SV RU Atomic Bonsai 2: Heel Girl (peak 1620 #7)

Introduction
After taking a break from RU following the Trios tour, I returned for the February shifts, which fostered an excellent environment for Hyper Offense. Seeing as I already built an infamous HO team in the past, I decided to create another hyper offense team, one that got me to 1600s in the ladder and is sure to haunt feen's dreams for the next month or so (unless Thundurus-Therian and Iron Leaves get banned before then). Also with the incoming bans, I thought it prudent to post the RMT as soon as possible.
Proof of Peak
1707494613343.png

1707494631273.png

Teambuilding Process
Oh boy, this is such a doozy that I don't even remember the whole thing.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::maushold: - I started off with the tried-and-true trio from my last team. The idea remained the same: These three share a number of checks, which can't handle all of them at once.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::maushold::donphan: - I wanted to experiment with alternative leads rather than the typical Azelf or Kleavor, and I decided to use Donphan with Custap berry due to its hazard removing capabilities and its good matchup into Kleavor.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::maushold::donphan::haxorus: - The Dragon Dance users looked incredibly appealing to me, so I used Haxorus, who was being hailed as the strongest of them all.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::maushold::donphan::haxorus::mew: - I rounded out the team with Mew, a scourge of last month before it got banned, due to its incredible snowballing capabilities.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::maushold::donphan::haxorus::comfey: - Mew's lack of immediate power wasn't cutting it, and I had a poor matchup into opposing hyper offense, so I added Comfey instead due to its access to priority and wide movepool.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::revavroom::donphan::salamence::gardevoir: - Haxorus felt inconsistent due to its fragility and difficulty finding setup opportunities, and Comfey felt easy to overwhelm. I also had a terrible matchup into rain, so I added Salamence and Gardevoir over the two. Salamence's better bulk and typing gave it more setup opportunities, while Gardevoir had a good matchup into rain and could cripple fatter mons. Maushold also had way less setup opportunities than during its previous tenure, so ol' reliable Revavroom was added instead.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::revavroom::kleavor::salamence::gardevoir: - Donphan was too inconsistent as a lead thanks to its low speed and lack of bulk, especially against opposing Hyper Offense (seeing a pattern?), so I added Kleavor for more consistency and power.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::revavroom::kleavor::thundurus-therian::gardevoir: - The team was hard-walled by Moltres, so I needed a Special Attacker that could take it down. Thundurus-Therian, thanks to its Electric typing and access to Nasty Plot, was the natural choice.
:iron-jugulis::mimikyu::revavroom::kleavor::thundurus-therian::iron-leaves: - While I had plenty of success with the Gardevoir version, the team's matchup into Hippowdon teams was inconsistent at best. Feliburn suggested to use Iron Leaves, and I had plenty of success with it.

The Team
(click the portraits for artist credit!)
OL' JUGS
ironjugs.png
@
Bag_Booster_Energy_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type:
GroundIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
DarkIC_SV.png
Dark Pulse
-
FlyingIC_SV.png
Hurricane
-
GroundIC_SV.png
Earth Power
-
DarkIC_SV.png
Taunt
After being freed from RUBL, Iron Jugulis has taken up revenge against the tier of RU for locking it away. Jugs largely does the same things it always has; outspeeding most of the tier, shutting down defensive Pokemon with Taunt, and smacking things around with its powerful STAB attacks. Once again, Tera Ground is used to bolster Earth Power and provide resistances against Electric moves from the likes of Thundurus as well as Lycanroc-Dusk's STAB moves. Iron Jugulis can come in at any point in the game to wreck house and support its teammates with Taunt or chip damage; it may even be used as a lead in cases where leading Kleavor (i.e. against Hippowdon) is an unviable strategy. However, it's at its most successful as a mid-game attacker or late-game cleaner, especially against teams that lack ample Flying resists.
Other Options
Tera Steel is an alternative option that improves Iron Jugulis's matchup against Fairy-types like Comfey as well as Scarf Gengar, but the power granted by Tera Ground is generally more appreciated.
LEGBOOT
mimi.png
@
Bag_Life_Orb_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Disguise
Tera Type:
GhostIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Swords Dance
-
GhostIC_SV.png
Shadow Sneak
-
FairyIC_SV.png
Play Rough
-
GhostIC_SV.png
Shadow Claw
If I had a nickel for every time Mimikyu appeared in my RMTs, I'd have three nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's funny that it's happened thrice.
Jokes aside Mimikyu largely performs the same role it always has; a glue for HO teams that helps beat opposing HO and provides valuable priority. As the meta is more offensive at the moment, Shadow Claw's power, especially when combined with Tera Ghost, is preferred over the longevity Drain Punch provides. Mimikyu typically comes in mid-game to pick off weakened threats or take down boosted threats thanks to Disguise. Certain threats, such as Blastoise, may mandate saving Mimikyu until late in the game. There really isn't much else to say about Mimikyu; it's a tried-and-true option for offense.
BALANCE CAR (aka ford pinto)
rev.png @
Bag_Air_Balloon_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Filter
Tera Type:
GroundIC_Tera.png

