1. The moderators of this forum are shade, Blazade, GatoDelFuego, and vonFiedler.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Applying to college

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by xenu, Sep 27, 2013.

1. eaglehawk

eaglehawk once known as smogon gay baby #4

Comments/Questions on "John":
    - "Pretty good recs" from reputable teachers isn't really enough to justify that they wrote a good letter for him personally, and given that he most likely waived his right to see his teacher's recommendation, there's no way to judge the quality of the recommendation. A strong barometer of how good of a recommendation a teacher wrote for you is participation in the classroom and interaction with professors outside of the classroom.

- What are his AP scores? 4's and 5's would be a strong indicator of a strong contestant for an admission spot.

- The UW 3.43 really kills him when measured against the top-tier schools (esp. Michigan and Cornell).

- A more precise definition of "one of the best high schools in MA" would be nice (general range of ranking i.e. top 5, top 10, top 15, etc.)

- Did he ask for his PI (primary investigator) for a letter of recommendation? Those can carry a large amount of weight, especially since he did research for 2 years on lung cancer.

- Was he good at swimming on his team or was he "just there"? If he was good enough to compete in County championships, then he's somewhere near NCAA Division III. Not that it matters anymore, since rarely will a team have any open spots come time for regular decision (unless you really sweet talk the coach into putting in a good word for you).

- Yeah, Northeastern really has stepped up their admissions profile in recent years.

- Did he submit his academic paper as a supplement for his application? I know a couple of schools like seeing the fruit of a student's research.

- Most importantly, I don't really know the quality of his essays. For some schools, it's a big game changer; for others, it's a facade. That's one factor I can't really help with.

Comments on acceptance:
    Boston University: 66%
    - Definitely exceeds testing standards, class rank puts everything up in the air. The deferment from Northeastern makes me hesitant to put out a higher percentage.

Brown University: 2.8%
    - Test-wise, he's above the 75th percentile, but given the Cornell rejection, which I'd assume is ED, he doesn't stand too tall in class rank

Swarthmore College: 11%
    - Swarthmore is built on Quaker values, which means they're big on volunteering. However, donating to a food bank =/= volunteering at a food bank. This number is an optimistic estimate. Also, it's a bit hard to find profile data to measure against for you, but it seems like that unweighted GPA is gonna be an anchor for your friend

Drexel University: 89%
    - I'd almost push it to a high 90% chance
    - Although he's below the avg. unweighted GPA (3.56), he has taken classes that are more rigorous and will be looked upon favorably by admissions.
    - ACT 35 is practically at the 85th - 95th percentile of Drexel applicants.

Oberlin College: 42%
    - His UW GPA is well under Oberlin's average (3.7), but his AP courseload and mastery in subject tests should help him in admissions. Also, the avg. weighted GPA of Oberlin admits is a solid 4.0. If his school does 4.0+ and he has that, then the unweighted situation isn't as big of an issue.
    - 35 is above middle 50% (30 - 33).
    - Based on his credentials so far, he seems like a solid middle-of-the-pack applicant to Oberlin.

University of Southern California: 37%
    - UW GPA well below both applicant and admitted GPAs (3.57 and 3.82, respectively)
    - ACT score a bit above middle 50% (31 - 34)
    - Your friend is competing against California schools (one of the best public education systems in the U.S.)
    - Personally, I wouldn't recommend USC because you're paying Ivy League tuition for a curriculum you could get down the road at UCLA (or Boston / Northeastern)
    - Asian hunnies down at USC are ratchet af (personal experience)

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill: 39%
    - ACT is above top end of middle 50% by two points
    - Frankly speaking, I really don't know how to actually describe UNC since I rarely work with students who apply there (or who think of applying there but end up axing the school from their final pool altogether)
    - Good portion of admits are at the top 10% of their class (78%). Assuming that 3.43 UW means that he probably isn't, that means that his GPA will be the hole in the armor.

Carnegie Mellon University: 32%
    - Why did he apply to CMU if he's probably going bio track? These assumptions are based off of Mellon College of Science (since most of the college he applied to were for biology)
    - Above ACT avg. by one point
    - Well below CMU's unweighted GPA (3.87)
    - Not a preferred choice imo

This is as far as I will go. I know that these percentages seem largely arbitrary, but these are my betting odds based on his admissions, deferments, and rejections. If you want an in-depth estimate similar to the ones above (or more), please PM me Drangonn.
    Drangonn. likes this.
  2. Kumiho

Kumiho

Got into my first choice, UNC-Chapel Hill! Now just waitin to see if I get into East Carolina's Honors College before making a decision. I can't leave all that money on the table if I get in.
  3. eaglehawk

I'll be frank with you. Even if East Carolina gives you a full ride, the UNC-Chapel Hill degree carries a much larger weight when applying to jobs (better networks, better connections). Some schools like Eastern Carolina will throw large amounts of money for students well above their standard deviation to attract them, even if it's an Honors College. In my honest opinion, you're better off sticking with UNC-Chapel Hill, even if it costs you a little more out of pocket.

