move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naive
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Scarf Heatran is the ultimate revenge killer, holding many dangerous threats at bay. This includes, but is not limited to Scizor, Shaymin-S, Salamence, Lucario, and even other Heatran. With its many resistances and immunity to Fire, Heatran can come in with a little prediction and force all of these Pokemon to switch or die. The Choice Scarf allows Heatran to outrun all unscarfed pokemon, save Ninjask, reaching an impressive 417 speed. If you keep your Heatran alive, it will keep you reasonably safe from any of the previously listed pokemon. With its high Speed, Special Attack and defenses, Heatran is a potent Pokemon indeed.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is your STAB move, forcing out Scizor, Lucario, Shaymin-S, Jirachi, Celebi, and more. Coming off of an impressive 359 Special Attack, it hurts even when resisted. Earth Power is an absolute necessity, due the the popularity of Heatran, and complements Fire Blast by removing other Fire-types. Giving an enemy Heatran a Flash Fire boost is dangerous, so a well predicted Earth Power will remove them in one clean blow. Hidden Power Ice allows you to revenge kill DD Salamence once it goes into an Outrage and gives you a 100% accurate move for taking out Shaymin-S. Hidden Power Grass allows you to wear down bulky Water counters, who will switch into your Fire attacks without fear. Dragon Pulse is also a usable option for greater neutral coverage while still denting the OU Dragons. Lastly, Explosion is for when Heatran is on the verge of death, and it will likely take something down with it.</p>

<p>Max speed is absolutely necessary. The primary reason is to outrun Timid Shaymin-S and base 130 Speed Pokemon. Additionally, given the popularity of Heatran, it is not a bad idea to at least Speed tie with opposing Choice Scarf Heatran.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Fire Blast / Overheat
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Flamethrower
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Choice Specs equipped, Heatran's Fire Blast has as much power as Specsmence's Draco Meteor, absolutely destroying most anything that doesn't resist it. If you can get a Flash Fire boost, even Blissey will fear it, possibly being 2HKOed with Stealth Rock damage. Overheat is even more ridiculous, with the first hit OHKOing most of the OU metagame, but the second hit is much weaker, due to Overheat's side effect of cutting Heatran's Special Attack by two stages. It's a matter of preference, and depends on the rest of your team. Do you need Heatran to be a hit and run attacker, handily nuking whatever switches in, or do you want consistent yet high damage? The accuracy is also an issue, with Overheat being 90% accurate, and Fire Blast being 85% accurate. Over the course of two turns however, Fire Blast does more damage. </p>

<p>Like with any Choice user, prediction is required. Quite often, your opponent will predict a Fire attack coming from miles away. They will likely switch in a bulky Water or a Flash Fire Pokemon. Hidden Power Grass should 2HKO the majority of bulky Waters, while Earth Power destroys Fire-types. By carefully removing these pokemon, Heatran can eventually set your team up for a sweep.</p>

<p>While not as much of a team supporter as the other Heatran sets, Choice Specs Heatran is worth considering as a high powered special sweeper, and will greatly benefit most teams. The Speed EVs allow you to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant Metagross. If you chose Fire Blast as your sweeping move, use Dragon Pulse in moveslot 4. If you chose Overheat, put Flamethrower in the final slot.</p>

[SET]
name: Rest + Sleep Talk
move 1: Lava Plume / Fire Blast
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers / Life Orb / Shed Shell
evs: 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Heatran lacks any form of recovery outside of Rest and Sleep Talk, his large amount of resistances and above average defenses make it a very good status absorber, and even a special wall. Typically it would be better to choose a special sponge that had access to instant recovery, but Heatran is sturdy enough that it doesn't matter; Rest and Sleep Talk is enough to keep it healthy. With Heatran's decent typing and good defenses it can easily take on special attackers such as Celebi, Rotom-Appliance, Jirachi and many others. This Heatran can even beat Blissey one on one, thanks to the burn rate of Lava Plume, and the Special Defense dropping effects of Earth Power. Rest makes Blissey's status attempts futile, and heals off any Seismic Toss damage.</p>

