Ability Switching... should it be legal?

Should this "glitch" be allowed in competitive play?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very confusing title. I know. Here is what I mean though.

You know how GBA exclusive moves cannot go with D/P/P's new abilities? We assume that they cannot be crossed, but as people played along, they can.

It is the internal data of the Pokemon that causes this to happen. I'm sure all of you already know what are PIDs already, what happens it that GBA and DPP uses the same set of randomization. Abilities are also set by this randomization, I have an example here:

1) I breed a Machop in Emerald, his PID is Class 2 (I can't see or know this yet though), but the GBA only have Guts for Machop line, so ability given was Guts.
2) I taught Machop Mimic in FR/LG.
3) I Pal-parked the Machop to Diamond.
4) I evolve Machop, his PID will "reset" and the ability will turn into No Guard.
5) I have a Machoke with Mimic and No Guard in D/P.

The problem with this is, this is a glitch, but this is in no way linked in cheating devices what so ever. This CAN happen to you as it will happen to the 5 year old nub down your street.

So should this glitch be legal? While this glitch seems stupid, this would mean we can have Softboiled/Magic Guard Clefables, but these are complete CHANCES since you can only teach Softboiled ONCE, Mimic ONCE, etc.

While this glitch seems stupid, this would mean we can have Softboiled/Magic Guard Clefables, but these are complete CHANCES since you can only teach Softboiled ONCE, Mimic ONCE, etc.
It's called Emerald cloning. Clone the Pokemon, Pal Park it, evolve it, and if its ability changes to No Guard/Magic Guard, then you know what class it is, so go ahead and teach Mimic to that Machop or Softboiled to that Clefairy in Emerald.

And there IS an unlimited Softboiled Tutor in Emerald anyway, provided you keep a healthy amount of Battle Points.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I thought that when you transfer a pokemon like Machop over from Adv. to DP, that there is a 50% chance it will keep Guts upon evolution, and a 50% chance it will change to No Guard depending on some random variable. As far as I know, this is just the way it works, it isn't a glitch.

I don't get how the one time move tutors tie into the problem either.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Yeah, just easily clone the pokemon, palpark it, and see if its ability changes to the one you want. If it does, teach the clone the move you want, and viola.

Also, I don't see how this can be 'illegal'. Should GTS cloning be illegal? No. Should the glitch used to see the natures egg be illegal? No.
Thanks for your time.

EDIT:
@Jonathan: He means that there are one-time tutor moves that can be taught to pokemon who don't change their abilities when they are evolved in D/P.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We've known about this for quite some time. The only noteable pokemon I can think of who couldn't get his tutor moves with his new ability was Breloom, but that's because Shroomish can't learn thunderpunch. Now that Platinum has a t-punch tutor though, that's all in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)