RU Yanmega

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Tinted Lens making Yanmega's STAB moves a lot more spammable, it can act as an fantastic Choice Specs wallbreaker against bulkier and slower teams. Yanmega also has access to Speed Boost, which makes it a solid sweeper against frailer offensive teams, which generally don't carry the means to properly deal with it defensively nor offensively. Yanmega's typing is pretty bad defensively, however, as it leaves Yanmega weak to common offensive Fire-, Ice-, Electric-, Rock-, and Flying-types like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, Rotom-H, Rhyperior, and Moltres. Its typing also gives it a hefty weakness to Stealth Rock, which cuts away 50% of its health upon switching in.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Giga Drain
item: Choice Specs
ability: Tinted Lens
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and does a ton of damage to Pokemon that aren't specially defensive walls. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move; while less powerful than Bug Buzz, it offers better coverage, 2HKOes Doublade, and hits Soundproof Kommo-o. U-turn allows Yanmega to take advantage of switches and gain momentum for its team against Pokemon like Moltres, Gigalith, and Porygon2; U-turn can also rack up damage to allow Yanmega to 2HKO certain Pokemon later. Giga Drain lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior and 2HKO non-specially defensive Milotic, the latter after Stealth Rock damage. Psychic is able to OHKO both Nidoqueen and offensive Roserade and 2HKO Dragalge, which Yanmega fails to achieve with any other move.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Timid nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential and allows it to outspeed and threaten Roserade, Kommo-o, Rotom-C, and anything slower. Tinted Lens means Yanmega doesn't have to worry about Pokemon that resist its STAB moves, and when used with Choice Specs, it allows Yanmega to properly wallbreak.

Usage Tips
========

Use Yanmega to punch holes into bulky teams and clear the path for teammates to clean up. This Yanmega set wants to be spamming Bug Buzz, but it may be more beneficial to use Air Slash or Giga Drain when the opponent has certain Pokemon, like Doublade, Kommo-o, and Rhyperior. U-turn should be used minimally and only if Yanmega is forcing a switch and it is beneficial to gain momentum instead of firing off an attack. Prevent Yanmega from switching into Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Rotom-C, and Tsareena is essential, since Yanmega loses around 50% of its health from switching into Stealth Rock. Xatu and Espeon also deserve a mention because they're able to consistently keep hazards off the field thanks to their ability, Magic Bounce. While Yanmega doesn't like getting chipped down by entry hazards itself, it appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field, since Yanmega forces switches into its common answers like Registeel and Porygon2, allowing the entry hazards to chip away at their health. On bulkier teams, Pokemon such as Chesnaught, Mega Steelix, Dragalge, and Bronzong are able to consistently provide hazard support for Yanmega. For more offensive teams, Mega Glalie, Roserade, and Nidoqueen are able to pressure common forms of hazard removal to ensure their hazards stay up on the field. Pokemon like Chesnaught, Rotom-C, and Sigilyph lure in Pokemon that Yanmega can beat; by having these teammates and predicting the opponent to go to their check, Yanmega can potentially get a free switch-in to KO something. Late-game cleaners like Dragon Dance Flygon, Curse Snorlax, Toxicroak, Durant, and Nasty Plot Salazzle can break through the opposing team once Yanmega has made way for them to do so; they're also able to pressure Steel-types for Yanmega. Pokemon that have similar checks to Yanmega, like Necrozma, Gardevoir, Dragalge, and Snorlax, can overwhelm checks that they have in common.

[SET]
name: Speed Boost Sweeper
move 1: Protect
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Air Slash
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect prevents Yanmega from being damaged, grants it a free Speed boost, and allows it to scout for Z-Moves. Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move, capable of hitting Dark- and Psychic-types like Umbreon, Necrozma, and Cresselia for super effective damage and ignoring Substitute. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move and allows it to beat Pokemon like Kommo-o, Bewear, and Decidueye. Giga Drain heals Life Orb damage and lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior. Hidden Power Fire can 2HKO Doublade and OHKO Escavalier, which both otherwise wall this set. Psychic can be used to hit Nidoqueen and Dragalge, which can take any other hit from this set and retaliate with a strong move, potentially OHKOing Yanmega. Shadow Ball can be used because it gives Yanmega a good way to hit Doublade and Gardevoir for super effective damage while also offering nice neutral coverage against a lot of Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential; there's no reason to run a Timid nature, since Speed Boost will consistently make Yanmega faster. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to outspeed the whole unboosted tier after just one activation and as well as some of the boosted tier like Choice Scarf Gardevoir if it hasn't copied Speed Boost. Life Orb provides Yanmega with a major power boost, allowing it to OHKO or 2HKO a large portion of the tier.

Usage Tips
========

Yanmega should be used as a wincon against frailer, more offensively oriented teams and can also be used as a late-game cleaner against bulkier teams. Use Protect to get a free Speed boost whenever attempting to sweep with Yanmega unless it is against Pokemon like Feraligatr and Doublade because they might use the free turn to set up. Try to keep Yanmega healthy early-game, only bringing it in whenever it can revenge kill a weakened Pokemon. Prevent Yanmega from switching in to Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks, even its own Life Orb recoil if it has to fire off five attacks. Yanmega has trouble taking even neutral hits because of its rather lacking defensive stats, so prevent it from taking too much unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Tsareena, and Rotom-C is mandatory with Yanmega due to its Stealth Rock weakness. Yanmega may not like entry hazards on its own side of the field, but it definitely likes to have them on the opposing side of the field, especially Spikes, since they allow Yanmega to pick up quite a few KOs that it otherwise just misses out on. Pokemon like Mega Steelix, Chesnaught, Mega Glalie, and Dragalge are capable of setting up entry hazards for Yanmega. Nidoqueen and Salazzle are able to beat a lot of Yanmega's common answers in Doublade, Florges, and Registeel; Nidoqueen can also set up Stealth Rock, aiding Yanmega with sweeping. Wallbreakers like Swords Dance Feraligatr, Choice Band Zygarde-10%, and Choice Band Snorlax can weaken the opposing team for Yanmega and allow it to sweep more easily. Pokemon that can set up hail or sand like Abomasnow and Gigalith are excellent teammates because they negate Leftovers recovery from checks to Yanmega, potentially allowing it to break through them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ancient Power can be used to allow Yanmega to OHKO Moltres, but it doesn't offer much else, and Yanmega doesn't really have a moveslot for it on either of its sets. Tailwind can be used on Yanmega's Choice Specs set instead of U-turn or Giga Drain to support its team, but it's a rather poor option because U-turn and Giga Drain offer more utility in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Porygon2, Florges, Diancie, and Gigalith can wall Yanmega with ease and cripple it with Toxic and stall it out of health. Diancie and Gigalith can even OHKO Yanmega with their STAB moves.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock cuts 50% of Yanmega's HP, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks. Common Stealth Rock setters like Diancie, Gigalith, and Registeel can even set up Stealth Rock on Yanmega.

