Battlefield 3 (now with gun damage numbers)

The choice between shotguns is pretty much down to personal preference since the 870 pumps so fast anyways. Again between buckshot and flechette it depends on what sort of areas you tend to patrol with your shotgun. Personally I don't really use the shotgun for too many maps apart from Grand Bazaar and Operation Metro. I'll sometimes use it if I want to full out bitch mode defend a bomb site but that isn't usually my style. I don't know if adding a laser sight would tighten your spread on a shotgun though since the spread comes from the nature of the round itself. I may be wrong though. I agree that frag is pretty terrible and I guess the only use would be if you were using it with SUPR but whats the point of surpressing people up close when you can just kill them....

As for using the engineer weapons as assault rifles, well they are carbines which is essentially a shortened assault rifle anyway.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
hit detection in this game is buggy as shit and as such, i tend to avoid shotguns (miss with the initial shot in a non surprise scenario and it's game over). i can't count the number of times i've ducked in to cover and STILL have gotten killed 1-2 seconds later.

really enjoying the game though (PC version; Origin ID: theamatomachine). graphics are great, gameplay is pure Battlefield. wish there was more variety in the maps and that CPs weren't so clustered (i play exclusively Conquest Large) but alas. next on my agenda is to learn how to not crash a jet in under 30 seconds of piloting.

Well may I say I've been having a blast w/ it. I just reached level 40, and I gt pretty much everything but the CO-OP unlocks.

What I don't like well is I have to play co-op just to get the many good weapons hosted there. I was glad when the m93R was in the game, but when I figured out I had to do co-op just to get it was nerve-racking, though through the unlocks i gt from co-op I've got the kh-2002 which is became my favorite weapon once I used it. I guess I just love burst weapons.

How do you guys feel about having to do co-op to get certain weapons.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to build the Assault and Engineer classes, so I don't use the shotgun much unless I'm in Recon class. You're probably right as far as the buckshot not being tighter with the laser sight, though, which is probably why so many just recommend Nooblight. Guess I want to build Support one day, but it's lower on my to-do list.

I don't know, I usually use Shotguns in TDM, which is probably the mode I play a little more often. I don't mind Conquest, I just suck at driving the jets and helicopters (main reasons I want to play), so it kind of puts a space between me and Conquest. I couldn't figure out a map where Shotguns really are good in Conquest (maybe in Operation Metro since there's no vehicles).
next on my agenda is to learn how to not crash a jet in under 30 seconds of piloting.
Still on my agenda with learning how to use the Bolt Action Sniper Rifles better (I just learned today one shot kills only apply to headshots...). I know you can practice the helicopter on the second co-op mission, but I don't really want to piss people off either. Maybe try this, which I will be trying when I get a chance:
- If you have trouble flying, the stick layout Legacy is found to be a easier configuration because “Roll” is excluded on the left thumb stick.
If there was a setup like Star Fox... maybe I could use it.

I was a bit put off about doing co-op for weapons as well at first, but when I actually got into a co-op game with someone it was fun as hell. Everything just feels intense and epic and I tend to get really into it. I'd imagine it does get boring when you have to repeat missions for points but I'm still in the honeymoon period for co-op :)

As for flying, I find the helicopters much harder to fly honestly. Atleast with a jet you can get back in control fairly quickly but if I dare to try to bank the chopper I know I'm gonna crash very soon.

Finally picked this up today, after my PS3 broke awhile back...

Singleplayer was such crap. I was really disappointed. You could have slapped that campaign in MW3 and the experience would have been identical.

Otherwise, the MP is blowing my mind. I really love the new maps.

I'm trying to build the Assault and Engineer classes, so I don't use the shotgun much unless I'm in Recon class. You're probably right as far as the buckshot not being tighter with the laser sight, though, which is probably why so many just recommend Nooblight. Guess I want to build Support one day, but it's lower on my to-do list.
You should hold off on Shotguns till your in the 37-45 level range. There you'll be unlocking The USAS(auto shotgun), and the..... wow I forgot my own Sgun I use but it looks like those guns mobs use haha, and it holds 8rounds Semi-auto.