<p> Lava Plume makes physical attackers think twice before switching in, having a nice 30% chance of inflicting a burn on them. Fire Blast can be used because of it's high power, and you don't have to worry about it's PP thanks to Sleep Talk. However, your burn rate is reduced, making it a lesser option. Earth Power has nice coverage with Lava Plume, hitting Fire types and Rock types who resist it. Any team that needs a good sturdy tank should give Rest Sleep Talk Heatran a try. It hits reasonably hard, resists a huge amount of attacks, and it can both absorb and inflict status fairly reliably. Shed Shell allows escape from Dugtrio, which would be important if the mole were more popular.</p>

<p>A more offensive spin on the Rest Sleep Talk set is achieved by changing to Timid nature, and using an EV spread of 248 HP, 36 SpA and 224 Spe. This outruns Adamant Heracross. Use a Life Orb and put Fire Blast over Lava Plume. Thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk you can still easily defeat Blissey. </p>

[SET]
name: Burn Support
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Stealth Rock / Substitute
move 3: Overheat
move 4: Roar / Earth Power
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 240 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Heatran is very sneaky. It sets up Stealth Rock as soon as possible, while hopefully luring out a Salamence or Gyarados. Then, later in the battle, it can Will-o-wisp the respective counter switching into it, or Roar in order to chip away at its health with Stealth Rock. If setting up Stealth Rock is not required, Heatran can use Substitute, easing the opportunity to inflict Burn on the incoming physical sweeper.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp is an extremely effective move, and can seriously debilitate the opponent if used cleverly. The most common OU sweepers: Salamence, Gyarados and Tyranitar all have few qualms about switching into Heatran, and therefore frequently find themselves burned on turn one. With its high Special Defense, Heatran can even afford to take a Suicune's Surf and Roar it away to deal with later in the battle.</p>

<p>This Heatran is an especially effective Gengar check. 359 Special Attack Life Orb Gengar's Focus Blast will never KO Heatran, even after Heatran switches into a Shadow Ball. Meanwhile, Heatran will always OHKO 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar with Overheat. Essentially, this set will lure out and cripple the most common physical sweepers, and will also effectively deal with the most common special sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Taunt
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Metal Sound / Stealth Rock
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Earth Power / Hidden Power Grass
evs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 30 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Because of its reasonable bulk and plethora of resistances, Taunt Heatran can both prevent your opponent from setting up and inflicting nasty status attacks. Metal Sound is a very effective way to beat Blissey. Merely Taunt as they switch in Blissey, and then it will be unable to use Thunder Wave, Wish, Softboiled or Protect. You can then Metal Sound them, making Fire Blast a clean 3HKO. Earth Power is for other Heatran, but you will have to catch them on the switch. Hidden Power Grass allows you to dent bulky Water counters after a Metal Sound. This Blissey killing capability is very important for teams that are easily walled by her, and the surprise value should not be underestimated. Taunt Heatran is easily as effective as the other sets, and is a dangerous threat in its own right. </p>

<p> Unfortunately, this Heatran has to be a lot slower than the other builds to be effective. 380 HP allows Heatran to take 4 Seismic Tosses, even after Stealth Rock damage, and still survive with 1 HP left. This allows you to defeat any kind of Blissey, no matter what moveset they are running. The Special Attack is maximized for a high damage output. The remaining Speed EVs, by an interesting coincidence, put you at 197, which outruns no speed base 80s. </p>

<p> This Heatran makes a fine lead, as no one in their right mind would Taunt a Heatran. The threat of being Scarfed will usually convince Azelf to set up Stealth Rock and forgo Taunt. This allows you to set up Stealth Rock fairly safely, and then start attacking. It's a great deal harder to beat Blissey as it takes as many hits to kill, but you can still take it down if you get a Flash Fire boost. </p>

[Other Options]

<p> Hidden Power Electric can get surprise kills on Gyarados, especially if you use it on Choice Scarf Heatran. Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast on many of the sets if you fear accuracy. Heatran's signature attack Magma Storm can be used to trap something like Blissey and Explode on them, freeing you to sweep with special attackers. This is risky though as Magma Storm only has 70% accuracy. Dragon Pulse deserves a mention, as it is your best weapon against Kingdra. It still hurts the other dragons significantly as well. For item choices, Shuca Berry and Shed Shell can work on a few of the sets. Shuca Berry allows you to survive a powerful Ground attack, which is a good way to kill enemy Heatran. Shed Shell allows you to escape Dugtrio. A Salac Berry is usable for a Speed boost when coupled with Substitute.</p>

