Zapdos (Singles) [QC 1/2]

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.

[OVERVIEW]

Unlike other Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Thundurus, Zapdos has the ability to run defensive sets to take on dangerous attackers, such as Mega Salamence, Mega Gyarados, Mega Lucario, and others. In addition, Zapdos has unique niche that comes from access to the move Heat Wave, which immensely threatens Steel-types, particularly Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, making it a good fit on many archetype of teams, and Roost that helps Zapdos stay healthy over the match.

However, Zapdos' defensive capability is sometimes hindered by omnipresent Stealth Rock; in addition, Zapdos' defensive stats are not stellar and is unfortunately reliant on its typing to function as a wall.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Volt Switch / Discharge
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Toxic
move 4: Roost
item: Rocky Helmet / Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
ability: Static / Pressure
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Volt Switch functions as a STAB move that hits Water-types and Flying-types supereffectively, and a move that helps Zapdos' team to gain momentum and bring in its team in safety. However, being forced to switch is not always a positive trait of this move, especially if Zapdos has to stay in against the likes of Mega Gyarados and take it down.
* Discharge has considerable chance of paralyzing foes and leave them significantly more vulnerable from being revenge killed. Because of the chance that Paralysis status and Poison status from Toxic may happen on a same target, it is better used with Hidden Power Ice.
* Heat Wave is the reason to run Zapdos over other walls; it keeps Ferrothorn from staying in and setting hazards or chipping away health using Leech Seed, puts an end to Kartana, Excadrill, and Mega Scizor's sweep, and hits Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, and others supereffectively.
* Toxic is a good utility move that puts a timer on defensive behemoth such as Porygon2 and Cresselia With the combination with Roost, Zapdos is able to stall them out.
* Hidden Power Ice does immediate huge chunk of damage to Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence, and keeps them from setting up further and forcing them to launch last-ditch effort attack or to simply switch out.
* Roost is vitally important move for Zapdos to fulfill its role as a defensive wall and stay healthy.

Set Details
========

* EVs are used to maximize HP and Defense, and Bold nature is chosen to maximize Zapdos' defensive bulk, letting it handle physical threats such as Mega Salamence with Dragon Dance boost.
* Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers every time they use a contact move, and this is incredibly useful against Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, and Mega Gyarados.
* Sitrus Berry and Leftovers help Zapdos avoid important 2HKOs from various physical attackers, as well as alleviating damage taken from Stealth Rock if it is up.
* Static, especially when combined with Discharge, has very high chance of 51% to paralyze foes on the turn they make a contact with Zapdos and take Discharge. This sometimes let Zapdos shut down boosted sweepers, or at least leave them vulnerable to the next ally.
* Pressure helps Zapdos stall out foes that rely on low PP moves such as Stone Edge and Fire Blast along with Roost.

Usage Tips
========

* Since this set makes Zapdos a formidable physical wall, switching it into various threats, such as Mega Salamence, Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, Mega Scizor, and others is ideal way to use it.
* Especially if opponent has a physical attacker that commonly carries Focus Sash, such as Kartana, Breloom, Pheromosa, Garchomp, Mimikyu, or has Multiscale Dragonite, Rocky Helmet can potentially wear them off.
* Switching Zapdos into aforementioned physical attackers may also induce paralysis thanks to Static.
* Against non-STAB Stone Edge users, such as unboosted Landorus-T and Tapu Bulu, Zapdos can stall out the move's pp using Pressure and Roost, thanks to its good natural bulk improved by heavy investment.
* Take advantage of high 100 Speed that lets Zapdos recover against slower opponents with Ice, Electric, and Rock-type moves, since Roost will lesson their damage on the same turn.

Team Options
========

* Chansey, Porygon2, Cresselia, and Umbreon are good partners that can handle strong special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Kingdra, Xurkitree, and others.
* Suicune, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Azumarill can switch in to take Ice-type moves and strong Fire-type moves for Zapdos, while Zapdos can take Grass-type moves for them.
* Steel-types, such as Aegislash, Heatran, and others can switch in to Toxic which cripples Zapdos, while they can benefit from Zapdos that can switch into Ground-type attacks.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Venusaur**: While being resistant to Electric-type moves and Toxic, Mega Venusaur's ability in Thick Fat lets it handle Heat Wave and Hidden Power Ice with ease. It can also wear down Zapdos with Leech Seed and potential poison damage from Sludge Bomb.

**Strong Ice-type attacks**: Mamoswine, Cloyster and Protean Greninja are able to supereffectively hit Zapdos using their STAB Ice-type moves and dangerously weaken it.

**Rock-types opponents and coverages**: Tyranitar and Nihilego immensely threatens Zapdos with STAB Rock-type moves, while Mega Heracross can get last Zapdos using Rock Blast and Landorus-T can 2HKO it using Stone Edge.