Also I feel they nerfed grinding for recon. I already got my service star for it but I feel the only way im getting points besides one-man arming everything with the PDW-R in rush is staying super far away to get those marksman headshots. I can easily rack up heads from afar, but people that just pick up the game are gonna have a hard time using bolt actions. I feel assault, and engineer are the easiest to use. Assault because all you have to do is watch your partners drop, and zap em back up.

I think you may be talking about the DAO-12 soul survivor? But anyways I think shotgun is viable from the get go. The 870MCS is unlocked level 1 and like I said before it shoots as fast as a semi-auto anyway. Besides I'm pretty confident that the 870MCS seems to have a bit more range than the other ones, but that may just be me.

Also disregard whatever I've said about 12G Frag rounds in the past- they are too strong. You can slap an IRNV scope on your shotgun and use it as a sniper pretty much. Especially if you have the Suppression ability on. At medium ranges you're probably better off with your shotgun than stuff like the UMP or P90. Or instead use the frag rounds with the USAS and spray down hallways or while walking into the bomb area in Operation Metro for double kills each time. The only downside I see to frag rounds is that you can take damage in extreme close ranges and kill yourself if you're already heavily damaged. But other than that Frag rounds are the best.

I think you may be talking about the DAO-12 soul survivor? But anyways I think shotgun is viable from the get go. The 870MCS is unlocked level 1 and like I said before it shoots as fast as a semi-auto anyway. Besides I'm pretty confident that the 870MCS seems to have a bit more range than the other ones, but that may just be me.

Also disregard whatever I've said about 12G Frag rounds in the past- they are too strong. You can slap an IRNV scope on your shotgun and use it as a sniper pretty much. Especially if you have the Suppression ability on. At medium ranges you're probably better off with your shotgun than stuff like the UMP or P90. Or instead use the frag rounds with the USAS and spray down hallways or while walking into the bomb area in Operation Metro for double kills each time. The only downside I see to frag rounds is that you can take damage in extreme close ranges and kill yourself if you're already heavily damaged. But other than that Frag rounds are the best.
Yep the DAO-12 is what I use. Also early on like when the game came out I used the 870. I don't know why I stopped. I got every attachment on it. I guess I was annoyed when I would shoot and not kill, and then get killed. Also I never used the frag rounds. I think i'll try it. Also I remember in the beta 12 gauge slugs were soo good but now it seems terrible. Also Infared Sguns are pretty darn amazing.

Also Im not a pc player but when I play on the console where theres only 24 players. I don't how people rack kills with the jet. I can have a jet in the air the whole game and not get a kill. Even when I swoop down and shoot I get hit markers barely. I guess its just me.

aamto

if anyone else plays the PC version, i'd be down for some co-op play. origin ID is theamatomachine.

pookar is a little bitch.

There was a weapon-damage chart that a group of people tested and posted on reddit, and surprisingly (unless things were changed in the recent patch), all but a few of the assault rifles, carbines, and LMGs had the same damage/per bullet at close ranges (within 50 yards or so). Standouts were the PKP (for support), G3 (assault), and SCAR-H (engineer), which did a decent amount more (and the same as each other). By this, how fast you kill somebody is pretty much only based on rate of fire, how accurate your weapon is, and how bad the muzzle climb is.

I played engineer a lot in BFBC2 and have stuck with that for the most part in BF3 (which is an incredible game btw), but recently I've started playing a lot of support, and it's a blast. I recently unlocked the PKP and have been using it with the bipod, various red dot sites, and the extended mag, and it's one relentless bastard. The bipod is almost a cheat as it leaves you with great accuracy and almost no muzzle rise, and the extended mag lets me just keep on shooting (great if there's a group of people I'm shooting at) or shoot while turning a corner if I know somebody is around it so I can get the jump on them. The muzzle rise is manageable at close range as long as your aiming down the site, and C4 is absolutely great for blowing up tanks, as most gunners suck and are always looking where the driver is looking.

