ORAS UU Viability Ranking Thread M2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing keeping Mega Pidgeot from going to S is the fact that it is utterly helpless against the best and most used Pokemon in the tier, Mega Aero. If Aero wasn't around then I have no doubts bird jesus would be S rank material, but just the mere presence of Aero is what pushes is down to A+.
I get that, and can agree to a certain extent. Although I feel like making a team around Pidgeot is so simple, [Insert Aero Counter], [insert Ground type].
I do respect the reasoning, and won't bring it up again unless Aero moves up.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
why is regular pert A- while mega is A? i don't see what megapert does better.
Megapert has both better bulk (though lack of Leftovers hurts it), a bit more Speed, a lot more Attack, and Swift Swim to sweep. I also makes a pretty cool offensive Stealth Rock setter if you want to play it that way.

Not really okay with having pert and toad in the same rank, toad's two niches that give it use over pert is knock off and an answer to crocune in water absorb. While cune can just PP stall it out. Swampert is a bit more superior because of the bulk and more of a offensive presence in band. I nom pert to go to A or Toad to go to B+. Also get sceptile outta B+, the meta is way too bulky offensive Oriented, things take hits then flat out ohko. (Entei, Nidoqueen, Crobat, etc) ps I typed this with my face.
mega sceptile in B+ is acceptable, I would even like to see it go to A- rank. all depends on the player who uses it

Wow, definitely seeing some unexpected developments in viability. I'd imagine Feraligatr was gonna be solid in UU, but never quite thought it'd be A+. Pretty cool tho, just shows how much Abilities can influence a Pokémon.

I'm gonna join in and say Mega Pidgeot should stay A+, since Mega Aerodactyl is still a thing and there's almost no way Big Burd is beating Lord Aero, aside from haxxy Hurricane confusion shenanigans. It's definitely a great Pokémon, but as the meta currently stands, it's best to keep it A+ for now. Definitely at the top of the rank, though, can see it move up on the off chance Mega Aerodactyl leaves, which I don't think is going to happen anytime soon.

I posted some artwork ideas in other threads, but here's one for this thread: Suicune and Salamence proudly standing in a field with Mega Aerodactyl roaring overhead. The scene is a field blown by a heavy windstorm, since Suicune has wind powers and both Salamence and Mega Aerodactyl are Flying-types. Just throwing out an idea I have here, is all.

Mega Aerodactyl is not the best mon in the tier, Suicune is smh. Aero loses to Suicune yet it is S rank thus losing to Aero shouldn't be reason to keep Pidgeot out of S rank. I personally don't care about these ranks but all these people saying "oh X mon is not that good beacuse it loses to Y mon which is great and too common" is just bugging me.

Also if you want to use a different mega on your team you are about to have some hard time versus Pidgeot. It just restricts teambuilding like a bitch. Flying is easily the best offensive type out there and has perfect coverage with fighting (see Hawlucha and Raptor) and ground type moves (see Baton Pass Togekiss + Dugtrio core). UU doesn't have many flying checks either (Thanks OUbama). Best ones are megas (see aero/aggron/ampharos) which are harder to fit into teams. Due to these reasons we have kicked out 90% of the flying types beacuse they just break the tier. I feel like Pidgeot is not much different than these and also broken despite not having as good coverage as others do thanks to its blazing speed (even before mega it is still pretty fast unlike Beedrill and Absol) and access to a broken stab move that has 110 base power, 30% chance to confuse, no chance to miss due to its ability (seriously who thought this was a good idea to make). Most people don't believe it is broken at the moment but they will realise how much of an issue it is in due time just like they did realise unbanning Zygarde and Megazam was a terrible idea and rebanned them.

Last edited:
I can agree that the one pokemon shouldn't keep it out of S. Suicune shuts down Aero, even on the switch if you predict right, and it's everywhere, so why not drop MAero?

