SV OU Beginner to Teambuilding, looking for some advice -- Samurott-Hisui + Weavile Hazard Stack

Here's a pokepaste to the team: https://pokepast.es/896fdbdcbcc5a144

Performance:

1712433482792.png

Weavile (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

I remembered the terror Weavile was in gen 8 and wanted to use it again. This is the team's main wall breaker. Knock-off synergizes well with the hazards Samurott-H sets up. I chose to put swords dance instead of low kick, as I thought I already had a decent enough match-up against Kingambit thanks to Skarmory.

Samurott-Hisui (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Aqua Cutter
- Flip Turn
- Sacred Sword

Choice Scarf is mainly for a better match-up against Cinderace (who I find especially problematic for the team). I slot in Sacred Sword mainly for opposing Samurott-H, but Choice Scarf has allowed me to get surprise kills against Meowscarada and Roaring Moon. I don't like missing so I put in Aqua Cutter instead of Razor Shell. This set gets worn down very quickly due to the team's lack of hazard removal. As a result, I rarely see myself clicking Knock-Off (since my goal is usually to set up spikes the few times Samurott-H enters the field), so I decided to put Flip-Turn for momentum instead. I didn't really bother thinking about the Tera so I just put in Ghost for emergency spin-blocking.

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam

No hazard stack is complete without Gholdengo. Air Balloon's for a better match-up against Great-Tusk and Kyurem. I chose a more defensive set with for a better match-up against Iron Valiant and Zamazenta, as well as a last resort against scary physical attackers, such as Iron Boulder. Tera Fairy and dazzling gleam helps against Dark types and allows it to sweep at times.

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

This is for checking set-up physical sweepers, such as Kingambit and Roaring Moon. Tera Dragon is for beating Ogerpon-W and Gouging Fire. Overall a pretty standard set, so not much to explain.

Clodsire (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic
- Rock Tomb

This is for countering Raging Bolt/ Volcarona/ Gholdengo. I put Rock Tomb to beat Air Balloon Gholdengo because the other team members already lay down hazards. I have no idea what its Tera should be, so I chose steel.

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

I wanted some more speed control and a special attacker with more immediate power than Gholdengo, so I chose Iron Valiant. This mon usually sweeps late game and Tera Ghost helps against Slowking-G and Gholdengo. Encore has been useful in so many unexpected situations so I never dropped it.

Problems:
- Cinderace, who can court change all the hazards. My only fire resist is Samurott-H, who's already so prone to being worn down.
- Hatterene; my only real counter is Gholdengo, who can get crippled by nuzzle and mystical fire.
- Ogerpon-W: this thing is impossible to switch into, and I often need to burn my Tera on Skarmory to beat it.
- Rain Teams: Raging Bolt with Weather Ball absolutely destroys my team, my team doesn't have a reliable way to kill Pelipper, either.
- Sun Teams: Walking Wake destroys this team, no reliable way to kill Torkoal, either.
- I also feel like my team also lacks a source of immediate power. Weavile requires set-up to break through Corviknight, Skarmory, Garganacl, etc. The same problem lies with Iron Valiant, and I'm usually hesitant to bring it in because I don't want to burn the Booster Energy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Here's a pokepaste to the team: https://pokepast.es/896fdbdcbcc5a144

Performance:

View attachment 622490

Weavile (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

I remembered the terror Weavile was in gen 8 and wanted to use it again. This is the team's main wall breaker. Knock-off synergizes well with the hazards Samurott-H sets up. I chose to put swords dance instead of low kick, as I thought I already had a decent enough match-up against Kingambit thanks to Skarmory.

Samurott-Hisui (F) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Aqua Cutter
- Flip Turn
- Sacred Sword

Choice Scarf is mainly for a better match-up against Cinderace (who I find especially problematic for the team). I slot in Sacred Sword mainly for opposing Samurott-H, but Choice Scarf has allowed me to get surprise kills against Meowscarada and Roaring Moon. I don't like missing so I put in Aqua Cutter instead of Razor Shell. This set gets worn down very quickly due to the team's lack of hazard removal. As a result, I rarely see myself clicking Knock-Off (since my goal is usually to set up spikes the few times Samurott-H enters the field), so I decided to put Flip-Turn for momentum instead. I didn't really bother thinking about the Tera so I just put in Ghost for emergency spin-blocking.

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam

No hazard stack is complete without Gholdengo. Air Balloon's for a better match-up against Great-Tusk and Kyurem. I chose a more defensive set with for a better match-up against Iron Valiant and Zamazenta, as well as a last resort against scary physical attackers, such as Iron Boulder. Tera Fairy and dazzling gleam helps against Dark types and allows it to sweep at times.

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

This is for checking set-up physical sweepers, such as Kingambit and Roaring Moon. Tera Dragon is for beating Ogerpon-W and Gouging Fire. Overall a pretty standard set, so not much to explain.

