Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
:roaring moon: 4
:gouging fire: 4

These two are the biggest priorities in my opinion. A lot of the issues people have with the tier could be traced to these two. Gouging Fire for instance has helped constrain teams to such an extent that it is close to impossible to counter. DD sets with Breaking Swipe can win the 1v1 with Dondozo, Banded has zero switch ins. Defensive DD can also win games quite easily as well. I don't think this is a sun issue, moreso just a pressing concern of one mon crushing entire teams. The only reason this did not get a 5 is because I think we are past the point where quickbanning things is a good idea. This should be our first priority to test.

Similarly, Roaring Moon is also crushing balance as well. Taunt DD just crushes entire teams and can make so much progress. I think it is less broken than say, Gouging Fire because it is easier to check. Gambit and Tusk are top tier mons right now that can at least be soft checks to Roaring Moon, but both are kind of tera reliant and Moon can still beat them. I think I would look into Gouging Fire first, but this is still a top priority.

:raging bolt: 3

I was close to giving this a 2, since I am slowly coming to terms with this mon. I think it is a strong wincon that pushes 50/50s with Tera Fairy is dumb, but with the way Tera is in our tier that is just something that happens. Raging Bolt is super solid at breaking and/or sweeping, it’s a high quality mon for sure. But I don’t think this is a pressing concern at the moment. I’d keep an eye on it since I feel the 50/50s it can cause with Tera are more punishing than say, Gambit and Volc, but I feel about the same and would probably give it a 2 if I was more used to it if that makes sense. I’ve internalized Gambit and Volc’s chicanery and am more ok with it there as a result.

:kingambit: 2
:volcarona: 2

I have pretty similar thoughts on these two. Yes, they are two of the most efficient wincons in the tier. Yes, they are meta defining mons. But I am kind of ok with that? They both offer plenty of defensive synergy to the tier and make the tier better as a whole. I think that banning either of these right now would just be a hasty call. Is it one I can sympathize with? Sure, but I think that these are symptoms of the meta, not the cause.

:ogerpon wellspring: 2

I know a lot of folks are getting frustrated at Woger, but imo it is far from the biggest issue in the meta. Yes, it punishes fat teams, but so do Roaring Moon and Gouging Fire. I feel like those two are doing a lot more damage to fat teams than Woger is. If you hit Roaring Moon and/or Gouging, Balance is freed up to attempt to check Waterpon right now, which is hard when the tier has so many brutal balance breakers. It’s dumb rn not for its own reasons but because it’s frustrating to handle all the balance breakers in the tier at once.

:Gholdengo: 2

I hate Ghold, but now is not the time to ban it. It wouldn’t fix the hazards meta much: Defog has garbo distribution and the good spinners have serviceable Gholdengo mus anyway. It’s gonna be annoying and banning it would make our… one or two defoggers more useable, but I don’t think that’s a pressing concern. If Gliscor or ZapTingKing cores take over, we can talk.

:Zamazenta: 1

Zamazenta on the survey felt like a weird choice. I think it’s best set rn, boots AoA, is a great healthy presence in the meta. It’s fast and helps stop the bleeding of the metagame if that makes sense. IDBP I think is fine, but it’s a mu fish that any balance or bulky team can handle alright and needs to be played very carefully there. Banded is ok rn but im not a fan of it right in this meta. It’s a good mon, but I could think of five or so mons I’d have put here instead of it like Dragapult.

:Garganacl: 1

Honestly shocked this even made the survey right now. Garg is annoying but I’d have gone with Pult or something like that instead for it. Heck, I’d have gone with Ting Lu over it.

Other mons:
:Dragapult: is Lowkey cracked rn and super dumb, I’d have given it a 2 at least.

:Zamazenta crowned: free my man blud

Last edited:
Thank you for the survey, Finch. I get to make another salt post!

Enjoyment: 4
Competitive: 2

The metagame is gradually getting more enjoyable. However, it is still a huge matchup fish. The builder is overstressed and so many battles just come down to lead and Tera 50/50s.

Tera Restriction: YES
Tera Ban: YES

Tera is disastrous for the singles metagame. Nothing about this gimmick is "fun" or "healthy" in my opinion.