**Snorlax**: Due to Snorlax's solid Special Defense stat, it's capable of taking any one hit from Yanmega and, if running Curse, setting up on it. Choice Band Snorlax can also threaten to OHKO Yanmega with Double-Edge.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Registeel and Escavalier can absorb most hits from Speed Boost Yanmega, but they have to be wary of Hidden Power Fire and tend to struggle with the Choice Specs set a lot more. Registeel deserves its own special mention because of its ability to take hits from the Choice Specs set as well as the Speed Boost set, but its lack of reliable recovery means it gets worn down rather quickly.

**Defensive Moltres**: Moltres is capable of stopping Choice Specs Yanmega from spamming Bug Buzz and can take most hits Yanmega can throw at it thanks to its solid natural bulk and typing. In return, it can threaten Yanmega with Flamethrower, though it does have to be wary of Air Slash and the rare Ancient Power, which can 2HKO and OHKO it respectively.

Last edited:

teachable

Banned deucer.
hiya

[OVERVIEW]
  • change break to clean re: speed boost.
  • mention yanmega's low base speed means the tinted lens set can't sweep a team, while its low special attack means you'll need a lot of chip to clean a team.
  • typing stuff seems like filler, maybe just tie it into the bullet point above re: you can't hurt Steels/Fires without tinted lens.
[Specs]
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention Kommo-o for Air Slash, re: Soundproof.
  • Mention Pokemon you would U-turn out on, like Moltres, Porygon2, Gigalith; something else where you need chip before you can threaten a 2HKO.
Set Details
========
  • Mention some more stuff that is slower that you can threaten to OHKO/2HKO.
  • Make the tinted lens mention more about how it makes its stab moves more spammable, since only quad-resistant pokemon "resist" it. You can elaborate on how that makes it have a lot less switch ins.
Usage Tips
========
  • What teammates enjoy having what sort of opposing bulky pokemon broken? Specific mentions here.
  • Not sure on the doublade mention; it isn't a great Yanmega switch in even with the 4x resist. Probably worth changing to Moltres?
  • Mention what you'd want to U-turn against.
  • Mention how Yanmega is frail and rarely wants to be switching into resisted hits. You can reference this in the next section.
Team Options
========

• Mention Magic Bounce w/ Xatu/Espeon.
  • I'd replace Florges with a Rotom-M/Rotom-Frost mention. I'd throw in Sigilyph too.
  • Mention P2 as an answer that doesn't appreciate entry hazard chip, over Escavalier who is taking like 50% unless its AV.
  • Mention Glalie/Roserade/Nidoqueen/Bronzong with the hazard setters. You can probably divide this into an offensive/defensive section.
  • Specs Yanmega doesn't really care about Steel-types because of the lack of their resistance. I'd maybe instead mention something about weakening some of these Pokemons checks (weakening Salazzle/P2 for Salazzle, doubling in on Chesnaught with your Flygon to fire off a Bug Buzz). Mention Durant here also.
  • Last sentence is a bit awkward phrasing wise, I'm not GP but you might wanna fix it.
[Speed Boost]
  • HP Fire can stay as just a set mention, since Speed Boost isn't breaking through Steel-types anyways and will need the team support to wear them down.
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Something about Z-Moves and going through protect I guess.
  • Shadow Ball mention about being a nice neutral move option, + Hitting Gard/Doublade.

Set Details
========
  • Mention some Scarfers you outspeed at +1, like Gardevoir if it hasn't traced Speed Boost.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mention Protect can give your opponent a turn of setup and you should be wary of that against Pokemon like Gatr, etc.
  • when you're mentioning bringing it in minimally, mention you can use it to revenge kill some Pokemon in a pinch.
  • Emphasize how frail it is.
Team Options
========

• Maybe something about how if you need less than 5 attacks to Sweep you can not prioritize removing SR? Mention some ways to remove hazards; you can c+p from above.
  • Same w/ above with c+ping the options from above.
  • Specify SD Gatr, Banded Snorlax, and I'd mention Banded Zydoge over Rhyperior.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Z-Moves aren't worth a mention here, IMO.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Mention how these Pokemon outside of P2 can be worn down by entry hazards or repeated attacks, but how they definitely threaten you out.

**Stealth Rock**: Specific setters that also can switch into Yanmega, maybe Diancie/Regi/Giga.

**Steel-Type Pokemon**: Don't mention w/ ease if it gets worn down easily also. I'd remove any mention of specs unless its talking about how the Tinted Lens/Specs set can break through these mons due to a lack of resist.

1/3, but I will give you another reply later w/ my thoughts on Speed Boost as I get more play time with it.

since you don't have an image, here.

hiya

[OVERVIEW]
  • change break to clean re: speed boost.
  • mention yanmega's low base speed means the tinted lens set can't sweep a team, while its low special attack means you'll need a lot of chip to clean a team.
  • typing stuff seems like filler, maybe just tie it into the bullet point above re: you can't hurt Steels/Fires without tinted lens.
[Specs]
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention Kommo-o for Air Slash, re: Soundproof.
  • Mention Pokemon you would U-turn out on, like Moltres, Porygon2, Gigalith; something else where you need chip before you can threaten a 2HKO.
Set Details
========
  • Mention some more stuff that is slower that you can threaten to OHKO/2HKO.
  • Make the tinted lens mention more about how it makes its stab moves more spammable, since only quad-resistant pokemon "resist" it. You can elaborate on how that makes it have a lot less switch ins.
Usage Tips
========
  • What teammates enjoy having what sort of opposing bulky pokemon broken? Specific mentions here.
  • Not sure on the doublade mention; it isn't a great Yanmega switch in even with the 4x resist. Probably worth changing to Moltres?
  • Mention what you'd want to U-turn against.
  • Mention how Yanmega is frail and rarely wants to be switching into resisted hits. You can reference this in the next section.
Team Options
========

• Mention Magic Bounce w/ Xatu/Espeon.
  • I'd replace Florges with a Rotom-M/Rotom-Frost mention. I'd throw in Sigilyph too.
  • Mention P2 as an answer that doesn't appreciate entry hazard chip, over Escavalier who is taking like 50% unless its AV.
  • Mention Glalie/Roserade/Nidoqueen/Bronzong with the hazard setters. You can probably divide this into an offensive/defensive section.
  • Specs Yanmega doesn't really care about Steel-types because of the lack of their resistance. I'd maybe instead mention something about weakening some of these Pokemons checks (weakening Salazzle/P2 for Salazzle, doubling in on Chesnaught with your Flygon to fire off a Bug Buzz). Mention Durant here also.
  • Last sentence is a bit awkward phrasing wise, I'm not GP but you might wanna fix it.
[Speed Boost]
  • HP Fire can stay as just a set mention, since Speed Boost isn't breaking through Steel-types anyways and will need the team support to wear them down.
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Something about Z-Moves and going through protect I guess.
  • Shadow Ball mention about being a nice neutral move option, + Hitting Gard/Doublade.