<p> Do not be tempted to use moves like Dark Pulse, Flash Cannon and AncientPower. Their type coverage is poor, and Heatran's other moves hit almost everything much harder. </p>

[EVs]

<p>Always maximize Heatran's Special Attack unless you are running the Rest + Sleep Talk set, or on the Stealth Rock set. Then decide what you would like to outrun. 128 EVs and a Modest nature outruns Adamant Tyranitar. Modest and 216 EVs outruns Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant Metagross. On the Scarf set, just maximize Speed. You don't want to lose a speed tie with another Scarftran if it comes down to it. </p>

<h2> Legal IVs for Hidden Power </h2>

<p>HP GRASS:</p>
<p>Modest: 2 ATK, 30 SPATK</p>
<p>Naive: 26 ATK, 30 SPATK</p>
<p>Timid: 2 ATK, 30 SPATK</p>

<p>HP ICE:</p>
<p>Naive: 30 ATK, 30 DEF</p>
<p>Timid: 22 ATK, 30 DEF</p>

<p>HP ELECTRIC:</p>
<p>Timid: 30 SPATK</p>

[Opinion]

<p>Heatran is the anti-metagame Pokemon, capable of keeping top threats such as Scizor, Lucario, Shaymin-S, and Salamence in check. With the ability to counter some of the biggest threats in the game and neutrality to Stealth Rock he is far beyond the level of any Fire-type in Pokemon. The secondary Steel typing gives him a lot of good resistances, and Flash Fire allows him to take on his fellow Fire-types fairly easily. While the weaknesses to extremely common moves such as Earthquake, Surf, and Close Combat hinder its walling potential its ability as a defensive Pokemon should not be overlooked. With decent defensive typing, neutrality to Stealth Rock, and one of the highest Special Attack stats in the OverUsed tier Heatran should not be underestimated. /p>

<p>Heatran will be seen on a lot of teams, so be prepared for it. It's a sturdy tank, a great team player, and a frightening sweeper. Heatran is among the most used Pokemon for a good reason. It's easily one of the most important pokemon you will both use and face in your competitive battling experience. </p>

[Counters]

<p> Bulky Waters such as Milotic, Suicune, Slowking, Vaporeon, and Swampert can counter Heatran quite effectively, but Specs boosted Hidden Power Grass can take them down. Milotic is the best of these, as it has Recover, and doesn't mind being burned by Lava Plume or Will-O-Wisp as this activates Marvel Scale. Gyarados can handle Heatran on occasion, but Stealth Rock and potential burns hinder this somewhat. Porygon2 is an interesting counter. It traces Flash Fire and isn't weak to any other moves. Porygon2 can then paralyze Heatran and wear it down with Thunderbolt, using Recover as necessary. Kingdra can come in on Heatran and set up unless it switches into a Dragon Pulse. </p>

<p> Blissey is a fairly good counter to Heatran, provided she has some means of hitting it. With the increase in Fire attacks thanks to Scizor, getting a Flash Fire boost is easier, which means Blissey might have to take boosted Fire attacks. Explosion also gets rid of Blissey, but at the cost of Heatran's life. Heatran counters itself as long as it doesn't come into Earth Power. Adamant Scarfed Dugtrio can revenge kill Heatran no matter the set. Magnezone can also revenge kill Heatran if it is caught locked into Hidden Power or Dragon Pulse. </p>

<p> Snorlax can come into Heatran with relative impunity thanks to Thick Fat and threaten with Earthquake. Hariyama does the same, but uses a Fighting attack instead. Like Blissey, both will fall to Explosion. A Careful Tyranitar can shrug off any hits not boosted by Choice Specs, even Earth Power, which barely 4HKOs. </p>

<p> Most Heatran you face will be Choiced. Take advantage of this when deciding what you will switch in. </p>

My main nitpick about Heatran is why is it Naive? I always thought -Def was better for Heatran because it can actually survive Surfs from every bulky Water in the game easily. However, Close Combats and Earthquakes are a different story. Ideally, you don't want to take Surfs from Bulky Waters, but if you have to finish off one in two hits... why not? I recommend Hasty as the prefered nature.

