Other Metagames Anything Goes - Judgment of the Icy Gods

jdg.png

I made that banner
Hi, dsm77773 here. So as you probably know there's an AG mini-tour currently going on. Zangooser (somehow) convinced me to join, so I started playing AG again. I won't lie, the only reason I built this is the tour. I lost in Round1 2-0 vs. dusk raimon because I suck at playing Pokémon, but:
★We are Raimon high:And his team is good
So I guess the team isn't that bad.
It's build around a forgotten Arceus form: Arceus-Ice. Unlike Arceus-Bug or Arceus-Fighting, Arceus-Ice is viable (C-ranked in the VR) and can be put into work when given the right support. Ice is a very cool typing and one of my favorites (second to Dragon) and it's color pallette it's just awesome.

Obviously started the team with Arceus-Ice as a cool CM sweeper.

First step: I need something that can cover Arceus-Ice's plethora of weaknesses, and a Defogger to solve its weakness to Stealth Rock. Arceus-Steel covers all of Ice's weaknesses bar Fire (and the non-existent Fighting types) and works as a Defogger.

Next I need a Stealth Rock setter of my own. Primal Groudon is the best SR setter in AG and covers the team's weakness to Fire.

Anyone who has ever played Pokémon had probably realized the HUGE weakness to Primal Groudon at this point. The most obvious answer? Add Primal Kyogre. But that would make me really weak to Darkrai, and Klefki to some extent, as minimum 4 members of the team can't hold a Lum Berry. At the same time I noticed why Arceus-Steel isn't commonly used as a Defogger despite its bulk and good defensive typing: it loses to the most common setter in AG (read: Primal Groudon). Latias is not a great mon in AG, but can soft check Primal Groudon and Defog, it also helps with Primal Kyogre.

The team was still weak to Darkrai. Holding a Lum, E-killer Arceus joined the team as a Darkrai check.

Still felt weak to Darkrai and Klefki.

The team felt complete to me, but the last slot was still free. Xerneas was just kinda thrown in there, but has good synergy with the team, provides a terrifying sweeper and a secondary wincon.

The Team Preview

Under the Zoom Lens

Arceus-Ice @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Judgment
Calm Mind
Thunder
Recover

The star of the show. I won't claim Arceus-Ice is the best mon in AG or anything, but can be put into work. The metagame lacks Ice resists (the relevant ones being Arceus-Water, Kyogre and Kyogre-Primal, Klefki, and Arceus-Steel), while a good number of common threats are weak to it: Arceus-Ground, Giratina and Giratina-O, Landorus, Lugia, Mega Rayquaza, Shaymin-Sky, Yveltal and Zekrom. Of those resists, Arceus-Water and both Kyogre and Primal Kyogre are smacked by Thunder.
However, Arceus-Ice lacks resistances to set Calm Mind so it has to rely on sheer bulk to take hits while boosting and has a lot of nasty weaknesses. Access to Recover somewhat mitigates the first issue though.
Arceus-Ice should be saved until the late-game when its checks and counters are removed, allowing it to set Calm Mind and sweep.

Judgment is the mandatory STAB and it's very spammable due to the tier having little resists, no common Ice-type threat to prepare for, and quite a lot of Pokémon weak to it.
Calm Mind allows Arceus-Ice to sweep while getting more specially bulky (something really appreciated).
Thunder forms a BoltBeam combo with Judgment, having both moves unresisted coverage in AG. Thunder over Thunderbolt for the extra power, notably 2HKOing Ho-Oh (which otherwise you lose to even with Thunderbolt), not to mention it has perfect accuracy against its main targets, Kyogre and Primal Kyogre.
Recover is recovery: lets you boost while taking hits and makes wearing down Arceus-Ice a bit more difficult.

Max Speed to tie with other Arceus formes, HP EVs for extra bulk and a Stealth Rock number. Leftover EVs go to Special Attack.

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 160 HP / 52 Def / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
Draco Meteor
Defog
Roost
Psyshock

Another uncommon sight in AG despite the Soul Dew, although more used than Arceus-Ice, obviously. Latias usually fits on teams needing a Defogger that can check Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre in a pinch, thus, it fits here. However, it's only a soft check to both of them, for example, it takes around 48% from a Primal Kyogre's Ice Beam (while doing about the same in return), so a crit or high rolls might lead to the 2HKO.
Latias's job is to Defog in Primal Groudon's face to support Arceus-Ice, also covers the latter's Fire weakness. She's not useless after succesfully Defogging, as stated above she can soft check the Primals and other threats due to her great special bulk with Soul Dew and Roost. Meanwhile, this very same item allows her to pack quite a punch. Soul Dew is very useful, never ever let Latias being hit by Knock Off (surprisingly uncommon in AG).

