Accelgor (QC 0/3)

QC: / /
GP: /

Overview
########

• Boasts an excellent Speed stat, Accelgor is the fastest Pokemon in the RU tier, making it well fit for a suicide lead with Spikes.
  • Prevents Defog / Rapid Spin with Final Gambit on the turn it is used.
  • Good Special Attack, which means Accelgor doesn't need to rely on Final Gambit to do good damage.
  • Good ability in Unburden that doubles Accelgor's Speed once its item has activated, which usually lets it move first.
  • Somewhat lackluster movepool, but Accelgor has mostly just the moves it needs to function well. However, it lacks the coverage to hit Flying-types for good damage.
  • Extremely frail on the physical side, not good bulk on the special side either.
  • Weak to common Rock-type leads, such as Rhyperior and Crustle, which can just beat Accelgor with its STAB attacks if it doesn't run an offensive set. Both can go for Rock Blast and ignore Accelgor's Focus Sash.
  • Faces competition from Qwilfish as a hazard setter because it also has Toxic Spikes, and Explosion to prevent Defog and Rapid Spin. Additionally, it has Taunt to block foes from setting up hazards, while also having more bulk, a better typing, and Intimidate.

Spikes
########
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Encore
move 3: Final Gambit
move 4: Bug Buzz
ability: Unburden
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

• Spikes is an entry hazards that damages all opponents on the switch, except for those immune to it.
  • Encore leaves the opponent locked into the last move it used for 3 turns, and is excellent for stopping set up sweepers and defensive Pokemon.
  • Final Gambit does a lot of damage when Accelgor is at full HP, but the main reason to use it is to prevent opposing Defog or Rapid Spin, while after, you can bring in a Pokemon that forces the opponent out.
  • Bug Buzz is a pretty decent STAB attack which does not limit Accelgor to Final Gambit if it gets Taunted.

Set Details
========

• Unburden doubles Accelgor's Speed once its item has been used, which allows it to move before most boosted Pokemon.
  • Focus Sash prevents Accelgor from being OHKOed by normal attacks when at full HP.
  • The investment in HP maximizes Final Gambit's damage output at full and the Speed EVs along with a Timid nature let Accelgor set up Spikes as fast as possible.

Usage Tips
========

• Accelgor is best fit for Hyper Offense teams because of its ability to lay Spikes and help teammates with that, while it can also prevent the opponent from removing the Spikes with Final Gambit.
  • Accelgor should mostly be led with, because if not, the opponent can set up Stealth Rock, and block the effect of Focus Sash.
  • Use Final Gambit when predicting the opponent to Defog or Rapid Spin, or if there's a foe that troubles your team and you want to weaken or beat it.
  • Use Encore against set up sweepers and defensive Pokemon, you can lock them into a move and then force them to switch.
  • Dodge Pokemon such as Rhyperior with multi-hitting move as they can bypass Accelgor's Focus Sash and prevent it from doing work.

Team Options
========

• Offensive Pokemon such as Hitmonlee, Emboar, Pangoro, and Delphox, appreciate Spikes support from Accelgor and can also pressure common Defoggers / Rapid Spinners.
  • Braviary gets an exclusive mention for its ability to prevent foes from going for Defog as Defiant will raise its Attack by 2, while it also takes advantage of the Spikes.
  • Ghost-types such as Doublade and Mismagius fit well on offensive teams and can block Rapid Spin for Accelgor.
  • Common Taunt users such as Drapion and Mega Banette can prevent the opponent from using Defog. Mega Banette can also block Rapid Spin.
  • Other hazard setters such as Drapion, Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Seismitoad can set up Stealth Rock to support offensive teammates even better.

Offensive Spikes
########
name: Offensive Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Energy Ball
ability: Sticky Hold
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========

• Spikes is an entry hazard that damages all foes on the switch in, except if they are immune.
  • Bug Buzz is a reliable, powerful STAB attack which has the additional niche of negating Substitute.
  • Focus Blast has great overall coverage and power, however, it is a bit unreliable because of its low accuracy.
  • Energy Ball has good power and lets Accelgor OHKO Rhyperior and do a lot to Ground-types such as Gastrodon.
  • Hidden Power Fire 2HKOes Doublade and does a lot to Escavalier which makes it a considerable option.
  • Hidden Power Rock super effectively damages Flying-types such as Golbat and Fletchinder, which resist all of its moves, and thus is a usable option.