Bird Jesus should go to S just for the amount of things it just shits on. Scarfers might give it a problem, but No Guard hax means that you've got wallbreaking potential and a good speed tier means it can also be a revenger.

Just my tired-ass opinion.

I've gotta disagree with Toxicroak in B while Machamp is in B+, with UU basically being a water park with hotter water, Toxicroak is able to reliably do work for a team, while on the other had Machamp has lost its niche as a Scald switchin with Heracross's revival. Honestly it looks like Machamp is basically just around for AV D-Punch and I don't get how that puts him above the amazing Swords Dancing, Sucker Punching, Gunk Shotting, Alpha Frog that is Toxicroak. Toxicroak up to B+, Machamp to B or B-
UU doesn't have many flying checks either (Thanks OUbama).
It is right to give him thanks and praise.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay say Suicune is the best Pokemon in the tier. Then we can atleast agree on the fact that Mega Aero is the most common Pokemon in the tier, a fact proved by both the ladder and SPL. This means that if you use Mega Pidgeot, then for your opponent, checking it is as easy as simply slapping Mega Aero on their team and calling it a day. And Mega Aero can actually be slapped on pretty much any team as a check to everything on offense, as one of the best sweepers in the tier, as a stall-breaker, and as a hard check to Pidgeot all in one. There is pretty much no reason not to use Mega Aero, which only makes life more difficult for Pidgeot. Aero being the most common Pokemon in the tier is more than enough reason to keep Mega Pidgeot out of S.

Sure Aero loses to Suicune, but you also have to take into account that losing to Suicune does not affect Aero's viability because it is also used for other things, specifically the roles I stated above of being the best check to offense along with being an amazing stall-breaker. Pidgeot's viability specifically depends on its ability to sweep, which is massively hindered by the prevalence of Aero.

Not to mention Aero can actually break past Suicune with a little prior damage if Suicune switches into Hone Claws:

+1 252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 165-195 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Pidgeot on the other hand has absolutely no chance of breaking through Mega Aero without significant confusion hax as Hurricane only 3HKOs even after Stealth Rock while Aero always outspeeds.

Another thing to consider is that using Pidgeot takes up a Mega slot, which means you are forgoing the use of Mega Aero. This puts further restriction on your own teambuilding meaning you need to take up team slots to check a lot of threats, which you could actually simply do by just using Aero lol. I'll say it again, there's pretty much no reason to not use Aero right now, and its prevalence is what keeps Pidgeot in A+.

super incoherent rn but why is tangrowth so low? the av set is bulky as hell on both sides, and fully defensive can eat a +1 ice punch from gatr and ko with rocks damage
idk what else specifically it does but its hella bulky with regenerator and av.
i guess it loses to mega pidgeot and is 2koed by mega aero but it can spam knock off on a lot of stuff

specs tangrowth can also cause havoc

also i guess what outclasses tangrowth as a tank?

On the topic of Mega Aero, I would not mind having Bronzong go up in Viability. It is an EZ switch to Aero 100% of the time as well as stoping Nidoqueen in its tracks. It is also a great dragon counter bar hydreigon, and if you run Spdef, you can somewhat stop a Pidgeot. I like how it is a steel type that does not get raped by nidoqueen and can wall what doublade and Fortress can with Stealth rock. Its kind of a best of both worlds all in one.
Edit: It can switch into a Tyrantrum too EZ

I'm just asking out of curiosity, because I've never seen one in action, but what exactly does regular Aero do that pulls it to B- rank? Is it kind of like M-Aero with Life Orb, or does it work more as a SR setter/defogger?

Vap has ice beam, for dragons, and doesnt have bad special attack. also, smh look at the stats. it's outclassed in everything besides hp, attack (doesnt really matter if you're using scald) and defense. i feel vap is better suited for balance teams, but i've never used alomomola. *reminded of kecleon* i made a case for kecleon last thread, post said "kecleon is bad, end of story". discussion ends. it isn't bad, but i think it deserves c rank. i wont be reposting everything,check the last thread if you want to know about it.

mega sceptile in B+ is acceptable, I would even like to see it go to A- rank. all depends on the player who uses it
That's your reason? Depends on the player? By that every pokemon that low ladder players uses once is bad. Or any mon high ladder uses is good. This is not a reasonable explanation on why it should stay in B+.

