XY UU Pokemon of the Week #1: Entei

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by the all holy master kokoloko
Kudos to TRC. for the structure, project summary paragraph, and idea

The XY UU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Underused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the UU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. We need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM me what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats!

This week's Pokemon is the Volcano Pokemon, Entei!

Type:

Base Stats: 115 HP / 115 Atk / 85 Def / 90 SpA / 75 SpD / 100 Spe
Abilities: Pressure / Flash Fire (Unreleased)
Introduction
For years, Entei has struggled to keep up with its competition. It's not hard to see why though, when there are many great Fire-types, notably Victini and Darmanitan among others, that outclass it as a physical attacker. Also, any defensive capabilities Entei had were negated by its main STAB move, Flare Blitz, and it's shallow movepool (outside of Extremespeed, which locks Entei into an Adamant nature) contributed to Entei's fall into the lower tiers.

But Entei waited, and with the new generation, Arceus has bestowed upon him the ability to use arguably the best Fire-type move in the game, Sacred Fire. With this new found power in one hand and an Assault Vest in the other, Entei rose through the ranks until he found himself in UU. Without further ado, let's talk about the viable sets the Volcano Pokemon can use!

What To Try:

Entei @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Sacred Fire
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

This set is capable of taking a spanking. With 115 / 85 / 75 defenses that are further reinforced by Assault Vest, Entei is the definition of Bulky Offense. Fully invested base 115 Attack is so Entei can pack a punch while the small speed investment is to make sure Entei out paces other neutral-natured base 100s. Sacred Fire is an obvious choice for a STAB attack as it has a decent Base Power and has a whopping 50% chance to burn the target, while also being a non-contact move, meaning that Entei won't be hurt by Rocky Helmet. Extremespeed is to make up for Entei's Speed, which puts it in an uncomfortable and crowded speed tier. Stone edge is for dealing with opposing Fire-types, Honchkrow, and Zapdos, while Iron Head is just a filler move that comes in handy when dealing with Gardevoir and Florges.

Entei @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Sacred Fire
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head / Flare Blitz

This is Entei's most common set: Choice Band. Instead of taking a more defensive set like the last one, this set aims to make use of Entei's great 115 / 100 offenses. The moves do almost the same as the above, except they hit like a truck. Sacred Fire is the most spammable move on the set and serves as a way to cripple Physical Attackers. The EVs are straightforward for a physical attacker, maxing out Attack and Speed and putting the filler EVs in HP. Flare Blitz can be opted for to hit a little harder than Sacred Fire, albeit at the cost of some HP due to recoil. This Entei can be sent out during the middle game to put holes and spread burns in the opposition, but it also works well as a cleaner due to ExtremeSpeed.

Other Options:
Entei is no stranger to the realm of Special Attackers. As a matter of fact, Entei has access to Calm Mind to boost it's average Base 90 Special Attack to scary levels with the bonus of helping it's Special Defense. Obviously, Entei has the element of surprise on its side and its Special movepool isn't too bad, but it's outclessed in all other ways by Chandelure and Special Victini.

Entei can also run Bulldoze over Stone Edge or Iron Head to fullfill even more of a utility role. With it, Entei can hit something switching in, and then outspeed it to hit once more, hopefully finishing it off.

Teammates:
Because of Entei's Stealth Rock weakness, it enjoys dependable Defoggers, such as Mew and Empoleon, and sturdy Spinners, like Blastoise and Starmie. Pokemon that are also defensive can create a sort of defensive backbone on balanced teams.

Checks & Counters:
  • Slowbro
  • Suicune
  • Rhyperior

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wyvern , love the idea of Entei. As I have used it quite a bit in XY UU (and BW RU for that matter) and have a discussion thread on it, there's a couple of things I'm going to suggest.

