2011 Oscar Race

After reading through the Black Swan thread, I figured this could use a thread of it's own.

Anyway, of this year's major contenders, I've seen The Social Network, Black Swan and The King's Speech, all of which I enjoyed. I guess I can mention seeing Inception too, but unfortunately that's one of those films that's just 'an honor to be nominated'. I haven't seen The Fighter yet, but I'm hoping to get out and see it this weekend. Has anybody else seen it? What do you think? How does it stack up against the other Oscar contenders?

My favorite in the race right now is The Social Network. I think it's both highly relevant and surprisingly entertaining; usually Oscar movies are either downers or totally dry - sometimes both. But with Social Network, I was engaged and entertained the whole way through. I also really like it because I feel strongly about Facebook and what it's how it's affecting the social norm, and I think this film shines a spotlight on some of the less savory aspects of why people use it - for example, the site got it's start from Zuckerberg's Harvard-girl-rating website, the film version of Zuckerberg is portrayed to have been motivated by his breakup, etc. I guess I'll just mention Aaron Sorkin's script, and that it's fantastic. Not much more to say, really.

The King's Speech I quite enjoyed, but it gets minus points from me for being total Oscar bait. It's not at all challenging, it's just a sterile, well-crafted crowd-pleaser. Colin Firth is likely going to get the Best Actor award for this one, but mostly because it's 'his turn' this year, and less so for this film. Not like he was bad of course, far from it. I more enjoyed Geoffrey Rush's performance as his speech therapist, amusing and even slightly pathetic, endearingly so, at just the right moments, like when he's auditioning for that acting company or whatever.

Black Swan has got it's own thread, so no sense going over it again in here. I think the consensus among Smogon is that it's pretty damn good.

Of course, there are plenty of other Oscar categories besides Best Picture and it's ilk. I guess I'm not surprised, just a little bummed that Daft Punk didn't get a nod for their Tron score. The film itself was pretty unremarkable, but I thought Daft was an inspired choice and would've liked to see them get some recognition. And it'd be awesome to see them get up on stage and accept the award.

Speaking of artists who wear masks, I was really excited to see Exit Through the Gift Shop nominated for Best Documentary - it was easily my favorite film that I saw last year. Wildly entertaining, and asks some really great questions about the nature of art, who should be allowed to make it, etc. It's probably not going to win though, because the Academy is made up of a bunch of dated killjoys:

http://collider.com/academy-awards-banksy-exit-through-the-gift-shop/75541/

I could go on, but this is probably enough to get the discussion going. What are your top picks? What do you think of the nominees? Anybody got Oscar pools going on at school/work/whatever?

The King's Speech, a very good film, will unfortunately win, which is actually really, really lame because of how typical it is.

I thought Tron was really good, I honestly can't see why people speak so poorly of it. The special effects were flawless, the soundtrack was original and fit perfectly, characterization was good and it had a solid plot-line.

So if you thought the plot ruined the movie, than it's at least better than Avatar.

I have not watched any of the films, so people are obviously going to dismiss what I say. From how people reacted, Inception should 100% win. The "best" movie of the year should win, and people were all seemed to be in pretty general agreement that it was the best. I never keep up with something like the Oscars because it is a pointless sham.

Zacchaeus Tron was fucking terrible. Nonsensical plot elements, poor acting, a typical vapid, silent female lead who we are supposed to find "strong" nonetheless, killing a character off and then resurrecting the character as one of many dramatic flaws...it was not the worst film ever but there was certainly nothing worthwhile about it. The original Tron had better effects relative to its time period and was much more entertaining.

Comparing Tron to Avatar is just absurd. Avatar had the best graphics of all time (what with the ridiculous spending and technology that went into them), and they were impressive and beautiful pretty much all the time. The plot was mediocre but still much more sensible, coherent, and with less bullshit drama than Tron. Additionally, Tron was never beautiful, it is the perfect example of a a typically shitty "shiny" movie, a false glamour. Tron is the nail polish of movies.

I would love to know how Avatar had better graphics than Tron. If you aren't looking for graphics with actual people and whatnot implemented in (like in Tron), go watch Tangled. And you're saying that Avatar had a sensible plotline and no "bullshit drama"?

Yeah, Avatar had a sensible plotline and no bullshit drama just as much as a 6-0 isn't a 6-0 if the winning team members are all at around 20% HP

The "best" movie of the year should win, and people were all seemed to be in pretty general agreement that it was the best.
I really don't agree with this at all. These days I see more general praise for Black Swan and The Social Network, though Inception probably lands in a nice third in the respect that you're trying to put across, though Toy Story 3 has a chance at maybe making even second thanks to its tear-jerking. Probably largely depends on who you're observing, and as someone who reads media criticism and the like all across the internet, that's what my impression has been.

Also, I hated the idea of the mediocre Avatar winning last year, but Avatar is quite a bit better than the new Tron, which took a campy identity and then made the horrible mistake of taking itself too seriously.

Of the two films that have any shot at all, though, The Social Network far and away deserves it over The King's Speech.

Colin Firth is likely going to get the Best Actor award for this one, but mostly because it's 'his turn' this year, and less so for this film.
I disagree with this. Eisenberg, I think, deserves the honor, but Firth is the reason that the film is number ten on my list and practically nothing else. Colin Firth delivered a constantly captivating performance, and he was fun to watch.