Gouging Fire: 4
Fairly certain this mon is banworthy. It's unique typing makes the counterplay slightly less prone to Tera bullshit compared to some of the other abusers, which is why I won't give it a 5. It also trades speed tier for enormous bulk. Standard Dragon Dance counterplay can contain him somewhat. Someone mentioned Roaring Moon is a skills check. Gouging Fire is better than Moon, and I wholeheartedly agree with the "skills check" assessment. This mon is pretty cheap, but there is dumber shit on this list.

Ogerpon-W: 4
Shes fairly banworthy as well. Same thing as GF with being less apt to pulling Tera bullshit out of her tail. Otherwise, she would be a 5 by now.

Roaring Moon: 2
Moon is strong but as mentioned above I agree it is a skill check. It's power isn't game breaking before a DD, its physical bulk is mediocre, and its typing before and after Tera Flying (I've never seen alternative Tera) has liabilities.

Volcarona: 5
I've always liked Volcarona but Quiver Dance + Tera is not competitively healthy.

Raging Bolt: 5
It is special Kingambit with more initial power, higher speed tier, and arguably better offensive coverage (especially in weather). Then throw Tera on top of it. Banworthy.

Kingambit: 5
I don't know why this mon is still here. Banworthy.

Zamazenta: 5
I don't think mons that invalidate an entire playstyle are healthy for the metagame. Zama's ability to run the table vs. physically based HO teams in conjuction with outspeeding all special attackers not named Dragpult is not competitively healthy. Banworthy.

Gholdengo: 5
I've defended this mon in the past but the ability block Defog in addition to spin blocking makes it banworthy.

Garganacl: 5
Unless you have Magic Guard Clefable or Covert Cloak (which is not viable in the hazards + offensive metagame), this mon is guaranteed to make progress with just one button. On top of reliable recovery, great bulk, and unpredictable Tera typing. Banworthy.

extra: Gliscor
Fuck this toxic piece of shit. It is similar to Garganacl in progress making but is faster and doesn't need Tera. It outlasts Ice Spinner Tusk. Banworthy.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Someone do please explain to me, a 1-3 across the board -pilled gamer, how the tera question is manipulative because i just cant see how that is

Thank you for the survey, Finch. I get to make another salt post!

Enjoyment: 4
Competitive: 2

The metagame is gradually getting more enjoyable. However, it is still a huge matchup fish. The builder is overstressed and so many battles just come down to lead and Tera 50/50s.

Tera Restriction: YES
Tera Ban: YES

Tera is disastrous for the singles metagame. Nothing about this gimmick is "fun" or "healthy" in my opinion.

Gouging Fire: 4
Fairly certain this mon is banworthy. It's unique typing makes the counterplay slightly less prone to Tera bullshit compared to some of the other abusers, which is why I won't give it a 5. It also trades speed tier for enormous bulk. Standard Dragon Dance counterplay can contain him somewhat. Someone mentioned Roaring Moon is a skills check. Gouging Fire is better than Moon, and I wholeheartedly agree with the "skills check" assessment. This mon is pretty cheap, but there is dumber shit on this list.

Ogerpon-W: 4
Shes fairly banworthy as well. Same thing as GF with being less apt to pulling Tera bullshit out of her tail. Otherwise, she would be a 5 by now.

Moon is strong but as mentioned above I agree it is a skill check. It's power isn't game breaking before a DD, its physical bulk is mediocre, and its typing before and after Tera Flying (I've never seen alternative Tera) has liabilities.

I've always liked Volcarona but Quiver Dance + Tera is not competitively healthy.

Raging Bolt: 5
It is special Kingambit with more initial power, higher speed tier, and arguably better offensive coverage (especially in weather). Then throw Tera on top of it. Banworthy.

Kingambit: 5
I don't know why this mon is still here. Banworthy.

Zamazenta: 5
I don't think mons that invalidate an entire playstyle are healthy for the metagame. Zama's ability to run the table vs. physically based HO teams in conjuction with outspeeding all special attackers not named Dragpult is not competitively healthy. Banworthy.

Gholdengo: 5
I've defended this mon in the past but the ability block Defog in addition to spin blocking makes it banworthy.

Garganacl: 5
Unless you have Magic Guard Clefable or Covert Cloak (which is not viable in the hazards + offensive metagame), this mon is guaranteed to make progress with just one button. On top of reliable recovery, great bulk, and unpredictable Tera typing. Banworthy.

extra: Gliscor
Fuck this toxic piece of shit. It is similar to Garganacl in progress making but is faster and doesn't need Tera. It outlasts Ice Spinner Tusk. Banworthy.
i find it ironic how you say Roaring Moon is a skill check and rate it a 2, but then you rank Zamazenta and Gargnacl at 5 as if they should be quick banned right away. If anything those mons are skill checks as well.

