ORAS OU Anti meta Kyurem-B (peaked 1794 recently)

Intro:

Hello! This is actually at least one and half year old team which has been really fun to use and has peaked high many times (the highest around 1800). I was originally going to post this team here a year ago as an unbeatable team (30 wins, 0 losses) but somebody on showdown said that nobody would like to rate such a new team (also, people would have gotten to know my team and I didn't want that back then) so here it is finally. It has a long history and has had dozens of team member changes but there's still a lot to improve so I hope you guys could help me to make it even better! This is also my first rmt so please show much love to it!

original team:

The team as of now:

Deeper look:

Slot 1:

Cobalion @ Air Balloon
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

This Cobalion set is originally from my very successful UU team. Its speed and bulk makes it a great support pokemon. I have been trying to figure out somebody to replace this poke for example Terrakion and Azelf but the main reason I have kept Cobalion on my team is Bisharp which could cause huge problems to my team otherwise. I originally ran lefties but beasts like Landorus-t and Garchomp didn't make it easy for me to get my rocks up early in the game. Balloon lets me stay in and set up my rocks or taunt the opponent if predicting their rocks.

Slot 2:

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Taunt

When I first made this team a year ago, I chose Sableye. It worked really well with rest of the team but I needed something to stop fire types, especially Charizard-Y so I ended up with Talonflame. This bird is usually my win-condition. Taunt is imo the best move in OU, shutting down those irritating stall teams. It also lets me set up on so many pokemons which would without taunting stop my sweep (Heatran's roar and Clefable's t-wave for example). Talonflame also gives me a ground immunity.

Slot 3:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Roar

I needed something really bulky on my team and the obvious choice was mega-venusaur. I have been thinking about replacing him but nobody shuts keldeo and azumarill down as well as he does. pretty standard set at least I think it is so that's pretty much it.

Slot 4:

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Ok, so I needed a spinner. After choosing all the moves I realized I only had attacking moves so the obvious choice for item was assault vest. This set turned out to be absolutely PERFECT. Let me explain. A year ago when I created the team, ruling megas were mega-gardevoir and mega-Diancie (or maybe little later but anyways). Excadrill can take a compo of rocks, hyper voice and hp fire from timid mega-gardevoir or rocks,moonblast and earth power from mega-diancie and OK them in return. Nobody used AV excadrill back then so nobody didn't expect it and always stayed in thinking excadrill would die. Also, scarf being the most used item on excadrill outside of sand, it's easy to fake my poke to be scarfed too. I really love mindgames xD.

Slot 5:

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Protect

This is the set I'm most proud of! Originally I used normal kyurem then my super antimeta dragonite (I don't wanna tell its set because I'm planning to use it again soon in other teams, lol) and then to kyurem-black. The original idea for this slot was to have an ability which is activated when switching in. This only to tell if landorus-t is scarfed or not. Also to have protect to scout scarfed lando, attack to one shot lando, and out-speed non scarfed max speed lando. Kyurem was perfect choice for all of this. The reason why I changed to dragonite at one point was to have more fire resistances even though dragonite didn't fulfill the other aspects I listed earlier. Let me explain the moves more (Only the not so obvious things): Ice beam with teravolt lets me hit hard mega-venusaur which used to be pain to my team. Toxic with teravolt lets me stop mega-sableye's sweep or just shut it down. Protect is for mega-lopunny and mega-medicham to break their legs when trying to hjk me.

Slot 6:

Ditto @ Custap Berry
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Happines: 252
- Transform
-
-

Ditto was originally scarfed but just a week back I was battling against a very filthy stall team and the opponent's mega-sableye knocked of my item which made me won the battle and realize how good non scarfed ditto actually is. After that I had to figure out new item, something that doesn't reveal I'm not scarfed. Lum berry would also be a viable option but Custap berry just stood out the most. Let's me out-speed late-game sweepers and finish the game. IV's are to get hp ice, Ev's to destroy opposite ditto if it ever comes to that. A while back it was a trend to use frustration over return just because of ditto. That's why I thought 0 happiness ditto would work better but after changing it, every single lopunny I faced had return... so I changed back to 252 actually just before making this post.

Treaths:

Starmie: Especially offensive ones gives me headache since I have nothing to tank its wide movepool.

Latios: Even though Excadrill takes dracos really well it doesn't have way to recover himself + eq/surf is pretty common on latios

Mega-charizard-y: This beast used to be the biggest threat to my team but adding talonflame have helped a little. Still a threat though.

I know there are more but can't think of any right now.

Replays:
Recent one (actually had it in mid of making this rmt):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-447382389
Ditto still scarfed:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-442518852
The original team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-225511211

proof of peak:

peak proof.png

Please rate my team and give suggestions to make it even better. I welcome everything from simple changes to changing max two pokemons. Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT:
I have been trying Tornadus-T instead of Talonflame and for now it seems to work really well giving me a switch-in on Starmie and Latios. Still not sure about the set but I'm trying different ones to find the best fitting. (Set suggestions are welcomed too)

Last edited:
Hi, I promised a rate, so here you go.