**Strong neutral hits**: Zapdos is often reliant on its typing to take on various threats. Because of its mediocre defensive stats strong neutral hits can overwhelm Zapdos. For example, Mega Charizard X can OHKO Zapdos with Flare Blitz or Outrage after Stealth Rock damage and a Dragon Dance, Mega Charizard Y can easily 2HKO Zapdos with Drought-boosted STAB Fire-type move of its choice, Tapu Lele 2HKOs it using Psychic, and Tapu Koko 2HKOs it using Thunderbolt without any item.

**Status**: Due to the fact that Zapdos has to keep itself healthy throughout the match to function as a wall, and it dislikes any residual damage. Especially Toxic poison will put a timer on Zapdos and will slowly wear it down.

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Ready for QC,

* Should I add Choice Scarf set which is niche-worthy revenge killer?
* How many checks (normally 3 I believe) do I need to get this to GP?

[OVERVIEW]

Unlike other Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Thundurus, Zapdos has the ability to run defensive sets to take on dangerous attackers, such as Mega Salamence, Mega Gyarados, Mega Metagross, Kartana, and others. In addition, Zapdos has unique niche that comes from access to the move Heat Wave, which immensely threatens Steel-types, particularly Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, making it a good fit on many archetype of teams, and Roost that helps Zapdos stay healthy over the match.
Remove Metagross from the list, Ice Punch 2hkos phys def Zap, and even if they're not predicting a switch in SR + Meteor Mash into Ice Punch also has a very high chance to KO. I'd swap Kartana for Mega Lucario too.

However, Zapdos' defensive capability is sometimes hindered by omnipresent Stealth Rock; Mega Gyarados can feature guaranteed 2HKO on Zapdos after Stealth Rock damage and a Dragon Dance, while Adamant Mimikyu can OHKO Zapdos with Never-Ending Nightmare after Stealth Rock damage after a Swords Dance.
I think it's enough to just say SR are a problem for it without mentioning specific scenarios. You may want to add that its defensive stats aren't stella and that it's the typing that makes up for that with SR weakness being an unfortunate aspect of that typing.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Volt Switch / Discharge
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: Toxic / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Roost
item: Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
ability: Static / Pressure
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

HP Ice before Toxic, much more reflective of usage. 3 attacks def Zap is pretty common.
Add Sitrus Berry between Rocky Helmet and Leftovers.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Volt Switch functions as a STAB move that hits Water-types and Flying-types supereffectively, and a move that helps Zapdos' team to gain momentum and bring in its team in safety. However, being forced to switch is not always a positive trait of this move, especially if Zapdos has to stay in against the likes of Mega Gyarados and take it down.
* Discharge has considerable chance of paralyzing foes and leave them significantly more vulnerable from being revenge killed. Because of the chance that Paralysis status and Poison status from Toxic may happen on a same target, it is better used with Hidden Power Ice.
* Heat Wave is the reason to run Zapdos over other walls; it keeps Ferrothorn from staying in and setting hazards or chipping away health using Leech Seed, puts an end to Kartana, Excadrill, and Mega Scizor's sweep, and hits Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, and others supereffectively.
* Toxic is a good utility move that puts a timer on defensive behemoth such as Porygon2, Cresselia, and all variants of defensive Rotom's. With the combination with Roost, Zapdos is able to stall them out.
I'd remove the Rotom mention from this. I think it's fine with just "such as Porygon2 or Cresselia". Also change the last bit to be more general. Rather than referring to 'them', just say that Zapdos can stall for Toxic damage with Roost.
* Hidden Power Ice does immediate huge chunk of damage to Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence, and keeps them from setting up further and forcing them to launch last-ditch effort attack or to simply switch out.
* Roost is vitally important move for Zapdos to fulfill its role as a defensive wall and stay healthy.

