 1000? How far are you willing to go?

lol?

these questions arent even remotely answerable, there is no way to know what your state of mind would be were you in the aforementioned scenarios

if they arent answerable than how did everyone else answe them?
just put yourself in that position and think of what you would do on impulse.

#1: I would want the baby dead and I would ask if any of the others wanted to kill it. If not, I would do it myself.

#2: Why would I want to die? I choose to get on the boat myself.

#3: I would let someone else do it, but if no one wanted to, I would do it myself.

#4 by kingdrom: I go and try to save him.

mist, you wouldnt exactly die from not getting on the life boat. you could find other means of survival, which you would have a better chance at finding than a woman and her child.

To be honest, in all of these situations I would be scared out of my mind and not have the gut to solve any of these problems. Good thing they'll never happen eh?

CZ, your question doesn't really make much sense. Are you saying we would have to go on a child slaying to cure every disease in the world or are you saying that we give children this "cure every disease" vaccination at the risk of killing them?

I find it hard to beleive some of you. You pretend like you have that "survival of the fittest so fuck you" attitude and some of these situations have huge loopholes. But I guess some people can have different values depending on their beleifs, like the beleif in afterlife, religion in general, and whether you value your life as more important than the person you're willing to sacrifice.

The baby can be hushed without murdering it, and this has been done dozens of times during the actual time period.

Saving your friend depends on your current state of mind and personally, I'd go for it.

Killing the dog doesn't seem too bad since you'd put it out of it's misery.

The Titanic situation is the main reason I'm posting. I find it hard to beleive that some of you wouldn't give a shit about the mother and child over yourself. But that comes to the first point I made. I beleive in afterlife and I'm sure I'd be doomed for screwing over the mother but I guess everyone has their own views on things. I know the world's fucked up but hell I'd never kill 2 innocent people because of my own greed.

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
#1: Kill him

#2: Push them aside and get on the boat.

#3: Kill it with no haste.

#4: Abandon him in the street.

#1: you are in the time of the holocaust. you are in a basement hiding from nazi's with 4 more adults. you have a small child whom is your own, around 3 months of age. the child is crying and the nazi's will find you if it doesnt stop. the only way to stop the child from crying is to smother it and kill it. could you be the person to do this?
no, since if i did it we'd probably be found anyways, basements aren't hard to miss.
#2: you are on the sinking titanic. the situation is chaotic. there is one lifeboat left. you have the decision to get on the lifeboat or let a mother and a child get on the lifeboat. what would you do?
i'd tell the mother i'm sorry(not) and take the boat
#3: your dog has just been hit by a car. it is suffering horribly. could you be the person to shoot it to end its pain, or would you let someone else do it?
no, since it's my dog and if anything i'd try to save him
#4 by kingdrom: You walking along the sidewalk in a large city. Your best friend is walking with you until he has an unexpected seizure and darts onto a busy street. He is unresposive to whatever you say, and two hundred feet away there is a semi speeding towards him, blissfully unaware that a person is in front of him. If you hesitate, then he will be killed by the speeding truck. Do you go out and save him, risking your own life?
depends on the friend, if he's a really good friend, i'd save him, if he's not, i'd go to his house and quickly change his will so that i'm included.
if you can think of any other hard decisions please post them so other

Oh new ones!

Well, I've never been big on pets as like a family member or anything, so if it's in pain, I'd put it out. I mean, if someone just shot me in 6 places in my body and I have a chance to live but end up semi paralyze or some shit, I'd wish one of those shots would have hit me in the heart or some shit.

As for the friend thing, I'd probably be oblivious to him actually have a seizure, thinking he's just fucking around and is jay walking or doing something idiotic...so I'm going to be one sad person at the end of that event when I find out he had a seizure..........

#3 I'd probably cry a bit over it but I'd kill the dog

#4 If I don't then I live with the guilt of just letting him die because I didn't have the guts to risk it all and try something. I'm moving that boi's ass off the road.

i saw this thread on another site and i thought it would be really good to discuss.
this thread isnt to express how much you dont care about people and how much of an extremist you are.

these are random situations.

#3: your dog has just been hit by a car. it is suffering horribly. could you be the person to shoot it to end its pain, or would you let someone else do it?

I just hope I am never in that situation. I love my dog to death, and she is the most docile dog I have ever seen. She has never bitten another person or dog/ she rarely growls at strangers... I would not be able to kill her, or watch her suffer.

#4 by kingdrom: You walking along the sidewalk in a large city. Your best friend is walking with you until he has an unexpected seizure and darts onto a busy street. He is unresposive to whatever you say, and two hundred feet away there is a semi speeding towards him, blissfully unaware that a person is in front of him. If you hesitate, then he will be killed by the speeding truck. Do you go out and save him, risking your own life?

Yes, since I will make sure that I am not hit be the speeding semi. I would be careful as hell and still take the chance to rescue my friend.

