Biggest sports upsets?

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Liverpool down 3-0 at half time in the Champions League final against AC Milan, who were dominating throughout the first 45 minutes. The miraculously Liverpool turn the game on its head with 3 second half goals, taking the game to extra time where Liverpool won a majorly intense penalty shoot-out.

I don't like Liverpool but you have to give credit where credit is due.

8th seed Nuggets beat 1st seed Supersonics after being down 0-3 in the series.
No team in NBA history has ever come back to win a series after down 3-0. I think you're thinking the '94 Nuggets vs Sonics, which was a 5 game series. They came back from 2-0 to win.

Some more memorable moments in the NBA:
-Knicks in the 1999 season, being the #8 seed made it all the way to the finals.
-Dallas VS. Miami NBA finals 2006. Up 2-0 in the series, Dallas owner Mark Cuban already started preparing for the celebration parade. They lost the next four games.

not a single moment, but how about the fact that Roberto Baggio never managed to win a single international championship even though he was considered one of the world's best for so many years. in fact, i don't believe he ever was even selected for the italian olympic team...

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Watford drew 1-1 with Inter Milan in a friendly a couple of seasons ago, although they didn't win a mid Championship club drawing with a top Serie A side is still a pretty big upset.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's not an upset when they dominated the perennially loaded AL East from July to October. It certainly was a surprise, I'll give you that. But upsets are one-time flukes, not a season.

Senegal beating France 1-0 back in Japan/Korea '02
South Korea getting to the Semi's '02
Greece winning Euro '04
Leeds losing 1-0 to Sunderland '73 FA Cup final (Dad's a leeds fan)

I do remember a story I was told of in school of a relaitvely unknown english pub team (Early 1900's) with the initials WA (they were invited to take part instead of Woolwich Arsenal by accident) took part in the first european compeition upsetting the likes of Barcelona and Juventus (who were considered best teams in the world at the time)

And my Favourite

Scotland beating France 1-0 home and away in Euro '08 Qualifiers

Non-FOOTBALL (Not soccer, FOOTBALL) :P

Cassius Clay beating Liston?

EDIT: Oh and yesterday Egypt beat Italy 1-0

Senegal beating France 1-0 back in Japan/Korea '02
South Korea getting to the Semi's '02
Greece winning Euro '04
It's not really an upset. The refs completely blew two calls and gave korea the win in the round of 16 and then in the quarter finals. Not an upset, just the worst refereeing EVER

Actually worse refereeing would consitute a Croation player getting 3 yellow cards before being sent off against Australia in the '02 tournament.

Or the Goal that never was Watford Vs. Reading (was it?) Just because a bad decision is made... Bad calls are made all the time, fact of the matter is, Korea got to the semi's that's what will be remembered

Im glad and pleased that Nadal lost at Roland Garos! Federer is the best!
This. Nadal annoys me to no end, and I stood up and applauded when he lost. Uppity punk.

I'd also like to echo Miracle on Ice and the '08 Super Bowl. I'm glad to see so many different sports being mentioned here, though. :)

So many great moments have been mentioned, so I am going with a homer pick here to add-on to the list.

2008 Fiesta Bowl: WVU over Oklaholma 48-28

Nobody gave WVU a chance, because weeks before the game, Rich Rodriguez left to sign with Michigan, and Oklahoma was ranked 3rd in the nation. They only gave up 92 rushing yards per game up to that point, but somehow, WVU rushed for 349 yards! Plus a 20 point margin of victory made it more of a shocking upset.

And speaking of Oklahoma being a target for upsets, I don't think anyone has mentioned the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, which many people dub as one of the greatest college football games of all time. Boise State vs. Oklaholma. Again, many people thought Oklahoma was going to pound Boise State, who was undefeated, but got in by the newly added rule of a guarantee BCS bid to a non-BCS conference. And the rest is history.....

Baseball:
- Colorado Rockies run
- Fresno State winning the College Baseball championship.
- Netherlands over the Domican Republic in the WBC.
Basketball:
- Warriors over the Mavericks
- George Mason's run to the Final Four
Football:
- Giants over the Patriots
Soccer:
- Tough one, but Bolivia national soccer team OUSTING Argentina 6-1. and the goals were ridiculous...
- Greece winning the Eurocup in 04
- Trinidad and Tobago in the world cup.
Hockey:
- Miracle on Ice!!!

