Baton Pass - its role in the metagame and possible solutions to nerf full Baton Pass chains

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomPlayer

Banned deucer.
Baton Pass requires skill to execute. Anyone disputing this point is a retard. If you remove it's greatest selling point (magic bounce Espeon+Defense Boosting Speed Boost Scoli) , you are not "simulating" the actual game anymore wherein all of this is legal in wifi battles vs other players and official tours!. Just because your teams can't handle a playstyle does not mean you remove it altogether . So much autism

Baton Pass requires skill to execute. Anyone disputing this point is a retard. If you remove it's greatest selling point (magic bounce Espeon+Defense Boosting Speed Boost Scoli) , you are not "simulating" the actual game anymore wherein all of this is legal in wifi battles vs other players and official tours!. Just because your teams can't handle a playstyle does not mean you remove it altogether . So much autism
When you have people climbing the ladder by consistently dispatching of and 6-0ing the best OU players for months then it's hard to argue your point

No one is arguing it takes no skill, the main point is that it takes very little skill when compared to anything else. Anyone disputing this point is...well I won't stoop so low as name calling. If simulating the actual game was the aim of showdown, you would be completely justified with your latter position. The problem is that you would also have to say that all of the other restrictions in place such as sleep clause, evasion clause, and of course the tiers in place are also unneeded because they don't simulate wifi battles. If you have actually ever taken the time to play wifi battles you would quickly see this is a terrible idea. Mega Kanga, Blazieken and Gengar come out to play with nothing to really check them but one another, not to mention I have played games where my entire team was put to sleep or I was pp stalled to death by minimize Chansey or some other evasion moveset.

tl;dr you are wrong, try again.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
I don't think it's that unreasonable to slap Haze on something like Gengar or Greninja and throw it out whenever they've accumulated too many defensive boosts. It is not that hard to cripple their team with Knock Off, status and hazards while they try to pull this off, then finish the job when they try to start over. The argument that Haze is "useless outside of countering BP chains" is not relevant- anything that is good at stopping a popular strategy in OU is by definition a useful coverage move.

Bulky Reuniclus is also pretty good at overwhelming BP chains- if they try to Acid Armor/Iron Defense in your face you can blow them apart with Shadow Ball, if they try to Calm Mind up they're going to get demolished by Psyshock. It helps that it can avoid getting 2HKOd by 260 BP Secret Power in a Calm Mind war. Keep hitting them whenever they Sub so they never get a chance to Roar you without taking a ton of damage (if you knock something out it's practically a guaranteed sweep at that point). The main way BP teams will try to get around this is with Encore from Mr Mime, but of course that forces Mime to stay in and risks switching into an incredibly damaging Shadow Ball. As I've said multiple times there are no foolproof counters to BP, but this can be a pretty annoying thorn for them to deal with.

When you have people climbing the ladder by consistently dispatching of and 6-0ing the best OU players for months then it's hard to argue your point
Who are these "people"? Where are these matches where they're getting "dispatched"? Are you seriously implying that the top OU players really that incompetent that they can't figure their way around a standard OU team? You can't just make wild claims like this without some hard evidence.

Who are these "people"? Where are these matches where they're getting "dispatched"? Are you seriously implying that the top OU players really that incompetent that they can't figure their way around a standard OU team? You can't just make wild claims like this without some hard evidence.
How about the #1 player on the OU ladder?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110739069
Mind you, that's WITH Haze Quagsire.

Btw, no one is saying Haze is irrelevant. . . ALWAYS. But it takes up a moveslot for something you may not even run into. It takes up a move slot on Gengar. The fact that you are running that on something that would other wise be a sweeper is reason in and of itself to be at least looked at and analyzed to see what should happen.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
How about the #1 player on the OU ladder?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110739069
Mind you, that's WITH Haze Quagsire.

Btw, no one is saying Haze is irrelevant. . . ALWAYS. But it takes up a moveslot for something you may not even run into. It takes up a move slot on Gengar. The fact that you are running that on something that would other wise be a sweeper is reason in and of itself to be at least looked at and analyzed to see what should happen.
Okay, let's take a closer look at this battle before we just say "BP OP". Dauude actually has two very effective responses to Baton Pass on his team- Clear Smog on Amoonguss and Haze on Quagsire. And if you look at the replay, it's clear these checks work pretty damn well- up until turn 36 he pretty much is controlling the entire match. By that point the only "progress" the BP team has made is putting Skarmory to sleep (which Dauude wanted in the first place), while half of the BP team is crippled and Vaporeon has a crucial burn. If this cycle went on for 20+ more turns it's almost certain that one of the BP mons would get knocked out and Charizard could proceed to sweep. So what went wrong?

The key turn is 36, where he sends in Charizard against Scolipede- this was a clear mistake. Allowing BP teams to ever gather up those speed boosts is incredibly dangerous, and unless you are packing a ton of offensive pressure (Dauude's team most definitely is not) it's practically a requirement to either stave it off with Taunt pressure, bulky setup sweepers, or hyperoffense from fast priority attackers like Talonflame. He needed to send in Quagsire the moment Scolipede came out- it could force out more subs while Hazing off any speed boosts it managed to gather.

My main point here is that the effectiveness of Quagsire as an excellent check isn't at fault, it's that it was misused towards the end of the match. If anything, those first 35 turns demonstrate that proper Haze pressure is incredibly effective at preventing BP teams from getting anything accomplished.

For Quagsire:
Haze's max PP: 48
Recover's max PP: 16
Scald's max PP: 24

For the BP Team (not a complete list!)
Baton Pass's max PP: 64 (x 4-6)
Substitute's max PP: 16 (x4-6)
Iron Defense's max PP: 24
Protect's max PP: 16
Calm Mind's max pp: 32 (x1 or x2)
Stored Power's max pp: 32 (x1 or x2)

The funny thing is, even with a lucky crit via Scald, Haze Quagsire can still get outstalled by a BP team. Quagsire doesn't stop a BP team, he just resets them. All the BP user has to do is grab an Ingrain and wear Quagsire down and exhaust his Recovers. The problem is that Haze Quagsire needs to fight THE WHOLE TEAM, not just one pokemon, and he's waaaay too weak to do that.