Draco Meteor, just like in OU, it's a powerful nuke that forces you out after using it.
Defog is Latias's main move. It removes hazards.
Roost is recovery to keep on taking in Pokémon and Defogging.
Psyshock is a reliable secondary STAB, as it hits on the physical side, it's nice against specially bulky stuff such as Primal Kyogre and Ho-Oh.

The Speed EVs and the Nature let Latias to outpace positive-natured max Speed 100 bases (such as Mega Kangaskhan) and below. 120 Special Attack EVs allow Latias to 2HKO offensive Primal Kyogre with Psyshock and 2HKOes Primal Groudon that lack significant Special Defense investment. The defensive investment means Latias can tank Dragon Claws from Primal Groudon.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Atk / 216 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stealth Rock
Fire Punch
Precipice Blades
Roar

Hands down to the best Stealth Rock setter in the game. At the same time, Primal Groudon can check a large portion of the metagame, including E-killer Arceus and Xerneas, so it's hard to justify not giving a spot on your team to this beast. If that's not enough for you, Roar disrupts Baton Pass chains and ruins boosting, especially Xerneas; and both of its STABs hit really hard even with only 36 Attack EVs.
Primal Groudon is also an excellent addition to support your Arceus-Ice. It offers a Steel and a Fire resistance, and it can destroy Rock-types with a super-effective STAB Precipice Blades.

Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock. You all know why you need it on any team.
Fire Punch is a reliable STAB boosted by the harsh sunshine, becoming really powerful despite its average 75BP.
Precipice Blades if you want even more power at the cost of accuracy, offers good coverage alongside Fire Punch.
Roar stops boosting and Baton Pass and shuffles the opposing team, forcing them to take Stealth Rock damage.

Stole this spread (well actually the whole set) from Joshz and it works wonders (not even the first time I copy it). Those 36 Attack EVs and the Adamant Nature allows it to OHKO most other Primal Groudons (as in AG you see a lot of Primal Groudon and E-killer dittos). 20 Speed EVs speed creeps other defensive Primal Groudons as well. Rest is just bulk.

Arceus @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Swords Dance
Extreme Speed
Shadow Claw
Earthquake

The Pokémon God really deserves its title as the very best Pokémon in AG. It's not something that must be on any team, but you end up giving a slot to E-killer Arceus due to it being extremely splashable. It has everything it needs; 120 stats cross the board for speed, power and bulk; a good movepool featuring Extreme Speed; the ability to hold Lum...
Standard E-killer meant to sweep, revenge kill and beat Darkrai and Klefki to some extent. On a pinch, it can tank some strong hits from unboosted Xerneas, Primal Groudon and the like, so you can try to set up on those if you've got balls, not recommended though.
On E-killer dittos, use Swords Dance and then either attack or SD again depending on your opponent's own choices: if he/she SD, follow up with Extreme Speed for the 2HKO (you can try to set up a second SD but then if you lose the speed tie there's no reward, at least this way you get an almost guaranteed over 60% damage on the enemy Arceus); if he/she chooses to Extreme Speed you (unboosted Extreme Speed does around 30% damage) use Swords Dance again and then go and try to sweep his/her whole team.
E-killer fits well on this team as it fits well on 99% of the good AG teams anyway, as it's checks and counters are beaten by it's teammates: Yveltal falls to Arceus-Ice, while Primal Groudon can check opposing E-killer Arceus (not without taking a lot of damage from a boosted Earthquake though) and owns Skarmory.

Swords Dance is here for potential sweeps.
Extreme Speed is the set's main move, because really, you just can't go wrong with a 120BP (after STAB) +2 priority move.
Earthquake 2HKOes bulky Primal Groudons after a boost, so they can switch in.
Shadow Claw for that moment when the foe sends a Giratina against E-killer thinking it's a safe switch in. It's not.

Pretty straightforward, max Attack and max Speed to hit hard and fast. Jolly is needed to speed tie on the aforementioned Arceus dittos.

Arceus @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Swords Dance
Extreme Speed
Stone Edge
Earthquake

When a Pokémon is extremely splashable and there's no Species Clause, you might find yourself putting more than one on your team. Arceus is just so useful with it's bulk, power, speed and most importantly, it's sweeping potential, that it's worth having two of them in your squad. As Arceus provides that much to a team but it only soft checks the Devilish Haxer Swagkeys and Darkrai, why not having a second E-killer to fall back to if the first one is KOed? Not much else to say (well, write) as I explained everything above.