And add the Jamaican Bobsled team too :) Cool Runnings! I might add more, but this is what I got.
For basketball, two ones id add on:
1. Notre Dame ends UCLA's 88 game win streak
2. The Knicks make the championship as the 8th seed, even though it was the lockout shortened season

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Biggest upset- New York Giants defeat the then-undefeated New England Patriots thanks to a miracle catch by David "Who?" Tyree in a last minute drive, after New England stormed down the field to take the lead late in the 4th quarter.

Second biggest upset- The Boston Red Sox, down 3 games to 0 and losing in the bottom of the 9th of game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, facing the best closer in the history of baseball...they come back to tie the game, win it in the 12th, then miraculously win the next three games to advance to and win the world series. The biggest comeback in sports history.
i love both of these sports "upsets" more than any others that could be remotely considered upsets, because I absolutely hate the Patriots more than any other team ever, except maybe the Yankees (I'm born and raised in Pittsburgh and have been a Bosox fan since '97). I 100% meant it when I said that somebody, anybody beating the Pats in 2007 at any point after they were like 11-0 or whatever would mean more to me than the Steelers winning a title for the next 10 or so years, mainly because the steelers already won in 2005 but also because that's how much i hate the pats. The 2004 ALCS therefore actually came to mind first when I read the title, and i was mock-surprised when I didn't see it mentioned in the first few posts and almost Ctrl-Fed for "Boston" or "ALCS" while skimming down till I saw your post. that said, it probably wasn't a real "upset" if you really think about it (i detailed all the shit i just did to indicate that if anything i'd blindly and adamantly agree with you being a longtime sox fan), since when you do think about it you remember that the sox and the yankees are relatively even matched or whatever over the last 20 years...like, i mean, the red sox arent by any stretch of the word a real "underdog" like the 94 nuggets were or robin soderling was. i mean obviously the yanks and sox wasn 1-2 respectively in the AL East standing for like 6-7 straight years around that time, but you kind of get what i'm saying.

though i guess even then i am grossly downplaying the significance of "the curse", which is much of the reason that sox-yanks is arguably the greatest rivalry in sports. and is the reason, after losing the first three games of the ALCS, and knowing that no team in baseball ever, period (and only two NHL teams, none in basketball as pointed out) had come back from down 0-3 to win a playoff series, that it can be considered an "upset", since the sox had to overcome not only virtually insurmountable on-paper odds (no team down 0-3 etc), but also contend with "the curse". and no matter how much stock you place in the curse (i have a feeling someone like CK would pooh-pooh its significance or even its existence), that's doesn't really matter when the curse, whatever it is, was hyped up for decades and decades by the media and fans of both sides and baseball fans in general, so when asking people what an upset or comeback or whatever is, the curse is going to be in everyone's mind.

so i guess yeah, we can call the 2004 ALCS the biggest upset ever, now that I think about it further. because the red sox didn't just upset a team. and i'd argue that they didn't *actually* upset a team since the yanks were comparable skill-wise. i don't think we're calling it an "upset" if the sox won the first three and the yanks did the near-impossible and won four straight...that would obviously be one of the best comebacks ever if not the best, but not an upset. the 2004 red sox upset The Curse. and that's what's a big deal.

as far as the pats-giants, yeah, pretty improbable, and obviously you're dumb if you forget that the patriots were 18-0 at the time, but i'd think you're being forgetful if you also fail to recall that, of all the teams the pats ran through, and all the double digit blowouts and 16, 17 point spreads that the pats still easily covered, the giants "only" lost by three points, 38-35, in the regular season finalé. it's almost a coincidence (and an unfortunate one for the patriots) that of all the teams they had to play in the SB, they had to play the one that came closest to beating them. so yeah, upsetting a streak, but as far as the actual game is concerned, no one should really have been "upset" surprised that the giants were able to pull it off.

tldr: &Jumpman16 sets topic: fuck the pats | fuck the yanks | g0b0s0x

Yes, I can somewhat agree with that Jumpman. As far as the Giants being the closest during the regular season, I actually think the Ravens/Eagles were closer. All 3 games were within a field goal, but the other 2 games were down to the wire. The Giants had I believe a 12 pt lead at half, then they just fell apart in the 4th quarter. I also am pretty sure that The Giants were a 10+ pt underdog in the Super Bowl, which is pretty rare. Eli also made up for that horrific 4th quarter against the Pats during the regular season to lead the Giants on the game winning drive (with some luck from david tyree). As for the Red Sox series, I agree with that. If the Yankees were very dominant over the Red Sox, then that would be considered one of the greatest upsets/comebacks. Since they were so evenly matched for years, its just a great comeback.