Furthermore, assuming that you're a U.S. citizen, you can apply for Federal financial aid, which can kick up quite a bit of money depending on your family's income bracket. Also, since you're going into the second semester of your senior year, you undoubtedly will start feeling "senioritis", where most of your second semester grades don't really matter anymore. Frankly speaking, that free time you have can be used to apply to outside scholarships. Although some scholarships may only offer $500-$1,000 for a single academic year, the more you apply to, the higher chance of you racking in more than one funding source. I'd assume that if you have the credentials to get into UNC, you undoubtedly will have a very good chance at racking in scholarship money from external sources.
  4. Kumiho

Kumiho

Yea, honestly I really want to go to UNC, but my mother doesn't want me to be burdened with too much debt down the line and is very eager to jump at any chance I can get at receiving large amounts of aid. My family income is in what I'd guess you'd call a sweet spot, where we aren't upper class but we don't make enough to qualify for a huge amount of aid.

I also don't mind applying for loans, but I don't quite understand how they work. I'm just very paranoid I wouldn't be able to pay them on time or something like that. Could you please explain to me how they work, I'm assuming there are different types and they all function differently?

I'm majoring in Nursing, if that gives you a better grasp of how well I'd be able to pay off debt.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  5. eaglehawk

https://fafsa.ed.gov/

The website is pretty straightforward. It's a step-by-step forms that your parents will also have to fill out their tax information. They've streamlined it in recent years where your parents only need to input their Social Security number and the site will cross-reference it for their tax returns.

The government provides two different types of loans: unsubsidized and subsidized. One will accrue interest over time, while the other doesn't (think of it as a scholarship). Furthermore, income isn't the sole determining factor for financial aid awards. Other factors, such as number of dependents, geographical region, etc. also factor in when determining the optimal amount of money for you.
    Kumiho likes this.
  6. Carrier

Carrier

I'd say Case is probably the answer for both, or at least worth a closer look. They put much more emphasis on test scores than GPA, and their scholarships to my knowledge don't really discern between in-state and out-of-state.
    Drangonn. likes this.
  7. shade

shade i'm so mean i make medicine sick
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributor
    Social Forums Leader

just got accepted to study MSc Climate Change :pimp:

lookin forward to being a student again
    brightobject, barton, Bad Ass and 6 others like this.
  8. Robert Alfons

Robert Alfons ACAB
    is a Tiering Contributor

cant believe ur studying something that isnt real lol :p

source: breitbart.com
  9. PoliLoco

PoliLoco

Got into Syracuse University for Architecture! Yay!
    EDIT: Going to Cuse :L
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Aragorn the King and eaglehawk like this.
  10. hyw

hyw

Hello everybody!

I was accepted to the University of Edinburgh for Biochemistry today and am wondering whether anyone has any insight regarding schools in the UK. I am from New York and applied to a number of schools through UCAS without having truly understood what life is like for people who travel abroad from the US to study at schools in Europe.

As of now, I am waiting to hear back from schools in the US and am taking a closer look at schools of foreign lands in the meantime, hence my post here.

If anyone is familiar with this path, I would love to hear your experiences or thoughts. Thanks! xD
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  11. brightobject

brightobject H3110 F3110W K1D5
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Brown interview tomorrow, wondering if anyone could give me some helpful tidbits on the school that might make me look well '.' i chose history as my top concentration and environmental science as my second
    Shrug likes this.
  12. Drangonn.

Drangonn.

Hey

Brown asks a crapload of questions on personality (i.e. what do you do w/ friends, free time, etc), and a few questions on why brown and why your major. Most important is be honest and don't be boring. Also mention pretty campus and diversity.
    PoliLoco likes this.
  13. eaglehawk

Mention how left-leaning Brown is relative to the other Ivies
  14. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Bloodlust~
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I've been accepted to UW :D not as amazing as some of the other posts here but I'm pretty ecstatic! Thanks for all your help!
  15. JTD783

JTD783

Congrats! If you happen to attend there then I think you'll enjoy it. One of my friends is a freshman there and she's loving it. Hopefully the price is reasonable for you; UW and similar schools are often 50K a year which is nuts.