Swords Dance is again for potential sweeps.
Extreme Speed is the main move of the set, priority and STAB.
Stone Edge gets rid of Ho-Oh and does more damage to Skarmory and Yveltal than Shadow Claw, notably dealing with offensive variants of Yveltal (without Foul Play) at +2.
Earthquake works as on the other E-killer

Read above, max Attack and max Speed to hit hard and fast, and Jolly is needed to speed tie on the aforementioned Arceus dittos.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
Geomancy
Moonblast
Thunder
Focus Blast

Xerneas, the great sweeper. It just works as a Belly Drummer, that uses special attacks instead. You should find the right opportunity to set up as if you try it a second time you'll have to waste a turn absorbing power, which most of the time means you're screwed. However, as long as Roar or Whirlwind are nowhere close, you'll find yourself setting up early and using Xerneas as a holepuncher when playing with this team, allowing either one of the E-killers or it's fellow Arceus-Ice to blast through the opposing team.

Geomancy is a single-use, high-risk high-reward set up move.
Moonblast is the main STAB and hits ridiculously hard thanks to Fairy Aura.
Thunder smacks Primal Kyogre and Ho-Oh.
Focus Blast rounds out the coverage. It hits Ferrothorn and other miscellaneous Steel-types hard, and Primal Groudon.

Standard EVs spread although it looks weird if you don't know what it is meant to accomplish. Modest and max Special Attack is obviously to hit as hard as possible. 44 Speed EVs make Xerneas faster than Choice Scarf Genesect after a Geomancy boost. 28 Defense EVs give Genesect an undesired Special Attack boost with Download and, when combined with the 184 HP EVs, they allow Xerneas to always survive a +2 standard E-Killer Arceus's Extreme Speed after Stealth Rock damage.

Shoutouts
Joshz Zangooser dusk raimon and the rest of the AG community
thdhted jordanthejq12 AnybodyAgrees I like donkeys michaeloche clj555
The Other Metas Room

You know the drill, I've forgotten you? Then PM me, you won't will be added (maybe)

Threatlist

I "only" have two Lum Berries in the team, so Darkrai can come in on anything not named Arceus-Normal and threaten with sleep or force 50/50s with Dark Void and Nasty Plot. One-on-one, however, it loses to both E-killers and to a boosted Xerneas.

Luck can beat everything if luck it's not on your side. If luck is by your side however, luck can't beat anything.

I lack a Normal resist and my answers to E-killer are worn down rather easily as they lack recovery, so E-killer spam can be really dangerous.

The hidden Chansey
I always hide a Chansey on my RMTs, and this one is no exception.

Importable
http://pastebin.com/a1rLHGTh

Replays

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, this seems like a pretty good team that doesn't need any major changes. First of all, Lava Plume > Fire Punch should help out with Mega Sableye a bit, it's rare but messes with your entire team pretty nicely (don't forget to change to a brave nature!). The other thing is, as weird as it is to say, I don't think you need two Ekillers. You've got one+geoxern+CM iceceus, that ought to be plenty, and like you said Darkrai is a massive pain to this team, as are is offensive Steelceus and opposing Geoxern to an extent. I don't see a great way to get a solid switch into darkrai but Mega Gengar seems like it fits far better here, being able to remove darkrai as long as they lack a sub and check xern for you. Trapping Skarm/Zong could also come in handy, as you're a bit reliant on Groudon/setting up with xerneas for those two.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball / Taunt

This essentially just replaces a strong priority user for a fast Espeed immunity. Still, this team seems really solid, nice one

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, thanks for the shoutout :)

I don't have time for a full rate right now, but one thing I'd suggest is Sleep Talk > Thunder on Xerneas. This allows you to switch in freely on Darkrai, not caring about STAB or anything besides Sludge Bomb. Sleep Talk cannot do 2 turn moves, so you will never get Geomancy, and both Focus Blast and Moonblast easily OHKO Darkrai. It leaves you weaker to Ho-oh, but Thunder can miss and doesn't OHKO it anyways so idt its worth it.

Following that, I'd pop a Life Orb > Lum Berry on the Shadow Claw ekiller variant, because you are less weak to Darkrai and it can help having more power.

Don't have time for anything else, but I love Iceceus glad to see it :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)