Are you afraid of Spiders?

Intro:

Woo Gen 6 early game, so many new toys and fun things to abuse. When sticky web was first discovered many debates over how broken it would be were had; this was Pre Defog buff announcement however. With the hype around Sticky Web having worn off, I felt like making a team to abuse it. So far Heavy Offense based around Sticky web with Lucario has been my most successful playstyle in the meta prior to the Round 1 bans that will likely hit soon.

Teambuilding Process (updating with sprites chill):

Ze sticky web lead.

Obligatory spinblocker

Spinner to nullify other sticky web leads

Rotom-W checks a lot of threats for the team

Lucario Was added to abuse sticky web
<sprite to come>
Talonflame helps revenge kill threats the team can't counter or check defensively.

In Depth:

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Sticky Web

An extremely good lead equipped with just the right abilities and movepool, Galvantula is the best setter of sticky web that isn't complete Taunt bait or hardwalled by 99% of the meta. Unnerve lets Galvantula troll Custap leads, 2hkoing the standard custap variants of Skarmory, Forretress, and Crustle. Unnerve also blocks Lum Berry curing paralysis, or stupid harvest Trevanent.

EVs and IVs speak for themselves, Thunderbolt and Bug Buzz give decent coverage together while Thunderwave lets me cripple threatening things to the team that would otherwise set up on Galvantula such as Lum DDnite.

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Gengar is still an extremely good spinblocker in its regular form, and retains the use of levitate and leftovers to better abuse substitute. Unfortunately Excadrill can destroy Gengar on the switch, however Forretress seldom carries Gyro Ball now. I chose Gengar as my spinblocker primarily because I wanted to run Mega Lucario and didn't want to run Ice Punch as coverage, so Gengar can abuse Gliscor and Lando-T switchins as setup opportunities to get behind a sub or do enough damage that Lucario can Punch thru after a SD.

IVs and EVs are standard as usual, Sludge Wave is required now due to the addition of Fairies and Bulletproof, and it can't be run with Disable due to the nature of how it learns Sludge Wave.

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill lets me get rid of Hazards and counter Opposing Sticky Web teams. Excadrill is easily the best rapid spinner bar Mega Blastoise, and with Mold Breaker can nearly always get up Stealth Rocks. Admittedly I rarely ever find time to set up SR in this meta, but Excadrill can do it as well as any other due to the number of switches it can force with a free entry Balloon intact. Mold Breaker is required to spin without Sand Support as otherwise Gengar or Rotom-W will gleefully switch in and start their shenanigans.

IVs and EVs are standard, and I chose Adamant for the punch since I have Sticky Web support. Edgequake is the best coverage Excadrill can get, and keeps it from being complete Talonflame bait.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W is just amazing in this new meta, checking a lot of the new threats like Talonflame, Aegislash, Greninja leads. Rotom-W is the glue for the team, pivoting against the majority of the threats that force out my sweepers. Defensive is much better in the Meta for Rotom-W as it isn't required to sponge insane amounts of Rain Boosted Hydros or Hurricanes with 100% accuracy. Unfortunately Rotom-W is OHKOed 100% with SR vs +1 Mega Gyarados, so that usually has to be revenge killed.

Moveset is le standard, Since this Pokebank OU Rotom-W doesn't need to run restochesto and can run painsplit instead allowing him to be a thorn in the side of things that normalally 2hko him like Noivern while also getting damage in during the process.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Of the Mega EVos not likely to land in Banland, Lucario is definitely the most threatening. Think your Hippodown can deal with Lucario?
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 398-470 (94.76 - 111.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
I think not.

Sticky Web support allows me to run Adamant Nature, and subsequently run Crunch more reliably since it will actuallly have a chance to OHKO Aegislash, assuming it doesn't King's Shield. Crunch requires less support than Ice punch since it is forced out by only 2 pokemon, those being Lando-T and Gliscor who both can't take repeated punishment. Bullet punch rounds off the coverage and kills most faster resists after SR, namely Latios (lol, fairies) and Gengar. Lando-T and Gliscor are near Hardwalled by Gengar if they don't run Stone Miss.

EV's and IVs are standard.

Talonflame @ Flying Gem
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Talonflame is the only Gen 6 Pokemon for the team, and it definitely earned it's spot. I lean on Talonflame to check/revenge so many things its not even funny. Keldeo, Mega Gyarados, Volcarona, Blaziken, Mega Gengar; those are just a few of the many monsters that would 6-0 the team if I didn't have Talonflame. Right now there are too many broken things to reliably counter/check them defensively, so Revenge killing is the name of the game for the time being.

Moveset and IVs/EVs are pretty standard, just Enough speed to outrun +nature Base 100-101s like Jirachi and Thundurus-T who would otherwise stop a +2 Talonflame rather Easily. SR number and max power for the rest of the EVs. Acro-SD Is mildly less powerful than Banded Bravebird without being move locked or taking recoil, and still allows for setup.

rate 'n hate

Importable:

Code:
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Sticky Web

Gengar @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Talonflame @ Flying Gem
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Last edited:
I had fun with this one:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-59910818

That being said, you seem to lack solid counters to dragons. Having no Ice/Fairy moves is very dangerous.

Also, you mention using Gengar as a spinblocker, but many teams are just carrying a Pokemon with Defog, which can't be blocked. Speaking of Defog, it completely puts a stop to Sticky Web shenanigans, although I guess there's not much you can do about that.

Reactions: Jec
Very solid team. I'm curious, what is your rank? The only suggestion I would make is to put ExtremeSpeed over Bullet Punch. It has arguably better coverage than Bullet Punch, and is just as strong. Good luck, and have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)