For Quagsire:
Haze's max PP: 48
Recover's max PP: 16
Scald's max PP: 24

For the BP Team (not a complete list!)
Baton Pass's max PP: 64 (x 4-6)
Substitute's max PP: 16 (x4-6)
Iron Defense's max PP: 24
Protect's max PP: 16
Calm Mind's max pp: 32 (x1 or x2)
Stored Power's max pp: 32 (x1 or x2)

The funny thing is, even with a lucky crit via Scald, Haze Quagsire can still get outstalled by a BP team. Quagsire doesn't stop a BP team, he just resets them. All the BP user has to do is grab an Ingrain and wear Quagsire down and exhaust his Recovers. The problem is that Haze Quagsire needs to fight THE WHOLE TEAM, not just one pokemon, and he's waaaay too weak to do that.
Well, maybe you could, you know, switch to one of your other pokemon?

You have just removed their boosts and probably forced them into a switch. Now you switch into something else and start attacking again.

Guys, you are not going to find a single pokemon who beats BP on 1x6. That's insane. Of course you need teamates.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
No one's done this for a while, so here I go.

Is Baton Pass a problem for the development of the metagame?

I believe so, due to the fact that it takes very little skill to win with, and that there is no true counter to BP teams.

This is pretty much just a summary of what the community has discussed in this thread.

If so, what elements, in particular, do you think are pushing Baton Pass over the edge?

Espeon and Scolipede. Magic Bounce blocks Taunt, Encore, Destiny Bond, Haze, Roar, Whirlwind, etc. The only move it doesn't block that negates your stats is Clear Smog, which doesn't go through Substitutes. Even if you attack Espeon with a super effective move, it generally has a couple of Defense boosts from Scolipede, or Special Defense boosts from Sylveon. Failing that, it can just Baton Pass to a different Pokemon.

As for Scolipede, Speed Boost + Iron Defense is what makes it broken. Speed Boost is an incredible ability on any Pokemon, but on one that can boost either its defenses or offenses (with Swords Dance) and then pass these stats to another Pokemon, that's just pushing it too far. I mean, Ninjask can Speed Boost + Swords Dance, but the Attack boost can be beaten with priority. The Defence boost can't.

Overall, I think these two Pokemon are what's pushing Baton Pass over the edge, or more precisely, Magic Bounce and Speed Boost + Iron Defense are.

Do you believe that banning individual Pokémon (such as Espeon/Scolipede) would make Baton Pass manageable?

Technically, yes, I believe that banning some individual Pokemon (particularly Espeon and Scolipede) could make Baton Pass managable, but I think there's a better solution than that, which will be explained in the last question.

Would you support a blanket ban on the move Baton Pass?

No, because the way I see it, Baton Pass by itself is not broken, but Baton Pass + the two particular Pokemon I'm thinking of (no prizes for guessing who), is. Also, unlike Swagger (which needed Prankster), it is possible to use Baton Pass competitively in a way that's not broken, i.e Ninjask passing to to a teammate who cannot boost stats on his or her own (which, in case you're wondering, can be defeated by priority). For these reasons, I personally don't think a blanket ban on the move Baton Pass is a particularly good idea.

Would you support the introduction of complex bans (like Pokémon X+Pokémon Y on the same team)?

There are times for simple bans (for example banning a Mega Stone), and there are times for complex bans. I believe that this is a time for a complex ban. I think the way to go would be Ban Scolipede + Espeon on the same team. Espeon is managable without the defense boost it receives from Scolipede, and Scolipede's Speed and Defense boosts can be Taunted / Phazed without Magic Bounce blocking them. Together they are broken, but apart I think they can be managed by the standard OU player. Overall, putting in effect this ban would solve the problem of Baton Pass, whilst still allowing players to use it in battles, in a non

I'd love to hear your comments / feedback, so please do let me know what you think. Hopefully this post can help get us back on topic.

This needs to be said. The idea of "nerfing" baton pass does not imply that BP needs to be eliminated as a viable strategy. Much of the sentiment in a few of the later posts seems to be implying that an intervention is flawed because "BP would still be viable". That's exactly the point. BP needs to be viable because it is a legitimate strategy. Just because BP chains may be considered OP doesn't mean the strategy has to suffer completely. Limiting the number of BP users on a team is not a flawed concept just because BP can still be used.

Well, maybe you could, you know, switch to one of your other pokemon?
You have just removed their boosts and probably forced them into a switch. Now you switch into something else and start attacking again.
Guys, you are not going to find a single pokemon who beats BP on 1x6. That's insane. Of course you need teamates.
Maybe it's just me...but these posts are smack with sarcasm... no one said that BP requires no skill... just very little skill and KNOWLEDGE of the game itself outside of the team...

Also, VGC, or Wifi Battling as you referred to it, is normally a Double Battles environment. So trying to compare the two is not valid as its the equivalent of comparing apples to oranges...

Nin-Char: No one said that one pokemon can beat BP "1 vs. 6" However, the point that you seem to be missing is that Dauude had TWO checks in Amoongus and Quagsire and still lost...

By the way... many people mentioned earlier that punching BP in the face early was the way to go... however, Dauude teams was far from HO and because of this on that fateful turn 36... that's when sh!t snowballed over...

I don't know about you, but how many teams do you know can take a game that they were effectively "losing 10-9 through the first 8 rounds" (if we were using the boxing scorecard method) then all of a sudden go "10-7 the next 4 rounds, to go +4 and win unamiously?"

Even that doesn't inherently show that BP is unhealthy for the environment then I don't know what does???

Pokemon Battling is supposed to be a series of 1-on-1 battles with strategic switches, hazard control and displaying a level of intricate synergy between your teammates, whose parts form an amazing sum.

BP doesn't do this because its more like 1-on-6; where the goal is to acumulate stats, which are trivial as the Generations have passed (MB Espeon, Speed Boost Scolipede, Fairy-Typing, etc), in order to sweep with 500+ Base Power Stored Powers from an unphazable mon in Espeon or her new baby sister, Sylveon.

So unless I'm running Haze Quagsire or Clear Smog Amoongus like Dauude did, should I just pass on battling BP knowing that I'm screwed AND I'm not going to gain anything of learning value from this battle because the team was not equipped well enough to handle it in the first place???