Someone do please explain to me, a 1-3 across the board -pilled gamer, how the tera question is manipulative because i just cant see how that is
Some users believe the ban crowd for Tera is larger than it appears. But they believe a good amount in the ban crowd don’t want a complete ban, just a limitation. By the survey saying, should Tera be banned. Yes / No, these users believe this makes many players who would like action but oppose a complete ban uncertain of what to pick. Since they don’t want a complete ban, they pick no, messing up the true numbers.

Some users believe the ban crowd for Tera is larger than it appears. But they believe a good amount in the ban crowd don’t want a complete ban, just a limitation. By the survey saying, should Tera be banned. Yes / No, these users believe this makes many players who would like action but oppose a complete ban uncertain of what to pick. Since they don’t want a complete ban, they pick no, messing up the true numbers.
There is also literally a question about tera restrication, which fills the quota for that sort of question. I kinda don't like how people are implying that it is more limiting than it is, you can simply say you want a tera restriction.
They also don't realise that the 'varied' options will make tera more unlikely to get banned because the no tera crowd has one option, while they have multiple. It would actually be more disengenuous for them to have multiple options because it would be set up to fail. Having only three options gives each crowd the best chance of succeeding, which is ideal.

i find it ironic how you say Roaring Moon is a skill check and rate it a 2, but then you rank Zamazenta and Gargnacl at 5 as if they should be quick banned right away. If anything those mons are skill checks as well.
Interesting. I find Roaring Moon to be a strong mon that is competitively fine. Zama and Garganacl in my opinion are NOT competitively healthy for the tier for different reasons. Zama is a matchup merchant that runs the table vs. HO builds on team preview. Garganacl is a toxic progress-maker with only two obscure methods of counterplay. I simply do not believe that something has to sweep you 6-0 to be overall bad for the tier.

Interesting. I find Roaring Moon to be a strong mon that is competitively fine. Zama and Garganacl in my opinion are NOT competitively healthy for the tier for different reasons. Zama is a matchup merchant that runs the table vs. HO builds on team preview. Garganacl is a toxic progress-maker with only two obscure methods of counterplay. I simply do not believe that something has to sweep you 6-0 to be overall bad for the tier.
Zama has extreme 4mss, it has to fit in bp, crunch, heavy slam, ice fang and stone edge, with all of them hitting important targets. This is excarebated even further if it wants to run utility moves, such as id, roar or even rest (seen it once). Plus, it is weaker on the special side (though it still is plenty bulky). A top mon for sure, but has exploitable weaknesses that can be taken advantage of. If your struggling, your teams will lose to a lot else or you have only physical attackers. That's the teams zama thrives against.
Garg is easy, it has a shit base typing and good bulk, but not worldbeating bulk. Gliscor counters it hard due to poison heal negating salt cure damage, while it can knock it off. Any powerful hits can decimate it, especially on the special side cause it can't have the possibility of boosting it. It needs to fit salt cure, recover, bp, id and potentially stealth rocks in its moveset. Not having one of these can be problematic for it, though it is dealable. Good mon, it counters passive teams hard, which is good.

Garganacl is a toxic progress-maker with only two obscure methods of counterplay.
I sympathize with your sentiment but I find Garg infinitely easier to play around. Encore, taunt, roar. My pocket counter to garg is simply a mouse family that can set up on it and encore stall it it on recover/def up/etc. It's pretty free alot of the time, can it run away with games at times? yeah, but I find it to be more worse than whatever slow bulky booster there is that isn't a dragon. Dragonite feels like a superiorly scarier version of Garg to me

Have answers for both of them or find counter-play to them. This can be Encore, Taunt, Trick, etc. Heavy special offensive pressure also limits them. If your consistently losing to Garg and Zama I think its time to reassess your teambuilding/structures.

I'm sorry but I still do not get it
I'll pass on tho
Click on the button or link you want and drag it into the reply window.