Set Details
========
  • Mention some Scarfers you outspeed at +1, like Gardevoir if it hasn't traced Speed Boost.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mention Protect can give your opponent a turn of setup and you should be wary of that against Pokemon like Gatr, etc.
  • when you're mentioning bringing it in minimally, mention you can use it to revenge kill some Pokemon in a pinch.
  • Emphasize how frail it is.
Team Options
========

• Maybe something about how if you need less than 5 attacks to Sweep you can not prioritize removing SR? Mention some ways to remove hazards; you can c+p from above.
  • Same w/ above with c+ping the options from above.
  • Specify SD Gatr, Banded Snorlax, and I'd mention Banded Zydoge over Rhyperior.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Z-Moves aren't worth a mention here, IMO.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Mention how these Pokemon outside of P2 can be worn down by entry hazards or repeated attacks, but how they definitely threaten you out.

**Stealth Rock**: Specific setters that also can switch into Yanmega, maybe Diancie/Regi/Giga.

**Steel-Type Pokemon**: Don't mention w/ ease if it gets worn down easily also. I'd remove any mention of specs unless its talking about how the Tinted Lens/Specs set can break through these mons due to a lack of resist.

1/3, but I will give you another reply later w/ my thoughts on Speed Boost as I get more play time with it.

since you don't have an image, here.
typing stuff seems like filler, maybe just tie it into the bullet point above re: you can't hurt Steels/Fires without tinted lens.
didnt rly know how to implement this so any help w/ that wud be nice.
Mention Glalie/Roserade/Nidoqueen/Bronzong with the hazard setters. You can probably divide this into an offensive/defensive section.
also dint know how to word this exactly by this i mean 'into an offensive and defensive section'
Specs Yanmega doesn't really care about Steel-types because of the lack of their resistance. I'd maybe instead mention something about weakening some of these Pokemons checks (weakening Salazzle/P2 for Salazzle, doubling in on Chesnaught with your Flygon to fire off a Bug Buzz). Mention Durant here also.
this isnt rly clear to me, where did i ever mention this in Team Options?
Mention some Scarfers you outspeed at +1, like Gardevoir if it hasn't traced Speed Boost.
?
Maybe something about how if you need less than 5 attacks to Sweep you can not prioritize removing SR? Mention some ways to remove hazards; you can c+p from above.
Same w/ above with c+ping the options from above.
?
Implemented everything but these points, theyre kinda unclear to me so thats why i havent implemented them and would like for u to explain them to me if possible.

teachable

Banned deucer.
Yanmega is a particularly frail Pokemon; combined with its weakness to common attacking typings such as Fire- and Ice- type attacks leave it susceptible to being revenge killed by Pokemon like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, Mega Abomasnow, and Moltres. In addition, it struggles to deal any amount of significant damage to Pokemon resistant to its STAB combination such as xyz.

also dint know how to word this exactly by this i mean 'into an offensive and defensive section'
While Yanmega doesn't like getting chipped down by entry hazards itself, it loves entry hazards on the opposing side of the field, since Yanmega forces switches into its common answers like Registeel and Porygon2, allowing the entry hazards to chip away at their health. On more bulkier teams, Pokemon such as xyz are able to consistently provide hazard support for Yanmega. For more offensive oriented teams, xyz are able to pressure common forms of Hazard removal to ensure...

the Registeel mention. wrt the Durant mention, I guess a new bullet point or an addition to the last would be ideal, getting across the point that it pairs nicely with Pokemon with checks that are weak to Yanmega (like Chesnaught, think of some other stuff kus I'm drawing a blank) due to the fact that you can double into Yanmega and nuke something. You can include some more elaboration on this in usage tips probably, since it could get really wordy otherwise.

?
you mention outspeeding the entire unboosted tier but you also outpace some of the boosted tier as well at +1, such as scarf gardevoir if it hasn't traced Speed Boost. mention that.

?
you mention prioritizing hazard removal, but that's only necessary if you have to take more than 5 life orb recoils to perform a sweep.

lemme know if you need more clarification.
I've been messing around with Speed Boost yanmega and honestly like weather paired with it, like Mega Aboma/Gigalith. probably worth a mention in Team Options since it negates lefties recovery of its checks like Regi + chips away at stuff like Doublade/Porygon2.
here's my team if you want to mess around with it

Yanmega is a particularly frail Pokemon; combined with its weakness to common attacking typings such as Fire- and Ice- type attacks leave it susceptible to being revenge killed by Pokemon like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, Mega Abomasnow, and Moltres. In addition, it struggles to deal any amount of significant damage to Pokemon resistant to its STAB combination such as xyz.

While Yanmega doesn't like getting chipped down by entry hazards itself, it loves entry hazards on the opposing side of the field, since Yanmega forces switches into its common answers like Registeel and Porygon2, allowing the entry hazards to chip away at their health. On more bulkier teams, Pokemon such as xyz are able to consistently provide hazard support for Yanmega. For more offensive oriented teams, xyz are able to pressure common forms of Hazard removal to ensure...

the Registeel mention. wrt the Durant mention, I guess a new bullet point or an addition to the last would be ideal, getting across the point that it pairs nicely with Pokemon with checks that are weak to Yanmega (like Chesnaught, think of some other stuff kus I'm drawing a blank) due to the fact that you can double into Yanmega and nuke something. You can include some more elaboration on this in usage tips probably, since it could get really wordy otherwise.

?
you mention outspeeding the entire unboosted tier but you also outpace some of the boosted tier as well at +1, such as scarf gardevoir if it hasn't traced Speed Boost. mention that.

