SM UU You Can Call Me Al - Quagsire Semi Stall

justdrew

beauty in the struggle
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Introduction

Hello friends! This is my second RMT, my first being Quadruple Priority Hyper Offense which was a fun team until Mamoswine was raised to OU. It was an easy to use team but wasn't the most consistent team on ladder since hyper offense takes a lot of skill to use effectively. I was told by Ark that most good RMT's either reflect the meta or are just really well built so I thought I would have a try at both. This team doesn't necessarily reflect the meta but it does a great job of countering it. This is my most successful team on ladder and I really enjoy using it. All the people that I took inspiration from or helped me with this team in anyway can be found in shoutouts at the end. Enjoy!

Building Process

I began this team with Quagsire. Now I know the first thing everyone is going to think, "Hey man why are you using Quagsire on a team that's not stall?" Well let me explain. Quagsire is a reliable check to the "usual suspects" (e.g. Scizor, Mega Manectric except for Hidden Power Grass, Mega Aerodactyl, physical Infernape, Lucario, Swords Dance Gliscor, Mega Aggron, Mega Altaria, Cobalion, Alolan Marowak, Magneton, and more). With the right Pokemon paired with it, Quagsire can be utilized as a wall on any archetype.

The next thing I had to do was add a defensive Pokemon that checked threats to Quagsire such as Serperior, Breloom, and Pokemon that can wear Quagsire down with Toxic like Swampert, Seismitoad, and Sylveon. Amoongus is one of the most reliable defensive walls in this meta in my opinion and fits the same role as Quagsire, a Pokemon that checks many threats in the meta. The synergy between it and Quagsire makes for a great core.

The next step was adding something to check the special attacking Dragon-types, Latias, Hydreigon, and Kyurem, as well as most other special attackers. I also needed a wish passer and cleric which made Sylveon the perfect candidate. I initially had Blissey but I changed to it after Kink reccomended I use Sylveon because Blissey doesn't have an immunity to Dragon-type attacks and gives no momentum.

Since I had already established the main core I wanted to add something to check and phase out Mega Slowbro as well as a win con. Suicune was perfect for this role because of its Roar variant and can phase out Mega Slowbro and other set up sweepers as well as serving as a wincon. It is really good in this meta game and functions as a stall breaker.

At this point I needed a Stealth Rock setter that contributed bulk and synergy to the team. I was looking for a Steel-type and chose Mega Aggron because it is very reliable right now in UU. Paired with with Wish pass it is very strong. It walls Flying-types like Crobat and Togekiss which were a problem for this team.

I needed a defogger as well as a fast and offensive, but also bulky Pokemon that can threaten opposing walls. Latias, who I initially had as a scarf defogger until Kink changed my mind with Soul Dew, works nicely. Soul Dew which is an item that has seen next to no usage lately, allows for Latias to 2HKO Azumarill and gives it more powerful attacks. With Roost it has longevity and can consistently get rocks off the field while also serving as a Ground-type immunity.

A Closer Look

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

Quagsire is the Pokemon I built around and like I said earlier it checks a lot of the major threats in UU and I wanted to use it on a non stall team. It like Suicune serves as a wincon with Curse.

Amoonguss @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play
- Sludge Bomb

Amoongus is an Azumarill check and is always a switch in to Knock Off because it has Poisonium Z. The Z move is meant as a Nuke towards Sylveon, Serperior, Mega Sceptile, opposing Amoongus', basically any Pokemon weak to Poison that Clear Smog. It Spores offensive threats and serves as a switch in to Breloom, Serperior, and other threats not checked by Quagsire. The special defense investment is to live a Psychic from Latias after rocks, 8 speed to outspeed opposing Amoongus', and a majority of defense investment for Azumarill and Scizor.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Sylveon is a Wish passer and cleric that is pretty much essential to every bulky offense or semi stall team. As I mentioned it is a switch in to all the tiers Dragon-types and a majority of the special threats. It pretty much holds the team together by keeping Mega Aggron healthy and passing to anything in need of emergency health. The extra special defense on Sylveon is for it to take Fire Blasts and Flash Cannons from Hydreigon better.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Roar

Suicune, like Quagsire acts as a win con and can also be utilized defensively. It has Roar mainly for Mega Slowbro, but also for all other set up sweepers in the tier. Suicune is very good in this meta, as bulky Water-types have always been, and can single handedly beat stall especially with Roar in case stall has a wincon, like Dragon Dance Mega Altaria in ABR & Bugzinator stall.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Mega Aggron, other than setting rocks and being annoyingly bulky, resists Grass which helps out Quagsire and Suicune. It serves as a secondary Latias and Scizor check as well as tying the team together as a bulky Steel-type. In this meta game Mega Aggron is really strong and has a good match up versus threats like Scizor, Azumarill, Latias, and most importantly Crobat and Togekiss which as a whole this team is weak to.

