Breloom

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

* Breloom combines a great 130 attack stat with a technician boosted priority and ability to cripple pokemons via spore induced sleep, giving it a unique niche
* It also has a good movepool to abuse technician with Rock Tomb, Mach Punch and Bullet Seed while Poison Heal allows to attack from behind a sub and gives it immunity to status
* Typing and access to Mach Punch allows it to offensively check Mega Gyarados, Excadrill, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Ash Greninja, Rotom-W
* Despite useful resistances to Edge Quake combos, Electric, Water and Grass, frail overall bulk and poor speed means any (non-resisted) strong STAB can be enough to OHKO Breloom
* STABs are walled by Poison and Flying and Spore is ineffective against Grass Types or under Misty Terrain/Electric Terrain for grounded pokemon while Mach Punch fails in Psychic Terrain

[SET]
name: Spore Dance (Swords Dance)
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Spore
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Bullet Seed
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
ability: Technician
nature: Jolly/Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Sword Dance boosts its already impressive attack stat to 700+ in one turn
* Spore allows you to cripple an enemy pokemon via sleep and gives you a boosting opportunity or a switch in for another pokemon
* Mach Punch is a technician boosted priority (60 BP) that handles fight weak opponents and faster threats
* Bullet Seed can hit 2-5 times but statistically it averages around 3 which gives Breloom after technician boost a solid 119 BP STAB

Set Details
========

* Maximum speed and attack evs are best for an offensive Breloom, with Jolly allowing it to speed tie opposing Jolly Looms and Bisharps and Adamant outspeeding defensive Rotom-W, defensive Landrous-T and most common Tapu Fini sets
* Life orb grants you immediate power while Focus Sash allows you to act as a lead or survive a strong attack and spore/revenge kill

Usage Tips
========

* Focus Sash can be used to to make it a lead pokemon or as revenge killer
* Can be used mid game to switch into resisted attacks and proceed to use Spore and attack

Team Options
========

* Tapu Bulu: Grassy terrain grants Breloom health recovery and an additional 50% boost to Bullet Seed, strong enough to have a realistic chance of OHKO offensive Tapu Bulu
* Weavile: With its speed and stabs it can pursuit trap and kill Latios, Thundrus and Gengar
* Mega Metagross: Immune to Poison and resisting Fairy, it can kill a number of pokemons including Mega Venusaur, Amoongus, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Latios
* Azumarill: Is a great switch in against Dragons and Ice attacks
* Magnezone can trap Celesteela and eliminate it

[SET]
name: Sub punch (Substitute Attacker)
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Spore
move 3: Focus Punch / Drain Punch
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Toxic Heal
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Substitute allows you to protect yourself against switches and protects you from status effects and allows Focus Punch to work
* Spore incapacitates any non grass pokemon and allows you to set up substitute and attack
* Focus Punch is a 150 BP move and destroys anything that does not resist it
* Drain Punch can be used in tandem with Poison heal to recover even more health
* Seed Bomb is the preferable grass type attack without technician

Set Details
========

* Toxic orb activates Poison Heal and prevents undesirable status from effecting Breloom
12 HP EVs maximize Poison Heal recovery
* Maximum speed and attack evs are best for an offensive Breloom, with Jolly allowing it to speed tie opposing Jolly Looms and Bisharps and Adamant being preferable without SD boosts and outspeeds defensive Rotom-W, defensive Landrous-T and most common Tapu Fini sets

Usage Tips
========

* Can be brought in against resisted attacks, after a pokemon faints or against slower opponents to substitute and spore before attacking

Team Options
========

* Tapu Bulu: Grassy terrain grants Breloom health recovery and an additional 50% boost to Bullet Seed, strong enough to have a realistic chance of OHKO offensive Tapu Bulu
* Weavile: With its speed and stabs it can pursuit trap and kill Latios, Thundrus and Gengar
* Mega Metagross: Immune to Poison and resisting Fairy, it can kill a number of pokemons including Mega Venusaur, Amoongus, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Latios
* Azumarill: Is a great switch in against Dragons and Ice attacks
* Magnezone can trap Celesteela and eliminate it

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Z-BulkUp: With Fightinium Z, Bulk Up gives you +1 def and +2 attack in one turn with HP investment and Drain Punch/Poison Heal

* Technician sets can also use Rock Tomb, Force Palm to slow down opponents and allows Breloom to finish them off with another attack or cripple them for rest of the match, and can be used with Focus Sash, Life Orb or Choice Band

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Grass Types**: Mega Venusaur, Tapu Bulu, Amoongus and Rocky Helmet Tangrowth all take little damage from his main attacks and are immune to Spore

**Faster Attackers** Attackers that can stomach Mach Punches with ease can retaliate and OHKO Breloom such as Thundrus, Tornadus, Gengar, Latios, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Volcarona, Pheromosa, Alakazam, etc.