Clodsire (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic
- Rock Tomb

This is for countering Raging Bolt/ Volcarona/ Gholdengo. I put Rock Tomb to beat Air Balloon Gholdengo because the other team members already lay down hazards. I have no idea what its Tera should be, so I chose steel.

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

I wanted some more speed control and a special attacker with more immediate power than Gholdengo, so I chose Iron Valiant. This mon usually sweeps late game and Tera Ghost helps against Slowking-G and Gholdengo. Encore has been useful in so many unexpected situations so I never dropped it.

Problems:
- Cinderace, who can court change all the hazards. My only fire resist is Samurott-H, who's already so prone to being worn down.
- Hatterene; my only real counter is Gholdengo, who can get crippled by nuzzle and mystical fire.
- Ogerpon-W: this thing is impossible to switch into, and I often need to burn my Tera on Skarmory to beat it.
- Rain Teams: Raging Bolt with Weather Ball absolutely destroys my team, my team doesn't have a reliable way to kill Pelipper, either.
- Sun Teams: Walking Wake destroys this team, no reliable way to kill Torkoal, either.
- I also feel like my team also lacks a source of immediate power. Weavile requires set-up to break through Corviknight, Skarmory, Garganacl, etc. The same problem lies with Iron Valiant, and I'm usually hesitant to bring it in because I don't want to burn the Booster Energy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for reading.
I would personally put whirlwind over stealth rocks on skarmory, and maybe put in on clodsire.
change clodsire to water absorb, as you have said you are weak to rain teams (maybe not since rain is pretty dead after archa left)
if you need immediate power, try putting band on something.
the first advice is because rock Tomb clodsire is not a real set
the second just feels right.
the third is quite true.

Hey man, I created this account just to reply, cause I've also wanted to start posting my own teams on here and learn more about the meta. But your team caught my attention and I tested it for a little bit.

ELOs from the two accounts I play in, for reference

1712451871825.png

1712451948085.png

I tested the team for about 8 games and made modifications along the way, here's what I concluded:

-The team clearly has a good base in a hazard stack core of HSamu, Skarm and Gold, hazard stack is obviously strong rn and all three of those Pokemon are solid at shutting down certain MUs

-The team lacks any form of hazard control and tends to struggle against opposing hazard stacking playstyles, unless Weavile lands Knock Offs on the enemy, which is easier said than done, considering Weavile is not an easy Pokemon to switch in, in practice. Otherwise, Weavile serves as a great win condition that sinergizes well with the rest of the team

-While I don't dislike Clodsire and I understand why it's on the team: helps clearing TSpikes, shuts down Volc and Dirge and it gives you some extra speed control. But I also found Clod hard to use because of how it performs alongside the rest of the team, since a lot of it is setup oriented. It feels like, outside of HSamu and Weavile Knocks, it feels a bit slow at making progress against very defensive cores, also I haven't tried it against stall, but I can see the team struggling with all the Gliscors roaming around.

-Valiant as it stands right now feels like a setup sweeper that brings short term value more than anything, with a set like that I could see it in something like HO, but I found more use in Valiant when I could switch in on the opponent more, maintaining its great Speed tier.

-I don't even know why I faced it so much, but Sticky Web is very strong against the team. Without hazard control, Valiant gets gutted by the Speed drop, and Samurott loses its Speed control. Outside of Weav, the team overall loses a lot of its strenghts vs Webs teams.

All of this brings me to my own version of the team, which I found a lot of success with, here's the paste: https://pokepast.es/b7cf8ecf9c70df09

Slowking-Galar (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder Wave
- Chilly Reception

This I think is the most important change. Glowking over Clod helps the team in a ton of ways. With Future Sight, it can force awkward switch ins on the opponent that you can take advantage of, and the strong chip damage helps at making more progress on defensive cores and select Pokemon like Pult, Tusk, Waterpon and Zenta. Chilly Reception gives you some very important pivoting tools to support Weavile and helping it at switching in more often. It also keeps the speed control with Twave that you had with Clod. Tera Bug just exists as a last resort against opposing Ground moves from the likes of Tusk and Ting Lu, and it maintains the Fight and Grass resist for the team, you could change it to Tera Water if you need help against Walking Wake or Volcarona.

Samurott-Hisui (F) @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Razor Shell
- Flip Turn
- Sucker Punch

This is more biased from me, as I personally love using AV Samurott, but I changed it from Scarf to get more opportunities to switch in and set Spikes, while having that extra bulk for Gold and Volc, it's mainly those two. Sucker Punch gives you the much needed priority (could be changed for Aqua Jet), and the choice betweeen Aqua Cutter and Razor Shell is up to you but I prefer Razor Shell to snowball with that Defense drop. I opted out of Sacred Sword because I feel it would be overkill on the Gambit MU if you already have Valiant and Skarmory to switch in against, and priority becomes more important without Scarf.