?
you mention prioritizing hazard removal, but that's only necessary if you have to take more than 5 life orb recoils to perform a sweep.

lemme know if you need more clarification.
I've been messing around with Speed Boost yanmega and honestly like weather paired with it, like Mega Aboma/Gigalith. probably worth a mention in Team Options since it negates lefties recovery of its checks like Regi + chips away at stuff like Doublade/Porygon2.
here's my team if you want to mess around with it
Thanks and Implemented.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
emphasize spikes support on the speed boost set, right now you're emphasizing hazards more on specs than speed boost when it should be the other way around. remove registeel mentions from both sets also, it's not usually a mon you'd use on the same team as yanmega. replace with mlix if necessary

there's a lot of overlap in team options. for example specs set you mention rotom-c as a defogger then again as a mon that shares checks with yanmega, same for snorlax, so maybe you might wanna fix those to kinda look better. you don't wanna write 500 word essay in team options lul

OO is a bit bare so add Tailwind as a last ditch effort on the specs set, instead of u-turn or giga drain.

the stuff you wrote so far seems sloppy but the content is good and you cover the necessary information so i'll let GP handle it tbh

good stuff

QC approved 2/3

Last edited:
emphasize spikes support on the speed boost set, right now you're emphasizing hazards more on specs than speed boost when it should be the other way around. remove registeel mentions from both sets also, it's not usually a mon you'd use on the same team as yanmega. replace with mlix if necessary

there's a lot of overlap in team options. for example specs set you mention rotom-c as a defogger then again as a mon that shares checks with yanmega, same for snorlax, do maybe you might wanna fix those to kinda look better. you don't wanna write 500 word essay in team options lul

OO is a bit bare so add Tailwind as a last ditch effort on the specs set, instead of u-turn or giga drain.

the stuff you wrote so far seems sloppy but the content is good and you cover the necessary information so i'll let GP handle it tbh

good stuff

QC approved 2/3
Implemented, I'll write this up soon.

phantom

Banned deucer.
mention snorlax and defensive moltres in checks and counters

remove steelix from checks and counters since it literally loses to specs one-on-one

the overview needs to be rewritten. it sounds very clunky and just lists superficial info that anyone looking at the dex can find. try and talk more about what it does instead of listing its abilities and weaknesses.

mention snorlax and defensive moltres in checks and counters

remove steelix from checks and counters since it literally loses to specs one-on-one

the overview needs to be rewritten. it sounds very clunky and just lists superficial info that anyone looking at the dex can find. try and talk more about what it does instead of listing its abilities and weaknesses.
Implemented.

GP 1/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Yanmega's access to Tinted Lens which makes making its STAB moves a lot more spammable, when equipped with a Choice Specs it can act as an fantastic Choice Specs wallbreaker against bulkier and slower oriented teams. Yanmega also has access to Speed Boost, (comma) which makes it a solid sweeper against frailer offensive teams, (comma) which that generally don't carry equipment the means to properly deal with it defensively nor offensively. Yanmega's typing is pretty bad defensively, (comma) however, as it leaves Yanmega with a lot of weaknesses weak to common offensive typings such as Fire-, Ice-, Electric-, Rock-, and Flying-types like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, Moltres, Rhyperior, and Rotom-H. Its typing also gives it a hefty weakness to Stealth Rock, cutting which cuts away around 50% of its health upon switchin switching in.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and does a ton of damage to Pokemon that aren't specially defensive walls. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move,; (semi) while less powerful than Bug Buzz, it offers better coverage, 2HKOes Doublade, and hits Soundproof Kommo-o boasting less power than Bug Buzz, it offers better coverage than Bug Buzz does, for example it is able to 2HKO Doublade, which Bug Buzz fails to do, it can also hit Kommo-O which Yanmega can't hit with Bug Buzz due to its ability Soundproof. U-turn allows Yanmega to take advantage of switches and allows it to gain momentum for its team against Pokemon like Moltres, Gigalith, and Porygon2; (semi) for its team, it U-turn can also rack up damage to allow Yanmega to 2HKO certain Pokemon later. Giga Drain lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior and 2HKO Milotic, the latter after Stealth Rock damage. (milotic with spd investment aren't, is that worth mentioning?) Psychic is able to OHKO both Nidoqueen and offensive Roserade and also able to 2HKO Dragalge, which Yanmega fails to achieve with any other move.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Timid nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential and allows it to outspeed and threaten Roserade, Kommo-O, Rotom-C, (comma) and anything slower. Tinted Lens powers up Yanmega's STAB moves against Pokemon that are resistant to them and make them more spammable, since means Yanmega doesn't have to worry about Pokemon that resist its STAB moves, and when used with Choice Specs, (comma) it allows Yanmega to properly wallbreak.

Usage Tips
========

Use Yanmega to punch holes into more bulky oriented teams and clear the path for teammates to clean up. This Yanmega set wants to be spamming Bug Buzz, however but it may be more beneficial to use Air Slash or Giga Drain in some situations against when the opponent has certain Pokemon, like Doublade, Kommo-O, and Rhyperior for example. U-turn should be used minimally and only if Yanmega is forcing a switch and if it is beneficial to gain momentum with Yanmega instead of firing off an attack. This should be pretty obvious, but prevent Yanmega from switching in(space)to Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Rotom-C, and Tsareena is essential, since Yanmega loses around 50% of its health from switching in(space)to Stealth Rock. Xatu and Espeon also deserve a special mention since because they're able to, (comma) consistently keep hazards off the field thanks to their abibility, Magic Bounce. While Yanmega doesn't like getting chipped down by entry hazards itself, it appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field, since Yanmega forces switches into its common answers like Registeel and Porygon2, allowing the entry hazards to chip away at their health. On more bulkier teams, Pokemon such as Chesnaught, Mega Steelix, Dragalge, and Bronzong are able to consistently provide hazard support for Yanmega. For more offensive oriented teams, Mega Glalie, Roserade, and Nidoqueen are able to pressure common forms of hazard removal to ensure Stealth Rock to their hazards stay up on the field. Pokemon like Chesnaught, Rotom-C, and Sigilyph lure in Pokemon that Yanmega can beat,; (semi) (like?) by having in these teammates and predicting the opponent to go to their check, (comma) Yanmega can potentially get off a free hit a free switch in to nuke something. Late-game cleaners like Dragon Dance Flygon, Curse Snorlax, Toxicroak, Durant, and Nasty Plot Salazzle can break through the opposing team once Yanmega has made a way for them to do so,; (semi) they're also able to pressure Steel-types for Yanmega. Pokemon that have similar checks to Yanmega, (comma) like Necrozma, Gardevoir, Dragalge, (comma) and Snorlax, can overwhelm checks that they have in common.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect prevents Yanmega from being damaged, (comma) and grants it a free Speed Boost, it also and allows Yanmega it to scout for Z-Moves. Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move, capable of hittting hitting Dark- and Psychic-types like Umbreon, Necrozma, and Cresselia for super effective damage and ignores ignoring Substitute. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move and allows Yanmega to beat Pokemon like Kommo-O, Bewear, and Decidueye. Giga Drain heals off Life Orb damage and lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior. Hidden Power Fire can 2HKO Doublade while being able to and OHKO Escavalier, which both would otherwise wall this set. Psychic can be used to hit Nidoqueen and Dragalge, which can take any other hit from this set and retaliate with a strong move, potentially OHKOing Yanmega. Shadow Ball can also be used since because it gives Yanmega a good way to hit Doublade and Gardevoir for super effective damage while also offering nice neutral coverage against a lot of Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential,; (semi) there's no reason to run a Timid nature, (comma) since Speed Boost will consistently make Yanmega faster. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to outspeed the whole unboosted tier after just one Speed boost activation and even some of the boosted tier like Choice Scarf Gardevoir if it hasn't traced copied Speed Boost. Life Orb provides Yanmega with a really powerful major power boost, allowing it to OHKO and or 2HKO a large portion of the tier.