Set Details
========

• Sticky Hold is the ability of choice because it prevents Accelgor's Life Orb from being removed by an attack. Because of this, Accelgor can switch into a predicted Trick or Switcheroo. However, Accelgor doesn't like taking Knock Off.
  • Life Orb is the primary item choice because it gives a power boost to all of Accelgor's damaging moves.
  • The spread along with a Modest or Timid nature maximizes Accelgor's offensive capabilities.
  • A Modest nature should be used for extra power, while Timid lets Accelgor outspeed max Speed Jolteon and Choice Scarf Medicham.

Usage Tips
========

• Best fits on Hyper Offense Teams as it sets Spikes for teammates which can KO foes with more ease with the support of Spikes.
  • Don't use it as a sweeper, Accelgor is good for late game cleaning, but it cannot sweep through teams at all, since it doesn't have an outstanding Special Attack. However, if your team appreciates Spikes support throughout the match, it can be used as a lead to set them up or KO an opposing lead.
  • If your opponent has a way of removing hazards, don't spam Spikes - try to beat the Pokemon that can remove the hazard and set up Spikes after. Spikes really help against bulky offensive teams only, so there's no point in setting them up against defensive teams.
  • If the opponent has a strong priority user such as Feraligatr, do not attempt to sweep, as these can easily beat Accelgor because of its awful physical bulk.
  • Flying-types resist all of Accelgor's moves and can Defog against it or OHKO it with a STAB attack, so Accelgor should definitely switch out of them.

Team Options
========

• Offensive Pokemon such as Hitmonlee, Emboar, and Tyrantrum make for good partners as they take advantage of the Spikes Accelgor sets.
  • Wallbreakers such as Exploud, Swords Dance Feraligatr, Choice Band Tyrantrum, and Choice Specs Meloetta make for good partners for their ability to break through specially defensive walls, where Accelgor struggles against.
  • As Flying-types resist all of Accelgor's moves if it doesn't run Hidden Power Rock, Pokemon such as Magneton, Jolteon and Kabutops, are good choices because they can beat the Flying-types for Accelgor.
  • Spinblockers such as Doublade and Spiritomb make good teammates as they can prevent the foe from Rapid Spinning away the Spikes.
  • Cobalion makes for a good partner because it can set up Stealth Rock, which gives Accelgor an easier time KOing foes, such as Rhyperior, while it can also use Taunt to block Defog.
  • Braviary is a good teammate for their opponent to deter the foe from Defogging, as Defiant will raise its Attack by two if the foe uses Defog against Braviary.
  • Entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Kabutops and Hitmonlee is appreciated, as Accelgor will be worn down easily by the entry hazard damage alongside the Life Orb recoil. Defog users are not recommended as they remove the Spikes set up by Accelgor.

Other Options
########

• Yawn forces a lot of switches on the opposing side, but Accelgor is too frail to make good use of it.
  • Choice Specs is an option for more power than Life Orb, but leaves Accelgor unable to run Spikes.
  • Knock Off is a utility move which removes the item of opposing Pokemon, but it is very weak since Accelgor's Attack is low.
  • U-turn allows Accelgor to quickly grab momentum and switch out of its checks and counters, but is very weak due Accelgor's low Attack.

Checks & Counters
########

**Xatu**: While it cannot repeatedly take Bug Buzz from the offensive set, it can bounce back Spikes thanks to Magic Bounce, leaving Accelgor unable to set them.

**Multi-hitters**: Multi-hitters such as Rhyperior can bypass Accelgor's Focus Sash with Rock Blast and beat it. Rhyperior should be extremely wary of Energy Ball, however.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Fletchinder, Scyther, and Golbat can easily take Accelgor's STAB attacks and OHKO with a STAB attack in return. The former two cannot take a Hidden Power Rock at all, though.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Fletchinder, Houndoom and Delphox can OHKO Accelgor with their STAB attacks. The former can also outspeed it with a priority Acrobatics, but should be wary of Hidden Power Rock because of its 4x weakness to it.