I have it on xbl, message me if you want to add me :)

I absolutely love this game. I think one of the many things that I prefer about Battlefield over Call Of Duty is that there aren't as many trash talkers or little kids (I only dislike the little kids when they're trash talking). Overall, I think it is more of a tactical and realistic game than pretty much any other game out there. I play CoD as well, but I prefer Battlefield.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I tried Frag rounds. They're pretty awesome, but I think the problem is the only semi-auto Shotgun I have is the M1014, which isn't really that great to begin with from my experience. Probably once I get the SAIGA or USAS, I would be more than glad to give Frags a good chance. The biggest issues I have with it is:

- Finding the right bullet drop for it. For some reason I think "okay, so I know the bullet drop is pretty significant, so maybe aim a little above" and I end up overshooting it, or I shoot right at the enemy and all it possibly does is suppress or I was found too quickly and, thus, die.
- Tactical Light or Extended Mag? I find Extended Mag has saved my life many times, but with Suppression and Tactical Light mixed together, it makes the opponent completely fucked if they don't aim just right at me.

Aside from that... *shrugs*. I hope to get some more time into this game soon. Especially since I punted MW3 out the door (rented).

aamto

none of the semi-auto shotguns (Dao-12, SAIGA) are that powerful with frag rounds (unless you're playing a clusterfuck like 64 player Metro). the damage is actually worse than buckshot and you will most likely lose if they can engage you after the first shot (and you're not at point blank). the slow rate of fire of the semi-autos really hurts you here.

the USAS, however, is a full auto shotgun and fires as fast as you press the trigger. it's much easier to blanket an entire area with frag rounds that way and it is...extremely powerful. there's a reason why many level 43+ players use the USAS+frag rounds.

This post may be loosely sketchy/against the rules, sorry if so? If anyone wants to buy the game let me know. I will be getting a free legal download code or something in with my SSD, and I have no desire to so much as test drive the game - I hate war games. Just shoot me a private message. I do not want to ebay a code...losing 15% for using ebay always blows.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
the USAS, however, is a full auto shotgun and fires as fast as you press the trigger. it's much easier to blanket an entire area with frag rounds that way and it is...extremely powerful. there's a reason why many level 43+ players use the USAS+frag rounds.
I'm guessing you use the semi-auto function with USAS-12 + Frag?

aamto

I'm guessing you use the semi-auto function with USAS-12 + Frag?
USAS is full auto, not semi. i've used it but only when i've picked up a kit with it; i am not rank 43 and thus have not unlocked it myself. i can only attest to what people say about it, as i've had not the greatest opportunity to use it.

i have used the SAIGA with frag rounds, though. it's kinda cool and definitely nifty to kill 2 or 3 clustered dudes, but the slow rate of fire means you need to get the jump on them and hope they don't notice. the time to kill is really poor if you're not up in their face.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I only asked because USAS-12 does have a semi-auto option, and when you mentioned that it fires faster as you press the trigger. I must have read it wrong.

So I just noticed the major patch for the SCAR-H and the IRNV, and looks like the latter is more inconsistent than a politician on an unknown belief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Picz26O0UVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MGlZLHonrY&feature=player_embedded

I liked IRNV mostly for spotting more than using it as a crutch for aiming (I'm okay enough with ACOG and using the Holo / Reflex / Red Dot is fine with me, and I will confess that it did make it a little easier to shoot people at a distance), I just found it really odd that they addressed this change first before that Tactical Light.

I don't like how badly they messed up the IRNV scope. Call me a noob but it definitely has its place. I'm down with the thing where it fuzzes up when you first aim down the sight, but it's far too hard to see people with it anymore. Like Colonel_M said, the Tac Light is a much bigger problem which they didn't fix unfortunately. SCAR-H nerf is a good thing though, that gun was ridiculous before it.

