Bulky Sand is King

Unlike my last team (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/generic-team-is-generic-2-1-now-with-many-wifi-videos.3496156/) this one is still in the planning stages (only Heatran and Ferrothorn exist, but Heatran's stuck in White atm). I wanted to make a 6th gen team from the start but certain pokes (Heatran and Iron Head Excadrill) were locked away until Pokebank arrives. Even tho its delayed, its still around the corner and its time for me to prepare for it.

Hippowden @ Smooth Rock
Sand Stream | Impish
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Stealth Rocks
Whirlwind
Slack Off
Earthquake

The premier defensive tank for the team. Even with a Defoger like Scizor on the team, Stealth Rocks is easy to set up back again. Whirlwind is used so I have a means to stop pokes from setting up, or pokes she can't touch (Ground resisters or Flying types/Levitate users). Slack Off for recovery and Earthquake so she isn't taunt bait, its also nice cause it hits some Poke's she walls for SE damage, like Physical Lucario and Terrakion. I have a fighting weakness on my team and Hippowden is my only real answer to them. She doesn't like Water/Ice/Grass attacks from the likes of Gyarados, Mamoswine, and Breloom. The Ferrothorn and Heatran combo take care of many of these threats.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire | Calm
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Roar
Toxic
Earth Power
Lava Plume

Special Defensive Heatran checks many threats of old and eats some of the new Fairys for breakfast. Roar is for phazing special threats that are trying to set up, like Calm Mind Jirachi or Volcarona. Toxic against bulky pokes or for residual damage. Earth Power is for Fire pokes that he will often be switching into for the Flash Fire boost, also stops any Sun Teams that lack a ground move. Finally Lava Plume for STAB and potentially burn to help take physical attacks better. Ferrothorn appreciates his Fire Immunity while Hippowden and Rotom-W loves his 4x resistance to Grass, as well as Landrous-T and Hippodwen with his 4x resistance to Ice attacks. Heatran is an amazing partner to Tyranitar for having a 4x resistance to nearly all of Tyranitar's weaknesses (Grass, Bug, Steel, and Fairy) but Ground and Water. Ferrothorn covers Heatrans Water weakness, and Air Ballon Excadrill can switch in on any ground attacks aimed at Heatran. Lastly Heatran is a great Talonflame counter, as its literally everywhere.

Landrous-T @ Leftovers
Intimidate | Naive
248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
U-Turn
Hidden Power Ice
Stone Edge
Earthquake

My defensive pivot, that somewhat covers my fighting weaknesss (wish he actually had a Flying move other than Fly). Switch in to get the Intimidate drop, then proceed to wall pokes that Hippowden can't do anything to, like Dragonite and Breloom. Speed EV's allow me to outspeed things like Adamant Dragonite and Jolly Breloom. U-Turn works well with Rotom's Volt Switch to have great momentum. Even with his lower SpA and the HP nerf, HP Ice still 2HKO's things like Breloom, Garchomp, and Gliscor (Stone Edge is better for Dragonite). Finally EdgeQuake combo for good coverage. Landrous-T appericates Rotom-W for countering Mamoswine, otherwise Heatran can take care of any other Ice pokemon, like Weavile.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Levitate | Calm
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Will-O-Wisp
Rest
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump

Special Defensive Rotom is used to deal with threatening common special attacking Water pokes, like Greninja that Rotom-W, and if they are Physical like Gyarados, I'll just burn them with Will-O-Wisp. Rest+Chesto for one chance of recovery with, or a possible Toxic/Burn absorber once the usual threats it walls are taken care of. And finally Volt Switch for momentum. Rotom-W can switch in to Ground pokes aiming to take down Heatran and Fighting weakness with Levitate and Will-O-Wisp. He adores Heatran as a partner to take care of his weakness of grass, which is 4x resist to as well as Excadrill to counter Mold Breaker EQ's.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Sand Stream | Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance
Ice Punch
Crunch
Stone Edge

The Bulky Sand King is here. DD Mega Tyranitar is similar to my Mega Gyarados on my other team, a bulky poke that after his threats have been cleared and 1 DD, wrecks shop. Mega Tyranitar has many threats tho. Ferrothron plus Forrestress wall him cause I lack Fire Blast, tho both are taken care of by Heatran. SE Priority users like Azumarill, Lucario, Scizor, and Conkludurr also can wreck havoc on Mega Tyranitar's sweep and must be dealt with before I even think of bringing him out. Certian Choice Scarf users are a problem as well, Genesect in particular. Ice Punch > EQ to counter Gliscor and Hippowden, who would otherwise wall me, plus various 4x weak pokes.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Sand Rush | Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Rapid Spin
Iron Head
Earthquake

Excadrill is the premier rapid spinner so far this gen. Even tho Sand Rush is not as potent as it was last gen, I think with 2 Sand Storm users makes it usable on this team. Air Balloon is to switch on on predicted Ground attacks aimed at Heatran. Even with Adamant, in the Sand he still out speeds all max speed 130's, and it makes Swords Dance that much deadlier. He can act as a semi-revenge killer, but lacking priority hurts him. Even tho Rock Slide has more coverage, I'm using Iron Head for STAB damage and more reliable accuracy. Rapid Spin is still important because even tho most my team resists SR and 2 can absorb Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web cripples both Mega Tyranitar and Excadrill and no one likes taking damage from Spikes, as rare as it is these days.