Seriously ppl, ask yourself these questions before getting on your soapbox and trying to defend something that the majority of the community agrees is cancerous and therefore, needs to have something done to it.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the benefit of people that didn't read the last few pages (not blaming you guys), I think the biggest argument for banning is not because BP chains are unbeatable. In fact, there are certainly ways to counter BP chains pretty decently; the anti-ban side has demonstrated this fairly clearly. Taunt random mon, Mold Breaker phazing or Taunt, Unaware Haze Quagsire are all decent ways that have a good shot at surprising and beating BP chains. However, what is broken about BP chains is that there is absolutely zero way to beat them outside of these relatively obscure Pokemon.

I'll just give an analogy to help explain my point. Let's say I have a Greninja on my team and I have the first three moves as Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and U-turn. The last move could be Dark Pulse or Extrasensory, which would allow me to hit different targets. Dark Pulse helps me to beat Pokemon like Aegislash, while Extrasensory allows me to beat Keldeo and Venusaur. This is fine because if I choose Dark Pulse, I can make use of other Pokemon on my team to help beat Keldeo and Venusaur and I don't lose anything. Similarly, if I pick Extrasensory, I can chuck on a Heatran or a Mandibuzz to help me with Aegislash problems. I don't lose anything from this and I have the liberty to pick whichever move I want because I can be confident of having teammates to beat the threats I miss out on. Fair point?

Let's move this to something else, for example, Mega Gyarados. I can spare moveslots for Dragon Dance, Waterfall, and Earthquake. Now obviously I'm walled by Latios and Dragonite, so I'd love Ice Fang on that slot. Similarly, Taunt would be a useful move to beat stall teams and BP chains. Here's where it gets different.

Scenario 1: I choose to use Taunt.

Now obviously this isn't a bad move as I can now set up on bulky walls and beat Baton Pass chains with that sexy Mold Breaker. My Latios and Dragonite weaknesses can be covered up with teammates that force them both out. Before I pick this though, let me consider my other option: Ice Fang.

Scenario 2: I choose to use Ice Fang.

Now I get to defeat Dragonite and Latios after a boost, which is absolutely fantastic. Of course, I gain an extra weakness to stall and to BP chains, but it's alright, I have 5 other Pokemon. I throw on a stallbreaker to break stall teams, but hang on, I still need to cover Baton Pass chains. What else beats BP chains? Haze Quagsire, but that sounds kinda dumb beside Mega Gyarados. Surprise Taunt users? But then Espeon beats those easily unless I stack Dark-typing on my team. Maybe I can surprise them once, but that just buys me a bit of time to try and hit them hard before they can set up all over again and defeat me with Espeon...

Nah, running Ice Fang means my team has a really low chance to beat BP chains at all.

Ordinarily I would've had the options of running both Taunt and the equally viable Ice Fang. But right now if I really want to be prepared for BP teams, I need Taunt. Otherwise, I lose because my team cannot beat BP chains for my Gyarados.

The above Mega Gyarados example is just one example but the same logic applies to every one of those "counters" mentioned. Unaware Quagsire is forced to fit Haze onto its moveset to avoid losing 100% of the time at the expense of another equally viable option. Taunt *insert mon here* is forced to run that move every time to avoid losing.

It's this restriction that's the main reason why BP is broken imo, not just because of the lack of counters.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I think the toss up between limiting baton pass to either 3 or 4 to a team really depends on how much people wish baton pass chains should be nerfed. A minimum of 3 baton pass users can get the pivotal chain, 4 and 5 will give extra breathing room, and 6 is what we have nowadays. In total, there are really just a few pokemon used in baton pass chains: Scolipede, Espeon, Sylveon, Smeargle, Vaporeon, Zapdos, and Mr.Mime. (in approximate order of usefulness). The first three are the pokemon pretty much guaranteed to be on a team as they form the backbone of it.

-Scolipede's role is simple, set up defense and speed (and maybe a sub), then pass it on. The speed boost is important since it allows future baton passes to practically always outspeed attacks and underspeed switches.

-Espeon is the glue that holds the team together. Magic bounce blocks status/taunt/phazing and Espeon also carries the powerful STAB stored power that's used to clean up teams. Espeon can also set up calm minds.

The two above I would put in the first tier of baton pass chains as without them, baton pass chains do not have the power that they have now.

-Sylveon has great typing, with weakness to only two of the lesser seen types, good bulk (bolstered by defense passes), ability to set up calm minds, and hit very hard with hyper voice.

Sylveon is the only pokemon I'd put in the second tier since it's very useful, but doesn't "have" to be there.

-Semargle allows baton pass chains a second wind really, with focus sash, spore/dark void, encore, and stat passing. Smeargle is what allows baton pass to have an emergency response to pokemon.

-Vaporeon is a pokemon similar to Sylveon; it has good bulk, and it can act as a way to set up defense when something scares Scolipede away. Furthermore, Vaporeon has the ability to either roar or scald.

-Zapdos can heal itself with roost, and it helps block flying physical attackers like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Not really much to say.

-Mr. Mime I feel is the most situational of the chain. The typing adds weaknesses, and it doens't have as good defenses as the other pokemon. Its true role lies in being soundproof, ability to boost both defenses, and encore.

And these are the support pokemon that help block the threats of baton pass chains.

The reason why I feel 3-4 is a good number is that during my games playing baton pass, a lot of times I didn't really need to use my other support pokemon, keeping the chain between Scolipede, Espeon, and Sylveon. I'd say to set the cap at 4, then see if that has nerfed baton pass chains sufficiently.
Here's the problem with setting the cap at 4.
A baton pass chain of 4 pokemon is very capable of thoroughly beating the crap out of any and all stall teams. Unless you basically lead with sableye on a stall, which isn't always found on stall, you will automatically lose.
I don't think that's too fair at all! You're limiting an entire playstyle because baton pass still has too many pokemon to work with against defensive teams!
I'd honestly say set the cap at 2, screw baton pass.
For the benefit of people that didn't read the last few pages (not blaming you guys), I think the biggest argument for banning is not because BP chains are unbeatable. In fact, there are certainly ways to counter BP chains pretty decently; the anti-ban side has demonstrated this fairly clearly. Taunt random mon, Mold Breaker phazing or Taunt, Unaware Haze Quagsire are all decent ways that have a good shot at surprising and beating BP chains. However, what is broken about BP chains is that there is absolutely zero way to beat them outside of these relatively obscure Pokemon.

