Gen 1 1v1 Gen 1 Ghost Team.

This may be a rather strange topic, but I came up with a ghost-type team for Gen 1’s 1v1:

IMG_5840.jpeg

I am almost CERTAIN this had been done before, but if so, I didn’t mean to copy. Here’s my reasons for why I think this is a good ghost-type team for Gen 1’s 1v1.

Starting with why I chose the above species, they were the only options. But… That’s enough useless remarks. Let’s explain how the team works together.

First of all, gastly. It (and the whole gastly evo line) have terrible HP, defense, and attack stats. However, this is made up for by their special and speed. But back to gastly. I chose to make it a bit of a staller. It can use toxic (which hits most of the time) combined with confuse ray to do some decent damage (confuse ray is not 100% in vain, since gastly out-speeds a decent amount of pokemon). While it’s confused, you can opt for substitute and psywave. Substitute creating a bit of a distraction (and good for absorbing hard-hitting moves which would otherwise knock it out) and psywave, to try to gamble for up to 150 hit points worth of damage. But let me show you the ideal situation for it:

You start the battle, and your opponent goes for a stat raising move (hopefully sword dance). You guess this and use toxic. If it hits (that’s an if), you’ll hopefully land it before it uses its stat raising move and get some poison damage on it. Your opponent stays in to make the most of its temporarily raised attack stat, hoping to sweep. Hopefully, they try to attack you next turn. You, again, are faster, and land confuse ray. Hopefully, the opponent gets hurt in confusion. If they do, you set up a subsitute, and hope they switch. When they do, you can use toxic on that pokemon, and repeat… Psywave is if you wanna gamble for damage.

This is sort of a specific use scenario, but if the stars all align right, you could be poisoning your opponent’s whole team!

Moving onto haunter, once your gastly finally kicks the bucket, you can subsitue and mega drain, maybe getting in a confuse ray. And… If you didn’t poison all your opponent's pokemon with gastly, you can use haunter for a second chance. So pretty self-explanatory… I think.

Finally, you get down to your last pokemon: gengar. It’s time to substitute and maybe land a confuse ray. Use your high special and speed to hit some thunderbolts and psychics, hopefully OHKOing them. And, while this is unlikely, gastly and haunter will have hopefully widdled your opponent’s Pokémon’s HP down. As long as they don’t have rest, you should have the upper hand!

Before I wrap this up, I’d like to explain why I didn’t use the dream eater strat. As in, hypnosis is banned because of sleep clause, but if the opposing pokemon rests, you could’ve done some massive damage. Well… The three main rest users in Gen 1 (as I know of) are snorlax, chansey, and slowbro. Slowbro negates dream eater, since it’s half psychic, and chansey and snorlax are extremely bulky. And while that won’t exactly be a problem, dream eater would really only be for dealing with them. But, if I recall, they both have decent special stats, so maybe not.

Anyways, I hope you found this post helpful!

Murm

formerly Murman
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hey! I really appreciate your enthusiasm for Gen 1 1v1. Its a very cool metagame. Unfortunately though, I don't think I could call your team good in its current state. First, I need to let you know that in 1v1, you have a team of three, but you only bring one Pokemon to a battle. Its like how in VGC you have a team of 6 but only bring 4 to the battle. I will also say unfortunately this team struggles with a lot of the top tiers of RBY 1v1. Alakazam and Starmie can outspeed and OHKO or 2HKO your entire team with Psychic, and none of your Pokemon can do significant damage back. Your only win condition is confuse ray, which of course is fairly unreliable. Tauros can also threaten your entire team with Earthquake, and Rhydon can OHKO every single member with Earthquake, even taking a Mega Drain from Haunter. Unfortunately, if you want to build a monotype team in this metagame, your only real options are Normal and Psychic, as those types are the only ones that have enough good mons that can cover each other's weaknesses. Gengar already isn't a super good Pokemon in the metagame, and unfortunately Haunter and Gastly aren't really even usable in my opinion. If you want some good partners for Gengar, I would recommend Snorlax (either Reflect or Amnesia + Thunderbolt), as its just in general the best Pokemon in the metagame and can help you with your Zam matchup and either your Tauros or Starmie matchup along with helping against Jolteon, or Thunder Wave Zapdos, which can handle all three of those Pokemon as well as helping against Exeggutor. If you are curious about anything else, feel free to ask me, and we're also working on RBY 1v1 analyses, so feel free to check those out once those are complete (currently 2 of them are in the QC phase, we just got started lol).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)