One thing I am definitely not down with is the nerf to the air lock-on missiles. Before the patch it was still hard to take down jets and helos because it took so long to reload the missile and if you didn't get a quick lock on they'd just get more flares. Plus, flares are unlimited where as you only get 5 missiles with the Explosives specialization. Now you should just forget trying to shoot stuff down unless you have 4 engineers cooperating and coordinating their attacks. Bear in mind, on console this means a third of your team will be occupied with taking down air support. The attack heli was pretty strong before, and now it's an absolute monster. Rockets + secondary gunner destroys on open maps.

Still waiting on the UMP and PP2000 buff though :(

I loved using the IR-Foregrip-Silencer combination which now seemingly everyone uses. Though I use it in tight areas like grand bazaars Rush were your partners run straight through the alley and get shot. Also just the other nignt I racked 3000+ points with only 2 kills. Medic does work,(though I really died alot reviving others I was always revived stopping me form getting a death). Also how many darn bullets do jets take to disable. I am in 5 minute dog fights and No matter how many hit markers I get they won't disable. Guess thats just me.

Also does anyone else do hardcore mode? Its all i did in bfbc2 and have yet to start in bf3. Planning on starting after I get lv65(45 with 20 extra levels).

EDIT: Just DL'd the patch. Damn what a nerf to infared, and yay all co-op weapons. Finally gots ma m93Burst. Also Kh2002 seems to be the best co-op weapon in terms of usability. I've been using it since day1 and It never failed me yet.

Back to Karkanland is out TODAY for ps3 owners. Cant wait till I dive in to the multiplayer when I get home. Anyone else playing in the expansion yet?

Back To Karkand has been great for me so far. The maps look great, and I especially like playing on Sharqi Peninsula. The new game type Conquest Assault is pretty cool too, it puts a great spin on regular Conquest. The maps also feel better suited to Conquest imo than the other default maps. Conquest Assault on Sharqi Peninsula is quickly turning into one of my favourite game types.

In terms of weapons, I'm not a huge fan of the assignments system but I can deal with it. I unlocked the FAMAS a while ago and I really like it so far. It has the same fire rate as the AEK (900 rpm, fastest for AR) and has a bit of recoil. But it has a lot less horizontal sway than the AEK which means burst firing at long ranges should get you the kill pretty quickly. I haven't unlocked any other guns yet though.

Also the F-35 is pretty damn cool. The short take off thing is pretty nifty and the vertical landing means that if you're an engineer you could actually feasibly repair your jet if you find a nice flat spot to land your jet in.

All in all it's been good so far :)

Just a question, how's the sniping in this game? I own CoD3 and Black Ops, and I really dont like how there's 4 maps or so total that you can reasonably snipe in without handicapping yourself.

tldr; Sniping, viable?

I need help. Where do I Dload it.? I got my limited addition and everything but theres no prompt to dload it. Help?

Also just found out there'll be a 2gb patch.

-Infared will be more viable close range

-FRAG rounds are getting nerfed sadly

-Jets and heli missiles reload faster

-A bunch of other stuff im too lazy to copia pasta

But can anyone help. Im looking at my server screens with players already playing B2K

Just a question, how's the sniping in this game? I own CoD3 and Black Ops, and I really dont like how there's 4 maps or so total that you can reasonably snipe in without handicapping yourself.

tldr; Sniping, viable?
Sniping is definitely viable but if you sit in the back of the map and snipe you're not really helping the team plant the bombs. Unless you happen to be a sniping god who can confidently take out anyone who approaches the objective with headshots and bullet drop factored in. Of course you could still pick up the semi auto ones and put on a lower power scope and play it like a slow firing assault rifle.

Soul survivor, look in the store option in the main menu. You should be given the ability to download it from there for free

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)