Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, thanks a lot, lemme try it.

EDIT: I'm on Advanced Interface, and I don't have that. Do you think that there is an error with my editing or something?
Advanced Interface? There's Basic, Standard, and Enhanced Interfaces to choose from, and if you have the Enhanced or Standard Interfaces, it should have that button... Perhaps you could post a screenshot of what your text box looks like?

@ die eter: I assume you mean in the cartrige game right? I can't explain what happened, but if no one else pops in here to explain, you might want to post that in the research thread.

Incidentally, someone told me that it was a shoddy bug that snatch gives you the substitute but steals the opponent's health. Not sure if this is still how shoddy works (been a while since I toyed around with snatch) and I haven't personally verified on the cartridge, but just thought that I'd put that out there.

@Objection: You're not really going to find anything meeting your description. If you allow stat-ups, however, any dragon dancer will do a decent job (especially salamence, gyarados, dragonite, kingdra and tyranitar), agiligross, bellyzard (lol), sd luke, sd scizor, np azelf, sub-petaya empoleon.

The reason I didn't want to have to use stat-boosting moves is because I can never find a chance to and because I often find two or three attacking types don't provide enough type coverage.

It know it steals substitutes; what I was told is wrong was the fact that the opponent still loses health when you snatch their substitute. I wasn't really complaining about a shoddy bug, just letting people know. I always like to know when shoddy and the cartridges don't align (especially when it makes a strategy I'm using less useful in-game), so I figured that other people might like to know too. Maybe not.

(found the thread where I was corrected about snatch: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50509&page=2)

I have a question about the events that can be obtained by wifi mystery gift in Platinum, like the secret key and the item used for getting Darkrai. If you use them then restart your game, can you use them again on your new save file? Are they saved to your game, or do you have to download them a second time, or is it once only?

I want to know because it would be nice to be able to get all the Rotom forms on Ranch.

I have a question about the events that can be obtained by wifi mystery gift in Platinum, like the secret key and the item used for getting Darkrai. If you use them then restart your game, can you use them again on your new save file? Are they saved to your game, or do you have to download them a second time, or is it once only?

I want to know because it would be nice to be able to get all the Rotom forms on Ranch.
Ranch requires that you have the same ID number as the file from which your Pokemon come. You'd screw yourself out of the Pokemon if you restart. . .

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus

Once only per save file, WCs aren't saved to the card. If you have two copies of Platinum, though, you can: the Secret Key can be redistributed. Thus, you can transfer a Rotom form after playing through to the point where it can be obtained, deposit it, then repeat the process three more times. The other Platinum provides the fifth Rotom form.

However, see the reply above me.

The reason I didn't want to have to use stat-boosting moves is because I can never find a chance to and because I often find two or three attacking types don't provide enough type coverage.
you could try a Gyraflail. it's pretty easy to use and can really cause some havoc. i used it for a while with pretty good success, but the popularity of Sandstorm really reduces it's efficacy.

from the analysis page:

Smogon Gyrados Analysis said:
Gyarados has the ability to easily switch into battle and force the opponent to switch out. This set takes advantage of both factors in order to set up. On the turn the opponent switches to its appropriate counter, Gyarados will use Substitute. Depending on the counter, Gyarados will either Dragon Dance or Substitute accordingly, and proceed to sweep with a huge advantage in Speed and Attack. It might seem like the ease by which this is done is being oversimplified; however, this cannot be farther from the truth. How does nearly every individual deal with Gyarados? By switching, which gives Gyarados the opportunity to set up its Substitute.

For example, if the opponent switched in Starmie, Gyarados will Substitute down to Liechi activation and Dragon Dance on the final Substitute breaking turn, giving Gyarados +2 Attack, +1 Speed and a 200 BP move to easily OHKO Starmie with. However, if something like Celebi was switched in the turn Gyarados used Substitute, Gyarados will then Dragon Dance, and use Substitute if it feels a Thunder Wave / Leech Seed coming or Dragon Dance if a Grass Knot is coming. Depending on the amount of health left, Gyarados will then (probably) Substitute again for the Berry activation, and have +3 Attack, +2 Speed and 200 BP move to deal with the opposition.
Liechi Berry or Salac Berry is purely a matter of preference in the end. It depends on whether having Gyarados outspeed Choice Scarf Gengar that switch in later or having the extra boost of Attack is preferred, mostly to OHKO threats like Celebi.