I was thinking more along the lines of Scizor's bullet punches, and Salamence's Outrages... but if most people use Hasty I will change it.

eh i like naive for bringing in heatran on outrages. that's probably the most common attack i bring scarfheatran in on actually and the same is true for alot of offensive teams im sure. also lol bullet punch xD

anyways make sure that resttalk is pretty much gouki's evs as the current ones are lackluster.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38315

i'd also slash firebalst /lava plume, earthworm and i can testify to the effectiveness of such a set.
subheatran will also need a set. metal sound is other options material imo

I agree with RaikouLover. I also think Fire Blast should be primary to Overheat on the Specs set, having used it before primarily with Overheat. With a FF boost it's doing massive damage to bulky waters and Blissey, possibly or definately 2HKOs, and the spatk drop from Overheat will ruin that for you. Also add Dragon Pulse then as a primary option over flamethrower imo, its important to have still

Nature on first set should be Hasty / Naive... both are good, depends on the players preference... I always use Hasty though.

The Specs Set should be Fire Blast, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, Hidden Power Grass or Electric; with a Flash Fire boost and some residual damage (SR + Sandstorm), not even Blissey will survive 2 Fire Blasts (43.78% - 51.61%).
Standard MixPert and Bulky Gyarados will also be met with a 2HKO 100% of the time.

Dragon Pulse OHKOs all Dragons with the Specs boost (hi Kingdra locked into Outrage) and is useful for locked Salamence too.

like i said fireblast on the resttalk set is really awesome and i+others can vouch for its effectiveness. I think i deserves to be slashed in.

I'd also mention in the EV spread that a more offensive spread can be used as well. I remember Earthworm inspired me to use Timid on RestTalk Tran and something like 270 speed for Heracross in conjuction with Fire Blast. Just an idea though...

With its many resistances
Possessive.

staying in means certain fiery doom
Firey is not a word.

due to the popularity of Heatran.
Self-explanatory.

and the fact that Heatran can counter itself fairly decently
The not then.

of cutting Heatran's Special Attack by two stages
By not but.

Over the course of two turns, Fire Blast does more damage
I'd add "however" in between "Blast" and "does".

Choice Specs Heatran is worth considering as a high powered Special Sweeper,
Sounds better.

glances off his metallic hide
Self-explanatory.

Thanks have a nice day ^^.

Its worth noting that resttalk heatran will always live through neutral 252 heatran's earth power (like scarftran) if sr is not down. if it is down it dies 50% of the time, and if it switches in and gets leftovers recovery, it does 15% of the time, ohkoing back with it's own earth power.

basically it can act as an emergency check against opposing scarftrans if it has full health, which catches alot of people off guard

not sure why you havent slashed in fire blast on it either.

[SET]
name: Lure
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Earth Power
item: Life Orb
nature: Hasty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 Spe / 252 SpA

I've been running this set for ages. Always gets its kill against Blissey / Bulky water. Stealth Rock on turn 1, they assume you are Scarfed with SR for some reason and stay in... haha. Worth a look?

Looks interesting RL, is it supposed to be a lead? Maybe a bit more attack for OHKOing Suicune... I'll run some calculations. I am willing to add any set as long as it appears to be viable and non gimmicky.

@ Gorm: I put Fire Blast in the comments, where I also mentioned the offensive spread. I assumed Fire Blast was for the offensive Restalker... correct? I am sort of not liking the idea on Fire Blast on the regular one...

@ Chris: Forgot Milotic but i already have Hariyama and Snorlax :)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Special defensive Milotic is the absolute best counter. Thick Fat Snorlax is definitely able to completely shut him down too.

I actually use Timid on my Scarf Heatran TBH, because I want to take a weak Surf or an Outrage. Oh and HP Electric is way better than HP Grass IMO on the scarf set.