Iron Valiant @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

The final change is definitely the most unorthodox of the three, and it is for sure up to change, but I liked using this Mixed Scarf Valiant to keep its Speed boost throughout the battle, and it's another form of removing Boots on opponents with Trick, it's good at shutting down stall cores with Glowking, Blissey and Clodsire. Close Combat for special walls that might want to switch in on Val, Heatran being the first that comes to mind. This set can be modified a million ways, you could try Knock Off, Psyshock, fast Destiny Bond or not even Scarf at all, and instead use something like Specs for more immediate damage, but this is how I found the most success using Val.

Here are some things to note:

-Without Clod, Volc becomes a much more problematic MU, which is why I tried AV Samurott on my version of the team, it is for sure the most dangerous offensive threat against the team as it stands rn, but is is winnable.

-Waterpon is another problematic MU that forces a lot of trades against it, it's a dangerous Pokemon to face on team preview and you always have to consider the possibilty of it switching in throughout the match. But it can at least be revenge killed.

-The team still lacks hazard control and you should probably look for an option if you don't want to run Boots spam on your team, which forces you to change a lot of its structure and ways of forcing progress. None of these options are perfect, but consider Calm Mind Hatt, a supportive Tusk set with Boots or Phys Def Corv with Defog, they will force you to make some changes if you try to fit them in, but they are not bad ideas if you really need hazard control.

-Cinderace is still a problematic MU that just forces a ton of damage on your team, I didn't account for it as I was testing. Then again it can be revenge killed, and Weavile shuts it down once it sets up SD. But as of now I suggest saving your hazards and beating Ace as quick as possible as part of your gameplan. Trying Gliscor and Gouging Fire as options to sponge its hits are also good options.

That's really it tbh, I definitely don't think my fixes are perfect, and I'm not sure if this is the vision you had or the sets you wanted to use. But at least I hope my long rambling taught you a thing or two, and that is was helpful for the team you wanted to run. Again take all of this with a grain of salt, as I'm also learning about SV OU. Take care.

That's really it tbh, I definitely don't think my fixes are perfect, and I'm not sure if this is the vision you had or the sets you wanted to use. But at least I hope my long rambling taught you a thing or two, and that is was helpful for the team you wanted to run. Again take all of this with a grain of salt, as I'm also learning about SV OU. Take care.
Thanks for the pointers, I will be sure to try the new team out! It seems like having Slowking-G improves any team lol.

This is my first team that I thought about and for double ou. In theory it works but i don’t think I know how to use its full power.

475-0.png

Gallade (M) @ Life Orb

Tera Type: Psychic

EVs: 24 HP / 124 Atk / 12 SpA / 108 SpD / 240 Spe

- Wide Guard

- Trick Room

- Psycho Cut

- Reversal

Archaludon.600.3993922.jpeg

Archaludon @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stamina

EVs: 228 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD

Relaxed Nature

- Body Press

- Electro Shot

- Roar

- Dragon Pulse

861-0.png

Grimmsnarl @ Iron Ball

Ability: Pickpocket

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 128 Atk / 76 Def / 116 SpA / 144 Spe

Lonely Nature

- Fling

- Fake Out

- Drain Punch

- Draining Kiss

992-0.png

Iron Hands @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Tera Type: Fighting

EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 140 Def / 64 SpA

Impish Nature

- Fake Out

- Brick Break

- Electric Terrain

- Drain Punch

39-0.png

Jigglypuff @ Leftovers

Ability: Friend Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 128 Def

Brave Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Gyro Ball

- Helping Hand

- Ice Beam

- Heal Pulse

386-2.png

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers

Tera Type: Psychic

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

- Flash Cannon

- Trick Room

- Extreme Speed

- Skill Swap

Archaludon is my main Pokémon. With its type and how slow it is my first thought was to use weakness policy and trickroom
using Gallade’ speed.

Gallade is my main truck room user paring up with archalundon and Jigglypuff. It’s move reversal is crucial because it can make him do less damage on archalundon and is really strong

Grimmsnarl is my main support Pokémon paring well with everyone. Most people use it as a set up or prankster. Most people would want to get rid of it. That’s where fling comes to play. He well use fling and also steal their items.

Iron Hands. I need a strong Pokémon a Pokémon where trickroom could be our down fall. Idk much about him but the moves I picked should help him stall and get some Harvey hitters out

Jigglypuff. Friend guard and heal pulse

Deoxys-Defense. Is my second trick room setter making when gallade falls he would be able to take his place with out any cons. Very good if for trickroom with low speed and high defence. He could be annoying for any good Pokémon’s who uses their ability and be able to help with skill swap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)