Anyone interested in making Gameboy sprites of new pokemon?

I figured I'd do Trapinch and its evo's. What do you guys think?
WAAAYYY too much dithering. RB sprites had some, but not too much on most of the Pokemon. Also, the "white" shade is very gray for some reason, which tones down the contrast too much. The colors themselves seem too subdued--is the palette one of these? I think using green on Flygon would look better if it were the color of Venusaur there. And some of the outlining feels way too jagged.

On the plus side, I like Flygon and Vibrava's poses, even though I wonder if straight-on is such a good idea for Vibrava.

WAAAYYY too much dithering. RB sprites had some, but not too much on most of the Pokemon. Also, the "white" shade is very gray for some reason, which tones down the contrast too much. The colors themselves seem too subdued--is the palette one of these? I think using green on Flygon would look better if it were the color of Venusaur there. And some of the outlining feels way too jagged.

On the plus side, I like Flygon and Vibrava's poses, even though I wonder if straight-on is such a good idea for Vibrava.
Heheheh, yeah these were my first sprites in years so I'm still feeling my way around. The color palette is from the original R/B games here. I think I might redo them later on.

I always liked how grotesque looking they were back then i dont know why...this is so cool I'll probably do an absol and arceus soon o'_'o
its so challenging to only use a limited amount of colours like they did in 8-bit, i tried to make an icon of one of my own characters like that haha

This is totally old, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in making any RB-esque sprites of the new Black and White mons.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Toons stop embarrassing the rest of us who call ourselves spriters.

Hopefully in the future I'll be including this in a mega-project. Stay tuned!

Inspiration struck.

I know it isn't necessarily RBY style in sprite shape, but I couldn't resist having Desukaan reaching out to you like a mummy.

BTW, great Dokkora line Cartoons!

CARTOONS I HATE YOU AHHHH

(but Roopushin is really obscured.. I understand it's for effect but maybe make it's body slightly more noticable?)

Genoseketo I dunno.

heh, no fair using more than two colours on the mummy pre-evo, Tort. Nice idea making Desukaan all about the creepy arms, though.

Big-headed Genosekto fits in just perfect with the rest of RB's bulbous cast. It's...actually quite cute!

I guess I overdid it with the black shadowing, but I really just wanted to emphasize the pillars. That there's a monster hiding behind them is almost incidental. I wouldn't want to have to tackle the backsprites of this family though...

That's also a pretty good example of an RB Chatot, Miilanda. Had you made any others?

Thanks. (:
Sadly no. I have tried a few times to make some but they all failed. This Chatot just turned out pretty good which I didn't expected.
I was thinking to try a Erufuun. Maybe I should just give it a try..

edit:
Okay here is the Erufuun I tried.

I'm not really satisfied about his hair, though..

Oh, that's cool, Bynine. Can't be the easiest thing to pose and fit into the set dimensions.

Not bad, Miilanda, but I also think the hair could use some work. Maybe you could make the torso black, as in the Oddish line, so you can free up all of your hues to give the fluff some depth?

breh

強いだね

Well... I like Hahakurimo.

Is this okay? I know shading is off as hell.

It took sooo damn long to get it to the correct size height-wise, lol

The Unown RBY sprite is very, very unstylish. It looks like it's from DPPt, just with a bit less shading. There's a cartoony style to RBY which your sprite sort of lacks.

The same goes for Hahakurimo; also, there should be some white highlighting.

breh

強いだね
The Unown RBY sprite is very, very unstylish. It looks like it's from DPPt, just with a bit less shading. There's a cartoony style to RBY which your sprite sort of lacks.

The same goes for Hahakurimo; also, there should be some white highlighting.

How could I add to its stylishness exactly? if I make its head a few pixels bigger, it won't fit on the 64/64 canvas.

I would like shading help; I know that I'm far from good on it (causing my bug to look a bit flat)

RBY sprites, by and by large, are not just standing looking at you in a boring pose. They're doing something.

I could go on.

As you can see, these sprites are more deformed than their DPPt counterparts, and have more action in their poses. All of their more discerning features (usually the head, but also Hitmonchan's arms, Machop's biceps, etc.) are increased in size. Not to mention they use all four colours in their shading; white, light color, dark color, and black. You're simply using two colors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)