On an entirely different topic, regarding Gen 9, I think we just need to accept that Game Freak want an offensive game for VGC, and so we are going to have an offensive game for singles, and that half our bans are because various mons are just too good at devouring defensive styles. The options are 'tons of bans', 'ban things for the sole purpose of lowering offensive power, even if the things aren't themselves problematic,' or 'abandon trying to keep all styles viable,' and thus far the option has been going with a whole lot of bans.

For all that Dondozo is the best physical wall OU has seen since GSC Skarmory, it's massively outnumbered by the new toys for offensive teams. In the current viability rankings, there are ELEVEN Gen 9 offensive mons in A rank or above, and one new defensive mon that high (Ting-Lu); it gets more balanced it you go outside the very top (for example, A- has six new mons, three each are mostly offensive or mostly defensive) but still skews heavily toward the attacker. For ever Clodsire or Ting-Lu we have a half dozen Annihilapes or Kingambits or Iron Valiants.

Toxic distribution nerfed, recovery PP nerfed, Scald distribution nerfed, cleric moves heavily limited (and gone entirely for most of a year!), hazard removal nerfed, hazards themselves massively expanded; each small on its own, but in sum they all push toward a faster, more offensive metagame. Booster Energy isn't broken, but it's almost exclusively an offensive item, and its users are all 570 BST with mostly well optimized stats. Loaded Dice has turned multi-hit moves into reliable attacks and synergizes magnificently with Scale Shot, making that a fantastic Dragon STAB. Powerful new moves like Dragon Glaive or Raging Fury aren't well distributed, but they're yet another firepower increase - to say nothing of Population Bomb, which has singlehanded kept Maushold OU relevant and would tear the tier apart in the hands of anything with a good BST.

I'm not suggesting we give up and abandon anything less aggressive than bulky offense, but I am suggesting that any attempt to 'make the tier less offensive' is doomed unless that goal, in and of itself, is considered sufficient justification for the change.

Have answers for both of them or find counter-play to them. This can be Encore, Taunt, Trick, etc. Heavy special offensive pressure also limits them. If your consistently losing to Garg and Zama I think its time to reassess your teambuilding/structures.
Huh? Why are you assuming there are consistent losses to Garg and Zama? I said they are not competitively healthy for certain reasons. Same as Gholdengo and Gliscor. I thought I explained that this has more to do with certain startegies being toxic and matchupy than "omg this mon is unbeatable."

On an entirely different topic, regarding Gen 9, I think we just need to accept that Game Freak want an offensive game for VGC, and so we are going to have an offensive game for singles, and that half our bans are because various mons are just too good at devouring defensive styles. The options are 'tons of bans', 'ban things for the sole purpose of lowering offensive power, even if the things aren't themselves problematic,' or 'abandon trying to keep all styles viable,' and thus far the option has been going with a whole lot of bans.

For all that Dondozo is the best physical wall OU has seen since GSC Skarmory, it's massively outnumbered by the new toys for offensive teams. In the current viability rankings, there are ELEVEN Gen 9 offensive mons in A rank or above, and one new defensive mon that high (Ting-Lu); it gets more balanced it you go outside the very top (for example, A- has six new mons, three each are mostly offensive or mostly defensive) but still skews heavily toward the attacker. For ever Clodsire or Ting-Lu we have a half dozen Annihilapes or Kingambits or Iron Valiants.

Toxic distribution nerfed, recovery PP nerfed, Scald distribution nerfed, cleric moves heavily limited (and gone entirely for most of a year!), hazard removal nerfed, hazards themselves massively expanded; each small on its own, but in sum they all push toward a faster, more offensive metagame. Booster Energy isn't broken, but it's almost exclusively an offensive item, and its users are all 570 BST with mostly well optimized stats. Loaded Dice has turned multi-hit moves into reliable attacks and synergizes magnificently with Scale Shot, making that a fantastic Dragon STAB. Powerful new moves like Dragon Glaive or Raging Fury aren't well distributed, but they're yet another firepower increase - to say nothing of Population Bomb, which has singlehanded kept Maushold OU relevant and would tear the tier apart in the hands of anything with a good BST.

I'm not suggesting we give up and abandon anything less aggressive than bulky offense, but I am suggesting that any attempt to 'make the tier less offensive' is doomed unless that goal, in and of itself, is considered sufficient justification for the change.
Just because Gamefreak wants things to be as offensive as possible doesn't mean Smogon should follow suit when the VGC meta is complete dogshit due to a lack of bans. It is simply wrong to suggest that any attempt to make the tier less offensive is doomed when there are quite clearly bans that improved the meta, like with Archaludon and soon to be Gouging Fire. Smogon should be looking to balance the meta instead of keeping the meta unplayable like it is in VGC.

