Advance Battle Mode

While sitting in a study during school today, I thought up a cool idea for a new format for pokemon. Something to spice up teams and make teambuilding interesting again. Here's what I came up with:

Advance Battle Mode

Teams must be one of the following to be eligible:
1.) Chain Team (ab,bc,cd,de,ef,fa)
2.) Type Team (ab,ac,ad,ae,af,ag)
3.) Family Team (a, a, a, a, a, a)

Teambuilding Rules:

1.) Chain Teams -- A chain team is a complicated way of making a team. You start with one poke who has two types and you choose a second poke who has one type in common with the first poke. Your third poke must share the second pokemon's type that was not shared with the first. A good example of this would be: AB, BC, CD, DE, EF, FA; where each letter represents a different type. The toughest team to build, but the easiest team to win with.
>All pokemon must have two different types
>Species Clause

2.) Type Team -- A type team is a team where each pokemon on the team shares one specific type. This is the easiest concept to understand, as many online gyms use Type Teams. The difference between these gyms and true Type Teams is that on a Type Team, every single pokemon must share that one particular type, so covering weaknesses tends to be much harder. Type Teams are easier to make than Chain Teams, but harder to win with.
>Species Clause
>All pokemon must share one type

3.) Family Team -- A family team is a team made up of pokemon who are all in one egg group. All pokes on your team MUST be in the same egg group, tho they may also be in other egg groups in addition to the group you pick. This is one of the most potentially diverse types of teams, but it still will not be easy to get great defensive coverage here.
>Species Clause
>All pokes must be from the same egg group

Common Teambuilding Rules:
>No Ubers
>Only one Focus Sash per team

Battling Rules:
>6v6 Singles
>Sleep Clause
>Evasion Clause

A List of banned pokemon on each type of team will be added as the format advances and more testing is done. Please, try out teams from this format and post your results here. Also, if you see any changes that need to be made, post them. Thank you, and enjoy!

~Bruno

Copyright: Advanced Battle Mode is a copyright of Bruno, Leader of Team Chaos and affiliates. Do not distribute this and claim it as your own.

Type and family teams seem to be the exact same thing as a mono-team.

Chain team would be fun to make though..

EDIT:This also reminds me of 200 play, but I was never really sure what that was either.

I'm actually trying to get this as the officially supported clan war format, as I have quite a bit of influence in larger clans. I can only try.
Anyways, yes, this is still being tested in its early stages, so we're re-evaluating if wobbuffet is reasonable enough to leave in advanced. Since it can't be on a chain team and it's banned in family teams, he can really only see play on psychic type teams, though I'm really not sure if psychic, who already gets the faries and cresselia and alakazam and jirachi/metagross/bronzong really need this monster. I myself am testing a Pyschic type with wobby, and i have yet to be able to abuse him too much, as these teams tend to stray away from entirely being sweepers to having a lot more depth to them. Only time will tell.

Type and family teams seem to be the exact same thing as a mono-team.

Chain team would be fun to make though..

EDIT:This also reminds me of 200 play, but I was never really sure what that was either.
I think a baby team is different than a mono-team, is what he's implying.

A family team is basically a team of pokemon who share an evolution line. For example, you could have a team of eeveelutions or a team of any combination of clampearl, huntail, and gorebyss or a team of 6 bronzong.

>_< don't really like the family team idea but the chain team seems nice. I like the same egg group team someone posted above.

Hmm...Then I may change the family teams to egg group teams. But first, I'd really like to test teams that don't have species clause on. If anyone else has any other ideas for alternate formulas for teams in case one of these doesn't work out, let me know. ^_^

playing without species clause is boring IMO I fought against this guy named Cloud(iirc that was his name) he used 6 Regigigas killed two of my pokemon quickly but was annihilated by DDTar I ended up winning 4-0. This just shows you that a team like that is boring repetitive and easy to overcome given the right counter.

You're missing the point. I didn't say to just use 6 regigigas', but instead i suggested using an eeveelution team or a huntail/gorebyss/clampearl team or a team of bronzongs with a mix of strategies and abilities. Family Teams are meant to make the player think about what strategies over what pokes they want to use in contrast to chain teams, who make trainers focus on what pokes to use over what strategy each poke should use.

instead i suggested using an eeveelution team
Yeah good luck with that, having tried a couple of different Eeveelution teams I came to the conclusion that they are just not viable.

Umbreon and Vaporeon are the only two that can take any sort of hit, and both of them are worn down fairly quickly ... not to mention that no eeveelution has any way to deal with Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and spikes.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, the second thing he spoke about were Mono teams. Thats nothing new. Chain teams sound cool, but IMO DP Team Building is spiced up enough as it is. So many new strategies to try etc, etc.

This is silly. There are enough new strategies and tricks in D/P to try out there rather than just forming your team based on type...which with the dawn of R/S (and abilities) a pokemon's typing don't matter as much anymore (it's still a huge part yes... but so is switching out >.>). Mono-type teams suck anyways, maybe I just don't understand them.
A much more novel idea would be too make one based on original abilities like motor drive, flash fire, water/volt absorb, trace, etc....
I dunno, just my opinion.

@Teferi: I didn't say that you mentioned anything about Regigigas it's just I was trying to prove to you mono-species team suck and eeveelutions team aren't too hard to beat.

family teams seems meh

I remember thinking about something similar to chain teams myself a while back, though. Pretty nice idea imo.

Hmm, lemme think of a chain team.

Garchomp, Salamence, skarmory, metagross, starmie, swampert.

Off the top of my head.

you can fully train a pokemon by level 5, with the right gear.

and IVs don't really add much to the stats (though I guess EVs don't add much either)

@Teferi: I didn't say that you mentioned anything about Regigigas it's just I was trying to prove to you mono-species team suck and eeveelutions team aren't too hard to beat.
First, you missed the ENTIRE point of what I was saying: I'm giving examples of family teams in case I failed to explain what they are properly, I'm not giving out the best teams in the format, here. Second, sure, these teams may not be too tough to handle in standard, but if you're playing Advanced, you're not playing standard, so you really don't need to deal with such standard teams.

Also note that this is a first draft of Advance Battle Format (this name's kind of lengthy and also may change over time), so we're still testing out everything. After playing a few games of it with a friend, it seems to be fairly balanced, but I'm sure changes will be made before a final version is released.

On the subject of people saying family teams suck: Remember, people, that having a whole team of one pokemon doesn't mean that you have to use the same strategy for each poke. Bronzong, for example, has at least 6, if not more, completely different strategies that he can use. That's the point of family teams: to think outside the box and to try something totally different from standard. That's really the point in all of this: to come up with something new and fun. I bet after a few months, if that, many of you who don't like the idea of an alternate format will really begin to appreciate Advanced, as it is a nice breath of fresh air in contrast to boring old standard.

Note: I like standard just as much as the next guy, but you must admit, it does get borring after a while. Something totally new is never a bad thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)