For upsets, you gotta look at teams that were given no shot to win against championship caliber teams. The biggest upset should almost guarenteed be USA winning Gold after defeating the U.S.S.R in the 1980 Winter Olympics. A bunch of College hockey players defeated the big red machine that was full of Russian pros. Even a team like George Mason. If you look at that UConn team they beat to advance to the Final Four, its crazy. All 5 of their starters were drafted to the NBA, and I dont think one player from that George Mason team made the league. The best part is they did it in OT. I dont think anybody would of given George Mason any chance if that game went to OT, but they still pulled it out. Lastly, you can look at that UCLA Team that won 88 games. That feat will never be repeated by any college basketball team, ever again. 88 game win streak, and Notre Dame snapped it. Even the UConn womans team that won 70+ games. Im not sure who they lost to, but it is also an upset to see that streak snapped too.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Something has to be said for the upset that happened about 3 minutes ago; USA beating #1 Spain 2-0. Biggest upset ever seems like a stretch, but definitely relevant.

I still have a place in my heart for the Giants beating the Patriots. David Tyree...what a hell of a catch.

I love how Jump is a Red Sox fan and a Patriots hater (WTF?).

As much as I love the pats, I have to agree that the 08' Super Bowl was probably the greatest upset in sports history. Also the David Tyree catch was probably the biggest catch in the super bowl (Sorry Steelers fans). Seriously, Rodney Harrison was practically Raping him. Additionally Eli was probably a fraction of a second from being called down from forward progress before he slipped from his would be tackler.

04' ALCS is up there as well.

The 2001 World Series. The Arizona Diamondbacks defeat the New York Yankees in 7 games. The best closer in the history of the game fails to close out a team with a rookie coach, a bunch of has-been and never-will-be players in the bottom of the ninth inning in game 7. Huge upset. I happened to live in Pennsylvania at the time, so it was particularly satisfying to me to have my home state team defeat everyone's beloved Yankees. Arizona also became the youngest team in MLB history to capture the championship; they were added as an expansion club in 1998.

Some other good ones... let's see...

Rafael Nadal defeats Roger Federer in the 2008 Wimbledon final. Most epic tennis match ever played.

Dwyane Wade leads the Miami Heat to a 7-game comeback victory over the heavily-favored Dallas Mavericks in order to capture the 2006 NBA Championship.

2007 NBA playoffs, Round 1, the Golden State Warriors defeat the 67-game winning juggernaut Dallas Mavericks. Truly incredible story if you read all of its ins and outs.

And if "Biggest sports upsets" also includes "Biggest sports letdowns," or "Biggest sports upsets that almost happened," the 2009 Super Bowl hurt. Bad. I cried. =( I still wear my "Believe In Now" shirt regularly, and will continue to wear it every Sunday until my Cards win a title.

Dwyane Wade leads the Miami Heat to a 7-game comeback victory over the heavily-favored Dallas Mavericks in order to capture the 2006 NBA Championship.
blame the refs :b

2007 NBA playoffs, Round 1, the Golden State Warriors defeat the 67-game winning juggernaut Dallas Mavericks. Truly incredible story if you read all of its ins and outs.
the warriors were 3-0 against my mavs that regular season, so it wasn't an upset per se (though I admittedly did post about it earlier because it was just so saddening). that was a great mavs team and I think we would've definitely won the title that year if we had played any other team besides the warriors in the first round.

blame the refs :b

the warriors were 3-0 against my mavs that regular season, so it wasn't an upset per se (though I admittedly did post about it earlier because it was just so saddening). that was a great mavs team and I think we would've definitely won the title that year if we had played any other team besides the warriors in the first round.
The Warriors-Mavs series, like this year's Magic-Cavs series, just proved that the NBA Playoffs are all about matchups.

And yes, the refs definitely gave Wade the opportunity, but he still made his free throws. As Orlando demonstrated this year, that's not always an easy prospect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)