That spread is just a generic Heatran I made a while back on my Yanmega / Jirachi team. Heatran just uses its resistances to lay a Stealth Rock. It can sweep a bit, then blow up. Works particularly well with anything that hates Bulky Waters, like Gyarados or SubPetaya Surf / Ice Beam Empoleon. Theres really nothing special to it. Rather than wasting time taunting Blissey, just go boom. And as far as I know, Suicune and Swampert are the only Waters that have survived it (both barely... with like 5%)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/heatran

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Fire Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naive
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Choice Scarf Heatran is the ultimate revenge killer, holding many dangerous threats at bay. This includes, but is not limited to Scizor, Shaymin-S, Salamence, Lucario and even other Heatran. With its many resistances<no comma> and immunity to Fire, Heatran can come in with a little prediction and force all of these Pokémon to switch or die. The Choice Scarf allows Heatran to outrun all unscarfed pokemon, save Electrode, Ninjask and Deoxys-S, reaching an impressive 415 speed. If you keep your Heatran alive, it will keep you reasonably safe from any of the above listed pokemon. With its high Speed, Special Attack, and defenses, Heatran is a potent pokemon indeed. </p>

<p> Fire Blast is your main STAB move, forcing out Scizor, Lucario, Skymin, Jirachi, Celebi, and more; staying in means certain fiery doom. Coming off of an impressive 359 Special Attack, it hurts even when resisted. Earth Power is an absolute necessity, due the the popularity of Heatran. Giving an enemy Heatran a Flash Fire boost is dangerous, so a well predicted Earth Power will remove them in one clean blow. Hidden Power Ice allows you to revenge kill DDmence, who, thanks to his new toy Outrage, is a much bigger threat than before. Hidden Power Grass allows you to whittle down bulky Water counters, who will switch into your Fire attacks without fear. Lasty, Explosion if for when Heatran is on the verge of death, and it will likely take something down with it. Stealth Rock and repeated beatings from Seed Flares, Bullet Punches, and Ice Beams will eventually take their toll on Heatran, so you might as well do some damage with it if you have to let it die. </p>

<p> Max Speed is absolutely necessary. As Heatran is quite popular, and counters itself decently, you will want to at worst tie with other Choice Scarf Heatran. The extra HP gain won't help that much either. </p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Fire Blast / Overheat
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Flamethrower
item: Choice Specs
evs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> With Choice Specs equipped, Heatran's Fire Blast has as much power as Specsmence's Draco Meteor, absolutely destroying most anything that doesn't resist it. If you can get a Flash Fire boost, even Blissey will fear it, possibly being 2HKOed with Stealth Rock damage. Overheat is even more ridiculous, with the first hit OHKOing most of the OU metagame, but the second hit is much weaker, thanks to the side effect of cutting Heatran's Special Attack by two stages. However, even then, it's still powered by 295 Special Attack and hurts quite badly. It's a matter of preference, and depends on the rest of your team. Do you need Heatran to be a hit and run attacker, handily nuking whatever switches in, or do you want consistent yet high damage? The accuracy is also an issue, with Overheat being 90% accurate, and Fire Blast being 85% accurate. Over the course of two turns however, Fire Blast does more damage. </p>

<p> Like with any Choice user, prediction is required. Quite often, your opponent will smell a Fire attack coming from miles away. They will likely switch in a bulky Water or a Flash Fire Pokémon. Hidden Power Grass should 2HKO the majority of bulky Waters, while Earth Power destroys Fire types. By carefully removing these pokemon, Heatran can eventually set itself up for a Flamethrower sweep. </p>

<p> While not as much of a team supporter as the other Heatran sets, Choice Specs Heatran is worth considering as a high powered special Sweeper, and will greatly benefit most teams. The Speed EVs allow you to outrun Jolly Tyranitar, Adamant Metagross, and more. If you chose Fire Blast as your sweeping move, use Dragon Pulse in moveslot 4. If you chose Overheat, put Flamethrower in the final slot.</p>

[SET]
name: Rest + Sleep Talk
move 1: Lava Plume
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers / Life Orb / Shed Shell
evs: 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Heatran lacks any form of recovery outside of Rest and Sleep Talk, his large amount of resistances and above average defenses make him a very good status absorber, and even a special wall. Typically it would be better to choose a special sponge that had access to instant recovery, but Heatran is sturdy enough that it doesn't matter; Rest and Sleep Talk is enough to keep it healthy. Any Special Attack, bar Surfs, Earth Powers, and Focus Blasts, glance off his metallic hide. Specsmence, Porygon-Z, and Azelf are all dealt with quickly and easily. It's probably the best Azelf counter in the game. This Heatran can even beat Blissey one on one, thanks to the burn rate of Lava Plume, and the Special Defense dropping effect of Earth Power. Rest makes Blissey's status attempts futile, and heals off any Seismic Toss damage.</p>