Assault Vest:

Underrated set, but it wants 16 Speed EVs at worst. This ensures Entei can outpace max Speed Adamant Metagross (basically, Agility sets) so they can't donk you with EQ before you can do anything. Obviously Agiligross isn't super common, but it would suck to take an unnecessary EQ and the loss in bulk isn't THAT terrible. Bulldoze is a niche option that can lower Speed to allow Entei to attack again. Useful if you feel a Fire-type is coming in, but don't want to take the risk and Stone Edge. Probably more for OO, but eh.

Choice Band:

I would honestly use LO for this. Entei really loves switching moves and since it doesn't need to rely on a move with serious drawbacks for its STAB option (Darm and Arcanine have to resort to Flare Blitz and Tini has to use V-create) this is an option it can afford. Obviously, CB can still work, but I think LO works better overall imo since Entei now has a reliable STAB move.

Teammates:

This largely depends on the set. AV is more of a tank and CB/LO is an all-out attacker. Defog and Rapid Spin support are definitely musts. Mew, Crobat, M-Aerodactyl, and Empoleon are good for Defog while M-Blastoise and Starmie are reliable spinners. Wish support is nice for the AV set (and for LO too I guess) so stuff like Vaporeon and Florges can work. Cleaners work well with CB/LO since Entei can punch holes. Megatric, Shao, and Raikou are cool there. AV set likes stuff like Slowbro, M-Ampharos, and Vaporeon to form a defensive backbone for balanced teams.

Know you aren't done, but just figured I would lend my knowledge with this. As for my thoughts on it, I love the AV set. While LO and CB sets can hit really damn hard, the AV set sacrifices a little bit of firepower for the ability to tank some brutal hits. Even after SR, AV Entei can survive a +2 Dark Pulse from Megadoom and often avoid the OHKO from LO Sheer Force Earth Power from Nidoking (only 12.5% chance to KO after Rocks!) These are two of the most brutal attacks in the tier, and AV Entei can usually take them at 75% health! This is the case with many special attackers and so long as they're neutral to Fire, AV Entei can 2HKO most of them with a combination of Sacred Fire + ESpeed, or Bulldoze + Sacred Fire should they be resistant to ESpeed.

I don't like this idea entirely. There's already an Entei forum and many other pokemon so there's not much point to weekly putting up a new discussion, that gets done on its own. Drawing attention to a pokemon that's been buried under the forum for a while or lesser used in UU is fine but I don't see a link to the original discussion (here) . It has a lot of the needed details showing stats, 2 movesets and a short counter list but it's still just a discussion, even if you do dedicate time to make 1 each week.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't like this idea entirely. There's already an Entei forum and many other pokemon so there's not much point to weekly putting up a new discussion, that gets done on its own. Drawing attention to a pokemon that's been buried under the forum for a while or lesser used in UU is fine but I don't see a link to the original discussion (here) . It has a lot of the needed details showing stats, 2 movesets and a short counter list but it's still just a discussion, even if you do dedicate time to make 1 each week.
I don't think you understand. Quoting the OP:
The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the UU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed.
The OU version of this has been very successful if that means anything!

I may be met with some criticism in saying this, I've found Entei to be overhyped beyond belief by far too many people, given that it is by most standards an above-average Pokemon with significant competition in its role. To me, this has stemmed from what one might consider a plethora of new toys being dropped in Entei's lap (Sacred Fire, Assault Vest, and the increased ease of hazard removal being the most imminent), and from there folks seemed all too willing to start throwing praise at as if some metagame-defining threat, which upon further consideration it really isn't.