Team is certainly unique and can put in work. However, I see a few problems

+
It seems you have a bit of a tough time vs. Ttar + Exca (and maybe ZardY as well) teams that are all over the place, which isn't really a good thing.
Mega Scizor is also slightly problematic because your Talonflame doesn't have Will-O-Wisp or Flare Blitz, though you do have Bulk Up, so you're not 6-0'd (though you will have a bit of a tough time vs. Scizor).
Furthermore, I don't see a way for you to stop enemy Talonflame due to the lack of a bulky Ground-type or a Rock-type.
Finally, Fighting-types will be a big problem for you, because your only answers to them, Kyurem-B and Talonflame, take a ton of damage from trying to switch-in, and the problem is only made worse if Stealth Rocks are set up.
Stall matchup looks slightly difficult due to the fact that Taunt Talonflame is stopped by Sableye, though you do have Kyu-B.

Ditto I guess is technically an answer, though opponent will usually play around Ditto when they see it show up on Team Preview.

And before I begin, I am well aware that some of my sets are pretty normal and you don't seem to be a fan of normal. However, there isn't another way to make the team better -- those sets are overused for a reason.

First suggestion is to put Latios instead of Venusaur. This is because your team is heavily threatened by Mega Charizard Y, and you have a grand total of 0 counterplay vs. it. Latios adds a means of counterplay while also providing a Keldeo switch-in.

Now that we removed Venusaur, we now have to be concerned with Azumarill. I think replacing Coballion with Tangrowth works. This is because Tangrowth can provide a means of checking Azumarill, while also handling Fighting-types and sand. It can also sleep Bisharp, buying you time to take it out.

Excadrill needs to become a bulky Spinner so that it can give you Stealth Rocks for use later in the match -- Assault Vest can't use Stealth Rock.

Replacing Ditto and Kyu-B is always an option, as in some match-ups it won't help you. I didn't want to replace either because you seemed to like them, but it's always an option, and it's probably for the best.

Team isn't perfect and has some weaknesses, but I can't modify the team too heavily, as that's against the rules. It's mostly vs. Flying-spam, as you have few Flying-resists. It's also vs. Fairies (i.e. Mega Gardevoir), as your only Fairy resists, Talonflame and Excadrill, don't resist coverage.
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Surf

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Fire

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Hi, I promised a rate, so here you go.

Team is certainly unique and can put in work. However, I see a few problems

+
It seems you have a bit of a tough time vs. Ttar + Exca (and maybe ZardY as well) teams that are all over the place, which isn't really a good thing.
Mega Scizor is also slightly problematic because your Talonflame doesn't have Will-O-Wisp or Flare Blitz, though you do have Bulk Up, so you're not 6-0'd (though you will have a bit of a tough time vs. Scizor).
Furthermore, I don't see a way for you to stop enemy Talonflame due to the lack of a bulky Ground-type or a Rock-type.
Finally, Fighting-types will be a big problem for you, because your only answers to them, Kyurem-B and Talonflame, take a ton of damage from trying to switch-in, and the problem is only made worse if Stealth Rocks are set up.
Stall matchup looks slightly difficult due to the fact that Taunt Talonflame is stopped by Sableye, though you do have Kyu-B.

Ditto I guess is technically an answer, though opponent will usually play around Ditto when they see it show up on Team Preview.

And before I begin, I am well aware that some of my sets are pretty normal and you don't seem to be a fan of normal. However, there isn't another way to make the team better -- those sets are overused for a reason.

First suggestion is to put Latios instead of Venusaur. This is because your team is heavily threatened by Mega Charizard Y, and you have a grand total of 0 counterplay vs. it. Latios adds a means of counterplay while also providing a Keldeo switch-in.

Now that we removed Venusaur, we now have to be concerned with Azumarill. I think replacing Coballion with Tangrowth works. This is because Tangrowth can provide a means of checking Azumarill, while also handling Fighting-types and sand. It can also sleep Bisharp, buying you time to take it out.

Excadrill needs to become a bulky Spinner so that it can give you Stealth Rocks for use later in the match -- Assault Vest can't use Stealth Rock.

Replacing Ditto and Kyu-B is always an option, as in some match-ups it won't help you. I didn't want to replace either because you seemed to like them, but it's always an option, and it's probably for the best.

Team isn't perfect and has some weaknesses, but I can't modify the team too heavily, as that's against the rules. It's mostly vs. Flying-spam, as you have few Flying-resists. It's also vs. Fairies (i.e. Mega Gardevoir), as your only Fairy resists, Talonflame and Excadrill, don't resist coverage.
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Surf

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Fire

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
Thank you so much for your time and rate! I'm gonna definitely try all the changes you have mentioned at some point. Right now I'm doing so well on the ladder thanks to adding Tornadus-t into the team so I wanna keep going with that and see how far can it go. I was totally amazed how accurate your rate was: yes, I don't really like running standard sets because they are so predicable and not that fun to use but as I said, I'll try the changes and tell you how the team works :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)