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Lastly Latias acts as a defogger and an offensive Pokemon that can both sustain itself with Roost and use strong Soul Dew boosted attacks against Pokemon like Azumarill who are 2HKO'd by Psychock. It can lure in specially defensive threats don't expect Psyshock and can consistently remove hazards from the field with its extra HP investment and Roost, thanks to Kink for that set.

Threats

- With the ability to beat Quagsire, Heracross is a threat to this team as it is a threat to any bulky team. Although it is strong, it can be worn down with Stealth Rock and burn damage, and is threatened by Latias
- Nidoking is a huge threat to any team and especially this one. Amoongus can live any attack at full health and put it to sleep. Both Latias and Suicune can live an attack and threaten it out, but with its move pool and strength it has a good match up against this team.
- Nasty Plot Infernape paired with a Pursuit trapper or any Nasty Plot sweeper, Lucario, etc, has a great matchup since Infernape can knock out Quagsire with Grass Knot and can only be revenge killed by Latias.
- Haxorus is a threat to all bulky teams and pretty much does the same thing as Heracross because it can beat Quagsire. This team has no counter play other than than Sylveon living Poison Jab. +2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Sylveon: 360-424 (91.3 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

Amoonguss @ Poisonium Z
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play
- Sludge Bomb

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Roar

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Shoutouts

Honestly there are too many great people on this site to count. In my first RMT I didn't shoutout many people so I am going to expand. Sei, Viv and Sage are my closest friends. Viv and Sei pretty much taught me how to build, they were there for me when I was a pretty toxic user and are two of the coolest people on this site without question. I haven't known Sage all of my time playing this game but from the time I have he is a great person and one of kindest human beings I have ever interacted with, and its been a pleasure knowing them. My UU staff buddies, Ark, Watfor, TSR, Accelgor, Cake, Ed, and Sparrow. These guys have helped me so much in learning this tier and are great users. All of them are friendly, smart, and amazing at this game and I am glad I've gotten to know them better. Each one of these people I consider a close friend and they have really made me feel welcome. Honestly the best staff out of any tier! The boys, Papa Bi, St. Ihi, Jake, Cookeees, Yeezy, Euphonos, Hilomilo, and Highways. These are some of the greatest and most accomplished players on this site. They are some more of my closest friends, they are the most unbeliavably kind people and their personalities are contagius. I have known for quite a bit and are some of my favorite people. All friendly and I enjoy building, battling, and joking around with you guys. And most importantly the people who have guided me through the game as I've become a more experienced player. Kink and CBU have really taught me alot about the game and have been super supportive, so much thanks to them. To all these people and the ones I didn't mention, thanks for making it fun to play this game! :)

Conclusion

This may seem like hard core stall without the Alomomola Blissey core but it is intended to be semi stall because of the evident offensiveness of this team. I really enjoy using this team, it has gotten me to ladder record at around 1650 and I don't play much ladder and I'm not the best player either. There may still be things wrong with this team but from the opinions I have gotten it's pretty solid. Feel free to give me your opinions down below. Thanks for reading this RMT, bye now!​

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, cool team!

However, I do not like how your only hazard remover is Latias, which loses to Steel-type hazard setters. Furthermore, the entire team but Latias is grounded, which may make hazards a huge problem in the long run. Gliscor > Latias will provide you with an easier matchup against Steel-type hazard setters and provide you with a fair Heracross and Breloom counterplay.

At this point, hazards still seemed annoying. Wallbreakers can take advantage of that fact and completely tear apart the team with some patience and good support. I was thinking about making Sylveon a Togekiss but then it'd lose you Wish support, which is almost mandatory Stall teams that utilize Mega Aggron. All in all, I was led to the compromise of having Slowbro > Suicune. Thanks to Regenerator, Slowbro can come in on hazards without being worn down as much as Suicune does. Furthermore, access Slack Off and the additional Psychic-type allows it to check Stallbreakers such as Lucario and non-Grass Knot Nasty Plot Infernape (unfortunately, some people still run Vacuum Wave + Nasty Plot Infernape).

Lastly, Toxic > Curse on Quagsire gives you better Mega Slowbro counterplay, while also giving Nasty Plot Azelf slightly fewer setup opportunities if it tries to set up on Quagsire.

Good luck with the team! I hope I helped and feel free to contact me if any question pops up.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Poisonium Z
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play
- Sludge Bomb

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 48 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)