Usage Tips
========

This Yanmega set should be used as a wincon against frailer, more offensively oriented teams and can also be used as a late-game cleaner against bulkier teams. Use Protect to get a free Speed boost whenever attempting to sweep with Yanmega, (comma) however, sometimes this needs a little more thought, for example Protect should not be used unless against Pokemon like Feraligatr and Doublade because they might use this opportunity the free turn to set up. Try to keep Yanmega healthy early-(hyphen)game, and only bringing it in minimally early-game whenever it can revenge kill a weakened Pokemon. This should be pretty obvious, but prevent Yanmega from switching in to Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks, even its own Life Orb recoil if it has to fire off five attacks. Yanmega has trouble taking hits, even neutral hits because of its rather lacking defensive stats, so prevent it from taking too much unessecary unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is necesarry mandatory with Yanmega, (comma) since if Yanmega switches in on Stealth Rock it will lose 50% of its health due to Yanmega's Stealth Rock weakness. (examples of removers, please) Yanmega may not like entry hazards on its own side of the field, but it definetly prefers definitely likes to have them on the opposing side of the field, especially Spikes, since they allow Yanmega to pick up quite a few KOs that it otherwise just misses out on. Pokemon like Mega Steelix, Chesnaught, Mega Glalie, and Dragalge aree capable of setting up entry hazards for Yanmega. Nidoqueen and Salazzle are able to beat a lot of Yanmega's common answers like in Doublade, Florges, and Registeel,; (semi) Nidoqueen it can also set up Stealth Rock;, (comma) aiding Yanmega with sweeping. Wallbreakers like Swords Dance Feraligatr, Choice Band Zygarde, and Choice Band Snorlax can weaken the opposing team for Yanmega and allow it to sweep easier. Pokemon that can set up weather sandstorm or hail like Abomasnow and Gigalith are excellent teammates since because they negate Leftovers recovery from checks to Yanmega, potentially allowing Yanmega to break through them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ancient Power can be used to allow Yanmega to OHKO Moltres, however, but it doesn't offer much else and Yanmega doesn't really have a moveslot for it on either of its sets. Tailwind can be used on Yanmega's Choice Specs set instead of U-turn or Giga Drain to support its team, however, its but it's a rather poor option because U-turn and Giga Drain offer more utility in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Porygon 2, Florges, Diancie, and Gigalith can wall Yanmega with ease, (comma) they can completely and cripple Yanmega with Toxic and stall it out of health,. (per) Diancie and Gigalith can even OHKO Yanmega with their STAB moves.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock cuts Yanmega's health by 50% and brings 50% of Yanmega's HP, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks,. (per) Common Stealth Rock setters like Diancie, Gigalith, and Registeel can even set up Stealth Rock on Yanmega.

**Snorlax**: Due to Snorlax's solid Special Defense stat, (comma) it's capable of taking any one hit from Yanmega and, if running Curse, setting up on it. and set up on it in Curse Snorlax's case, Choice Band Snorlax can also threaten to OHKO Yanmega with an OHKO with Double-(hyphen)Edge.

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types such as Registeel and Escavalier can eat absorb most hits from both Speed Boost Yanmega, but they have to be wary of Hidden Power Fire, (comma) they also and tend to struggle with the Choice Specs set a lot more. Registeel deserves its own special mention because of its ability to take a hits from the Choice Specs set as well as the Speed Boost set, however, but its lack of reliable recovery means it gets worn down rather fast quickly.

**Defensive Moltres**: Moltres is capable of stopping Choice Specs Yanmega from spamming Bug Buzz and can take most hits Yanmega can throw at it thanks to its solid natural bulk and typing,. (per) In return, it in return can threaten Yanmega with Flamethrower, however though it does have to be wary of Air Slash since it's capable of 2HKOing Moltres and the rather rare Ancient Power which can even OHKO it and the rare Ancient Power, which can 2HKO and OHKO it respectively.

It's apparent that you're not the strongest in terms of comma usage; if you want, I can help you with that or answer any questions you have about my check. Just hit me up through PM or on Discord.

Last edited:

GP 1/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Yanmega's Tinted Lens making its STAB moves a lot more spammable, it can act as an fantastic Choice Specs wallbreaker against bulkier and slower teams. Yanmega also has access to Speed Boost, which makes it a solid sweeper against frailer offensive teams, which generally don't carry the means to properly deal with it defensively nor offensively. Yanmega's typing is pretty bad defensively, however, as it leaves Yanmega weak to common offensive Fire-, Ice-, Electric-, Rock-, and Flying-types like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, Moltres, Rhyperior, and Rotom-H. Its typing also gives it a hefty weakness to Stealth Rock, which cuts away 50% of its health upon switching in.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and does a ton of damage to Pokemon that aren't specially defensive walls. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move; while less powerful than Bug Buzz, it offers better coverage, 2HKOes Doublade, and hits Soundproof Kommo-o. U-turn allows Yanmega to take advantage of switches and gain momentum for its team against Pokemon like Moltres, Gigalith, and Porygon2; U-turn can also rack up damage to allow Yanmega to 2HKO certain Pokemon later. Giga Drain lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior and 2HKO non Specially Defensive Milotic, the latter after Stealth Rock damage. Psychic is able to OHKO both Nidoqueen and offensive Roserade and 2HKO Dragalge, which Yanmega fails to achieve with any other move.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Timid nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential and allows it to outspeed and threaten Roserade, Kommo-O, Rotom-C, and anything slower. Tinted Lens means Yanmega doesn't have to worry about Pokemon that resist its STAB moves, and when used with Choice Specs, it allows Yanmega to properly wallbreak.

