Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

1. I couldn't find a good source that told me the tier changes for NU, is there hub or a place that tells you what has changed? Or just the main forum thread?

2. Why have Magneton and Fletchinder risen to RU? I understand it's based off of usage, however neither Magneton or Fletchinder seemed at a high enough usage to rise to RU.

Thank you.
Here are the official showdown usage statistics.

And for your second point, the official tiers' usage stats are based on high level ladder play (1690 iirc). Maybe you haven't been at that point on the RU ladder for an extended amount of time?

Here are the official showdown usage statistics.

And for your second point, the official tiers' usage stats are based on high level ladder play (1690 iirc). Maybe you haven't been at that point on the RU ladder for an extended amount of time?
I know the usage stats, and looked through them. I just didn't see anything that said, "x has risen to this tier". Maybe I'm overlooking it or something.

I understand that they're based off of high ladder play, and I'm around 1500~ in NU and see why some things are highly spammed. I get that. I just don't see why when something moves to a different tier

I know the usage stats, and looked through them. I just didn't see anything that said, "x has risen to this tier". Maybe I'm overlooking it or something.

I understand that they're based off of high ladder play, and I'm around 1500~ in NU and see why some things are highly spammed. I get that. I just don't see why when something moves to a different tier
Well in general with the usage stats, the usage cutoff between tiers is around 3.41 (iirc). Anything above this mark is in the above tier. Anything below it drops.

1. I couldn't find a good source that told me the tier changes for NU, is there hub or a place that tells you what has changed? Or just the main forum thread?

2. Why have Magneton and Fletchinder risen to RU? I understand it's based off of usage, however neither Magneton or Fletchinder seemed at a high enough usage to rise to RU.

Thank you.
Maybe you have misunderstood the fact that Fletchinder and Magneton had enough usage in RU to rise up. Their NU usage doesn't matter at all

Lass Geneviéve

Banned deucer.

Thank you.
1. I am working on a website which will cover this kind of news. If the Room Owner's like my website, you could always take a look on there. Your best bet, if the site won't be used, is trying to see if the Roomdesc has anything covered like this. Or people in the room could tell you.
You're last chance is to see if the Smogon NU forum was updated, this will most likely have a topic like this. (Not 100% sure).

2. Both, Magneton and Fletchinder, were top 25 in Usage stats. Both have been great in the NU tier. They also were in the top 100 of the RU tier. And considering there were 382 pokémon mentioned, this is pretty impressive for 2 pokémon which both are not shown in the NU tier list of the Teambuilder.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Venoshock

This maybe? Maybe Assault Vest and change the Toxic Spikes to Dragon Tail and the Venoshock to Sludge Bomb.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What are some good teammates for a hazard stacking core of Qwilfish and Accelgor?

Edit: Dropping accelgor. Basically good teammates for qwilfish and golurk now

Last edited:
It's also worth noting that not all NFEs are legal in NU. Chansey, Porygon2, Doublade, Gligar, Fletchinder, Magneton, and Golbat are all in a higher tier by usage.

Edit @ below: yeah i know what you meant, i was just clarifying :o

Last edited:
Is there any viable Wigglytuff set ? Also, has anybody ever tested to see if it (well, Igglybuff rather) can be bred baby-doll eyes ? Because I find it odd how nobody is listed as getting that move via breeding.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there any viable Wigglytuff set ? Also, has anybody ever tested to see if it (well, Igglybuff rather) can be bred baby-doll eyes ? Because I find it odd how nobody is listed as getting that move via breeding.
The only thing that really can make Wigglytuff viable seems to be is Competitive. And then you have to bring it in on someones defog to get to +2. Other than that from what I have seen it is quite frail and doesnt seem to be able to take a hit. It does boast a huge HP stat though and gets access to wish, so the wishes it passes are going to be pretty big. That being said like i mentioned before it has paper thin defenses. Depending on if you are trying to make an offensive variant or defensive, I would just say experiment with it a little bit, cause it does have two good things about it. Just keep in mind it isnt an A+ pokemon, so dont try to force it into the role of one, and then get frustrated when it doesnt live up to those standards.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The only thing that really can make Wigglytuff viable seems to be is Competitive. And then you have to bring it in on someones defog to get to +2. Other than that from what I have seen it is quite frail and doesnt seem to be able to take a hit. It does boast a huge HP stat though and gets access to wish, so the wishes it passes are going to be pretty big. That being said like i mentioned before it has paper thin defenses. Depending on if you are trying to make an offensive variant or defensive, I would just say experiment with it a little bit, cause it does have two good things about it. Just keep in mind it isnt an A+ pokemon, so dont try to force it into the role of one, and then get frustrated when it doesnt live up to those standards.
This is not true. Wigglytuff can certainly take a hit, which had me surprised when it survived my Tyranitar's 100% Eruption. Competitive is somewhat like Defiant, which means that it can be a (usable) anti-defog for hazard stacking teams. However, I admit that Primeape fits this role better.

Its Normal-Fairy typing is quite silly; I believe it would be more useful if it had pure Fairy-typing.

Wigglytuff, is an "okay" Pokemon in the tier. I wouldn't say it sucks, but I wouldn't say it's great either. Try using a defensive WishPass set, or if you want to go offensive, it has a great movepool and fair offensive stats to at least deal some damage.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Wigglytuff, is an "okay" Pokemon in the tier. I wouldn't say it sucks, but I wouldn't say it's great either. Try using a defensive WishPass set, or if you want to go offensive, it has a great movepool and fair offensive stats to at least deal some damage.
The problem with a defensive set at no matter how you Ev it, it will always take more than 50% damage from any attack that isn't resisted, nonSTAB, neutral and/or low BP. Every defensive variant I've tried always came to the point of take the wish yourself and die next turn anyway or pass the wish and not being able to live a hit later.

Similarly, offensive variants have no way to boost its stats so it's forced to rely on competitive to get a boost, something you can't always do. And in those games it's just dead weight, because 85 is not all that impressive unboosted.

Thank you.
They have too much RU usage is the simple answer, and in terms of a source stay tuned in the main NU thread!

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you mean when do analyses start getting written, that will all begin once NU is out of beta. That should be happening somewhat soon, but really only the great Raseri knows.

If you mean something else, then I dunno.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So what's the plan with NU pokes in the strategydex?
I noticed that like none have anything.
Who's in charge of that?
it'll be coming sometime around august once the metagame settles more. I assume raseri will be in charge but I don't know who else will be working on it.

What's a good Rapid Spinner in NU?
There aren't a ton of great Rapid Spinners in the tier. I suppose in general your best bets are Cryogonal, Sandslash, and if you really need it, Armaldo.

However, I can't reccomend enough using a defogger. NU has a lot of viable defoggers right now in the forme of Shiftry, Pelipper, Vullaby, Togetic, and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

There aren't a ton of great Rapid Spinners in the tier. I suppose in general your best bets are Cryogonal, Sandslash, and if you really need it, Armaldo.

However, I can't reccomend enough using a defogger. NU has a lot of viable defoggers right now in the forme of Shiftry, Pelipper, Vullaby, Togetic, and more I can't think of off the top of my head.
True, but I'm running a HO team with Accelgor, and it seems counterproductive to use Defog. I'll probably go with Sandslash.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
True, but I'm running a HO team with Accelgor, and it seems counterproductive to use Defog. I'll probably go with Sandslash.
Unless your team is already mega weak to ice, I'd recommend Cryo > Sandslash on hyper offence. Cryo has a great base speed it can abuse on H-O, and it can even do some work itself with an offensive rapid spin set [Freeze-Dry, HP Ground, Rapid Spin, Recover?]. Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)