Set Details
========

* EVs are used to maximize HP and Defense, and Bold nature is chosen to maximize Zapdos' defensive bulk, letting it almost always survive two Stone Edge from Garchomp and maximize the chance that it survives hits from boosted Mega Gyarados.
I think it's just fine without mention of specific scenarios, especially Garchomp Stone Edge which is uncommon. If any scenarios are to be mentioned then I think taking (+1) M-Salamence Double-Edge as best it can is the most relevant, as that's why it's chosen on many of the teams that use it.
* Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers every time they make a contact, and this is incredibly useful against Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, and others. Remove Lop, we just don't know how relevant that's gonna be, and probably Metagross too. Mega Salamence and Mega Gyarados are more important pokemon and worth mentioning over them.
* Sitrus Berry and Leftovers help Zapdos avoid important 2HKOs from various physical attackers, as well as alleviating damage taken from Stealth Rock if it is up.
* Static, especially when combined with Discharge, has 39% chance to paralyze foes on the turn they make a contact with Zapdos and take Discharge. This sometimes let Zapdos shut down boosted sweepers, or at least leave them vunerable to the next ally. It's actually 51%, since it's two 30% Para chances involved. That being said, I think just mentioning that Static punishing attacks without Discharge being mentioned in the same sentance is better. You can mention that having both of them helps spread paralysis though.
* Pressure, although mostly outclassed by Static, helps Zapdos stall out foes that rely on move such as Stone Edge and Fire Blast to deal with it.
I wouldn't say it was mostly outclassed, especially on defensive sets. I actually prefer it in many cases. So just mention that it allows Zapdos to effectively deplete some low pp moves, especially while using Roost.

Usage Tips
========

* Since this set makes Zapdos a formidable physical wall, switching it into various threats, such as Mega Salamence, Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, Mega Scizor, and others is ideal way to use it.
* Especially if opponent has a physical attacker that commonly carries Focus Sash, such as Kartana and non-Mega Sharpedo, or has Multiscale Dragonite, Rocky Helmet can potentially wear them off.
Sash Sharpedo is more often a special attacker from my experience. Focus Sash users with contact attacks really aren't too common, just Garchomp (Outrage), Breloom (Mach Punch), Mimikyu, Pheromosa (HJK and U-turn). Of which I think Mimikyu is the best one to mention in Sharpedo's place.
* Switching Zapdos into aforementioned physical attackers may also induce paralysis thanks to Static.
* Against non-STAB Stone Edge users, such as unboosted Landorus-T and Tapu Bulu, Zapdos can stall out the move's pp using Pressure and Roost, thanks to its good natural bulk improved by heavy investment.
* Take advantage of high 100 Speed that lets Zapdos recover in front of other walls, such as all forms of Rotom, Cresselia, Umbreon, and others.
This sounds weird, staying in on them is likely to get you toxiced, and due to the offensively weak nature of them, being able to Roost quickly isn't often that important. Instead why not mention Roosting on slower Ice Beam and Elec-/Rock-type move users where the loss of flying type can help you take the hits better.

Team Options
========

* Chansey, Porygon2, Cresselia, and Umbreon are good partners that can handle strong special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Kingdra, Xurkitree, and others.
* Suicune, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Azumarill can switch in to take Ice-type moves and strong Fire-type moves for Zapdos, while Zapdos can take Grass-type moves for them.
* Steel-types, such as Aegislash, Heatran, and others can switch in to Toxic which cripples Zapdos, while they can benefit from Zapdos that can switch into Ground-type attacks.
I need to think about this section more, so I'll be back for this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ice-types**: Although most of them hate switching into Heat Wave, the likes of Mamoswine, Weavile, Cloyster, and Alolan Ninetales can hit Zapdos supereffectively with their STAB moves, and are able to set up on it while forcing out.
Only Mamo and Cloyster are common enough to warrant a mention as Ice-types. Protean Greninja is pretty much the second most relevant ice mon in the format, but it feels weird to call it an ice mon in this style of analysis. So perhaps change it to "Strong Ice-Type attacks" or "Ice-Type Coverage" and just mention those 3.
**Rock-types opponents and coverages**: Mega Tyranitar and Nihilego immensely threatens Zapdos with STAB Rock-type moves, while Mega Heracross can get past Zapdos using Rock Blast and Landorus-T can 2HKO it using Stone Edge.
Make it regular Tyranitar.

**Both Mega's from Charizard**: Because of the sheer amount of unpredictability it potentially has, Zapdos can be troubled greately with any mispredictions. Mega Charizard X, although it hates paralysis, does not mind too much about anything else Zapdos does and can set up Swords Dance or Dragon Dance and proceed to sweep. Mega Charizard Y, although it is weak to Volt Switch and Discharge, is able to dent Zapdos on switch in using Fire-type moves with Drought that aims lower Special Defense from Zapdos.

**Strong neutral hits**: Zapdos is often reliant on its typing to take on various threats. Because of its mediocre defensive stats strong neutral hits can overwhelm Zapdos. For example, Mega Charizard X can OHKO Zapdos with Flare Blitz or Outrage after Stealth Rock damage and a Dragon Dance, Tapu Lele 2HKOs it using Psychic, and Tapu Koko 2HKOs it using Thunderbolt without any items.
You're mentioning CharX twice over these two sections. Honestly I'm not too fond of the Charizard dedicated section. I think incorporating CharY into this 'Strong Neutral' section and removing the Charizard specific is the way to go.