Rain Dance support is a decent option to consider since the set is crippled by the effects of Hail and Sandstream.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I haven't played Standard in 3 months. I returned like yesterday. So can someone tell me what the metagame is like at the moment? Is it offense, still, or is stall becoming more prominent? Is it worth investing in powerful wallbreakers like Dragonite?(fuck you Salamence)
Reposting, I need an answer please.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would say that "bulky offense" is pretty much ruling the day now; the most common lead is definitely Metagross (the stats bear this out) but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Infernape and Heatran passed Tyranitar and Azelf in the February stats. Also, lead Jirachi is still extremely common (#3 in January). It's worth noting that while all of these are Stealth Rock leads, only Azelf is a true "suicide lead". With Latias in OU (and Latios in Suspect) it becomes much more rewarding to play a bulky offense style. It's now very common for teams to have 2+ Steels and 2+ Dragons, which is a winning strategy. Stall is rare but still viable; Latias is good for stall in that she's the best Infernape counter ever, but bad for stall in that she can crush a stall team if Blissey goes down.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would say that "bulky offense" is pretty much ruling the day now; the most common lead is definitely Metagross (the stats bear this out) but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Infernape and Heatran passed Tyranitar and Azelf in the February stats. Also, lead Jirachi is still extremely common (#3 in January). It's worth noting that while all of these are Stealth Rock leads, only Azelf is a true "suicide lead". With Latias in OU (and Latios in Suspect) it becomes much more rewarding to play a bulky offense style. It's now very common for teams to have 2+ Steels and 2+ Dragons, which is a winning strategy. Stall is rare but still viable; Latias is good for stall in that she's the best Infernape counter ever, but bad for stall in that she can crush a stall team if Blissey goes down.
Ok, thanks a lot.

Advanced Interface? There's Basic, Standard, and Enhanced Interfaces to choose from, and if you have the Enhanced or Standard Interfaces, it should have that button... Perhaps you could post a screenshot of what your text box looks like?
I can't, I have no idea how :P. Anyways, CardoftheHearts screenshot was exactly how mine used to look like, but now, it doesn't. I can compare right now, lemme copy+paste...

The top-right icon in the "Message" box is the Editor Mode.

Try clicking on that so that it's selected. That should get you your "Microsoft Word" feel.
See where it has the smilie box at the top? Mine says Colors there. You know how there are arrows next to the box at the very right (the boxed one)? Those arrows moved all the way over and is next to two arrows which is next to smilies which is next to Colors. IDK, but I do remember that is used to look like that.

I can't, I have no idea how :P. Anyways, CardoftheHearts screenshot was exactly how mine used to look like, but now, it doesn't. I can compare right now, lemme copy+paste...

See where it has the smilie box at the top? Mine says Colors there. You know how there are arrows next to the box at the very right (the boxed one)? Those arrows moved all the way over and is next to two arrows which is next to smilies which is next to Colors. IDK, but I do remember that is used to look like that.
So... Does it look more like this one?

If you mean it literally looks like CotH's picture, but with only those missing icons, then it's most likely your browser/computer.

I think the only reason would be for double battle (where Dark Void sleeps both opponents).

I heard from someone a long while ago that Razor Fang boosts the power of elemental (and poison) fang moves. I didn't really think it was true, but never tried to verify it. So, that's not true, right?

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
I think the only reason would be for double battle (where Dark Void sleeps both opponents).

I heard from someone a long while ago that Razor Fang boosts the power of elemental (and poison) fang moves. I didn't really think it was true, but never tried to verify it. So, that's not true, right?
Thats not true, Razor Fang only boosts flinch chance.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Yeah i'm using it for doubles. Where is a trainer that has a pokemon with ice punch?
~Star Fox
I think the best way to get moves with Smeargle is with a friend on wi-fi. Dont rely on wild pokemons, they can use another move like Leer or something and you screwed your smeargle.

I think the best way to get moves with Smeargle is with a friend on wi-fi. Dont rely on wild pokemons, they can use another move like Leer or something and you screwed your smeargle.
I tried that and it didn't work but I found a way that does. Go in a double battle and have the pokemon with the move you want smeargle to learn on your team, use the move than sketch it.
~Star Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)