I already answered 1-2

if they arent answerable than how did everyone else answe them?
just put yourself in that position and think of what you would do on impulse.
i meant answerable correctly

you can't actually think it's as simple as just pretending you were in the situation

it is.
if you cant put yourself in that situation that please act it out. maybe go on sinking boat and see what you would do there. maybe run over your dog. any of those work.
im sure if you just imagine this happening you would be able to come up with a logical answer; not all of our answers are perfectly correct, but what we said is most likely what we would have done.

it is.
if you cant put yourself in that situation that please act it out. maybe go on sinking boat and see what you would do there. maybe run over your dog. any of those work.
im sure if you just imagine this happening you would be able to come up with a logical answer; not all of our answers are perfectly correct, but what we said is most likely what we would have done.
thats absolute bullshit

you think if i think hard enough about whether i could suffocate my own child i'd be able to get the right answer from it? dont be ridiculous. the bulk of us here dont even have children, let alone have any idea how frightening the thought of its mortality must be.

if its that fucking simple, then why do people ever have children? the feeling would be the same if you were to just think about having one, right? imaginary babies are way less costly than real ones, too

You really don't have to make such a big deal out of this, this is strictly just hypothetical. If you can't answer it, then just don't.

.. I still haven't answered b/c I'm still thinking. #1 and #4 are really deep questions.

You really don't have to make such a big deal out of this, this is strictly just hypothetical. If you can't answer it, then just don't.

.. I still haven't answered b/c I'm still thinking. #1 and #4 are really deep questions.
but thats the thing, you cant answer them either lol

you can 'answer' them, and so can i. id kill my baby, id let them get on the boat, id shoot the dog, and id try to save my friend.

but that doesnt fucking mean anything. sure i can say im a good friend, a kind person, and a hardcore baby killer but when faced with it theres no way im going to be in the same state of mind. i have no idea whatsoever how the intensity of the situations would affect my brain and my emotions, and none of you do either. answers here have no essentially no merit whatsoever.

its like asking someone 'if you were drunk would you do x or y'

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd totally do x.

but seriously though i'd probably chicken out in all of those instances.
I couldn't kill a kid, i'm not quick enough to save the friend.

On the titanic, i'd try ans pawn it on someone else. Then i'd do it.

For the dog? I'd kill it. It'd want to die--not be paralyzed like MoP said. Easily said.

but thats the thing, you cant answer them either lol

you can 'answer' them, and so can i. id kill my baby, id let them get on the boat, id shoot the dog, and id try to save my friend.

but that doesnt fucking mean anything. sure i can say im a good friend, a kind person, and a hardcore baby killer but when faced with it theres no way im going to be in the same state of mind. i have no idea whatsoever how the intensity of the situations would affect my brain and my emotions, and none of you do either. answers here have no essentially no merit whatsoever.

Eh, you do have a point there.

I mean, it's just a discussion topic on a forum. Hopefully, we won't ever have to get in these situations, but it is something to think about it.

Yeah, I agree with you. I guess it's just thought-provoking.

i meant answerable correctly
How can there ever be a correct answer to these hypothetical questions? It is true that we won't be able to make a definite choice prior to these events happening, but we can generally take a guess based upon our own characteristics.

As for me:
1: I'm not a parent so I wouldn't know, but when I asked some older adults this question, they all replied with a stern, "no." They said they'd rather die themselves than to kill their own child. Although I personally hate children, I suppose I wouldn't be able to smother my own.
2: Based upon my characteristics, I'd probably get on the lifeboat myself. I have a strong urge to live on, so I won't do something that could possibly cause my own death. Besides, if it was chaotic, I wouldn't even have noticed the mother and child anyway (I'd only have the idea of saving myself in my head.).
3: Um, why not try and save the dog and rush for an animal hospital? I don't even own a gun...But if I had to make a choice, I probably won't be able to do it; the thought of killing my own dog wouldn't even appear in my head.
4: I honestly think I'd hesitate for a moment, and then try to save my friend when it's too late. I'm more of a "think first, act later" kind of person, so I probably won't do anything on impulse like that.

I saw situations like these in an article in times, about how morality is what makes us different from an ape/monkey/animal. The first question was exactly like in the article. The second question (with the Titanic) was a bit different. The situation was that there was one lifeboat left, and it was freezing cold. There are a handful of people on your boat, but it's too heavy to support them all. The only way to survive was to push off a sick, frail man who obviously won't make the journey and survive in the cold.

The other situation dealt with a construction site. There is a speeding metal cart on its way towards a group of unsuspecting people. The only way to save them is for you to push/pull a lever near you to alter the track, killing another unsuspecting person (it's just one person) instead. Another scenario is the same as the first one, but you are standing on a bridge above and near the group of people. The only way to save them would be to push off the unsuspecting person next to you off the bridge so that he collides with the cart instead. And finally, what would you do in the same situation as above (the second) if, instead of pushing the person off the bridge, you had a lever that acted as a trapdoor and would drop the person towards the path of the cart?

Whew, that took awhile.

glen, just to sum it up in a nutshell, this thread is hypothetical. nobodys answers are exact, but im sure its possibly what they would do.

oh and the dog thing. the dog isnt going to survive. the point is could you kill a loved animal or would you just block it out and let someone else do it.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus

#3 - If i can't take it to the Hospital, i would shoot my dog.

#4 - If it was like my best friend, i would do it, if it's my Work Boss or someone i just met, then no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)