In addition, I think Toxic deserves its own mention as it's something that can really plague defensive Zapdos.
Mega Venusaur may also deserve its own, as with it's immuntiy to Toxic and typing, ability and natural bulk it can take hits from Zapdos very well. While wearing it down with Leech Seed and Sludge Bomb, especially once the 30% poison triggers.
Comments in bold, I'd also say yes to Scarf set but will find out what other qcers think about it.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Jhon Sorry for the wait, I finished implementing everything you said. I would like some comments on team options which you didn't give feedback earlier.

Also I think Scarf set isn't much viable because Zapdos' offensive movepool is very one-dimentinoal and therefore is very predictable (although Heat Wave is nice), and Timid scarf misses out on some important KO's while Modest Zapdos can't speed tie with other 100's at +1. Please let me know what you think about this as well. Thanks.

Apologies, for not getting back sooner.
To start here are Zapdos' top teammates from S5
#1 Blaziken
#2 Ferrothorn
#3 Mimikyu
#4 Landorus-T
#5 Excadrill
#6 Tapu Fini
#7 Tapu Lele
#8 Greninja
#9 Mamoswine
#10 Garchomp
#11 Scizor
#12 Salamence
#13 Aegislash
#14 Metagross
#15 Gengar
#16 Charizard
#17 Tyranitar
#18 Lopunny
#19 Gyarados
#20 Hippowdon
Blaziken + Ferro + Zap is core which has seen decent usage since oras.
Looking at everything else you'll notice that it's quite a lot of offensive mons, rather than defensive ones such as Chansey or Cress. This is laregely because, for very defensive setups, SR weakness can be a major hinderance. Especially with Zapdos' less than phenomenal raw bulk.
So I think focusing on the more offensive options is key. I also think approachiong it from the other angle would be useful. By this I mean saying what Zapdos can do a good job supporting rather than what would do well supporting Zapdos. It's the kind of mon that's introduced later on in teambuilding to cover things in its own unique way. Very rarely something someone starts with.
To this end, I think pokemon that struggle with M-Salamence, and possibly need Bulky Water's pressured and perhaps Ferrothorn covered are the types of pokemon it can support well. Blaziken of course stands out as a pokemon which struggles with Mence and doesn't like bulky water. Perhaps mentioning the aforementioned core as ity's own bullet point would be suitable.
I think picking a few mons form the list, which struggle with Mence/bulky water, such as M-Lopunny, Excadrill or Charizard-X and making a bullet point of it would fit well.
And leave the steel-type mention. They're valuable on nearly every team and toxic really does kill Zapdos.
In regards to scarf, I don't think it being one-dimentional is a realistic issue for it and I do think it's viable. However, it's uncommon and I'm okay with its exclusion.​

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Apologies, for not getting back sooner.

To start here are Zapdos' top teammates from S5
#1 Blaziken
#2 Ferrothorn
#3 Mimikyu
#4 Landorus-T
#5 Excadrill
#6 Tapu Fini
#7 Tapu Lele
#8 Greninja
#9 Mamoswine
#10 Garchomp
#11 Scizor
#12 Salamence
#13 Aegislash
#14 Metagross
#15 Gengar
#16 Charizard
#17 Tyranitar
#18 Lopunny
#19 Gyarados
#20 Hippowdon

Blaziken + Ferro + Zap is core which has seen decent usage since oras.
Looking at everything else you'll notice that it's quite a lot of offensive mons, rather than defensive ones such as Chansey or Cress. This is laregely because, for very defensive setups, SR weakness can be a major hinderance. Especially with Zapdos' less than phenomenal raw bulk.
So I think focusing on the more offensive options is key. I also think approachiong it from the other angle would be useful. By this I mean saying what Zapdos can do a good job supporting rather than what would do well supporting Zapdos. It's the kind of mon that's introduced later on in teambuilding to cover things in its own unique way. Very rarely something someone starts with.
To this end, I think pokemon that struggle with M-Salamence, and possibly need Bulky Water's pressured and perhaps Ferrothorn covered are the types of pokemon it can support well. Blaziken of course stands out as a pokemon which struggles with Mence and doesn't like bulky water. Perhaps mentioning the aforementioned core as ity's own bullet point would be suitable.
I think picking a few mons form the list, which struggle with Mence/bulky water, such as M-Lopunny, Excadrill or Charizard-X and making a bullet point of it would fit well.
And leave the steel-type mention. They're valuable on nearly every team and toxic really does kill Zapdos.
In regards to scarf, I don't think it being one-dimentional is a realistic issue for it and I do think it's viable. However, it's uncommon and I'm okay with its exclusion.​
K I was busy, so I will implement these soon™. Is this QC 1/2 now or 1/2 once this has been implemented?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)