I'll just give an analogy to help explain my point. Let's say I have a Greninja on my team and I have the first three moves as Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and U-turn. The last move could be Dark Pulse or Extrasensory, which would allow me to hit different targets. Dark Pulse helps me to beat Pokemon like Aegislash, while Extrasensory allows me to beat Keldeo and Venusaur. This is fine because if I choose Dark Pulse, I can make use of other Pokemon on my team to help beat Keldeo and Venusaur and I don't lose anything. Similarly, if I pick Extrasensory, I can chuck on a Heatran or a Mandibuzz to help me with Aegislash problems. I don't lose anything from this and I have the liberty to pick whichever move I want because I can be confident of having teammates to beat the threats I miss out on. Fair point?

Let's move this to something else, for example, Mega Gyarados. I can spare moveslots for Dragon Dance, Waterfall, and Earthquake. Now obviously I'm walled by Latios and Dragonite, so I'd love Ice Fang on that slot. Similarly, Taunt would be a useful move to beat stall teams and BP chains. Here's where it gets different.

Now obviously this isn't a bad move as I can now set up on bulky walls and beat Baton Pass chains with that sexy Mold Breaker. My Latios and Dragonite weaknesses can be covered up with teammates that force them both out. Before I pick this though, let me consider my other option: Ice Fang.

Now I get to defeat Dragonite and Latios after a boost, which is absolutely fantastic. Of course, I gain an extra weakness to stall and to BP chains, but it's alright, I have 5 other Pokemon. I throw on a stallbreaker to break stall teams, but hang on, I still need to cover Baton Pass chains. What else beats BP chains? Haze Quagsire, but that sounds kinda dumb beside Mega Gyarados. Surprise Taunt users? But then Espeon beats those easily unless I stack Dark-typing on my team. Maybe I can surprise them once, but that just buys me a bit of time to try and hit them hard before they can set up all over again and defeat me with Espeon...

Nah, running Ice Fang means my team has a really low chance to beat BP chains at all.

Ordinarily I would've had the options of running both Taunt and the equally viable Ice Fang. But right now if I really want to be prepared for BP teams, I need Taunt. Otherwise, I lose because my team cannot beat BP chains for my Gyarados.

The above Mega Gyarados example is just one example but the same logic applies to every one of those "counters" mentioned. Unaware Quagsire is forced to fit Haze onto its moveset to avoid losing 100% of the time at the expense of another equally viable option. Taunt *insert mon here* is forced to run that move every time to avoid losing.

It's this restriction that's the main reason why BP is broken imo, not just because of the lack of counters.
That's a nice scenario and all, and I see your point, but I really hope you don't think haze quagsire is an actual answer to baton pass.
Also, you hit latios with mold breaker eq.

The flaw in your argument is:

- That the argument that you have five other teammates to cover up weaknesses applies in both scenarios. You can't cover everything with four move-slots, that's why you have to choose what you want to beat and what you miss out on. If you pick Taunt ofcourse Dragonite will be more troublesome, but like you're saying: you have five other pokemon to cover it.

- Taunt serves a lot more purposes than beating Baton Pass alone. This one is pretty obvious and you already mentioned Stall so I won't elaborate more about it. Just don't make it look like Baton Pass is "forcing" you to run Taunt and nothing else, because that choice entirely up to you.

- Like said before, full counters to a whole team are ridiculous to ask for. The lack of counters is not an argument to ban Baton Pass: not because there are none, but because asking for a counter to a full playstyle or a team of 6 itself is ridiculous.

That said, there are plenty of checks that will improve your odds against Baton Pass. Taunt Thundurus is anything but obscure. Mega Pinsir is a top tier threat and Baton Pass has to rely on Sash Smeargle with Spore or having Zapdos on their team (which isn't a given) to even have a chance against it really. And in Smeargles case, what stops Mega Pinsir from waking up after a turn or two? Baton Pass teams can't just take it out in one hit without Zapdos or a powerful Stored Power (which they won't have against a Pinsir that sets up from turn 1), and trying to phaze it with Roar gives it two turns to wake up (one as Smeargle passes out, then the turn you use Roar with Vaporeon for example). And then Mega Pinsir is still alive and healthy and is likely to wake up right away next time it comes in, as sleep turns don't reset. There are so many offensive checks to choose from, while defensive teams can make use of Taunt, Roar, Haze, Perish Song, Encore, hazards, Clear Smog amongst others. Magic Bounce Espeon is an issue, but it is to any Stall team. Keep in mind that having Magic Bounce on your team however doesn't make you totally impervious to hazards, Roar, Taunt and so on. I've seen way too many people reply to these moves with "Lol Espeon" without realizing that Espeon has a hard time switching in. Try to block Stealth Rock from a Heatran for example and you risk getting burned by Lava Plume, after which it's over for Espeon as it can't survive the residual damage (especially against Stall). It's that simple sometimes, but Knock Off, Scald, Sludge Bomb Mega Venusaur are all very effective. Espeon can't just stay in and setup against most stall pokemon either. Espeon does not carry recovery, it has nothing but Leftovers to help take hits. Basic calc right here:

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Espeon: 106-126 (31.7 - 37.7%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Uninvested, does 31% minimum. It breaks the Sub. Espeon can CM once possibly, but then it's too weakened and it doesn't accomplish anything. If you pass out Skarmory gets a chance to simply Whirlwind you out. Before people tell me that Espeon has +6 in all stats; that takes a while, and Stall teams will not let you get free turns. Espeon can't freely come in to stop whatever it wants. Also, when you're saying that pokemon X has +6 in every stat, even on a Baton Pass team where it is technically possible (in practice nobody goes all the way to +6 in every stat, that's complete overkill for a Stored Power Sweep) you can argue that every pokemon is broken. I can say that a Mega Charizard X sweeps a team after six Dragon Dances, but what does that say about it's strengths? Not much. I hope this is clear to everyone.

Last edited:
Doesn't it mean that they aren't "the best OU players" anymore because they can't manage to defeat BP?

Magic Bounce Espeon existed since BW. People already whined about it since the start of the season but it never got banned because the metagame stabilized and ways of beating BP were found. BP's only new toy is Scolipede. Let this be for a while.

Doesn't it mean that they aren't "the best OU players" anymore because they can't manage to defeat BP?

Magic Bounce Espeon existed since BW. People already whined about it since the start of the season but it never got banned because the metagame stabilized and ways of beating BP were found. BP's only new toy is Scolipede. Let this be for a while.
Wow, lol. That made my day man, thank you, for not reading any of the thread and not having even a basic understanding of what "skill" is.