To really get an appreciation for this, one has to give some thought to the current state of the XY UU metagame. One of the first things one would notice in doing so is how much competition it has for a team-slot as an offensive Fire-type; Arcanine, Darmanitan, and Victini all have the capacity to fulfill this basic role on a highly consistent basis (disregarding the more specially-oriented, yet still relevant, Mega Houndoom and Chandelure) and all retain significant offensive, and even defensive boons that boost their performance in contrast to Entei. Within this circle of 'mons competing for use, Entei struggles to with perhaps the most immediately pertinent of issues for Fire-types, the bulky Water. Especially within UU, where there are scores upon scores of bulky Water-types with high levels of playability and functionality (Suicune, Slowbro, Mega Blastoise, Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Tentacruel, etc.), it always be worth considering how well your Fire-type matches up with such defensive staples; if the Fire-type is being run as a breaker, it should retain the capacity to effectively pressure these Pokemon in some way, and if it fulfills an alternative role, its utility and other secondary benefits should aptly accommodate for its limited ability to take on such Pokemon. No matter how much easier hazard removal has become in UU this generation, what with the stark increase in viable Rapid Spin users and introduction of Defog (though certainly less pertinent in this case, for lack of consistently performing users), one should account for the burden such a hazard-weak typing bears on the rest of the team for some forme of support in considering just how much the Pokemon is "giving back" to the team. In this regard, Victini and Arcanine can be observed as useful in that they retain coverage options, such as Wild Charge / Bolt Strike, Grass Knot, and so forth with which to immediately pressure common bulky Water-types, while generally retaining a strong offensive presence, and for this reason they will most commonly be utilized as breakers in a more offensive environment. Darmanitan, while not as frequently filling such a role to offense (in my experiences, the Choice Scarf set has proven to offer more consistent results this gen, though some may think otherwise), is highly valuable as a late-game cleaner, revenge-killer, and momentum generator via its Choice Scarf set, so despite its relative inability to break through bulky Water-types, it remains useful by merit of its mid-game "scouting" functions and ability to double as a highly efficient win condition v.opposing offense. Entei, at least to me, offers neither the utility nor the offensive presence to consistently reimburse me as a player for the support adopted to run it; its coverage disallows it from consistently breaking through defensive cores, and it lacks the resources to clean up offense without significant prior damage on a plethora of commonplace Pokemon.

That being said, while it does struggle heavily to make an impact on a strictly offensive front, I would be wrong to not address the less immediate utility value that most fall back to when defending Entei, being its ability to spread burns and check a moderate amount of specially oriented threats w/Assault Vest. In regards to the first point, while I do respect the notion that Sacred Fire has stellar value and "spammability", this particular metagame is perhaps one of the most unkind to this particular niche that one could really ever ask for. This can be heavily attributed to the abundance of both bulky Water-types, most of whom retain some forme of recovery to mitigate the burn's ability to squelch Leftovers recovery, and cleric Pokemon, that can limit the lasting impact these burns have in a game. Given so many teams are either semi-stall / "balance" or bulky offense, it's quite easy to assume that these issues will come up quite often in games. Of course, against offense that is somewhat of a different story, and as a primarily offensive player I can concede how annoying it is to have to switch into Sacred Fire at times, but this brings me to the next point: just how much defensive value can be gotten out of AV Entei? I've seen a lot of users attempt to back up Entei as a viable threat on the grounds that it can eat hits from threats X and Y and retaliate for Z%, but I've yet to see an Entei perform to the capacity such numbers would lead me to believe. Personally, I attribute this mostly to a matter of context; players seem to want Entei to work, so they map out unrealistic situations to befit its cause. For instance, as useful as an strong switch-in for Florges is to offense, I hardly see the necessity to have one that takes ~10-15% from Moonblast when Victini takes 16-20% and can generally offer much higher net gain in turn. You have to acknowledge the toll hazards take on its defensive capabilities, and for a bulky offense team, whose mindset typically involves forgoing a firm, overlying "goal" (such as overloading / baiting certain specific defensive threats, or outlasting and wearing down the common cores of the tier) for basic offensive and defensive self-sufficiency, it is difficult to readily back such a support-reliant Pokemon given it's defensive return. Perhaps on a more offensive team, I can understand the use of AV Entei, as such teams might readily accept a moderately solid switch-in to 'mons like Kyurem, Mega Manectric or Choice Scarf Chandelure, but by that point one again must question if this sense of security is worth the loss in offensive value to be had from running Entei over one of the previously mentioned alternatives.