For what it's worth.

1. Black Swan
2. Toy Story 3
3. The Social Network
4. Exit Through The Gift Shop
5. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
6. Inception
7. Winter's Bone
8. Blue Valentine
9. True Grit
10. The King's Speech

Nine and ten are relatively weak, and occasionally I'll switch three and four.

Edit: Reconsidering Captain Kirby's assessment of Inception being beloved by the highest number of people, but only insofar as more people have seen it, and who cares about that?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tron's story was as dumb as anything I've ever seen Zaccheus and I don't understand how anyone can say otherwise. The whole plotline involving the ISOs was so stupid, such inane drivel, all the talk about ISOs changing philosophy and religion (with no explanation how, or on the science and medicine aspects either) only kinda made sense when I pictured Bridges as the Dude, which it was impossible not to the way they wrote his character.

It was amazingly directed, one of the better movie scenes of the year honestly was when the son was looking around the arcade. But the direction and visuals were all that carried the movie. The acting was under par due to type casting Bridges and almost no Boxleitner.

Inception deserves to win because it was the best movie. Probably the best science fiction movie of the last ten years.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Inception is probably not going to win best film despite being such an amazing film. I guess Nolan needs a supporting cast member to die just to pick up some awards.

Anyways the one film I'm looking to see is in the foreign film category called Incendies, it's based off a Quebec play by the same name. I've read the play and I've been meaning to see the film, with the only showings sometimes downtown Toronto.

I disagree with this. Eisenberg, I think, deserves the honor, but Firth is the reason that the film is number ten on my list and practically nothing else. Colin Firth delivered a constantly captivating performance, and he was fun to watch.
I wasn't trying to imply that he didn't deliver a good performance in Speech, and I agree that Jesse Eisenberg outta win - just judging by Academy trends though, my money is on Firth. It's the same reason I think Annette Benning will win Best Actress, even though I think Natalie Portman deserves it (though I haven't seen The Kids Are All Right yet); the Academy tends to hand awards to people who've been nominated several times but haven't won. Portman and Eisenberg still have long careers ahead of them, so even though I'd like to see them win, I doubt it's their year this year.

My money's on Firth, but he deserves it almost as much as Eisenberg. I have no qualms with him winning, but I do with The King's Speech winning.

Also Portman will win. Just, trust me. It isn't even going to be an issue.

Along with that, I'll say that I'll be crushed if Reznor and Ross don't win best score. They knocked it out of the box. Screw Hans Zimmer and anyone else.

Inception was super-popular, but I'm pretty sure it won't win. I haven't seen the others, but with the overall Black Swan mania I'd say it has a damn good chance.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The most popular movie isn't always the best. Inception was great and I wouldn't begrudge it winning, but I enjoyed The Social Network just as much and I felt it left a more lasting impact on me than Inception did. The King's Speech was enjoyable but I really didn't find it anything special. Toy Story 3 was my movie of the year though but I don't see it getting honoured for that category here...

I still need to see Black Swan and The Fighter.

Tron was very well designed from a visual and audio perspective, but the plot really was paper-thin. Enjoyable movie, but nothing special.

My prediction for top honours is The Social Network.

Black Swan will not win. While it has probably the fourth best chance, it will not win. True Grit barely has a chance. The Social Network has a chance. The King's Speech will probably win.

That said, I'd adore, adore to see Black Swan winning.

If I had to rank each film up in terms of how much I like it, it'd go.

1. Black Swan
2. Toy Story 3
3. The Social Network
4. Inception
5. Winter's Bone
6. True Grit
7. The King's Speech
8. The Kids Are All Right
9. The Fighter
10. 127 Hours

All good films (although 127 Hours wasn't much of anything), but the first five are far and away ahead of the next five. The King's Speech is a boring winner, and when they look back at 2010 in five years, I think they'll realize that they'll have made a mistake. British costume drama? Lead with a disability? Teacher who breaks the rules? God damn. Without Firth, I'd have probably hated that damn movie.

Anyone else disappointed to see Inception get not a single acting nom? I really thought Marion Cotillard deserved one.

Id like too see Geoffrey Rush and Hailee Steinfield win the supporting awards. He surely has a chance, seems unlikely for her even though she anchored that movie!

Hope Anne Hathaway sings again.

Marion Cotillard totally deserved one, and so did Andrew Garfield. Horrible snubs. Hailee Steinfeld is second most likely to win hers, and she might. The category she's nominated in is absolutely preposterous.

Anyway, I've been fiddling with this, and here are the likelihoods of anything winning.

1. The King's Speech (Probable)
2. The Social Network (Quite Possible)
3. True Grit (Very Outside Shot)
4. Black Swan (Pipedream, but lesbians!)
5. Toy Story 3 (What if it turns out that the Academy have hearts and finally cried?)
6. The Kids Are All Right (Lesbians!)
7. Inception (What if the entire Academy is arguing about what happened at the end?)
8. 127 Hours ("Holy crap! One man show! Amputation! Franco's off the pot!")
9. The Fighter (Strong performances that people will have voted for without seeing the movie, also it's about boxing and "it's been done.")
10. Winter's Bone (The entire Academy can't be bothered to see everything, and they're too stupid too watch this wonderful movie.)

I'd put anything below number three at laughably low odds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)