Fact: The formulaic nature of Baton Pass makes unskilled players have a reasonable degree of success without needing significant knowledge of the metagame.

Fact: The fact that high level players will lose to this strategy if they have an unfavorable match up, means teams that have an unfavorable match up against baton pass are made unviable.

Fact: Those "ways of beating BP" are shit against anything else. Offensive teams have Talonflame and thundorus and stuff, but stall teams get stuck with haze, and there's almost no reason to run haze other than BP.

Opinion: The only person who's done a decent job with anti-ban arguing is Liar, everybody else is just repeating the same garbage and clearly lack knowledge of the metagame.

Conclusion: BP needs a nerf, and it needs it now, before more bad players end up in the top 500.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

This is a fallacy. Just because something didn't get banned/nerfed last gen doesn't mean that it's automatically ok to stay this gen.

By the way, you're giving the buffs to Baton Pass way too little credit. Having a Speed Boost passer that is not 4x weak to SR and can actually pass defense boosts in addition to speed boosts is huge. Sylveon also exists and has become a staple on BP teams.

Finally, BP is so formulaic, in most situations there is only one "best play" regardless of what the opponent does, making your play really easy. Much like Prankster + SwagPlay teams (which we have made illegal), BP teams don't require skill, knowledge of the meta or creative teambuilding to have decent success, so basically this thread could be considered more of a thread on how we are going to nerf it, especially considering BP does not only require the skill level of SwagPlay, but is actually more successful than that.

Hello guys, just want to tell you about my thoughts (sorry Haunter I've never played to high level or tournaments, but still I think I have some experience in pokegaming, and I finally get through those 71 pages, so I really want to give my opinion).

Well, it seems like nothing good and NEW were pointed out for a lot of pages, except the Punchshroom's proposition. That's still getting in "NO BP are not broken" -> "Yes they are" -> "Let the meta evolve" blah blah blah (don't you think so Kairyu?). Given this whole thread (yeah i successfully went through those 71 pages, with a number increasing by 2 each time I slept...), I really think there will be a nerf to BP teams, and that this playstyle won't be banned. It's also clear that BP is not going to be ban, nor Scolipede, Espeon, Magic Bounce+BP, Speed Boost+BP, and that's a good thing to my mind. Moreover, we are (or not) arguing about how many BP users should be allowed in one team (I really think this is what's going to happen). Some say 3, 4, sometimes 2 and even 1 in one post. The last proposition, as I said, was Punchshroom's one, creating a "Baton Pass Clause". First, I'll say that I totally disagree with that, sorry. This would completely kill BP teams, and that's not what this thread is for (if I'm not misunderstanding).

Now let's talk about my experiences and my opinion with BP and possible nerfs. I always find it hard to counter, even in BW, and often lose to them (or win thanks to a crit, but I'm the luckiest man on earth so that doesn't count). I've talked with many moderators, from various communities, and with a lot of players from the upper ladder, and they all told me : "BP is for the noob, it does well in the low-ladder but doesn't stand a chance in the upper one, which are well-built". So I acknowledged that I was a bad player, that I didn't build good teams. Even this gen, with the famous Deniss, I looked at some replay, showing him battling my strong friends, and they won. But still, the fact is that BP is, now and to my mind, too strong (not broken) and should be nerfed. By reading those 71 pages, I was surprised that a lot of replay were taken as evidence that BP is broken (example : Dauude SS vs. Deniss), but the ones showing the contrary were fully ignored. Not to mention those match when Dauude SS won against Deniss, another replay showing an original STALL team with Mantine if I remember well, which won easily against team. Now I'm not advocating BP, but the argument "BP is don't fun to play against" blinded many people, and isn't the true reason why we should nerf it. We should nerf it for the same reason we ban things : when played well (yes it requires little skill but it requires some, I can assert that if I let my little brother play with the Deniss's team, even if he once went through 30 match in the subway, he would surely lose against a good player), it is able to win more than half of your matchs, and your opponent literraly can't do anything against that (and also it broughts up too much obscure counters when it is known that a playstyle can't be countered). I think that near everyone agree with the fact that it should be nerfed anyway.

The question is : how should it be nerfed ? The best option is to limit number of BP users on the same team : not a very complex ban (I suppose ?), and it really does something. Because banning Speed Boost, or Scolipede, or Espeon, or Magic bounce, won't REALLY be a problem for BP teams : they'll adapt to it, running Zapdos for instance, or trying to check your taunter/PHazer with some stuff like Mr.Mime, Smeargle or anything else (and still, it will force you to run a taunter/PHazer you wouldn't have put in your team without BP). Ban Magic Bounce + Speed Boost can, however, kill it, and this is not what we want to do, don't we ? So the best solution is to limit number of BP user, because after all, it's the BP strategy : have many pokemons using it. This number is the only thing we have to decide left, stop focusing on other debates and let's finally find the solution, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
So, how many of them allowed ?

5 : I don't think that's a good idea. The classic BP is : Scolipede (ID, SB, Mental Herb), Espeon (Magic bounce, CM, SP), Sylveon (Fairy, Hyper voice, CM), Vaporeon (Roar, Acid armor), Smeargle (Ingrain, QD, spore), Mr Mime (fairy, Soudproof) OR occasional Zapdos (typing, agility, what else ?). Most of the time, if we sacrifice a pokemon, or if there is one useless in this team, it's Mr Mime. Sylveon is fairy-type, ingrain prevents Roar and so does Espeon. He has bad defenses, and the only thing he does well is countering requiem(and some soundbased move going through sub). To me, decrease the number to 5 will let obscure (or not obscure) "counters" work better against BP, but don't let a big part of the metagame be efficient. So, it will encourage running those checks, and it will be worst.

1 and 2 : NO. Simply, we don't want to kill BP. That's all.