I was fortunate enough to get accepted to all the UC schools I applied to: San Diego, Santa Barbara, Irvine, and Los Angeles. I also got regent scholarships at UCI and UCSB. I'm leaning towards those but UCLA would be fantastic if it's affordable. Otherwise I'm waiting to hear from Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford but I really don't expect to get in there. I have other options in small private schools but most are so expensive that even with my award of their maximum merit-based scholarships they aren't looking optimal.

When it comes to receiving "need-based" scholarships, apparently life's not all that easy for the blonde-haired, blue-eyed, middle class, stable household, non-refugee/cancer survivor/rape victim, straight white male. There must be something inherently wrong with my skin color/sexual identity/etc to not be considered for finiancial aid, but try explaining that to the "tolerant" folk who give scholarships to everyone that looks different than me since I'm "privileged". A lot of kids do have serious need, and sadly the kids at my school who have no real issues but are a minority in some way receive the same rewards. Ultimately the money that they "need" (I personally know plenty that don't) comes from my pocket since my tuition is raised to cover for them. This is sort of a rant but I'm not mad, just disappointed that some people still consider social prejudice as much as actual quality. All I want is a fair chance.

Edit: Some of those make it easy to get scholarships, but they all make it easier to get admitted in the first place. It's messed up. Also, UW, U of Oregon, Colorado Boulder, U of Arizona, U of Alabama are all at least 50K for out-of-state applicants unless scholarships are given; I've had this confirmed several times. Even with academic scholarships I would have had to pay 40K or higher for U of Arizona.

If anyone here is freaking out about acceptance, trust me you aren't alone. A lot of my friends, and most of my senior class, is in a panic since their letters/emails are taking forever to come and have been denied from many of their top choices. There's also a lot of pressure from parents (especially those of a few ethnicities) since many have a "UC or we disown you" attitude which is really hard on kids. The reality is that if you work hard and make good connections via friends/businesses/clients/etc, life tends work out. There's always a place in the world for someone that is motivated, organized, and dedicated. My advice is to keep your hope up and try not to stress too much.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  16. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Bloodlust~
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Luckily I'll be paying in-state tuition so it won't be nearly as much, especially since I'll probably live at home after my first year. Also UW is not 50k even for out-of-state I don't think, I think it's more like 30k - 35k

Also yeah scholarships can be hard, outside of a few minority-based scholarships though I don't feel like race / sexuality play a huge role? At least if there are gay-only scholarships lmk xD. Mainly I find they either want you to be very low-income, be super community-involved, or be incredibly smart... I'm none of the above so I'm kinda fucked x_x

And also, congrats on your acceptance! That's crazy cool and you should be very proud :) Good prepping / work on your part to have so many great options!
    JTD783 likes this.
  17. eaglehawk

Have you tried applying to third-party scholarships?
  18. JTD783

JTD783

I'm looking into some of those. Right now I'm planning to apply for scholarships from NESA (National Eagle Scout Association) and my dad's company, the latter of which can award like $5000 per year iirc. I have options and that is something I'm very grateful for.
  19. Ununhexium

Ununhexium dog
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Hi I just remembered this thread existed and decided "hey why not bring it back up"

So for you who don't know me I'm a cookie cutter upper middle class white kid from New Hampshire. My SAT scores are 710 math 690 reading (hopefully those go up Saturday), my unweighted GPA is 3.75 I'm in the top 10% of my class, got 4s on the AP Physics 1 and AP Chemistry tests (also currently in AP Physics 2 and AP Calc, and I've done 3 seasons of sports for 4 years (was XC captain twice and winter track this coming winter), math team member and current captain, I competed in our states FinLit competition, am senior class president, did an internship this past spring at a scientific research company, and a few other smaller things I'm probably forgetting.

I intend to pursue chemical engineering

I'm applying to:
    UNH
    UML
    WPI
    Clarkson
    U of Rochester
    Bucknell
    Lehigh
    Lafayette
    Villanova
    Stevens Institute of Technology

I was just wondering what some of you thought my chances are at some of the schools on my list

Thanks!
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    PoliLoco and marilli like this.
  20. danilo

danilo
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

anyone considering applying to oberlin can hit me up.
    Shrug likes this.
  21. Shrug

Shrug Sexuall Posts
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

^ same for me and williams
  22. Aragorn the King

Aragorn the King Do you feel cold and lost in desperation?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

ditto with Vassar
  23. Ununhexium

Ununhexium dog
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Also I know it's a bit late to add more colleges but in any of your opinions would RPI and SUNY Binghamton be good schools to add to this list

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)