Alphability ORAS [Check Post #232]

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Go to post 232 for the new OP, hosted by G-Luke!

yay The Immortal

Did you guys like Alphabet Cup? I hope so because ALPHABILITY IS EVEN BETTER. Not as good as Offstat, of course, but since this forum seems to like broken Pokemon, changing abilities, and some combination of the two, I guess you'll like this better.

Simply put, Alphability is a metagame where every Pokemon gets access to every ability whose name starts with the same letter as the Pokemon's; however, they lose access to whatever abilities they used to have. This means that although Florges loses access to Symbiosis, we may see Fur Coat Florges running about on the ladder! Don't worry, though, I'm sure Shadow Tag Scizor will be able to stop it. Or perhaps you'd like Simple on it? Or maybe you're wondering about how to stop a Scizor once it's reached +4! Perhaps a Wonder Guard Wailord would help, but I'd like to see that deal with a Protean Porygon-Z's Thunderbolt... don't forget, of course, to prepare for the inevitable Sturdy Shedinja!

Before you get too excited, here are the nitty gritty specifics:
  • *almost* Standard OU Banlist.
  • Huge Power and Pure Power are banned, since there are a lot of Hs and Ps.
  • Moody is banned. Metagross/Mew/Milotic start with an M, and I think you could see what would happen.
  • When a Pokemon Mega-evolves, it keeps its ability. for example, a Compoundeyes Charizard would evolve into a Compoundeyes Charizard-Y/Charizard-X, not a Drought/Tough Claws one.
  • In light of recent developments, Blaziken, Blazikenite, Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite and Genesect are unbanned. However, to balance out the meta, you may only have one of each ability at most on your team. This does mean, of course, that you *could* have Teravolt, Turboblaze and Mold Breaker if you wanted to x_x
  • I'm open to a lot of balancing measures, if you think something should be banned/unbanned just say so!

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Slaking looks really scary, as it can run Shadow Tag and Simple for some really scary abilities. Hell, even Speed Boost is a really good ability on it. Scrappy might also be a thing, although the previous are more terrifying.

Suicune is also pretty neat, as it can run Simple, Shed Skin, or Serene Grace on bulky CM sets (Sheer Force is eh because no burn chance but might be cool on the offensive set)

In fact, S is once again the best letter in the game, carrying abilities like Simple, Speed Boost, Shadow Tag, and Sheer Force, plus more. The only letter I can think of that gives it competition is P, since it has Parential Bond and Prankster.

Deoxys-Speed's LO Revenge Killer set looks even better in this meta thanks to Download.

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fur Coat Ferrothorn no longer cares about Close Combats.

Simple Cosmic Power Starmie may have some gimmicky use.

Regenerator Registeel and Rhyperior will be difficult to put down.

Drizzle/Drought Deoxys becomes an optimal lead for weather teams, able to abuse Chlorophyll Chandelure or Swift Swim Salamence.

These are just examples for when the OP shit gets banned.

MAMP

MAMP!
Why use Drought Deoxys when you can use DROUGHT DARMANITAN

Also, the Imposter with the highest HP stat is Igglybuff, Chlorophyll Chandelure is terrifying, Parasect has Prankster Spore, the best abuser of Simple is probably Salamence (DD) or Scizor (SD), a lot of good Pokemon get Regenerator (Regi's, Rhyperior, Raikou, Rotom), Levitate Lucario could surprise some of its checks, Aerilate Aerodactyl seems very legit, Tornadus/Thundurus can make use of a very powerful Technician Acrobatics, Gale Wings Golbat lol, Fur Coat Ferrothorn seems very strong, and Speed Boost Staraptor will tear offense a new asshole.

As well, I think Shadow Tag/Arena Trap will probably need bans at some point, those abilities are always incredibly unbalancing when allowed on Pokemon that dont suck, as has been shown time and time again by Balanced Hackmons, Ability Shift, etc. Sturdy Shedinja will undoubtedly be very good as well.

Are Ubers allowed? The OP doesn't specify. If not, Regigigas and Slaking should probably get the boot.

yeah, pretty much the only thing keeping wonderguarders in check is trappers like dark void/imprison/transform smeargle.

stall in general looks really good, with toys like harvest heatran, magic bounce mandibuzz and unaware uxie

MAMP

MAMP!
Oh wow, I didnt even think of Wonder Guard. Wailord, Wormadam-T, Weavile, and Whiscash all seem potentially really dangerous with the ability.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
can you do the same thing as Alphabet Cup did and limit to one of each alphabet? otherwise I can see full wonder guard teams becoming a little too much, or something similar

thought dump time:

- wonder guard on air balloon weezing, whismur or whiscash is strong because they have only 1 weakness, particularly the former for toxic immunity
- Flash Fire Ferrothorn sounds rather annoying, same with Sand Stream / Storm Drain Shuckle
- M is pretty nifty; Magic Guard Moltres can remove its annoying weakness to SR, Multiscale Mandibuzz / Mew sound pretty annoying as well
- Parental Bond Mega Pinsir or Pyroar is speedy and very powerful
- Sand Stream Shedinja is probably the most reliable supporter for a sand team
- Hustle Haxorus sounds scary even if it does miss often; pair it with Arena Trap Arcanine or Shadow Tag Slaking and pretty much sweep barring a miss or two

edit also jw what happens to Xatu, Yanmega, and the other X and Y mons?