Adamant Nature
-
SteelIC_SV.png
Shift Gear
-
SteelIC_SV.png
Iron Head
-
PoisonIC_SV.png
Gunk Shot
-
GroundIC_SV.png
High Horsepower
Beating the powercrept allegations only to face the broken allegations... what a mon. Much like Mimikyu, Revavroom continues to do the same thing it did pre-Indigo Disk, being a powerful late-game sweeper capable of shredding through whittled-down teams. However, Revavroom may come in earlier on Fairy-types in order to scare them out and/or force a Tera, being this team's main bulwark against them. This Revavroom set is very standard, with the usual STABs, High Horsepower, and Tera Ground to bolster the latter. Just be sure not to bring in Revavroom while walls like Hippowdon are healthy, and you're good to go.
Other Options
The Tera Type could likely use some experimentation. Anti-Priority tera types, like Ghost or Normal, could probably be usable, but I haven't experimented much with it.
CITIZEN CUTS
kleav.png @
Bag_Focus_Sash_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type:
GhostIC_Tera.png

Jolly Nature
-
RockIC_SV.png
Stone Axe
-
BugIC_SV.png
X-Scissor
-
FightingIC_SV.png
Close Combat
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Quick Attack
Kleavor makes a strong impression on the tier by virtue of being a lead with unblockable (assuming you don't miss) entry hazards and a strong offensive profile. The set is mostly standard, with Close Combat hitting targets like Bisharp and Empoleon, but the last slot is somewhat unusual. Quick Attack is an unconventional choice used in order to take down other leads such as Kleavor and Azelf 1v1 rather than relying on a Speed tie in the case of the former or Tailwind not getting Taunted for the latter. As mentioned before Kleavor is typically used as a lead, but there are some cases, such as against fatter teams, where leading Kleavor is a poor choice. Additionally, Kleavor's Focus Sash may need to be preserved in order to beat a larger threat to the team.
Other Options
Trailblaze is an option for reliably beating lead Azelf as well as hitting targets like Swampert and Gastrodon, but it's unreliable when faced against opposing lead Kleavor. Tailwind can provide additional support to teammates, but it's usually too short to provide any meaningful impact.
COOL DUDE
thundy.png @
Bag_Heavy-Duty_Boots_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type:
FlyingIC_Tera.png

Timid Nature
-
DarkIC_SV.png
Nasty Plot
-
ElectricIC_SV.png
Thunderbolt
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Tera Blast
-
GrassIC_SV.png
Grass Knot
The dragon-thing that put Kilowattrel out of a job, Thundurus-T serves as a powerful mid-game breaker thanks to its massive Special Attack or late-game cleaner with Nasty Plot. Tera Blast Flying offers incredible neutral coverage in a tier that lacks good Flying resists, while Grass Knot targets Ground-types like Hippowdon and Donphan. Thundurus performs best against bulkier teams who often rely on the somewhat-passive Cyclizar to outspeed it. Try not to reveal Tera Blast too early, as part of its strength comes from the surprise factor thanks to Thundurus's wide movepool.
BRIAN LEAVES
ironleaves.png @
Bag_Booster_Energy_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type:
FightingIC_Tera.png