Garg is easy, it has a shit base typing and good bulk, but not worldbeating bulk. Gliscor counters it hard due to poison heal negating salt cure damage, while it can knock it off. Any powerful hits can decimate it, especially on the special side cause it can't have the possibility of boosting it. It needs to fit salt cure, recover, bp, id and potentially stealth rocks in its moveset. Not having one of these can be problematic for it, though it is dealable. Good mon, it counters passive teams hard, which is good.
This is a really weird and kinda poor summary of Garg. For one thing, 100/130/90 bulk is exceptional for a defensive pokemon, well above average and not commonly seen on many pokemon. Gliscor also does not counter Garg. It's a great check, but Salt Cure cuts off Poison Heal recovery and if Garg is a boosting variety and Gliscor lacks knock off, it can't even bother Garg who can just set up on it and break through. You need strong SE hits to actually "decimate" it as otherwise it can heal off damage quickly and its special bulk, especially invested, lets it be used on both sides of the defensive spectrum very effectively. It only NEEDS Salt Cure and Recover, and beyond that has freedom to run any other two moves it wants and how it can fit them effectively. And no it doesn't remotely need stealth rock.

Is it problematic? Not right now. But there's good reason it's making a big surge back in the meta.

There is also literally a question about tera restrication, which fills the quota for that sort of question. I kinda don't like how people are implying that it is more limiting than it is, you can simply say you want a tera restriction.
They also don't realise that the 'varied' options will make tera more unlikely to get banned because the no tera crowd has one option, while they have multiple. It would actually be more disengenuous for them to have multiple options because it would be set up to fail. Having only three options gives each crowd the best chance of succeeding, which is ideal.
Why can't you say "I want a suspect to help me decide?"

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2070012919
Dachsbun saved my ass against waterpon, that shit was scary (not banworthy). Though they did end up forfeiting, they would have lost anyways.
What could your team have done vs waterpon other than "turn dachsbun grass?"

Last edited:
This is a really weird and kinda poor summary of Garg. For one thing, 100/130/90 bulk is exceptional for a defensive pokemon, well above average and not commonly seen on many pokemon. Gliscor also does not counter Garg. It's a great check, but Salt Cure cuts off Poison Heal recovery and if Garg is a boosting variety and Gliscor lacks knock off, it can't even bother Garg who can just set up on it and break through. You need strong SE hits to actually "decimate" it as otherwise it can heal off damage quickly and its special bulk, especially invested, lets it be used on both sides of the defensive spectrum very effectively. It only NEEDS Salt Cure and Recover, and beyond that has freedom to run any other two moves it wants and how it can fit them effectively. And no it doesn't remotely need stealth rock.

Is it problematic? Not right now. But there's good reason it's making a big surge back in the meta.
The needing rocks was incorrect, you are right. However, rocks does mean it always has some utility in battle. 100/130/90 is great bulk, but in this meta it isn't enough to get over that typing. If it had even, say, electric typing, it would be banworthy. That means if you truly want to wall a lot of things, you have to tera. Water, grass, fighting, ground and steel types all hit it super effectively. That's not really the best, when in return you have a normal, fire, poison and flying resistances, which are not exactly the bad types to resist, but not when compared to resistances. Gliscor does counter garg as if it isn't boosting, then it gets knocked off and chipped constantly. You switch out once or twice to regain toxic heal, and boom. Gliscor counters it. Something may have to take a hit, but that most likely won't be much. Is garg great? Yes, but its inherent weaknesses make it destined to not be broken in this meta. Heck, I've used a dondozo to beat a boosting variant because unaware ignores its boosts, so even a mon it should beat can deal with it.
Why can't you say "I want a suspect to help me decide?"
Then that's what the "I want a tera restriction" is for. When something is being done about tera, it will be suspected, if it doesn't then people would riot. Unlike sleep, this is less multi-faceted between tiering policy and gameplay. There is also a section that says "anything else?". That inherently means people can complain there about it, I just think that those two options cover a broad amount of topics.