<p> Lava Plume makes physical attackers think twice before switching in, having a nice 30% chance of inflicting a burn on them. Earth Power has some pretty nice coverage with Lava Plume, hitting Fire types and Rock types who resist Lava Plume. Any team that needs a good sturdy tank should give Rest Sleep Talk Heatran a try. It hits reasonably hard, resists a huge amount of attacks, and it can both absorb and inflict status fairly reliably. Shed Shell allows escape from Dugtrio, which would be important if the mole were more popular.</p>

<p> A more offensive spin on the Rest Sleep Talk set is achieved by changing to Timid nature, and using an EV spread of 248 HP, 36 SpA and 224 Spe. This outruns Adamant Heracross. Use a Life Orb and put Fire Blast over Lava Plume. Thanks to Sleep Talk, running out of PP for this attack will not be an issue, and you can still defeat Blissey. </p>

[SET]
name: Taunt
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Metal Sound / Stealth Rock
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Earth Power / Hidden Power Grass
evs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 30 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Because of its reasonable bulk and plethora of resistances, Taunt Heatran can both prevent your opponent from setting up and inflicting nasty status attacks. Metal Sound is a very effective way to beat Blissey. Merely select Taunt as they switch in Blissey, and then it will be unable to use Thunder Wave, Wish, Softboiled, or Protect. You can then Metal Sound them, making Fire Blast a clean 3HKO. Earth Power is for other Heatran, but you will have to catch them on the switch. Hidden Power Grass allows you to dent bulky Water counters after a Metal Sound. This Blissey killing capability is very important for teams that are easily walled by her, and the surprise value should not be underestimated. Taunt Heatran is easily as effective as the other sets, and is a dangerous threat in its own right. </p>

<p> Unfortunately, this Heatran has to be a lot slower than the other builds to be effective. However, the EVs are still very important. 380 HP allows Heatran to take 4 Seismic Tosses, even after Stealth Rock damage, and still survive with 1 HP left. This allows you to defeat any kind of Blissey, no matter what moveset they are running. The Speed EVs, by an interesting coincidence, put you at 197, which outruns no speed base 80s. </p>

<p> This Heatran makes a fine lead, as no one in their right mind would Taunt a Heatran. The threat of being Scarfed will usually convince Azelf to set up Stealth Rock and forgo Taunt. This allows you to set up Stealth Rock fairly safely, and then start attacking. It's a great deal harder to beat Blissey as it takes as many hits to kill but you can still take it down if you get a Flash Fire boost. </p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p> Hidden Power Electric can get surprise kills on Gyarados, especially if you use it on Choice Scarf Heatran. Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast on many of the sets if you fear accuracy. Heatran's signature attack Magma Storm can be used to trap something like Blissey and Explode on them, freeing you to sweep with special attackers. This is risky though as Magma Storm only has 70% accuracy. Dragon Pulse deserves a mention, as it is your hardest hitting weapon against Kingdra. It still hurts the other dragons significantly as well. Heatran also gets Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock for support options. </p>

<p> Do not be tempted to use moves like Dark Pulse, Flash Cannon, and AncientPower. Their type coverage is poor, and Heatran's other moves hit much harder. </p>

[EVs]

<p> Always maximize Heatran's Special Attack unless you are running the Rest + Sleep Talk set. Then decide what you would like to outrun. 128 EVs and a Modest nature outruns Adamant Tyranitar. Modest and 216 EVs outruns Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant Metagross. On the Scarf set, just maximize Speed. You don't want to lose a speed tie with another Scarftran if it comes down to it. </p>

[OPINION]

<p> Not much has changed for Heatran in Platinum, but the world around him is vastly different. Heatran went from an interesting Fire type legendary to a top tier superstar. With the ability to counter some of the biggest threats in the game, and no Stealth Rock weakness, he is far beyond the level of any Fire type in Pokemon. The secondary Steel typing gives him a lot of good resistances, and Flash Fire allows him to take on his fellow Fire types fairly easily. His damage output is absolutely ridiculous, with one of the highest Special Attack stats in the Overused tier, and high base power moves like Fire Blast to take advantage of it. </p>

