Battle Mechanics Research

How does Freeze Dry react to types such as Water/Flying, where the base type would be neutral, but the SE ability comes into play? Would it be 2x, or 4x? Meaning if the super effective ability on water types comes into play, does it even take into effect the fact that it is an ice move?

This goes for other moves that follow the same rules as Freeze Dry. Any that we don't know of.

Mega Abomasnow and the weather-changing abilities are very curious.

Take this scenario, for example:

Turn 1, one player leads with Charizard, the other, Abomasnow. Snow Warning sets up hail.
Turn 2, Mega Evolution. Presumably has the same priority with the faster Pokemon [presumably Charizard] mega evolving first, into Mega Charizard Y. Drought is set up. Abomasnow Mega Evolves on this turn also, after Charizard due to being slower. Is Snow Warning re-applied due to the transformation, or is it ignored due to Abomasnow's ability not having changed?

What happens when you Knock Off / Trick / Switcheroo a mega stone, before and after Mega-evolving?
  • Player 1 has a Gengar with Trick. Player 2 has a Gengar holding a Mega Stone. If P1 Tricks, can P1's Gengar Mega-Evolve using P2's Mega Stone?

Does Embargo (or related moves and abilities) prevent Mega-evolution?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Very curious about Flying Press.

What is its STAB?
If the user is Mono-Fighting or Mono-Flying, what is its STAB?
How does this interact with Ghost-types?
What are the SE / NVE multiplication factors?
How do items like Expert Belt and the elemental plates work with it?
How do Gems work with it?

Very curious about Flying Press.

What is its STAB?
If the user is Mono-Fighting or Mono-Flying, what is its STAB?
How does this interact with Ghost-types?
What are the SE / NVE multiplication factors?
How do items like Expert Belt and the elemental plates work with it?
How do Gems work with it?
Kanpachi used Flying Press against a Nosepass and it did neutral damage, in case a baseline was needed.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Camouflage: what happens if hit by a Dual-type move? Does it take both types or one of them (and which) or does it not activate at all.
Camouflage changes your Pokemon into a type based on the current location of battle. I think what you're after is Conversion 2, since no single type resists Fighting AND Flying (only Electric/Flying or Electric/Ghost do that).

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
You might want to add Pursuit to the moves to test against Ghost-types. Needless to say, it would be a big deal if Ghosts couldn't be Pursuited on the switch out. (Has this been confirmed/refuted?)

How about a section for the new Abilities to be tested? It would be great to know the multipliers associated with Dark Aura, Fairy Aura, Aura Break, Mega Launcher, Strong Jaw, and Tough Claws, as well as specifically which moves are boosted by which abilities.

I saw this in the leak thread, yoinking it because I think it's pretty important:

Been lurking here for the past week, hungry for leaks.. Just wanted to throw you guys a pointed question.

If Aegislash uses King's Shield, would a Pokemon using Feint be able to get past it? (This is assuming that said Pokemon has already used Foresight or something to that effect.) Would the same likely be true for Spiky Shield or the other new Protects? Just wondering in case I ever come up against an Aegislash in game and don't have a hard counter to it.

ooh, I'm a Darmanitan.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Camouflage changes your Pokemon into a type based on the current location of battle. I think what you're after is Conversion 2, since no single type resists Fighting AND Flying (only Electric/Flying or Electric/Ghost do that).
LOL oops. Actually I was thinking of Color Change xD editing my post then. And yea Conversion would be something to look into as well!

Sylveon evolves via maxing out affection, right? How is this different from the affection-based evo conditions for Espeon and Umbreon? I wouldn't want to end up getting one or the other by accident.

How does the "turn your 3DS upside down" evolution work? Would this work on Voltorb and Electrode?

Does Embargo (or related moves and abilities) prevent Mega-evolution?
This, a thousand times.

Sylveon evolves via maxing out affection, right? How is this different from the affection-based evo conditions for Espeon and Umbreon? I wouldn't want to end up getting one or the other by accident.
Those are called "happiness," not "affection." Similar but different concept.