That calc was to show, that even one of the better checks still has to take big damage from an immediate attack. With only one layer of spikes up, it is a guarenteed 2 hit ko. One of the better checks to moon is destroyed by it, which is also one of the bulkier mons in the tier. Yes, moon is more reliant on set-up, but it isn't bad if it can't. Also, something I've seen in the replays that have moon in it, is that when it is threatened out, it still is able to come in and threaten good damage. One in smogtours where it was forced to switch out, it did massive damage to a corv, basically rendering it obselate for the game, knocked off garg and did good damage and did 50% to tusk. And that's just when it couldn't sweep at first. The fact of the matter is, most checks have to be careful with there health. They also always will be crippled for the rest of the game, knock off is a big thing for moon. Waterpon to run it has to give up on play rough, which means that dragons counter it harder. I'm not saying that waterpon is bad, it definetely is a great mon, but it just can't force trades/progress as well as moon.
The difference between moon and dragonite is the speed tier. Yes, dragonite has multiscale to take a hit and has priority, but that initial speed tier means that it can't threaten mons as easily. For example, a tusk can switch into a dragonite and remove multiscale while only taking 60% from it. On the other hand, moon can ko tusk outright. This is done if both are at +1. Technically at 0, dragonite is better. But that isn't always the case. Dragonite is a great mon, but it doesn't have the raw speed to do it, extreme speed isn't always enough to alleviate this, as even something frail like weavile can take a +1 extreme speed. Of course, +1 tera normal it can't, but that's to say that without stab, extreme speed is only picking off targets. Let's look at zama again, dragonite can only do max 36% to it. That's at +1 and tera normal. You can get that normally with moon. Dragonite is better at destroying weakened teams, while moon is much more powerful first off.
Where is the destroying when Zama ohkos with body press? Due to the aforementioned setup reliance they're less likely to immediately click acrobatics twice so you're getting Zama in and getting the kill, and unless spikes are allowed to remain up and Zama isn't boots (the most common held item) you have a 95% chance of no 2hko so that calc is a joke. Also every Pokémon you mentioned "but roaring moon can do big damage to them" waterpon eats for breakfast so idk what you're on about

the difference between roaring moon is the speed tier - you're right! roaring moon has no priority at all, and Dragonite has super priority that beats all other priority. These are both Pokémon that Tera all the time.

Then that's what the "I want a tera restriction" is for. When something is being done about tera, it will be suspected, if it doesn't then people would riot. Unlike sleep, this is less multi-faceted between tiering policy and gameplay. There is also a section that says "anything else?". That inherently means people can complain there about it, I just think that those two options cover a broad amount of topics.
is that actually what it's about, because over 50% of the playerbase has said yes every single time to the "I want a Tera restriction" question and no suspect has been done because "only a third of the playerbase demands a full ban right now"

Last edited:
Huh? Why are you assuming there are consistent losses to Garg and Zama? I said they are not competitively healthy for certain reasons. Same as Gholdengo and Gliscor. I thought I explained that this has more to do with certain startegies being toxic and matchupy than "omg this mon is unbeatable."
Fair enough. And I agree these mons have some unhealthy components to them but imo are not banworthy. I would deem them more as strong/annoying mons instead.

Where is the destroying when Zama ohkos with body press? Due to the aforementioned setup reliance they're less likely to immediately click acrobatics twice so you're getting Zama in and getting the kill, and unless spikes are allowed to remain up and Zama isn't boots (the most common held item) you have a 95% chance of no 2hko so that calc is a joke. Also every Pokémon you mentioned "but roaring moon can do big damage to them" waterpon eats for breakfast so idk what you're on about

the difference between roaring moon is the speed tier - you're right! roaring moon has no priority at all, and Dragonite has super priority that beats all other priority.
The calc is literally for non-set up moon. With NO set-up, it can 2hit ko zama. Also, if we are going to use HDB, there is a 59% chance for it to 2hit ko zama. If they decide to id on the second turn, then they survive but are at like 10% hp, so they will be basically dead. If you think waterpon is broken, fine, but moon can do the exact same things waterpon can. The difference between them is moon can boost its speed and is faster, while ogerpon can come in multiple times. I think the speed and boosting is more potent, but hey, you do you.
As I have said before, dragonite is a cleaner, it cannot destroy healthy-ish teams like moon can. As I showed, even weavile can take +1 e-speed. That's one of the frailest mons in the tier that isn't even ohko'd. Dragonite can do 63.5% max to tusk, while moon ko's it outright. Against faster teams that are frailer or weakened teams, dragonite is better for sweeps. But in other departments, moon is better. Dragonite doesn't even outspeed most scarfers after a dd, even scarf lando-t outspeeds, and that isn't a fast scarfer.