**Alola Marowak** With its Ghost/Fire typing it is immune to Fight attacks and resists Grass although it is much slower and can be put to sleep if no one else is

**Electric, Psychic and Misty Terrains** Electric and Misty Terrains prevent Sleep and Status effects respectively for grounded pokemon, preventing it from using Spore or Poison Heal on first turn, while Psychic terrain nullifies priority attacks

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Make sure to mention somewhere that Bullet Seed is so powerful in grassy terrain that it can OHKO Tapu Bulu (this is not a joke - 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 260-310 (92.5 - 110.3%) -- approx. 56.3% chance to OHKO). I think this is just nicely illustrative of how ludicrously strong it is.

Make sure to mention somewhere that Bullet Seed is so powerful in grassy terrain that it can OHKO Tapu Bulu (this is not a joke - 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 260-310 (92.5 - 110.3%) -- approx. 56.3% chance to OHKO). I think this is just nicely illustrative of how ludicrously strong it is.
You need to hit 5 times though :P and Tapu Bulu tend to run some HP too, at least I do

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
there is no reason to slash seed bomb with bullet seed or even mention it in moves on the choice band set. at worst, technician bullet seed will hit with slightly less power than seed bomb (base 75 [2 hit bullet seed] vs base 80 [seed bomb]), and in many cases, it'll hit even harder.

that's boring, I want the reader to be wowed at how outrageous it is that this can even happen.
Yeah but under Grassy Terrain, almost any Grass mon actually looks scary... I don't think mentioning that OHKO chance is actually necessary cuz it's kind of giving the reader a distorted image of Breloom imao. Also, it may encourage a newer player to think that running a Grassy Terrain team or smth would be a great-idea... maybe in monotype but this is OU... I mean, it is a interesting calc, but it is quite irrelevant imao :P

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
there is no reason to slash seed bomb with bullet seed or even mention it in moves on the choice band set. at worst, technician bullet seed will hit with slightly less power than seed bomb (base 75 [2 hit bullet seed] vs base 80 [seed bomb]), and in many cases, it'll hit even harder.
Adding to this - Why is Low Sweep on the set at all? It isn't boosted by Technician and hasn't been ever since it got "buffed" to 65 BP in XY. Even a move like Superpower would be a better pick there, but if you really need to have a drawback-free STAB, Force Palm is boosted by Technician.

That is, if CB should even get a set at all. It didn't get a set in XY and I don't see what changed to make it set-worthy.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Drain Punch has to be worth a mention somewhere, possibly as a slash on the Poison Heal set.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Yeah but under Grassy Terrain, almost any Grass mon actually looks scary... I don't think mentioning that OHKO chance is actually necessary cuz it's kind of giving the reader a distorted image of Breloom imao. Also, it may encourage a newer player to think that running a Grassy Terrain team or smth would be a great-idea... maybe in monotype but this is OU... I mean, it is a interesting calc, but it is quite irrelevant imao :P
How is it not relevant that Breloom can just plow through a Pokemon that should by every right be a counter by being physically bulky, resisting both its STABs, outspeeding it and OHKOing it with Zen Headbutt? Breloom's Bullet Seed is capable of hit 187.5 base power, that's far greater than any other attack in the game. Illustrating its power is important as it shows the reader that Tapu Bulu is not at all a counter, and that its capable of bullet seeding through a lot of neutral physical defensive threats like Toxapex, or Landorus-T, who normally can handle physical life orb attackers.

How is it not relevant that Breloom can just plow through a Pokemon that should by every right be a counter by being physically bulky, resisting both its STABs, outspeeding it and OHKOing it with Zen Headbutt? Breloom's Bullet Seed is capable of hit 187.5 base power, that's far greater than any other attack in the game. Illustrating its power is important as it shows the reader that Tapu Bulu is not at all a counter, and that its capable of bullet seeding through a lot of neutral physical defensive threats like Toxapex, or Landorus-T, who normally can handle physical life orb attackers.
Ahh, now I get your point lol, it didn't seem relevant cuz I completely forgot Bulu is faster and has Zen Headbutt. I didn't play attention to the fact that Bulu is a complete counter, my bad... Now I agree with you, that's probably worth mentioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)