Last edited:
just some quick move changes...put rock tomb on hippowdon over whirlwind because talonflame, and heatran has roar.

put Stealth Rocks on Heatran instead of earthpower because it isnt stab and doesnt hit much harder than a lava plume would.

Other than that it looks like a pretty solid sand team...I've been seeing a lot of them lately. ( they keep breaking my sashes :/)

Whirlwind on Hippowden allows me to phaze out physical set-er upers. I would always switch Heatran into Talonflame anyhow, as I don't wanna get Hippowden burned (by Flare Blitz or Will-O-Wisp).

Roar on Heatran allows me to phaze out special set-er upers.

Earth Power is against Fire poke's that Heatran switches into.

Whirlwind on Hippowden allows me to phaze out physical set-er upers. I would always switch Heatran into Talonflame anyhow, as I don't wanna get Hippowden burned (by Flare Blitz or Will-O-Wisp).

Roar on Heatran allows me to phaze out special set-er upers.

Earth Power is against Fire poke's that Heatran switches into.
Sorry I dont know why I didnt see the stealth rocks on Hippo, so the heatran set is fine....I just think that if you have two phazers you might want to add an extra layer of hazards whether it be spikes or toxic spikes. You might want to throw spikes on ferro because he probably would have a few chances to set them up. Maybe instead of protect or t-wave.

It looks like Sub-Toxic Gliscor can have a field day on your team. It seems like your only answer is Gastrodon, which can easily be toxic stalled by Gliscor. I think you should watch out for Trick Scarf users, a well timed trick could cripple basically any of your mons except T-Tar and maybe Excadrill.

You're quite right.

I could potentially run Ice Punch over EQ on my Mega Tyranitar to take care of Gliscor (that way he can keep his bulk and benefit from DD), but I still don't have a reliable switch in.

Sorry one last thing, I am confused on your tyranitar description...you say you dont want to use a special attacking set because it would sacrifice bulk but your current set has no bulk investment at all. I just fear that it might be redundant to have a physical attacking ttar and a physical sweeper in excadrill, I think trying a special set or a mixed set on ttar would just be more beneficial. I cant say for sure but I think any position where ttar could sweep, excadrill could do so but with x2 attack and doouble his speed. So maybe just try it out and see but if anything just explain what you mean by bulk because jolly max attack and max speed isnt bulk.

100 / 150 / 120 + Sandstorm even with no investment is still quite bulky

That's 336 Defense and 414 Special Defense under a Sandstorm with no investment

I hear you and aPandaCub on Tyranitar's coverage and have swapped EQ for Ice Punch

On the concern of only having Special Attackers...

Perhaps I should switch Gastroden to a more offensive role?

Gastroden @ Lum Berry
Storm Drain | Modest
104 HP / 152 Def / 252 SpA
Recover
Ice Beam
Scald
Earth Power

A bulky special attacker, the EV spread avoids 2HKO from Secert Sword Keldo.

Last edited:
I actually forgot that your Gastrodon runs a lum berry. That may negate the problem some what. If the Gliscor isn't behind a sub, you can quite possible get a decent chunk of damage, but OHKO-ing it might be a stretch. So the best you can do is probably force a switch, and then can come right back in for free and use protect to heal. This is only speculating, who knows how an actual battle could turn out.

You lack any real revenge killers outside of Excadrill in the sand. Whether this will be a major problem or not, we can only speculate. I can defintely see any variant of Mega Lucario going to town on your team as well, given some support. Really, the only thing stopping a physical variant is Hippowdon, and Heatran or Gastrodon might be your best answer for a Special attacking variant.

Heatran can't switch in to SpA Mega Lucario cause of Aura Sphere.

Unless I just loss a poke and switch in freely to an unboosted Mega Lucario (Aura Sphere does 66-78% unboosted) I'm toast.

If anything I was hoping it might be banned but who knows. ;p

Last edited:
Hahahaha one can only hope. But yeah, as I mentioned before, definitely beware Trick Scarf users. They aren't in every battle, but you're only answer is T-Tar. One properly timed Trick Scarf can pretty cripple your team pretty drastically.