That being said, I cannot advocate the heavy support Entei has seen as of late, though I would acknowledge it retains a niche to some degree on bulky offense-esque teams looking for a check to certain special attackers capable of applying moderate pressure on bulky Water-types and Heal Bell users, though its reliance on hazard removal support in some forme would lead me to suggest alternatives in team-building. I would say given those parameters, Starmie and maybe Mega Aerodactyl w/Defog would make solid choices to back Entei, as beyond hazard removal both benefit from the chip damage Entei can accumulate on bulky Water-types, though I dislike the 4mss to be had from fitting Defog onto M-Aero. For reasons that have been elaborated upon to some extent in previous segments, I would have to say that AV is really the only Entei worth utilizing, as its primary value in the tier stems from its ability to function as a bulky offensive multi-tool of sorts, though I can only imagine there's some more optimal spread to be had here :/ Couldn't tell you offhand, but it's just a thought. However, I can say with certainty that the more could be had of the fourth moveslot; Flare Blitz's extra power would make it the most logical choice, though I suppose HP Grass could help push through 'mons such as Slowbro and Rhyperior a bit faster (though Rhyperior has grown significantly worse in this generation, and the amount of prior damage needed to KO Slowbro with any move at all is pretty upsetting tbh). Same deal with CB, perhaps even more so given just how atrocious a non-STAB Iron Head is to lock into. I'd actually argue in support of CB > LO, as its natural bulk is one of Entei's most prominent "strong points" and therefore something that should be actively preserved, but I don't honestly have much experience with that particular set, either playing with or against it, so I cannot say for sure.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sort of in conjunction with the final paragraph of the guy posting above me...I just wanna ask, and this is stemming from my general criticism of people who've been using Entei lately: Why Iron Head? I understand it beats Florges and can nail incoming Rock-types, which sounds solid on paper. But unless you're really concerned about your PP, Sacred Fire does enough damage to Florges, and can leave it with a burn. On top of that, the main Rock-types you have to deal with in UU are Rhyperior, who survives Iron Head with little difficulty (252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 157-186 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- 95.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery) and Aerodactyl, who does actually get KOed by CB Iron Head (who also dies to Stone Edge). Both of these guys hate the risk of taking a burn from switching directly in on Sacred Fire.

And I'm not just saying this just to say I don't think it's worthwhile, I've actually used Entei a good few times, and literally never found myself clicking the move. Flare Blitz, as said, can be more viable for the extra damage output, and I honestly think even Bulldoze can serve a better purpose, since at the very least of things, it gives you a more reliable move to smack Mega Ampharos around with, since it's a pretty solid check to Entei in general, despite being worn down so easily. It's actually able to switch in on Entei with ease after it's Mega Evolved, sponge a hit, and has a free turn to do what it wishes as Entei switches out. The AV set can stay in, but that can let Ampharos Volt Switch off to something else that immediately threatens Entei. Some calcs just as proof:

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 118-139 (30.7 - 36.1%) -- 54.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 158-186 (41.1 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

However, even though only Choice Band can successfully 2HKO, Bulldoze at least lets you beat Ampharos on the switch-in.

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 190-224 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

And it's not specifically for Ampharos, you can destroy pretty much all opposing Fire-types except Arcanine on the switch-in without the risk of missing from Stone Edge, AND be able to outpace them after for a finishing blow. The move Bulldoze itself is still pretty niche, but I feel it just accomplishes more than what Iron Head does for you.

I'm also gonna cosign with EonX- on using LO, most players I've faced with it bank heavily on Entei locking itself into the wrong move when they switch in (can't count how many times I've seen Florges use Protect as they switch to a Fire-type that dies afterward), and even though you slowly kill yourself every time you attack, you don't have to worry about the opponent being able to stop you offensively since most of Entei's best checks are defensively-oriented Pokemon. I don't think LO makes it outclass CB, but I think it's worthy of an honorable mention at least.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sadly, Bulldoze is going to do no good against a physically defensive Mega Ampharos. Aside from that I do want to address a few things considering the experience I have with Entei.