Last edited:
yeah, pretty much the only thing keeping wonderguarders in check is trappers like dark void/imprison/transform smeargle.
Don't forget about Mold Breaker and Teravolt/Turboblaze, which ignores Wonder Guard, and many other useful defensive abilities like Magic Bounce, Sturdy, Levitate, Fur Coat, etc. Tyranitar and Thundurus seem like the best users, with Tyranitar being especially notable for being able to completely shut down Sturdinja with Pursuit, and get SR up past Magic Bouncers.

Defensive:
Prankster Politoed/Poliwrath with Haze, Encore, and Hypnosis.
Gale Wings Gliscore gets prioroty Defog
Simple/Solid Rock Suicune
Simple Cosmic Power Sigilyph

Offensive:
Simple Dragon Dance Salamence/Shelgon
Tinted Lens Terrakion, because its dual STABs just weren't quite good enough already
Parental Bond Porygon-Z
Download Dragonite/Deoxys-S
Teravolt Tyranitar/Thundurus ignore WG and Sturdy

Support:
Scrappy Starmie can't have its Rapid Spin blocked
Teravolt Tyranitar ignores Magic Bounce
Eviolite Imposter Iggilybuff

Baton Pass:
Magic Bounce Musharna is incredibly slow, but is bulky, and can use Baton Pass and Stored Power.
Speed Boost Scizor is a bulkier Scolipede with better defensive typing.
Simple Smeargle with Cotton Guard, Tail Glow, Quiver Dance, ect.
Wonder Guard Watchdog can protect you against some HO sweepers, but its best boosting move is Work Up.
Turboblaze Togekiss isn't bothered by Wonder Guard, and can use Stored Power

Here are the combinations that I see to be very powerful/interesting:
Adaptability Aegislash
Download Deoxys
Multitype Metagross (now removes unwanted Dark/Ghost weaknesses)
Tough Claws Tyrantrum
Flash Fire Ferrothorn/Forretress (Finally)

There are obviously more, but these are the first to come to mind

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Download Darmanitan could be scary too. He'd need some hazard removal support, but Magic Guard Mandibuzz would be happy to give it.

Refrigerate Regigigas
Adaptability Archeops
Aerilate Archeops lgi
Fur Coat Ferrothorn no longer cares about Close Combats.

Simple Cosmic Power Starmie may have some gimmicky use.

Regenerator Registeel and Rhyperior will be difficult to put down.

Drizzle/Drought Deoxys becomes an optimal lead for weather teams, able to abuse Chlorophyll Chandelure or Swift Swim Salamence.

These are just examples for when the OP shit gets banned.
Flash Fire Ferrothorn no longer cares about Will-O-Wisps and Fire Blasts.

Lightning Rod Luvdisc New Meta

Ahem...

Magic Guard Mew - No longer taunt bait if you want a Baton Pass set
Poison Heal Porygon2 - Still needs Evolite, but if you suspect the Toxic, then switch to it
Motor Drive Mantine - Finally the Special Equivalent of Skarmory that is actually IMMUNE to its biggest threat: electric types

Also, what would we do for, like, Xatu and Yanmega (and Xerneas/Yveltal but they're probably still banned and lol Yamask and Yamna). They now have no abilties. Also all the Z Pokemon are stuck with an ability they can't use (Zen Mode)

Lightning Rod Luvdisc New Meta

Ahem...

Magic Guard Mew - No longer taunt bait if you want a Baton Pass set
Poison Heal Porygon2 - Still needs Evolite, but if you suspect the Toxic, then switch to it
Motor Drive Mantine - Finally the Special Equivalent of Skarmory that is actually IMMUNE to its biggest threat: electric types

Also, what would we do for, like, Xatu and Yanmega (and Xerneas/Yveltal but they're probably still banned and lol Yamask and Yamna). They now have no abilties. Also all the Z Pokemon are stuck with an ability they can't use (Zen Mode)
Maybe let them keep their abilities? Maybe let 'mons keep their abilities in general?

Yeah, Mking, thats an interesting question. Id actually thought about making a similar meta to this a while ago but decided against it. my solution was to ban x and y and laugh at z.

Yeah, people randomly come in the Other Metas room and ask for ABCAB quite a bit.

Yeah, Mking, thats an interesting question. Id actually thought about making a similar meta to this a while ago but decided against it. my solution was to ban x and y and laugh at z.
Why in the world would you ban something for being bad?!

EDIT: sorry for the double post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)