SM OU Anchorman (Balance?)

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Another day, another dumb team from Scalchop...

Disclaimer: I am a fraud and have not watched this movie; I just thought it would be a funny name.

Raw team import here

dhelmise-shiny.gif
landorus-therian.gif
tapufini.gif
charizard-mega-x.gif
greninja.gif
magnezone.gif

Alright, I'm not gonna lie to you all. This team is a result of me going to https://randompokemon.com, setting it to generate one Pokémon, and building around whatever came up. In this case, it was the Dhelmise; that's probably the only reason I would've used it in OU. Surprisingly, though, it seems to have more utility than I would've initially thought. With the right investment, it can actually act as a decent check to some of OU's common threats. Non-Z Landorus, Koko, Fini, Garchomp, Serperior, and Zapdos are all consistently checked by it, while Magnezone, Magearna, and Lele can be situationally checked. So I decided to run with it, and this is the result.

dhelmise-shiny.gif

Burgundy (Dhelmise) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 220 HP / 72 SpA / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Might as well start out with the titular set, right? Seeing as it's not even an OU Pokémon, there's a good bit to explain here. Since a good chunk of OU's current threats are special attackers, I figured a specially-defensive spread would be ideal here. 216 Special Defense EVs, in combination with an Assault Vest and a Sassy Nature, allows it to avoid a 2HKO from Psychic on non-Specs Lele, as well as taking 2 Shadow Balls from Timid Mega Alakazam (see calcs below this description). As for the 72 Special Attack EVs, that investment enables it to 2HKO standard defensive Lando with HP Ice even after Leftovers recovery (again, look at the calcs), as well as 2HKO-ing Gliscor and Garchomp unless it's running the tank set. After that, the remaining 220 EVs went into HP to help further its bulk.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 220 HP / 216+ SpD Assault Vest Dhelmise in Psychic Terrain: 118-139 (35.1 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 220 HP / 216+ SpD Assault Vest Dhelmise: 116-138 (34.5 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
72 SpA Dhelmise Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 204-240 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now on to the moves. I went back and forth between Power Whip and EQ for the first slot when I was building - if I choose Earthquake I can't beat Fini, but if I choose Power Whip I can't beat Heatran. As you can see I've decided to stick with Power Whip, especially since I have other Pokémon that can deal with Heatran in their own right. Gyro Ball is a very strong option to deal with the fast offensive threats running around OU, nabbing an OHKO on the aforementioned Lele and Alakazam even with 0 Attack investment thanks to Steelworker. Rapid Spin is handy as another way to annoy Landorus, removing any pesky hazards it may try to set up. And of course, HP Ice was already explained above.

tapufini.gif

Siren (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 136 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt

Now, while I've already mentioned the decent special bulk Dhelmise has with this spread, there are a couple pretty popular special attackers that it certainly CANNOT handle on its own, being Greninja and Heatran. So, I thought, why not balance this defensive "core" by adding something that (usually) walls both of those? The answer: Tapu Fini. Fini is a great check to both Pokémon I just mentioned, hard walling every set except Gunk Shot Gren and Bloom Doom Heatran. The main difference between my set and the standard Fini set is that - since Dhelmise already gives me hazard control - I decided to go with a Calm Mind set instead, just to provide some more offensive pressure. I started with max HP investment so it could already start with a good foundation of bulk. Timid Nature helps it to get more Speed out of lower investment, and with that nature plus the 100 Speed EVs it will outpace Modest max Speed Heatran, avoiding its potential Taunts with a Taunt of its own. 136 Special Defense EVs turns post-transformation AshGren's Hydro Pump into a 4HKO after Leftovers recovery, and I decided to put the remaining 20 EVs into Defense just for slightly more physical bulk (with Calm Mind, 20 more Special Defense EVs don't really matter much). Scald and Moonblast are just standard strong STAB moves, so not much to delve into in that regard.

landorus-therian.gif

Brimley (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Both of the two mons I've mentioned so far, especially Fini, can shut down Toxapex very well on the defensive end. Sadly, however, from an offensive standpoint they can barely scratch it (even +6 Fini does 42% max with Moonblast). Additionally, most of the bulk they provide is on the special side, so a bit more physical bulk was in order. I was also lacking a hazard setter at this point, so I decided to go down the more standard OU route and slap on the best Pokémon in the tier. The set itself is also very standard - basic defensive Rocky Helmet Lando, helping to check Toxapex as well as plenty of physical attackers in the tier. U-turn is especially nice as a momentum creator and an alternative way of pivoting into the team's more offensive threats like the next three members.

charizard-mega-x.gif

Ddraig (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

In an earlier draft of the team, this was added immediately after Fini, but I'm keeping it here to categorize it with the other more offensive members of the team. I had noticed that my two special tanks could still struggle with a few very important mons in the tier, all of which were Steel-types - Ferrothorn, Magearna, and Kartana. To offset this, I decided to start adding some offensive threats to the team and go with a Fire-type, Steel's most common weakness. Zard seemed like an easy pick to me, being quite possibly the scariest Fire-type to face because of the raw damage output it has. It also pretty much neutralizes the threats I just mentioned, OHKO-ing most if not all variants even without a Dragon Dance. Not much to explain about the set, really; it's just standard DD Charizard.

greninja.gif

stylish (Greninja) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

At this point, I looked over the team and realized I didn't have much in the way of speed control. With all the fast offensive threats in OU, having a Choice Scarfer is a borderline necessity (unless you're running stall garbage). I also wanted to have another VoltTurner put on the team to help pivot into other options, so I figured I'd go with something that fulfilled both of those and add a Scarf Greninja. It's basically the standard Scarf set, with the only difference being the presence of Low Kick over Gunk Shot or Rock Slide rather than over Spikes. I did have Gunk Shot in the first slot initially, but I replaced it when I noticed that Kyurem-Black could potentially 6-0 the team without it. Someone led with it in the third battle I had with this team and helped me wake up to it (I was lucky they timed out turn 1 for some reason).

magnezone.gif

Area 51 (Magnezone) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

After the first 5 mons were in place, I was having a surprisingly hard time deciding on a final team member. I felt like the mons I had already covered a good amount of bases on their own, and I didn't see what I could include to help them further. Eventually I noticed two things. Firstly, I had almost no way of beating Ferrothorn or Celesteela without Zard (keep in mind, this was BEFORE I added Low Kick to the Gren set). And secondly, I had yet to use my Z-Crystal slot on anything. After a bit more searching for something to fulfill that spot, I settled on Sub-Z Magnezone. Aside from the always handy Electric coverage, it also gives me the much-loved power to trap these annoying Steel-type walls and beat them down with Tbolt or HP Fire. Gigavolt Havoc is also a nice situational nuke to have for something like Zapdos, which could also be a bit obnoxious for this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)