Yungoos, Gumshoos Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Yungoos
Normal
Abilities: Stakeout / Strong Jaw / Adaptability
HP: 48
Atk: 70
Def: 30
SpAtk: 30
SpDef: 30
Spe: 45

Level Up

L1 - Tackle
L3 - Leer
L7 - Pursuit
L10 - Sand Attack
L13 - Odor Sleuth
L16 - Bide
L19 - Bite
L22 - Mud-Slap
L25 - Super Fang
L28 - Take Down
L31 - Scary Face
L34 - Crunch
L37 - Hyper Fang
L40 - Yawn
L43 - Thrash
L46 - Rest

TMs

TM01 - Work Up
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM66 - Payback
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves:

Egg - Revenge
Egg - Last Resort

Gumshoos
Normal
Abilities: Stakeout / Strong Jaw / Adaptability
HP: 88
Atk: 110
Def: 60
SpAtk: 55
SpDef: 60
Spe: 45

Level Up

L1 - Tackle
L1 - Leer
L1 - Pursuit
L1 - Sand Attack
L3 - Leer
L7 - Pursuit
L10 - Sand Attack
L13 - Odor Sleuth
L16 - Bide
L19 - Bite
L23 - Mud-Slap
L27 - Super Fang
L31 - Take Down
L35 - Scary Face
L39 - Crunch
L43 - Hyper Fang
L47 - Yawn
L51 - Thrash
L55 - Rest

TMs

TM01 - Work Up
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM56 - Fling
TM66 - Payback
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM100 - Confide
Egg moves

Egg - Revenge
Egg - Last Resort

New Ability:

Stakeout: Doubles the damage to target's replacement if the target switches out.

Last edited:
Can confirm Yungoos has no foreseeable niche in LC as with the nerfs to Eviolite, it looks like we are gonna have a speedy HO meta and yunoos cant survive that.

It still gets STAB Strong Jaw Hyper Fang. THats basically a Z-m.ove's power by itself.
wouldn't adaptability be better, if not basically the same in that scenario? and then you get to run return instead of hyper fang, so you output more damage off a normal STAB?

also, some calcs using the BST:
(note that this is before stakeout, so in the case of catching a switch-in, double the damage)
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 212-251 (52.4 - 62.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 175-207 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 175-207 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 235-278 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 351-413 (109.3 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Frustration vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 222-263 (81.9 - 97%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

so it 2HKO's a lot of pokemon assuming they don't switch in, and can straight OHKO a lot of its hard counters should they switch in. though, given that there's not exactly a drought of offensive normal types with great neutral damage, i don't know if that necessarily means it isn't being outclassed by pokemon like diggersby and m-lopunny

wouldn't adaptability be better, if not basically the same in that scenario? and then you get to run return instead of hyper fang, so you output more damage off a normal STAB?

also, some calcs using the BST:
(note that this is before stakeout, so in the case of catching a switch-in, double the damage)
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 212-251 (52.4 - 62.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 175-207 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 175-207 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 235-278 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 351-413 (109.3 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Gumshoos Frustration vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 222-263 (81.9 - 97%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

so it 2HKO's a lot of pokemon assuming they don't switch in, and can straight OHKO a lot of its hard counters should they switch in. though, given that there's not exactly a drought of offensive normal types with great neutral damage, i don't know if that necessarily means it isn't being outclassed by pokemon like diggersby and m-lopunny
It does boast having the most powerful physical attacks in the game with just the Stakeout boost. Not even Mega Mawile can compare.

And since it forces the target to stay in the field, it's a very powerful trapper unless your opponent has godlike prediction.

Reactions: 2MN
This thing would wreck in Trick Room. It has good attack and 2 great abilities and has good coverage. Not going to be in the higher tier much but could still function somewhat as a trapper and can be very powerful.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
... *sigh* Let's get this over quickly.

Good Abilities. Strong Jaw has use with Hyper Fang and Crunch. Stakeout and Adaptability no need explanation.