3 : I'm pretty sure that when someone build a BP team (oh, forgot that noone does that xD ), 2 pokemons are mandatory ( and have been the most subject to ban) : Espeon and Scolipede. So, assuming that it's the start of your team : obviously, it get wrecked by a LOT of COMMON things : REALLY strong physical attackers(flyspam? and not the only one), strong special attackers, set up sweeper, taunt-sweeper user (dark type are better, being immune to stored power), PHazer able to destroy that frail Espeon, and so on and blah blah blah. And you have only ONE pokemon to fix that. Put Vaporeon in your team : physical sweepers and set up sweeper no longer (to some extent) afraid you, but that's all. Add Sylveon and those special attackers, and dark types, no longer bother you. With Smeargle, you're definitively immune to PHazing move, have a last resort solution in Spore, and have a REALLY REALLY usefull healing, because noone seems to bring it up but no member of the team has a recovering move, they only rely on Leftovers and many of them don't run it (first is Scolipede), so Ingrain really helps you (against status for example). And with Zapdos, mmmh no just run Vaporeon.
Now, you can see that 3 pokemon is far from allowing BP teams to be effective. Before, BP often had an auto-win, now they have the same amount of auto-lose( well, not really auto-lose, but they start with a real disadvantage, so it's not viable).

So, I will argue for 4 Baton passer : with 4 BP users, the playstyle become a viable strategy, but not overpowered. It lacks some usefull members of the team, is difficult to deal with but possible with every kind of team. Same situations as before happen, but you can cover more weaknesses, and still being weak against common threats. With Scolipede+Espeon+Vaporeon+Sylveon, I can assert that you REALLY lack Ingrain (if you don't believe me, just look at the 4 players at the top of the ladder, look the replays against Deniss and you'll understand), and you also lack a usefull Spore. Putting Smeargle mean another weakness (special attackers, set up sweepers, strong attackers, dark PHazer, etc.). And the like of M-Pinsir, Talonflame, M-Gardevoir are more and more efficient against them. So Zapdos will may be put in the place of Scolipede, or anything else, I don't know how this is gonna evolve, but this is gonna evolve and that's a good thing. Also, having only 4 mons mean you can't make any mistake, and I really think that skill will be needed. Moreover, we don't even know how the 2 last places will be used, and I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen.
Finally, I'll say that the decision is obviously to be made between 3 or 4. If we start with 3, we won't know if 4 would have been enough, but if we choose 4 and we still considere BP as too strong, let's go to 3 (just like the komi in GO starting to 0, then 5.5, then 6.5, then 7.5 if you know what I mean, people who understand ;) )

PS: I apologize for all the mistakes I could have done, my English isn't perfect ><

Last edited:
Hello guys, just want to tell you about my thoughts (sorry Haunter I've never played to high level or tournaments, but still I think I have some experience in pokegaming, and I finally get through those 71 pages, so I really want to give my opinion).

Well, it seems like nothing good and NEW were pointed out for a lot of pages, except the Punchshroom's proposition. That's still getting in "NO BP are not broken" -> "Yes they are" -> "Let the meta evolve" blah blah blah (don't you think so Kairyu?). Given this whole thread (yeah i successfully went through those 71 pages, with a number increasing by 2 each time I slept...), I really think there will be a nerf to BP teams, and that this playstyle won't be banned. It's also clear that BP is not going to be ban, nor Scolipede, Espeon, Magic Bounce+BP, Speed Boost+BP, and that's a good thing to my mind. Moreover, we are (or not) arguing about how many BP users should be allowed in one team (I really think this is what's going to happen). Some say 3, 4, sometimes 2 and even 1 in one post. The last proposition, as I said, was Punchshroom's one, creating a "Baton Pass Clause". First, I'll say that I totally disagree with that, sorry. This would completely kill BP teams, and that's not what this thread is for (if I'm not misunderstanding).

Now let's talk about my experiences and my opinion with BP and possible nerfs. I always find it hard to counter, even in BW, and often lose to them (or win thanks to a crit, but I'm the luckiest man on earth so that doesn't count). I've talked with many moderators, from various communities, and with a lot of players from the upper ladder, and they all told me : "BP is for the noob, it does well in the low-ladder but doesn't stand a chance in the upper one, which are well-built". So I acknowledged that I was a bad player, that I didn't build good teams. Even this gen, with the famous Deniss, I looked at some replay, showing him battling my strong friends, and they won. But still, the fact is that BP is, now and to my mind, too strong (not broken) and should be nerfed. By reading those 71 pages, I was surprised that a lot of replay were taken as evidence that BP is broken (example : Dauude SS vs. Deniss), but the ones showing the contrary were fully ignored. Not to mention those match when Dauude SS won against Deniss, another replay showing an original STALL team with Mantine if I remember well, which won easily against team. Now I'm not advocating BP, but the argument "BP is don't fun to play against" blinded many people, and isn't the true reason why we should nerf it. We should nerf it for the same reason we ban things : when played well (yes it requires little skill but it requires some, I can assert that if I let my little brother play with the Deniss's team, even if he once went through 30 match in the subway, he would surely lose against a good player), it is able to win more than half of your matchs, and your opponent literraly can't do anything against that (and also it broughts up too much obscure counters when it is known that a playstyle can't be countered). I think that near everyone agree with the fact that it should be nerfed anyway.

The question is : how should it be nerfed ? The best option is to limit number of BP users on the same team : not a very complex ban (I suppose ?), and it really does something. Because banning Speed Boost, or Scolipede, or Espeon, or Magic bounce, won't REALLY be a problem for BP teams : they'll adapt to it, running Zapdos for instance, or trying to check your taunter/PHazer with some stuff like Mr.Mime, Smeargle or anything else (and still, it will force you to run a taunter/PHazer you wouldn't have put in your team without BP). Ban Magic Bounce + Speed Boost can, however, kill it, and this is not what we want to do, don't we ? So the best solution is to limit number of BP user, because after all, it's the BP strategy : have many pokemons using it. This number is the only thing we have to decide left, stop focusing on other debates and let's finally find the solution, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
So, how many of them allowed ?

5 : I don't think that's a good idea. The classic BP is : Scolipede (ID, SB, Mental Herb), Espeon (Magic bounce, CM, SP), Sylveon (Fairy, Hyper voice, CM), Vaporeon (Roar, Acid armor), Smeargle (Ingrain, QD, spore), Mr Mime (fairy, Soudproof) OR occasional Zapdos (typing, agility, what else ?). Most of the time, if we sacrifice a pokemon, or if there is one useless in this team, it's Mr Mime. Sylveon is fairy-type, ingrain prevents Roar and so does Espeon. He has bad defenses, and the only thing he does well is countering requiem(and some soundbased move going through sub). To me, decrease the number to 5 will let obscure (or not obscure) "counters" work better against BP, but don't let a big part of the metagame be efficient. So, it will encourage running those checks, and it will be worst.

