battery replacement via soldering - Is my Emerald ruined?

Years ago, before I learned how to replace an R/S/E battery without a soldering iron, I tried to replace my Emerald battery via soldering. The plastic ring around the old battery, which I was instructed to remove with tweezers and put back on the new battery, was damaged, so I "created" a new one with electrical tape. My dad assisted me since I had never soldered before, and while the instructions I was following didn't use it, he suggested we use soldering paste, and so we did. The result was a game that is completely unrecognizable by my GBA. Here is a picture:

Does it look like my game is ruined, or can it be "cleaned up" by a solder vacuum or by some other means, and a new battery put in without soldering?

I'm posting this as a thread instead of in the SQSA since I feel it may be a bit too complicated for SQSA, and I'd like to get multiple opinions on it if possible.

Thanks!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That large shiny blob in the center, is that solder? If so I'm pretty sure you're screwed, the area around looks discolored/burned, and you may have burned some traces in the process.

That large shiny blob in the center, is that solder? If so I'm pretty sure you're screwed, the area around looks discolored/burned, and you may have burned some traces in the process.
The shiny blob is the base of the clip that holds the battery in place. The area around it is discolored, but I'm not sure whether it's burned or if it's just soldering paste.

EDIT: For reference/comparison, here is a picture I took before I replaced the battery.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)