Battle Tower Info/Project

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Battle Tower/Frontier has gathered enough of a niche to the point that I think we should consider adding sections/articles to cover the competitive aspects of the Battle Tower/Frontier, such as general strategies, what not to use, etc. There are many good tips found in the old threads and they can be compiled. Furthermore, I don't see why Smogon cannot host the Pokemon seen in the Battle Tower, and allow us to sort it much like you can currently sort the Pokemon through the Pokedex - it would help people planning teams.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe at one time there was a Battle Tower article for Smogon HTMLized, as I have it saved on my computer. It's too out of date to be useful now, but I'll try and find the file and who wrote it to see if they're interested in helping out again.

I'd like this a lot, as my BT teams tend to vary a lot until I get what I want..... some help with what to do and what not to do would be great.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I actually like this idea a lot. It's close enough to competitive Pokemon to be relevant, but it's still unique compared to what we have now, and could be really helpful in attracting new users.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I believe at one time there was a Battle Tower article for Smogon HTMLized, as I have it saved on my computer. It's too out of date to be useful now, but I'll try and find the file and who wrote it to see if they're interested in helping out again.
I was the one who wrote that way back in that day - it is definitely out of date now but it could serve as a good starting point.

I also have a research project I'd like to actually spearhead concerning the Battle Frontier rather than just talking about it, but more on that a little later.

I think this is a great idea. Many people only play Pokemon in game, so it sounds optimal to have a reliable resource they can come to for assistance. I'm interested in helping research data for this.

although im not great at researching data (and i think we currently have a huge load of what we need thanks to the efforts of jump, tre, peterko, diana, and other bt researchers), i would be glad to go through the old threads and lists to find good general strategies / pokemon for the battle tower and battle hall.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
no problem with helping here as the frontier stuff is currently the only thing I sort of contribute to smogon (if you could call it that way)

I´d like to know what kind of article you want this to be and what information it is supposed to contain

for DP tower we have:

1. the trainer list with the pokémon (sets) they use, I mentioned this first as I´d prefer a main trainer list > click > list of pokémon the trainer uses

- trainer list sort options:
a) by "set of 7" or round, example:. round 6 (battles #36-42), round 7 (battles #42-49), round 8 (battle #50 and upwards)
b) by trainer type (Ace Trainer, PKMN Breeder, Hiker, etc.)
c) by trainer name
d) by trainer specialization (set 4, legendaries, fire & fighting types, etc.)
e) Pokémon IVs

the table:
trainer type - trainer name - trainer specialization - round (battles) - pokémon IVs

2. clicking a trainer would link to his description (smiliar to the smogondexes) which would list the pokémon he uses

3. a stand-alone moveset list for the sole purpose of having all of the movesets in one list: pokémon/set/item/EV spread ... the question here is how to deal with the fact that natures are random so we can´t just list the actual stats (it would be possible to list min-neutral-max stats) and also how to deal with the IVs that change from round to round (3-6-9-12-15-21-31)...suggestions? to list actual lv. 50 stats is very convenient for both theorymon and damage calcs
- forgot abilities (also random)

4. if you want some kind of "tips" section ... well I am more a fan of theorymon>try>win/fail and the records topic basically fulfills that role and I don´t want it to become obsolete (you either copy a succesful team or the strategy if you´re really lost) ... of course you can let jump create some "walls of text" just for fun ;)

Platinum
- abilities are random
- natures on the other hand don´t seem to be (which enables us to list accurate stats)
- tower, arcade & palace have the same trainers/pokémon which could be listed the same way as DP tower
- factory has the same pokémon sets but not sure about the trainer-pokémon set relation (don´t have the game yet)
- battle hall has its own ONE moveset for each pokémon - there could be at least a "sort by rank" option

of course we also do have the emerald frontier list if anyone´s interested in that

...those are my suggestions for now

EIDT: yeah I was referring more to the "what info to list" part of tangerine´s post, not the tips/tricks/strategies part

I love this idea, I always had trouble making BT teams(even more trouble than Competitive teams since it's max limit of 3 Pokes) and guides and even movesets for particularly well performing Pokemon would be very fine.

I was never an Emerald or RS owner(I just went RBY, GSC, Frlg, DPP) but have read much about it and the Battle Frontier and played the ROM of it. You cant imagine the happiness that there would be a Battle Frontier in Platinum...my favourite new addition is the Battle Hall but I'm not very good at it...

A guide would be wonderful for those people who onlyplay in-game which is...quite a lot of people. It would attract many more visitors.

I doubt I could contribute anything being so unknowledgeable in the BF and being a 'newbie' like competitive player. It'd be much appreciated to see this done...I'm going to search for old posts.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm in full support of this as I enjoy the Battle Tower / Frontier.

However, if this is done in the very near future I may not be able to contribute much as I don't have Platinum yet - and won't until May 22nd. I'd like to help at some point if needed, though, and can somewhat with the Diamond / Pearl Battle Tower.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The Battle Tower pokemon list is also a part of the Smogon Damage Calculator that I have been working on. I don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about the Damage Calculator -- but it's worth mentioning the BT features here.

I added the BT pokes to the calculator, because I was a total Battle Tower fanatic when DP came out, and I posted actively in the BT threads in Stark. I always wanted a quick "one click" way to compute damage against the standard BT pokemon, so when I made the calculator, it was my own little personal "pet feature". If Smogon is going to add more information resources for the Tower/Frontier -- I'm all for it!

I;m in full support for a Battle Tower Section. All I do on Pokemon Pearl is Battle Tower.

I know that somewhere on my hard drive, I have a list of every Pokemon used so far in there; there's about 700 or so different move sets of pokemon.

Hey, is anyone going to be working on this? Just asking out of curiosity. Also bumping this past those pesky closed topics because BT is too cool for the 2nd page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)