Usage Tips
========

Use Yanmega to punch holes into bulky teams and clear the path for teammates to clean up. This Yanmega set wants to be spamming Bug Buzz, but it may be more beneficial to use Air Slash or Giga Drain when the opponent has certain Pokemon, like Doublade, Kommo-O, and Rhyperior. U-turn should be used minimally and only if Yanmega is forcing a switch and it is beneficial to gain momentum instead of firing off an attack. This should be pretty obvious, but prevent Yanmega from switching into Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Rotom-C, and Tsareena is essential, since Yanmega loses around 50% of its health from switching into Stealth Rock. Xatu and Espeon also deserve a mention because they're able to consistently keep hazards off the field thanks to their ability, Magic Bounce. While Yanmega doesn't like getting chipped down by entry hazards itself, it appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field, since Yanmega forces switches into its common answers like Registeel and Porygon2, allowing the entry hazards to chip away at their health. On bulkier teams, Pokemon such as Chesnaught, Mega Steelix, Dragalge, and Bronzong are able to consistently provide hazard support for Yanmega. For more offensive teams, Mega Glalie, Roserade, and Nidoqueen are able to pressure common forms of hazard removal to ensure their hazards stay up on the field. Pokemon like Chesnaught, Rotom-C, and Sigilyph lure in Pokemon that Yanmega can beat; by having these teammates and predicting the opponent to go to their check, Yanmega can potentially get a free switch in to nuke something. Late-game cleaners like Dragon Dance Flygon, Curse Snorlax, Toxicroak, Durant, and Nasty Plot Salazzle can break through the opposing team once Yanmega has made way for them to do so; they're also able to pressure Steel-types for Yanmega. Pokemon that have similar checks to Yanmega, like Necrozma, Gardevoir, Dragalge, and Snorlax, can overwhelm checks that they have in common.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect prevents Yanmega from being damaged, grants it a free Speed Boost, and allows it to scout for Z-Moves. Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move, capable of hitting Dark- and Psychic-types like Umbreon, Necrozma, and Cresselia for super effective damage and ignoring Substitute. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move and allows Yanmega to beat Pokemon like Kommo-O, Bewear, and Decidueye. Giga Drain heals Life Orb damage and lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior. Hidden Power Fire can 2HKO Doublade OHKO Escavalier, which both otherwise wall this set. Psychic can be used to hit Nidoqueen and Dragalge, which can take any other hit from this set and retaliate with a strong move, potentially OHKOing Yanmega. Shadow Ball can be used because it gives Yanmega a good way to hit Doublade and Gardevoir for super effective damage while also offering nice neutral coverage against a lot of Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential; there's no reason to run a Timid nature, since Speed Boost will consistently make Yanmega faster. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to outspeed the whole unboosted tier after just one activation and even some of the boosted tier like Choice Scarf Gardevoir if it hasn't copied Speed Boost. Life Orb provides Yanmega with a major power boost, allowing it to OHKO or 2HKO a large portion of the tier.

Usage Tips
========

This Yanmega set should be used as a wincon against frailer, more offensively oriented teams and can also be used as a late-game cleaner against bulkier teams. Use Protect to get a free Speed boost whenever attempting to sweep with Yanmega unless against Pokemon like Feraligatr and Doublade because they might use the free turn to set up. Try to keep Yanmega healthy early-game, only bringing it in whenever it can revenge kill a weakened Pokemon. This should be pretty obvious, but prevent Yanmega from switching in to Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks, even its own Life Orb recoil if it has to fire off five attacks. Yanmega has trouble taking even neutral hits because of its rather lacking defensive stats, so prevent it from taking too much unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Tsareena, and Rotom-C is mandatory with Yanmega due to Yanmega's Stealth Rock weakness. Yanmega may not like entry hazards on its own side of the field, but it definitely likes to have them on the opposing side of the field, especially Spikes, since they allow Yanmega to pick up quite a few KOs that it otherwise just misses out on. Pokemon like Mega Steelix, Chesnaught, Mega Glalie, and Dragalge are capable of setting up entry hazards for Yanmega. Nidoqueen and Salazzle are able to beat a lot of Yanmega's common answers in Doublade, Florges, and Registeel; Nidoqueen can also set up Stealth Rock, aiding Yanmega with sweeping. Wallbreakers like Swords Dance Feraligatr, Choice Band Zygarde, and Choice Band Snorlax can weaken the opposing team for Yanmega and allow it to sweep easier. Pokemon that can set up sandstorm or hail like Abomasnow and Gigalith are excellent teammates because they negate Leftovers recovery from checks to Yanmega, potentially allowing Yanmega to break through them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ancient Power can be used to allow Yanmega to OHKO Moltres, but it doesn't offer much else and Yanmega doesn't really have a moveslot for it on either of its sets. Tailwind can be used on Yanmega's Choice Specs set instead of U-turn or Giga Drain to support its team, but it's a rather poor option because U-turn and Giga Drain offer more utility in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Porygon 2, Florges, Diancie, and Gigalith can wall Yanmega with ease and cripple Yanmega with Toxic and stall it out of health,.Diancie and Gigalith can even OHKO Yanmega with their STAB moves.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock cuts 50% of Yanmega's HP, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks. Common Stealth Rock setters like Diancie, Gigalith, and Registeel can even set up Stealth Rock on Yanmega.

**Snorlax**: Due to Snorlax's solid Special Defense stat, it's capable of taking any one hit from Yanmega and, if running Curse, setting up on it. Choice Band Snorlax can also threaten to OHKO Yanmega with Double-Edge.

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types such as Registeel and Escavalier can absorb most hits from Speed Boost Yanmega, but they have to be wary of Hidden Power Fire and tend to struggle with the Choice Specs set a lot more. Registeel deserves its own special mention because of its ability to take hits from the Choice Specs set as well as the Speed Boost set, but its lack of reliable recovery means it gets worn down rather quickly.

**Defensive Moltres**: Moltres is capable of stopping Choice Specs Yanmega from spamming Bug Buzz and can take most hits Yanmega can throw at it thanks to its solid natural bulk and typing. In return, it can threaten Yanmega with Flamethrower, though it does have to be wary of Air Slash and the rare Ancient Power, which can 2HKO and OHKO it respectively.

It's apparent that you're not the strongest in terms of comma usage; if you want, I can help you with that or answer any questions you have about my check. Just hit me up through PM or on Discord.
Implemented.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
first check of 2018

GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Yanmega's Tinted Lens making its Yanmega's STAB moves a lot more spammable, it can act as an fantastic Choice Specs wallbreaker against bulkier and slower teams. Yanmega also has access to Speed Boost, which makes it a solid sweeper against frailer offensive teams, which generally don't carry the means to properly deal with it defensively nor offensively. Yanmega's typing is pretty bad defensively, however, as it leaves Yanmega weak to common offensive Fire-, Ice-, Electric-, Rock-, and Flying-types like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, Moltres, Rhyperior, and Rotom-H Rotom-H, Rhyperior, and Moltres. Its typing also gives it a hefty weakness to Stealth Rock, which cuts away 50% of its health upon switching in.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and does a ton of damage to Pokemon that aren't specially defensive walls. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move; while less powerful than Bug Buzz, it offers better coverage, 2HKOes Doublade, and hits Soundproof Kommo-o. U-turn allows Yanmega to take advantage of switches and gain momentum for its team against Pokemon like Moltres, Gigalith, and Porygon2; U-turn can also rack up damage to allow Yanmega to 2HKO certain Pokemon later. Giga Drain lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior and 2HKO non-(AH)specially defensive Milotic, the latter after Stealth Rock damage. Psychic is able to OHKO both Nidoqueen and offensive Roserade and 2HKO Dragalge, which Yanmega fails to achieve with any other move.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Timid nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential and allows it to outspeed and threaten Roserade, Kommo-o, Rotom-C, and anything slower. Tinted Lens means Yanmega doesn't have to worry about Pokemon that resist its STAB moves, and when used with Choice Specs, it allows Yanmega to properly wallbreak.