There's been talk of an item to change a pokémon's ability. Where is this found and how does it work?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I saw this in the leak thread, yoinking it because I think it's pretty important:
I have no idea how Aegislash's abilities are supposed to work, and can't go digging around in the leaks thread for clues. Could you link me to more posts on King's Shield?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Will Magic Bounce "reflect" the stat drop from Parting Shot or will Magic Bounce users still have their stats lowered?

Thoroughly test all hazards - is their damage still the same?

Is experience still curved - i.e. will all Pokemon give a constant EXP value like in older games or is it based on your level in relation to the opponent's?

What new abilities will Mold Breaker negate? Will any old abilities have their Mold Breaker interaction changed?

Will Air Balloon now remain intact if the user is behind a Substitute?

Will Taunt still bypass a Substitute?

Where can we find Spritzee? I need a Spritzee :(

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Everyone needs to note that this thread is only for battle mechanics, not gameplay mechanics.

Parental Bond. Bulbapedia describes this as an ability that "allows the Pokémon to attack twice each turn".

Does this mean that you can perform two different attacks?
What are the implications on multi-hit moves such as Comet Punch and Double Hit?
Is the second attack weaker than the first, or is BP maintained in the second attack?
If you can only perform the same attack twice, does it apply to status moves like Leer or Tail Whip?
If you can perform two different attacks and the first one is a status move and the second an attacking move, do any boosts apply before the second move is made? For example, Leer + Outrage.

Hey, so I'm not sure if this was brought up, but a huge concern of mine is hidden power.

Hidden power is calculated based off of IVs and for every permutation of IVs in gen5, there is a type that it corresponds to. Is there any knowledge (and if none, I propose this to be researched) on how the hidden power is determined in gen6, when including fairy type? I have a few hypothesis:
1) Hidden power formula will be edited to include fairy type, and when we transfer our flawless pokemon with hidden powers, they will have a different hidden power (potentially making them obsolete)
2) a new cap of 63 IVs may be used (31 in binary is 11111, it's possible they'll keep the IVs that are 31 and below and only adjust hidden power for a new set of IVs based on a 6 bit system), but i feel like this is unlikely
3) fairy type will be super 'exclusive' so pokemon won't be able to learn hidden power fairy, and the hidden power system will be kept the way it is

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Will Magic Bounce "reflect" the stat drop from Parting Shot or will Magic Bounce users still have their stats lowered?

What new abilities will Mold Breaker negate? Will any old abilities have their Mold Breaker interaction changed?
1. Magic Bounce + Parting Shot interaction is a good one.
2. We don't need separate questions for Mold Breaker -- if the ability reduces damage or negates a side effect of the user's move, Mold Breaker will prevent it from working. Very likely even Telepathy.

Hey, so I'm not sure if this was brought up, but a huge concern of mine is hidden power.

Hidden power is calculated based off of IVs and for every permutation of IVs in gen5, there is a type that it corresponds to. Is there any knowledge (and if none, I propose this to be researched) on how the hidden power is determined in gen6, when including fairy type? I have a few hypothesis:
1) Hidden power formula will be edited to include fairy type, and when we transfer our flawless pokemon with hidden powers, they will have a different hidden power (potentially making them obsolete)
2) a new cap of 63 IVs may be used (31 in binary is 11111, it's possible they'll keep the IVs that are 31 and below and only adjust hidden power for a new set of IVs based on a 6 bit system), but i feel like this is unlikely
3) fairy type will be super 'exclusive' so pokemon won't be able to learn hidden power fairy, and the hidden power system will be kept the way it is
First post already has a list of likely new Hidden Power IV permutations if #1 is true.

Parental Bond. Bulbapedia describes this as an ability that "allows the Pokémon to attack twice each turn".

Does this mean that you can perform two different attacks?
What are the implications on multi-hit moves such as Comet Punch and Double Hit?
Is the second attack weaker than the first, or is BP maintained in the second attack?
If you can only perform the same attack twice, does it apply to status moves like Leer or Tail Whip?
If you can perform two different attacks and the first one is a status move and the second an attacking move, do any boosts apply before the second move is made? For example, Leer + Outrage.
Right now, we have so little info on Parental Bond that we probably could boil it down to "how does Parental Bond work?" I'll add one once we get some specifics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)