**Priority**: As Accelgor is very frail, powerful priority such as Doublade's Shadow Sneak, Houndoom's Sucker Punch and Feraligatr's Aqua Jet can easily KO Accelgor and prevent it from moving twice if it has a Focus Sash.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users such as Delphox and Durant can outspeed Accelgor and 2HKO the lead set and OHKO the offensive set. Durant cannot take Hidden Power Fire at all, though.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Whimsicott, Mega Banette and Spiritomb can Taunt Accelgor and limit it to one spike. Whimsicott does not like taking a Bug Buzz at all though, and Spiritomb cannot take repeated hits either.

Last edited:
I think an Offensive set is decently viable. While it used to be completely outclassed by Yanmega because of its superior offensive typing / power, now since it's banned, Accelgor is the only special Bug-type in the tier, has excellent Speed for an offensive threat, and Choice Specs boost its good base 100 Special Attack even further. Sticky Hold prevents the LO from being Knocked Off.

If you run Energy Ball you definitely gotta need a mon that can touch Flying-types as they completely wall this set. Hidden Power Rock can fix that up, hitting many Flying-types such as Moltres, Golbat, and Fletchinder for supereffcetive damage. You could use a Timid nature to outspeed everything up to Jolteon and scarf medicham but I generally prefer Modest for its power, Accelgor is p much fast enough anyway.

Tagging Arikado and galbia for their opinions.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview is kinda weird o.o

Can prevent opponents from Defogging or Rapid Spinning away the Spikes that are set up by using Final Gambit, and bring in a spinblocker or something with Taunt to block Defog afterwards. It can also Encore foes to prevent them from setting up hazards or with stat boosting moves.
Rephrase this, it's unnecessarily complicated. Just say that Final Gambit prevents rapid spin/defog from removing hazards the turn its used

Good ability in Unburden that doubles Accelgor's Speed once its item has activated, which usually lets it move first. Sticky Hold is good for an offensive set with a Life Orb since it prevents the item from being removed.
It's not like accelgor would be switching into knock offs anyway, so i find the point on sticky hold redundant. I guess Unburden is worth mentioning tho cuz it activates with sash so keep that.

Faces no longer competition offensively from the likes of Yanmega, since it was banned a long time ago. However, as a hazard setter, it faces competition from Omastar since it can threaten the most common Defog users with its Rock-type STAB attacks.
Super irrelevant, remove

Weak to common Rock-type leads, such as Rhyperior and Omastar, which can just beat Accelgor with its STAB attacks if it doesn't run an offensive set. The former, Rhyperior, can just go for Rock Blast and ignore Accelgor's Focus Sash.
Omastar isn't a good example here cuz generally it runs sr/spikes/beam/scald which doesnt really hit accelgor for SE damage. Crustle maybe?

More or less walled by Flying-types offensively since they resist all Accelgor's attacks while it only has Hidden Power as coverage move against them.
This sounds weird. merge it with the point about its lackluster movepool and say something atlo "lacks coverage against flying-types outside of hidden power"

[Spikes lead]
in usage tips:
Never switch into direct attacks, Accelgor is extremely frail and its Focus Sash will not stay intact any longer.
kind of redundant when u also mention it's a suicide lead, so yeah

Final Gambit should only be used when predicting the opponent to Defog or Rapid Spin, or if there's a foe that troubles your team.
Those are literally the 2 reasons you would use it so i don't see why you need to put "only use it when..." just say "use it when predicting the opponent to defog or spin, or when you want to weaken/take out/cripple a certain Pokemon

I'll look at the rest later

Overview is kinda weird o.o

Rephrase this, it's unnecessarily complicated. Just say that Final Gambit prevents rapid spin/defog from removing hazards the turn its used

It's not like accelgor would be switching into knock offs anyway, so i find the point on sticky hold redundant. I guess Unburden is worth mentioning tho cuz it activates with sash so keep that.

Super irrelevant, remove

Omastar isn't a good example here cuz generally it runs sr/spikes/beam/scald which doesnt really hit accelgor for SE damage. Crustle maybe?

This sounds weird. merge it with the point about its lackluster movepool and say something atlo "lacks coverage against flying-types outside of hidden power"

[Spikes lead]
in usage tips:

kind of redundant when u also mention it's a suicide lead, so yeah

Those are literally the 2 reasons you would use it so i don't see why you need to put "only use it when..." just say "use it when predicting the opponent to defog or spin, or when you want to weaken/take out/cripple a certain Pokemon

I'll look at the rest later
Did.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Sticky Hold is the ability of choice because it prevents Accelgor's Life Orb from being removed by an attack.
Considering Accelgor hates eating Knock Off, do mention its ability to switch into Trick users. Being able to force them out and landing a free hit on an opponent would be pretty huge for Accelgor.