1 and 2 : NO. Simply, we don't want to kill BP. That's all.

3 : I'm pretty sure that when someone build a BP team (oh, forgot that noone does that xD ), 2 pokemons are mandatory ( and have been the most subject to ban) : Espeon and Scolipede. So, assuming that it's the start of your team : obviously, it get wrecked by a LOT of COMMON things : REALLY strong physical attackers(flyspam? and not the only one), strong special attackers, set up sweeper, taunt-sweeper user (dark type are better, being immune to stored power), PHazer able to destroy that frail Espeon, and so on and blah blah blah. And you have only ONE pokemon to fix that. Put Vaporeon in your team : physical sweepers and set up sweeper no longer (to some extent) afraid you, but that's all. Add Sylveon and those special attackers, and dark types, no longer bother you. With Smeargle, you're definitively immune to PHazing move, have a last resort solution in Spore, and have a REALLY REALLY usefull healing, because noone seems to bring it up but no member of the team has a recovering move, they only rely on Leftovers and many of them don't run it (first is Scolipede), so Ingrain really helps you (against status for example). And with Zapdos, mmmh no just run Vaporeon.
Now, you can see that 3 pokemon is far from allowing BP teams to be effective. Before, BP often had an auto-win, now they have the same amount of auto-lose( well, not really auto-lose, but they start with a real disadvantage, so it's not viable).

So, I will argue for 4 Baton passer : with 4 BP users, the playstyle become a viable strategy, but not overpowered. It lacks some usefull members of the team, is difficult to deal with but possible with every kind of team. Same situations as before happen, but you can cover more weaknesses, and still being weak against common threats. With Scolipede+Espeon+Vaporeon+Sylveon, I can assert that you REALLY lack Ingrain (if you don't believe me, just look at the 4 players at the top of the ladder, look the replays against Deniss and you'll understand), and you also lack a usefull Spore. Putting Smeargle mean another weakness (special attackers, set up sweepers, strong attackers, dark PHazer, etc.). And the like of M-Pinsir, Talonflame, M-Gardevoir are more and more efficient against them. So Zapdos will may be put in the place of Scolipede, or anything else, I don't know how this is gonna evolve, but this is gonna evolve and that's a good thing. Also, having only 4 mons mean you can't make any mistake, and I really think that skill will be needed. Moreover, we don't even know how the 2 last places will be used, and I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen.
Finally, I'll say that the decision is obviously to be made between 3 or 4. If we start with 3, we won't know if 4 would have been enough, but if we choose 4 and we still considere BP as too strong, let's go to 3 (just like the komi in GO starting to 0, then 5.5, then 6.5, then 7.5 if you know what I mean, people who understand ;) )

PS: I apologize for all the mistakes I could have done, my English isn't perfect ><
Limit to 4 doesn't seem bad, it will almost force the BP team to pass to a sweeper that can't pass it back opening more counter play (similar to how BP chains worked in the last two gens). At the very least it seems like a good place to start

I'd like to point out that Haze, by itself, is not even a viable check to a BP team. It doesn't stop the user from taking damage, it just reduces all stat changes. You're still getting hit by a neutral Psychic, Hyper Voice or a Stored Power. Sure, those attacks won't do as much damage, but they are still doing some. And furthermore, do you think you're only going to use Haze once, the entire battle? Try again. I don't think I need to explain how hard it is to keep any particular Pokemon alive and useful for very long in the current metagame, and it only becomes harder when you are forced to bring it out, one, two, even four times in a row. It becomes a 6-on-1 pretty quickly, and, if you actually play it out, you lose.

You bring out the hazer, I attack and start over. Espeon is no weakling. Sylveon is no weakling. Scolipede is no weakling. All three of those Pokemon also outspeed 80% of realistic Hazers, which means if the hazer does not predict a stat-up move point blank, he is taking at least one boosted attack before re-hazing, every. single. time.

Combine that with the list of Pokemon that learn Haze, some of which are a little durable, but not durable enough. There are no Hippos in that movepool list. No Cresselias, No Slowbros, etc... Chansey doesn't learn Haze. Trust me, I checked. Gliscor doesn't learn haze. Ferrothorn doesn't learn haze. There are no true OU tanks that even learn the move. None. Your entire defense against a Baton Pass team boils down to keeping Vaporeon, Dragonite, Dusknoir, or Milotic alive. Four Pokemon. So even if my argument stopped here, that is already a ridiculous amount of over-centralization. If you want to beat BP with Haze, these are your options, period.

But my argument doesn't stop there. Dusknoir has no reliable recovery move, Vaporeon, only somewhat reliable, at best. Dragonite has trouble even switching in, in the first place. It's also weak to Fairy, which is kind of a problem. Milotic is probably the most reliable here, it's substantially bulky and gets Recover.
So let's say you bring out one of these four Pokemon. And then what? You haze, I Psychic, because let's be real, you can smell Haze coming from a mile away.

252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dusknoir: 87-103 (29.5 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 154-183 (33.1 - 39.4%) -- 13.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now you're probably thinking, "but who the hell makes room for Psychic on Espeon in a BP team"
My answer: I don't know. You're probably right.

So, here you go:

4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dusknoir: 81-96 (27.5 - 32.6%) -- 66.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 144-169 (31 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Same thing.

At worst, I've already brought you down to 70%. What have you done to me? All you have literally done: reset stat changes and bring things back to how they were in turn 1. Meanwhile I've already gained an advantage, hurt your Hazer at least once, and have easy set-up fodder for a new cycle, assuming I have Taunt somewhere on my team, which you damn well better believe I do.

------------------------------

As far as nerf/ban options go, imo here are the most viable ones I've read/heard about/thought about: Starting with the most viable:

1. "Baton Pass Clause": As defined by user Punchshroom on a previous page
if a Pokemon enters battle via a teammate's Baton Pass, they cannot use Baton Pass themselves
I won't repeat all his reasoning (this post is already quite long), but it boils down to the fact that this has a slight advantage over other responses because it is far less arbitrary, and less vulnerable to abuse/exploitation (see below), while at the same time, only nerfing Baton Pass teams. There is no collateral damage, at all. Anywhere. The only reason you are using baton pass consecutively is because you are using a BP chain. It's also absolute. There's no room for debate here: if this change is implemented, Baton Pass will never be a problem again. That's something that cannot be said about other proposals. Even a 1% chance is still a chance, after all. And it's a serious concern. The council only has so many hours in a day. It is very undesirable for Smogon to implement a rule, and then have exploits or issues come up months down, that require the implementation of a new, second rule. This proposal 100% ensures that such issues will not occur.