It does NOT "also apply to roaring moon" because waterpon has significantly more immediate power than roaring moon and its moves are immediately more threatening and more difficult to switch into. Roaring Moon and waterpon both have limited sweeping abilities while their checks are active but waterpon not being setup reliant to wallbreak, as well as being able to switch out, means that real world applications of roaring moon coming in, setting up, and sweeping are significantly more limited than wellspring, and you also have more room to react to roaring moon coming out than wellspring due to this difference in immediate power.
This is just incorrect.

Where are you getting that Wellspring has "significantly more immediate power" than Moon?

252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Corviknight: 166-196 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Corviknight: 142-168 (35.5 - 42%) -- 83.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

'It's power isn't game breaking before a DD'
Volc: 135 Spa
Moon: 139 Atk
Say wut? QD+Tera isn't healthy, then why not DD+Tera?

'It's physical bulk is mediocre'
Moon: 71 Def
Volc: 65 Def

I've not played for a bit, but you don't need experience to see these. It's simple maths!

'its typing before and after Tera Flying (I've never seen alternative Tera) has liabilities.'
Typing point is fair. But... This is why we INNOVATE!
If you believe that the tera is too weak, USE ANOTHER TERA for yourself.

Last edited:
'It's power isn't game breaking before a DD'
Volc: 135 Spa
Moon: 139 Atk
Say wut? QD+Tera isn't healthy, then why not DD+Tera?
Quiver Dance is significantly better than Dragon Dance. If Roaring Moon were augmenting its bulk with the physical equivalent Victory Dance, we aren’t even having this conversation because it would be banned already.

Volcarona has more usable physical resists than Roaring Moon along with Flame Body and natural resistance to U-turn. The physical bulk being comparable on paper is not the reality in practice due to Volcarona’s overall defensive utility and the other reasons outlined above.

This is just incorrect.

Where are you getting that Wellspring has "significantly more immediate power" than Moon?

252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Corviknight: 166-196 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Corviknight: 142-168 (35.5 - 42%) -- 83.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
How are you going to use 97.5 BP knock off 3 times? The answer also lies, in addition to cudgel and whip inherently being stronger than knock, with the STAB perfect offensive coverage Ogerpon has, acrobatics does not receive STAB without Tera, which is not the case with ogerpon's threatening STAB moves, especially given that cudgel has a high crit rate and, unlike roaring moon's main attacks (item-dependent-on-power knock off and non stab acrobatics) does not make contact. Another way of saying this is that roaring moon, through inferior offensive types and moves, is far easier to switch into than wellspring. This "immediate power" of roaring moon also, in addition to relying on the power boosted knock off, relies on booster energy being intact, a limitation wellspring does not need to worry about.

252 Atk Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Corviknight: 111-132 (27.7 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO, assuming booster energy is even intact

The corviknight example is also extremely hilarious because this is a 1v1 roaring moon loses unless it is already set up since body press is a guaranteed 2hko, when wellspring clicks cudgel 3 times and wins, or SDs on the roost and wins harder. How can you point at a lost matchup and a won matchup vs the very same Pokémon and say "these are the same?"

Witnessed a upper ladder match of someone using woger with knock off/sub/seed/ivy and that stall team was helpless against it. I've got some free ELO off it since. One fat team had hydrapple and slowed it down. But it's an effective mon and I suspect the reason council is talking about it is due to this set- but also then you go expect that and it may swords dance play rough you.. its versatile for sure but offensive teams can handle it easily enough.

But I expect in the communities effort to balance this meta it will find itself banned too.

Despite my general anti ban stance (I doubt we ever balance this tier) I typically run balance. Dozo is on every team I've made in the past year. But to play with the maybe to be banned mons I've made an offensive team.

Taunt roaring moon is really good too and can turn some things into set up. It's usually good for a kill but rarely 2 or more. Could be a skill issue but it can't run enough moves and often relies on tera. My set chose to beat dondozo but though I may beat skarm- after it's rocky helmet damage and a body press or brave bird it's got me low enough for many priority moves. Strong, versatile, but can be handled offensively...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 20)