Considering Accelgor hates eating Knock Off, do mention its ability to switch into Trick users. Being able to force them out and landing a free hit on an opponent would be pretty huge for Accelgor.
This is correct. Thanks for the input! Edited it in the analysis!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Weak to common Rock-type leads, such as Rhyperior and Crustle, which can just beat Accelgor with its STAB attacks if it doesn't run an offensive set. The former, Rhyperior, can just go for Rock Blast and ignore Accelgor's Focus Sash.
Crustle also has Rock Blast.

In Overview also mention that it has severe competition from Qwilfish as a hazards setter cuz it also has Spikes as well as Toxic Spikes, Explosion (functions the same as Final Gambit), and Taunt to both limit Accelgor to 1 spike or stop omastar/crustle and Defog, while having a better ability, typing, and actual bulk that can let it function more than just a suicide lead.

On the offensive spikes set, I honestly find HP Fire more useful because it 2HKOs Doublade and hits Escavalier hard.. Golbat will be taking shit damage altho it has a chance to 2HKO after Rock, and pressuring it to not Defog (it has to spam Roost if it wants to stay in) is nice I guess. Fletchinder would just acro but I guess catching it on the switch is neat. I guess you could mention both of them.

Pairing Accelgor with a physically defensive tank such as Amoonguss or Mega Steelix is a good idea, as they can switch into powerful physical attacks which easily OHKO Accelgor.
I'm not convinced with this cuz those Pokemon are momentum sinks and that's bad to have in HO. Remove that point

Also remove Gourgeist from spinblockers cuz it just isn't relevant and add Spiritomb I guess

Remove the point where you say Dugtrio sets up SR; it's a terrible SR setter. Mention Cobalion instead, and merge it with the point you made about using Taunt and say "Cobalion is a good teammate as it can set up Stealth Rock as well as prevent Defog with Taunt"

Add more examples for wallbreakers; SD Gatr, Tyrantrum, Specs Meloetta (cool because it + accelgor both would kinda lure steels and weaken them)

Remove Moltres mention in C&C and anywhere else if u have it, remove Aromatisse from C&C (kinda random especially cuz its alone there lol) and add Taunt users cuz they limit it to 1 spike; also add faster Pokemon I guess cuz if they can outspeed that means they can 2HKO at worst.

Crustle also has Rock Blast.

In Overview also mention that it has severe competition from Qwilfish as a hazards setter cuz it also has Spikes as well as Toxic Spikes, Explosion (functions the same as Final Gambit), and Taunt to both limit Accelgor to 1 spike or stop omastar/crustle and Defog, while having a better ability, typing, and actual bulk that can let it function more than just a suicide lead.

On the offensive spikes set, I honestly find HP Fire more useful because it 2HKOs Doublade and hits Escavalier hard.. Golbat will be taking shit damage altho it has a chance to 2HKO after Rock, and pressuring it to not Defog (it has to spam Roost if it wants to stay in) is nice I guess. Fletchinder would just acro but I guess catching it on the switch is neat. I guess you could mention both of them.

I'm not convinced with this cuz those Pokemon are momentum sinks and that's bad to have in HO. Remove that point

Also remove Gourgeist from spinblockers cuz it just isn't relevant and add Spiritomb I guess

Remove the point where you say Dugtrio sets up SR; it's a terrible SR setter. Mention Cobalion instead, and merge it with the point you made about using Taunt and say "Cobalion is a good teammate as it can set up Stealth Rock as well as prevent Defog with Taunt"

Add more examples for wallbreakers; SD Gatr, Tyrantrum, Specs Meloetta (cool because it + accelgor both would kinda lure steels and weaken them)

Remove Moltres mention in C&C and anywhere else if u have it, remove Aromatisse from C&C (kinda random especially cuz its alone there lol) and add Taunt users cuz they limit it to 1 spike; also add faster Pokemon I guess cuz if they can outspeed that means they can 2HKO at worst.
Alright thanks for the check, did this. I renamed 'Faster Pokemon' to 'Choice Scarf Users' since Accelgor is the fastest Pokemon in the tier and nothing unboosted can outspeed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)