This part of the RMT is just my own opinion, so treat it as you please. It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that your team is based just on reacting to the opponent, and then trying to get in T-Tar safely and attempt a sweep. I heard once from a friend that in chess, if you're always reacting to the opponent, you will lose. The goal is to be proactive, which is they key to victory. I feel like any mon with great coverage can wreak havoc on your team. Look at Sheer Force LO Nidoking, Earth Power kills Heatran, Ice Beam kills Hippo, Flamethrower destroys Ferro. Theres 3 mons down to one poke. Of course you have answers to this, such as the fact that Nido can't OHKO Gastrodon (I dont think), and that Exca in the sand can outspeed and revenge kill. The problem is though, thats half your team that is weak to one pokemon (and others that are like it), and thus thats a lot of mons that your opponent can come in on and wreak havoc.

Oh yeah, you do lack priority to kill set up sweepers, but I guess roar can handle those. It is a very bulky team, but there are definetely some chinks in its armor that can be exploited. I would watch out for Choice Scarf Terrakion. If he comes in on T-Tar, a Close Combat will absolutely wreck anything, and if you switch Hippo in, Im pretty sure thats a 2HKO. There goes your main physical wall, which basically leads you wide open to a sweep.

Gastrodon is definitely your weak link. Even on Sand, I would recommend a Rotom-W, as it can still check most Rain teams that lack Kabutops or Kingdra (doesn't matter because when you see either of them you should focus on keeping weather up) Rotom-W also gives an EQ immunity, which you definitely need, and gives you a pretty good special attacker.

Hmmm, all good points.

Perhaps I could replace Gastroden all together for Choice Scarf Jirachi, so I have a dedicated Special Attacker and Revenge killer in one.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Serence Grace | Modest
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Water Pulse
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Flash Cannon

Last edited:
That Jirachi however, will leave you with a glaring EQ weakness, which Rotom W negates. You could try a LO Greninja instead if you don't want Rotom, but its longevity wont be long with both Sandstorm and LO. It also doesn't give the EQ immunity of Rotom W. I actually forgot to say, that Excadrill with balloon intact is technically a counter to Gliscor, as Toxic, Sub, Protect, Earthquake Gliscor cannot touch Excadrill on a balloon. I did forget to say though, that Belly Drum Azumarill could probably do work on the majority of your team. If you lose Ferro, count the game lost.

Gastrodon is definitely your weak link. Even on Sand, I would recommend a Rotom-W, as it can still check most Rain teams that lack Kabutops or Kingdra (doesn't matter because when you see either of them you should focus on keeping weather up) Rotom-W also gives an EQ immunity, which you definitely need, and gives you a pretty good special attacker.
You know that could very much work. I already have experience with Rotom-W on my other team with Sandstorm (tho its just lead Tyranitar).

With the addition of Rotom-W, should I drop Excadrill's Air Balloon for Life Orb, or will having a second ground immunity or counter to Moldbreaker EQ still be worth it?

You might want to replace Ferrothorn with Sheer Force Lando then. As bizarre as this may sound, it will probably be for the best. You stated that your Ferrothorns sole purpose was to tank water attacks aimed Hippo and Heatran. But since Rotom already covers this, you can then put Sheer Force LO Lando instead. This also gives you fantastic synergy with Rotom, which checks Mamoswine. You get a solid VoltTurn core, and can apply pressure as well as open up holes for T-Tar to exploit. You can then go back to running EQ on T-Tar as well.

So something like this?

Landrous @ Life Orb
Sheer Force| Naive
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
U-Turn
Psychic
Focus Blast
Earth Power

Sounds like another answer to my fighting problem.

Seems pretty good to me. Although keep in mind that your original team was MUCH more bulky and able to tank hits. Your team the way it is now (Subbing Lando for Ferro) will make it easier for you to dish out the hurt, but definitely beware the fact you are quite a bit more frail.

Could running defensive pivot Intimidate Landours-T be another option?

Landrous-T @ Leftovers
Intimidate| Naive
248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
U-Turn
Hidden Power Ice
Stone Edge
Earthquake

That could work as well. I just realized that running a LO Sheer Force Lando leaves you weak to Greninja. This would force you to run a SpD Rotom, which means it can't counter Azumarill or Aegislash as well. Running that pivot Lando-T while having a SpD Rotom can let you check all three. A more offensive route could be to run the defensive Rotom, and have a scarfed physical rachi with U Turn to hit Greninja hard, two of the punches, and Iron Head. Up to you bro.

my only concern when rating teams and team building is it always seems to be one step after another until your team is just a standard OU team. I mean rotom-w and lando are about the most common pokes in OU right now along with lucario,

Anyway my pointless ramblings aside, I just want you to keep in mind that it is ok not to be prepared for every threat as long as you are enjoying your team and can handle yourself in most battles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)