On the downside, it involves changing game mechanics, something Smogon/the council is reluctant to do. In general, I agree with that stance, and the reasons behind it, but I personally feel like BP is a unique scenario that justifies making an exception. It's also a bit deceptive to newer users. They receive no message while team building, and one might hypothetically lose 1 or more battles by not being aware of this mechanic, and trying to use Baton Pass in an "illegal way."

2. "Three is a crowd": Also clearly not my idea, but it is, in my opinion, by far, the second best option there is for efficiently controlling Baton Pass without hurting any other "innocent" strategies. Basically, under this proposal, a player would not be allowed to enter a battle with 3 or more (more than 2) Pokemon that know the move Baton Pass. I'll be blunt and say that allowing 4 would be too much, while barring 2 would approach the line of hurting non-BP teams. A line I feel it is critical to avoid.

This rule has the advantage of being easier to convey (since you can just set up a block in Team Builder for it, just like illegal egg moves, OHKO moves, etc...). Disadvantages of this rule include its complexity, somewhat randomness. I'm also not fully convinced that it is impossible to still abuse the metagame with only two Baton Pass users. Nor am I convinced that instead banning only 4 or more Baton Passers does not effectively nerf BP teams just the same (because the goal is to ban as little as possible while still achieving desired results). You will have all kinds of trolls and dumbs going "lol why ban 3?!?! Smogon so dumb they just rolldice 4 ban"

Other proposals:

- Banning Shell Smash: On one hand, I like this proposal because Shell Smash is a somewhat ridiculous move. On the other hand, I have no evidence or argument to support the notion that Baton Pass teams are not broken without Shell Smash. There's also the issue of hurting other tiers. I've never played other tiers, but other people tell me that Shell Smash holds a healthy presence in UU and RU. I'll take their word for it and say that that fact alone constitutes making this an undesirable proposal.

- "Complex Bans": Obviously, technically speaking, every proposal on this list is a "complex ban." But here I'm talking about the REALLY complex ones. Stuff like banning Magic Bounce + Baton Pass or Speed Boost + Baton Pass. What happens if I dont want a BP team, I just want an Espeon to pass Calm Minds to my Latias? Is that really broken on its own? Plus, what evidence is there that such proposal(s) would even work? Baton Pass would just go back to the old school style of abusing Mr. Mime and abusing Taunt. Whether or not such a style is also broken, I cannot say. But it's worth thinking about, before one approaches these "complex" proposals with any seriousness.

I might as well insert my input as well. (Note: I'm far from a newbie. This is not my first account. I've been around for 4 years.)

While the argument can be made that BP teams are uncompetitive, the same argument can be made for many more things. My answer is no blanket ban, as BP at least requires strategy. We have precedent for limiting BP chains from ADV, so a similar rule would make the most sense. I'll set the number for a ban at four or more Pokémon with Baton Pass on the same team. This nerfs it while not making it an unreasonable strategy and not changing game mechanics.

So, what about Curse?

I'm talking like honest-to-goodness, ghost-type Pokemon Curse. I think this move is often overlooked because of the massive health cut that pretty much just forces a switch. But here's the key about Curse:

1) It can't be blocked by Magic Bounce.
2) It can't be blocked by Substitute.
3) It can't even be blocked by Protect or Detect. And perhaps most importantly....
4) IT IS BATON PASSED.

Sure, somebody has to pony-up half of their health, but you force them to completely reset the baton pass chain, with almost no hope of countering the curse. And if they want to take the curse on the chin? Then the passed-in Pokemon instantly takes a quarter of its health right off the bat, and they get three or four (if it has some kind of health recovery) turns of use out of the ultimate target of the pass before it succumbs to the curse.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
\However, what is broken about BP chains is that there is absolutely zero way to beat them outside of these relatively obscure Pokemon.
Right, because Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Charizard, Heatran, Thundurus, Aegislash, and every Pokemon with a phasing move are so bloody obscure. As explained multiple times, if you're capable of this little thing called prediction (which dauude totally failed at doing in that replay, I might add), you will win against BP even if you are not using dedicated anti-BP checks.

You bring out the hazer, I attack and start over. Espeon is no weakling. Sylveon is no weakling. Scolipede is no weakling. All three of those Pokemon also outspeed 80% of realistic Hazers, which means if the hazer does not predict a stat-up move point blank, he is taking at least one boosted attack before re-hazing, every. single. time.

And what happens during the process of getting up all those boosts? I've beaten the snot out of your Baton passers, who are now either statused, missing items, or sitting at 40%-50% health due to predicted attacks. Good luck EVER getting that chain up more than twice when you've made absolutely no progress at all against my team due to Haze and I've continually crippled yours with repeated attacks.

And what happens during the process of getting up all those boosts? I've beaten the snot out of your Baton passers, who are now either statused, missing items, or sitting at 40%-50% health due to predicted attacks. Good luck EVER getting that chain up more than twice when you've made absolutely no progress at all against my team due to Haze and I've continually crippled yours with repeated attacks.
Except now your opponent probably knows you sets so any 'surprise' factor isn't going to be very helpful. What they thought was an offensive Gengar/greninja that could be running perfect coverage is now forced to ignore one move, and they can play around that. Also, probably the more reliable Hazer is Quagsire, as it won't take as much as say greninja or Gengar from attacks as it ignores boosts, and Quagsire doesn't exactly 'carry momentum' if you will. Sure it can stop your opponent's momentum, but you switching out to an attacker gives them a chance to resume setup, which puts them one step ahead of you (again).

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I find Punchshroom's proposal impractical and I am basically 100% it will never happen. Sleep Clause is the exception, not the rule, and based more on tradition than anything else. We don't alter game mechanics. We simply don't, unless it is absolutely necessary. There is an easy solution of a cap that we can use, so it clearly isn't absolutely necessary. As a whole the concept and philosophy behind the idea is flawed.

Look, guys, there's no anti-ban at this point. The council has made it pretty clear that a nerf will occur, and I think Haunter and numerous others have made it clear that a cap is the best solution. I've posted replays where 4-mon BP is just as devastating and skillless as 6-mon. Let's cut to 3 and nip it at the bud :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)