Usage Tips
========

Use Yanmega to punch holes into bulky teams and clear the path for teammates to clean up. This Yanmega set wants to be spamming Bug Buzz, but it may be more beneficial to use Air Slash or Giga Drain when the opponent has certain Pokemon, like Doublade, Kommo-o, and Rhyperior. U-turn should be used minimally and only if Yanmega is forcing a switch and it is beneficial to gain momentum instead of firing off an attack. This should be pretty obvious, but Prevent Yanmega from switching into Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Rotom-C, and Tsareena is essential, since Yanmega loses around 50% of its health from switching into Stealth Rock. Xatu and Espeon also deserve a mention because they're able to consistently keep hazards off the field thanks to their ability, Magic Bounce. While Yanmega doesn't like getting chipped down by entry hazards itself, it appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field, since Yanmega forces switches into its common answers like Registeel and Porygon2, allowing the entry hazards to chip away at their health. On bulkier teams, Pokemon such as Chesnaught, Mega Steelix, Dragalge, and Bronzong are able to consistently provide hazard support for Yanmega. For more offensive teams, Mega Glalie, Roserade, and Nidoqueen are able to pressure common forms of hazard removal to ensure their hazards stay up on the field. Pokemon like Chesnaught, Rotom-C, and Sigilyph lure in Pokemon that Yanmega can beat; by having these teammates and predicting the opponent to go to their check, Yanmega can potentially get a free switch in to nuke switch-in to KO something. Late-game cleaners like Dragon Dance Flygon, Curse Snorlax, Toxicroak, Durant, and Nasty Plot Salazzle can break through the opposing team once Yanmega has made way for them to do so; they're also able to pressure Steel-types for Yanmega. Pokemon that have similar checks to Yanmega, like Necrozma, Gardevoir, Dragalge, and Snorlax, can overwhelm checks that they have in common.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect prevents Yanmega from being damaged, grants it a free Speed boost, and allows it to scout for Z-Moves. Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move, capable of hitting Dark- and Psychic-types like Umbreon, Necrozma, and Cresselia for super effective damage and ignoring Substitute. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move and allows Yanmega it to beat Pokemon like Kommo-o, Bewear, and Decidueye. Giga Drain heals Life Orb damage and lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior. Hidden Power Fire can 2HKO Doublade and OHKO Escavalier, which both otherwise wall this set. Psychic can be used to hit Nidoqueen and Dragalge, which can take any other hit from this set and retaliate with a strong move, potentially OHKOing Yanmega. Shadow Ball can be used because it gives Yanmega a good way to hit Doublade and Gardevoir for super effective damage while also offering nice neutral coverage against a lot of Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential; there's no reason to run a Timid nature, since Speed Boost will consistently make Yanmega faster. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to outspeed the whole unboosted tier after just one activation and even as well as some of the boosted tier like Choice Scarf Gardevoir if it hasn't copied Speed Boost. Life Orb provides Yanmega with a major power boost, allowing it to OHKO or 2HKO a large portion of the tier.

Usage Tips
========

This Yanmega set should be used as a wincon against frailer, more offensively oriented teams and can also be used as a late-game cleaner against bulkier teams. Use Protect to get a free Speed boost whenever attempting to sweep with Yanmega unless it is against Pokemon like Feraligatr and Doublade because they might use the free turn to set up. Try to keep Yanmega healthy early-game, only bringing it in whenever it can revenge kill a weakened Pokemon. This should be pretty obvious, but Prevent Yanmega from switching in to Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks, even its own Life Orb recoil if it has to fire off five attacks. Yanmega has trouble taking even neutral hits because of its rather lacking defensive stats, so prevent it from taking too much unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Tsareena, and Rotom-C is mandatory with Yanmega due to Yanmega's its Stealth Rock weakness. Yanmega may not like entry hazards on its own side of the field, but it definitely likes to have them on the opposing side of the field, especially Spikes, since they allow Yanmega to pick up quite a few KOs that it otherwise just misses out on. Pokemon like Mega Steelix, Chesnaught, Mega Glalie, and Dragalge are capable of setting up entry hazards for Yanmega. Nidoqueen and Salazzle are able to beat a lot of Yanmega's common answers in Doublade, Florges, and Registeel; Nidoqueen can also set up Stealth Rock, aiding Yanmega with sweeping. Wallbreakers like Swords Dance Feraligatr, Choice Band Zygarde-10%, and Choice Band Snorlax can weaken the opposing team for Yanmega and allow it to sweep easier more easily. Pokemon that can set up sandstorm or hail or sand like Abomasnow and Gigalith are excellent teammates because they negate Leftovers recovery from checks to Yanmega, potentially allowing Yanmega it to break through them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ancient Power can be used to allow Yanmega to OHKO Moltres, but it doesn't offer much else, (AC) and Yanmega doesn't really have a moveslot for it on either of its sets. Tailwind can be used on Yanmega's Choice Specs set instead of U-turn or Giga Drain to support its team, but it's a rather poor option because U-turn and Giga Drain offer more utility in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Porygon 2 Porygon2, Florges, Diancie, and Gigalith can wall Yanmega with ease and cripple Yanmega it with Toxic and stall it out of health. (space) Diancie and Gigalith can even OHKO Yanmega with their STAB moves.