The main thing keeping Mega Pidgeot from going to S is the fact that it is utterly helpless against the best and most used Pokemon in the tier, Mega Aero. If Aero wasn't around then I have no doubts bird jesus would be S rank material, but just the mere presence of Aero is what pushes is down to A+.
Like in what situation because I run toxic on my Mpidgeot for the switch.

I have no arguments with Mega Amph being A Rank.
Can we please contribute in some way to the thread otherwise not post at all?
Sceptile is slower than aero and its most common set is walled by florges. There are better megas

Vap has ice beam, for dragons, and doesnt have bad special attack. also, smh look at the stats. it's outclassed in everything besides hp, attack (doesnt really matter if you're using scald) and defense. i feel vap is better suited for balance teams, but i've never used alomomola. *reminded of kecleon* i made a case for kecleon last thread, post said "kecleon is bad, end of story". discussion ends. it isn't bad, but i think it deserves c rank. i wont be reposting everything,check the last thread if you want to know about it.
Im ganna have to agree on the uu council with this one. Vap has some small niches to maybe keep it alive like baton pass and water absorb, but in all its outclassed.

I really want kecleon to be viable I do but your replays show your opponent making misplays, missing stone edges, and having bad team composition in order for your mini sweep to work. Kecleon isn't viable. If you want a sucker puncher use MurderKrow.

I didn't see milotic so did it drop?

It is waaaaay to dependent on hazards being gone and requires an incredible amount of support to even function properly plus it is incredibly weak and threatened by the most popular mons in the tier.
Top tier players showed its viability! That at least deserves a rank. If it really is dependent then it fits c rank

Last edited:
Like in what situation because I run toxic on my Mpidgeot for the switch.
You're still relying on the rest of your team to deal with Mega Aero while it accumulates Toxic damage, because if you leave Pidgeot in it just gets shredded by damn-near anything Aerodactyl has. In fact, running Toxic at all is just more evidence on how completely Aerodactyl destroys Pidgeot, if that's what you're relying on to get rid of Aero so Pidgeot can sweep.

Snorlax for A+

It's too good at it's job, and does 2 pretty well. Body slam is similar to scald and can punish checks, whether it is by weakening or crippling them. It certainly can 'wall significant portions of the metagame' and provide late game sweeping as well. Not to be overlooked when team building i believe it is as threatening as ever!

You're still relying on the rest of your team to deal with Mega Aero while it accumulates Toxic damage, because if you leave Pidgeot in it just gets shredded by damn-near anything Aerodactyl has. In fact, running Toxic at all is just more evidence on how completely Aerodactyl destroys Pidgeot, if that's what you're relying on to get rid of Aero so Pidgeot can sweep.
THings can take hits from maero. Every top tier player should be running a counter and or hard check to switch in for toxic damage and leverage. Hurricane can confuse as well. Im not saying mega pidggy can beat aero 1 on 1. Im saying it can ruin some of the momentum of an aero switch therefore giving your team leverage by switching into the appropriate pokemon.

Edit: Tangrowth Montage coming soon for B- rank

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alakazam from A+ to A

I'm not sure why Alakazam is so high in the rankings. The sashed set is the only good set, especially considering the increase of priority users in the tier (i.e. Doublade and Obama). I think that the suspect ladder's shift towards hyper offense caused Alakazam's viability to be overestimated. Sash 'Zam is a god in a hyper offense tier, since it stops stuff like Lucario from sweeping your team. However, now that the meta has returned to more bulky offense and balance, the kind of offensive teams that rely on Sash Alakazam aren't that good. Alakazam's great at what it does, but what it does isn't great enough for A+ rank in the current meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)