EVs: 96 HP / 160 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Swords Dance
-
GrassIC_SV.png
Leaf Blade
-
PsychicIC_SV.png
Psyblade
-
FightingIC_SV.png
Close Combat
Iron Leaves' unique offensive typing helps the team cleave through bulky Water- and Ground-types, who can otherwise be a nuisance. This is a fairly standard Iron Leaves set, with Booster Speed being chosen due to the prevalence of fast threats in the metagame at the moment. Tera Fighting bolsters Close Combat and gives Leaves an invaluable Sucker Punch resistance. Leaves tends to come in later to clean up with Swords Dance, but may need to come in earlier against bulkier teams in order to dispatch the aforementioned bulky Waters and Grounds.
Other Options
Tera Electric + Wild Charge lets Iron Leaves 1v1 Iron Jugulis, but worsens your matchup against bulky grounds. Booster Attack + Trailblaze can also be used, but the immediate speed boost is generally preferred. There's also...
NO
garde.png @
Bag_Choice_Scarf_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Trace
Tera Type:
FairyIC_Tera.png

Timid Nature
-
PsychicIC_SV.png
Psychic
-
FairyIC_SV.png
Moonblast
-
PsychicIC_SV.png
Trick
-
PsychicIC_SV.png
Healing Wish
Though Choice users aren't typically recommended on Hyper Offense teams, Gardevoir can be used in order to improve the team's matchup into Rain as well as Stored Power sweepers like Comfey thanks to Trick. This is bog-standard Scarf Gardevoir, with Healing Wish being able to bring back a chipped teammate like Thundurus or Iron Jugulis. However the team generally prefers Iron Leaves thanks to its superior Speed and ability to break through Pokemon like Hippowdon and Quagsire.

Threatlist
:comfey: - A really good anti-HO mon that can be irritating to break thanks to priority Draining Kiss. The Tera and utility move guessing game does not help. Pressure is key here, typically from Revavroom, as is Taunting it with Iron Jugulis, whom you will likely have to sack to it.
:blastoise: - Its excellent bulk lets it set up very easily and its Speed ain't too shabby either. Timid variants are especially threatening due to its ability to outspeed Iron Jugulis. Try to preserve Mimikyu's Disguise and Kleavor rather than using it as a lead.
:grafaiai: (:thwackey:) - Yes, Grassy Terrain teams of all things are a big threat to this team. Many Terrain teams often pack Comfey, already a massive threat to this team, as well, heavily pressuring it. Try to preserve Revavroom and pray to God.
:cobalion: - Denies Kleavor, sits on Mimikyu, and can take punishment from the rest of the team and deal it back out. Thundurus-Therian is pretty solid against it thanks to being able to block Volt Switch, but be wary of Iron Head flinches.
:lycanroc-dusk: - Another annoyance for HO. This team's only rock resist is Revavroom, who's made of paper and gets chunked by Close Combat. Once again, preserving Mimikyu's disguise is key.
:bellibolt: - Loathesome, dishonest Bellibolt pretty much walls the team unless you burn a Tera on Revavroom or something. It can be sufficiently pressured, but the uncommon Protect + Toxic sets can be quite annoying.
Replays
:kleavor:vs Feen:blastoise: - This shows the team beating Blastoise, a massive threat to the team, by preserving Kleavor's Focus Sash in order to pick it off.
:revavroom:vs arakdo:mimikyu: - Note that this was before I added Quick Attack to Kleavor, hence why I panicked when Mimikyu came onto the field while Tailwind was active. This replay shows the importance of Quick Attack; had I used it in this battle, the matchup vs. Mimikyu would've been much easier.
:iron-jugulis:vs Lime:grafaiai: - While I did get lucky with the confusion hit, it shows the need to pressure Comfey, as it usually takes chunks from Hurricane and has difficulty switching in. It also shows Quick Attack's usefulness in Kleavor mirror matches, as I did not have to rely on winning a speed tie to get a favorable lead matchup.
Conclusion
Sometimes, it just feels good to build and use a brainless hyper offensive team, especially in a nascent meta like this. This meta likely won't last very long (and Thundurus-T is likely on the chopping block as well), so enjoy it while it lasts. Also shoutouts to Feliburn, Heni-san, FlamingoPokeman, and the RU discord for being patient with me and helping me build the team!
Also shoutouts feen and angelthesaucegod

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)