<p> Prepare to see a lot of Heatran. It is used on a large majority of teams because it counters the biggest threats in Pokemon Platinum. It's a sturdy tank, great team player, and a frightening sweeper. Heatran is among the most used Pokemon for a good reason. It's easily one of the most important pokemon you will use and face in your competitive battling experience. </p>

[COUNTERS]

<p> Bulky Waters such as Suicune, Slowking, Vaporeon and Swampert can counter Heatran quite effectively, but Specs boosted Hidden Power Grass can take them down. Gyarados can handle Heatran on occasion, but Stealth Rock and potential burns hinder this somewhat. Porygon2 is an interesting counter. It traces Flash Fire and isn't weak to any other moves. Outside of paralyzing Heatran it cannot do much back, unless it uses Hidden Power Ground. Kingdra can come in on Heatran and set up unless it switches into a Dragon Pulse. </p>

<p> Blissey remains a fairly good counter to Heatran in Platinum. With the increase in Fire attacks thanks to Scizor, getting a Flash Fire boost is easier, which means Blissey might have to take boosted Fire attacks. Explosion also gets rid of Blissey, but at the cost of Heatran's life. Heatran counters itself as long as it doesn't come into Earth Power. Adamant Scarfed Dugtrio can revenge kill Heatran no matter the set. Magnezone can also revenge kill Heatran if it is caught locked into Hidden Power or Dragon Pulse. </p>

<p> Snorlax can come into Heatran with relative impunity thanks to Thick Fat and threaten the toaster with Earthquake. Hariyama does the same, but uses a Fighting attack instead. Like Blissey, both will fall to Explosion.

<p> Most Heatran you face will be Choiced. Take advantage of this when deciding what you will switch in. </p>

There you go, Raikoulover... I boosted the attack a bit, now it can even OHKO the toughest of Suicune. Gets a bonus point in Special Attack too!

>:)

@ Misaki-Chi: I made 99% of the changes, but I left "Thunderwave" as is, because that is how it is spelt in game. I changed Ancientpower to how it is spelt in-game so why be inconstent, right?

I am sort of not liking the idea on Fire Blast on the regular one...
not liking the idea takes precedence over playtesting o_o

i shouldnt press the issue without backing myself up here, and i don't really have any calcs to post. i just hate being set up on and stab fireblast punishes alot of stuff "guaranteed" compared to lava plumes' "i hope they get burned" kinda attitude. plus low pp is less of a problem with resttalk.

honestly mentioning the offensive version should be enough to make people realize *hey i could use bulky evs and fire blast*, but maybe im a nut for mixing and matching/best of both worlds stuff. (looks at bold max hp zapdos with lifeorb ^_^

What, I put it on the offensive one... you want it on the bulky one too? It's not that I don't like Fire Blast, it's just that, I dunno, Lava Plume seems to be better on something with such staying power. Every time I used Restalk Heatran I ran Lava Plume because of that nice burn rate.

I'll put it in a slash, but NOT as the first option. Deal?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Substitute Heatran should be here somewhere. It's an effective set especially with everyone fooled by almost every Heatran carrying Choice Scarf. Hidden Power Electric / Fire Blast / Earth Power for the attacks (although Lava Plume could work over Fire Blast). Leftovers is the item choice but now I'm thinking with Timid nature and all... it could use Salac Berry.

The Choice Scarf allows Heatran to outrun all unscarfed pokemon, save Electrode, Ninjask and Deoxys-S, reaching an impressive 415 speed.
Scarf Heatran reaches 417 speed, so it does in fact outrun unscarfed Electrode.

That's all he is asking for, Skiddle.

On the the RestTalk set, Gouki's spread Heatran takes Focus Blasts and Surfs actually quite well. Standard Vaporeon sometimes 3HKOes! I would put the word "boosted" before Surfs, Earth Powers, and Focus Blasts"

In the EVs mention that the Stealth Rock set also does not use Max SpA. I'm also not liking the references to Heatran as "toaster", considering there actually is a toaster pokemon, it could be confusing.

ok, I will remove the toaster comments... I am used to calling it a toaster because of one of my shoddy teams...

Anyway, going to add a Substitute Salac set, remove the little .gifs (which apparently make it hard to load into SCMS) and fix some comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)