Aside from Attack its stats are lackluster.

Gets Earthquake and Payback, Egg Moves aren't anything interesting (doesn't learn Trump Card, couldn't care less).

Overall it'll probably not be bad in-game, but I just can't look at it right now.

Something to be checked is whether Stakeout will work if the opponent switches in because their previous Pokemon was KOed.

I think it has some future with hit-and-run sets as it's an otherwise unimpressive physical attacker if not taking advantage of the Stakeout boost. On higher tiers, at least. Switch into something that cannot do a thing to you, and you instantly set them into a lose-lose situation.

Was hoping this guy would be better but oh well. Seems like he's very hard to switch in to but being pure normal type and having those stats I don't think he's gonna be able to scare many mons out and it's gonna be hard for him to find opportunities to switch in.

I mean I guess he's the generic normal type rodent, so I don't expect much from him, but do you think Yawn is viable at all? Then your opponent has to choose between staying in and falling asleep, or switching out and taking double damage? Assuming they predict you are using Steakout.

Could this be a good set for Gumshoos?

Gumshoos @ Life Orb / Muscle Band / Expert Belt
Ability: Stakeout
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Payback
- Yawn
- Earthquake / U-Turn

Yawn is pretty much a must, since it forces the opponent to choose between eating a Stakeout-boosted attack and incapacitating one of their Pokemon. Return is Gumshoos's strongest attack when ignoring type effectiveness. Payback is chosen over Crunch because its base power double to 100 if the opponent switches, which is then further boosted by Stakeout, and even if the opponent doesn't switch, it's not like Gumshoos is going to be outrunning much, so it'll probably double in power anyway. The last slot is flexible. Earthquake is obviously a powerful attack with very good super effective coverage, while U-Turn lets you gain momentum. Other attacking options are Revenge and Rock Tomb, since they provide more coverage and have additional utility (Revenge hits harder than Payback against opponents who don't switch, while Rock Tomb lowers the speed of the Pokemon coming in). However, both moves have mediocre base power.

I think that's pretty much on the money! Personally though I'd still keep Crunch over Payback for 3 reasons:

1) There's a lot that is so slow, like Vikavolt, and there's no guarantee of switching, so the consistent 80 BP of Crunch is nice
2) Crunch has the added affect of possibly lowering Def, which could also inspire a switch, thus more Stakeout
3) Look at dem fangs! I just gotta keep some kinda bite move... (Let's face it, this is my real reason, I'm thematically needy)

For LC, is there a possibility of running:

Yungoos @ Berry Juice
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 176 Def
Jolly Nature
- Yawn
- Pursuit
- Thief
- Return

This would work on the same principal as Snubbull: Berry Juice for some recovery, and Thief to get an Eviolite afterward. Plus, the Yawn + Stakeout combo is pretty darn good. A foreseeable teammate would be Fletchling, because of Acrobatics + Overheat to clean out Fighting and Steel mons.

I'd run it.

Last edited:
If nobody will mention it, I will

Gumshoos @ Red Card
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant / Brave Nature
- Yawn
- Return
- Payback
- Earthquake / U-Turn

Start it off with a bang. Red Card to force the opponent to switch and eat a Stakeout Return in the face! I'm not sure what attacks it can survive but Max HP is our best bet here. Not sure if theres anything noteworthy with base 45 speed but Brave is an option if it does so you can assure you attack last. Yawn to force a switch on something else perhaps. Not sure how effective this will be but it's an option.

Any set running Yawn can run Protect so you can guarantee a sleep on the opponent if you predict them to stay in, putting them into a 50/50. Gumshoos seems like one of those Pokemon that becomes incredibly rewarding if you have godly prediction. And if it got Quick Attack it would be a lot better.

This thing can really only come in on mons at -2 or use AV to absorb an attack. 88/60/60 isn't that great. Though you can also force a choiced ghost move out, which is cool.

I think this thing can be great, just a matter of mind games with yawn and good moments to bring it in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)