**Steel-types Pokemon**: Steel-types such as Registeel and Escavalier can absorb most hits from Speed Boost Yanmega, but they have to be wary of Hidden Power Fire and tend to struggle with the Choice Specs set a lot more. Registeel deserves its own special mention because of its ability to take hits from the Choice Specs set as well as the Speed Boost set, but its lack of reliable recovery means it gets worn down rather quickly.

first check of 2018

GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Tinted Lens making Yanmega's STAB moves a lot more spammable, it can act as an fantastic Choice Specs wallbreaker against bulkier and slower teams. Yanmega also has access to Speed Boost, which makes it a solid sweeper against frailer offensive teams, which generally don't carry the means to properly deal with it defensively nor offensively. Yanmega's typing is pretty bad defensively, however, as it leaves Yanmega weak to common offensive Fire-, Ice-, Electric-, Rock-, and Flying-types like Salazzle, Mega Glalie, Rotom-H, Rhyperior, and Moltres. Its typing also gives it a hefty weakness to Stealth Rock, which cuts away 50% of its health upon switching in.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and does a ton of damage to Pokemon that aren't specially defensive walls. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move; while less powerful than Bug Buzz, it offers better coverage, 2HKOes Doublade, and hits Soundproof Kommo-o. U-turn allows Yanmega to take advantage of switches and gain momentum for its team against Pokemon like Moltres, Gigalith, and Porygon2; U-turn can also rack up damage to allow Yanmega to 2HKO certain Pokemon later. Giga Drain lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior and 2HKO non-specially defensive Milotic, the latter after Stealth Rock damage. Psychic is able to OHKO both Nidoqueen and offensive Roserade and 2HKO Dragalge, which Yanmega fails to achieve with any other move.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Use Yanmega to punch holes into bulky teams and clear the path for teammates to clean up. This Yanmega set wants to be spamming Bug Buzz, but it may be more beneficial to use Air Slash or Giga Drain when the opponent has certain Pokemon, like Doublade, Kommo-o, and Rhyperior. U-turn should be used minimally and only if Yanmega is forcing a switch and it is beneficial to gain momentum instead of firing off an attack. Prevent Yanmega from switching into Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Rotom-C, and Tsareena is essential, since Yanmega loses around 50% of its health from switching into Stealth Rock. Xatu and Espeon also deserve a mention because they're able to consistently keep hazards off the field thanks to their ability, Magic Bounce. While Yanmega doesn't like getting chipped down by entry hazards itself, it appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field, since Yanmega forces switches into its common answers like Registeel and Porygon2, allowing the entry hazards to chip away at their health. On bulkier teams, Pokemon such as Chesnaught, Mega Steelix, Dragalge, and Bronzong are able to consistently provide hazard support for Yanmega. For more offensive teams, Mega Glalie, Roserade, and Nidoqueen are able to pressure common forms of hazard removal to ensure their hazards stay up on the field. Pokemon like Chesnaught, Rotom-C, and Sigilyph lure in Pokemon that Yanmega can beat; by having these teammates and predicting the opponent to go to their check, Yanmega can potentially get a free switch-in to KO something. Late-game cleaners like Dragon Dance Flygon, Curse Snorlax, Toxicroak, Durant, and Nasty Plot Salazzle can break through the opposing team once Yanmega has made way for them to do so; they're also able to pressure Steel-types for Yanmega. Pokemon that have similar checks to Yanmega, like Necrozma, Gardevoir, Dragalge, and Snorlax, can overwhelm checks that they have in common.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect prevents Yanmega from being damaged, grants it a free Speed boost, and allows it to scout for Z-Moves. Bug Buzz is Yanmega's strongest STAB move, capable of hitting Dark- and Psychic-types like Umbreon, Necrozma, and Cresselia for super effective damage and ignoring Substitute. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB move and allows it to beat Pokemon like Kommo-o, Bewear, and Decidueye. Giga Drain heals Life Orb damage and lets Yanmega OHKO Rhyperior. Hidden Power Fire can 2HKO Doublade and OHKO Escavalier, which both otherwise wall this set. Psychic can be used to hit Nidoqueen and Dragalge, which can take any other hit from this set and retaliate with a strong move, potentially OHKOing Yanmega. Shadow Ball can be used because it gives Yanmega a good way to hit Doublade and Gardevoir for super effective damage while also offering nice neutral coverage against a lot of Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment in conjunction with a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential; there's no reason to run a Timid nature, since Speed Boost will consistently make Yanmega faster. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to outspeed the whole unboosted tier after just one activation and as well as some of the boosted tier like Choice Scarf Gardevoir if it hasn't copied Speed Boost. Life Orb provides Yanmega with a major power boost, allowing it to OHKO or 2HKO a large portion of the tier.

Usage Tips
========

Yanmega should be used as a wincon against frailer, more offensively oriented teams and can also be used as a late-game cleaner against bulkier teams. Use Protect to get a free Speed boost whenever attempting to sweep with Yanmega unless it is against Pokemon like Feraligatr and Doublade because they might use the free turn to set up. Try to keep Yanmega healthy early-game, only bringing it in whenever it can revenge kill a weakened Pokemon. Prevent Yanmega from switching in to Stealth Rock, as this will significantly damage it, putting it in KO range of a lot of attacks, even its own Life Orb recoil if it has to fire off five attacks. Yanmega has trouble taking even neutral hits because of its rather lacking defensive stats, so prevent it from taking too much unnecessary damage.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal from Pokemon like Gligar, Tsareena, and Rotom-C is mandatory with Yanmega due to its Stealth Rock weakness. Yanmega may not like entry hazards on its own side of the field, but it definitely likes to have them on the opposing side of the field, especially Spikes, since they allow Yanmega to pick up quite a few KOs that it otherwise just misses out on. Pokemon like Mega Steelix, Chesnaught, Mega Glalie, and Dragalge are capable of setting up entry hazards for Yanmega. Nidoqueen and Salazzle are able to beat a lot of Yanmega's common answers in Doublade, Florges, and Registeel; Nidoqueen can also set up Stealth Rock, aiding Yanmega with sweeping. Wallbreakers like Swords Dance Feraligatr, Choice Band Zygarde-10%, and Choice Band Snorlax can weaken the opposing team for Yanmega and allow it to sweep more easily. Pokemon that can set up hail or sand like Abomasnow and Gigalith are excellent teammates because they negate Leftovers recovery from checks to Yanmega, potentially allowing it to break through them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ancient Power can be used to allow Yanmega to OHKO Moltres, but it doesn't offer much else, and Yanmega doesn't really have a moveslot for it on either of its sets. Tailwind can be used on Yanmega's Choice Specs set instead of U-turn or Giga Drain to support its team, but it's a rather poor option because U-turn and Giga Drain offer more utility in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Porygon2, Florges, Diancie, and Gigalith can wall Yanmega with ease and cripple it with Toxic and stall it out of health. Diancie and Gigalith can even OHKO Yanmega with their STAB moves.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Registeel and Escavalier can absorb most hits from Speed Boost Yanmega, but they have to be wary of Hidden Power Fire and tend to struggle with the Choice Specs set a lot more. Registeel deserves its own special mention because of its ability to take hits from the Choice Specs set as well as the Speed Boost set, but its lack of reliable recovery means it gets worn down rather quickly.

Implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)