col49 , you and I go way back with BW RU, so you know I always have my reasonings for stuff. Obviously, AV Entei is not my first switch into Nidoking by any stretch, but the simple fact that it is at least living more than 50% of the time even after SR makes it a decent last resort option against one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. The Megadoom calc is pretty relevant considering that there aren't loads of defensive Pokemon that can resist or take its primary STAB (Fire Blast) without being either decimated by Dark Pulse (Psychics and Ghosts) or incapable of doing enough damage back fast enough (Florges and Vaporeon) Entei suffers from neither of these issues. It resists Fire Blast, can comfortably tank a +2 Dark Pulse, and respond with Bulldoze / Stone Edge + ESpeed. (you should be coming in as it uses NP) This is all done without cutting into its Attack investment which lets it still pack a decent punch for when it strikes back.
As for the clerics point, two of them provide a relatively risk-free switch in for Entei. Florges? Not doing a damn thing. Umbreon? Foul Play hurts, but its a 50/50 game with the burn crippling its damage output if it tries to stay in. Vaporeon is a no-brainer as to whether or not Entei should switch-in and the same goes for Mega Ampharos. That said, the clerics thing isn't so damning when Entei can fairly easily come in on the two most common ones, but considering that Vaporeon and Mega Ampharos are quite viable Heal Bell users, you do have to account for them.
On the offensive front, there's a fairly major reason to use Entei over the other physical Fire-types of UU; a safe STAB move. Arcanine and Darmanitan have to resort to Flare Blitz, killing their ability to switch-in multiple times, even if SR is off the field. Victini has V-create. While it's absurdly powerful, Victini is almost guaranteed to have to switch out the next turn. Meanwhile, unless it's a bulky Water-type (which there are admittedly a fair amount of) Entei can typically stay in for another attack. Imo, this makes Entei a bit less reliant on hazard control as it isn't forced to switch out as much when using its STAB move. The Life Orb / Choice Band issue kinda comes down to preference. CB preserves Entei's moderate bulk for when it needs to tank a hit to 2HKO something, while Life Orb helps it fare better against offensive teams since it can use a one-two punch of Sacred Fire + Extreme Speed on quite a few offensive threats to 2HKO them without much issue as they try to come in.
Now, in no way am I trying to say Entei is remotely the best Pokemon in the tier, or even the best Fire-type to use in UU. However, it has a fair bit going for it and is one of only two Fire-types that can really go offense and defense (the other being Arcanine) Entei definitely has its perks and while saying it's the best Fire-type in the tier is a vast overstatement, there's definitely some cool things about it that can be worth using it for. Sacred Fire is about the most reliable STAB move a physical (or special) Fire-type can have with the power and accuracy it has without the recoil or stat drops that come with Flare Blitz and V-create respectively.

choice band is the best in my decision, banded sacred fire and E-speed just hit everything so hard, its no darm, but it has an awesome arsenal of moves like E-speed.

I'm a big fan of Entei, but I really think his best 4th move is still either HP Grass or Sleep Talk, for the same reasons they were his best choices last gen.

Even with no investment and a negative nature, HP Grass outdamages your other attacks and at worst 3hkos all mons 4x weak to grass (Rhyperior, Swampert, phsyically defensive Gastrodon, Quagsire, any of those water/rocks you might see) Not a great move to lock yourself into, but if any of the above have already switched into Sacred Fire once or twice, maybe taken a burn, HP Grass easily finishes them off. I've found this especially nice against Quagsire and Gastrodon who are rarely foddered even when slow and low on health because they see Entei as a chance to recover. The case is made even stronger with LO and Assault Vest, as some of your 3HKOs become certain 2HKOs, and of course you aren't locked into a terrible move.

Sleep Talk because you can beat near all Sleep Powder/Spore users if you just believe hard enough that it's going to select Sacred Fire.

Obviously these are just the filler moves you'll rarely use, but I think Entei supports his team the best by carrying HP Grass.

Entei looks good on paper between good bulk and spammable sacred fire. But, entei is prettybone dimensional and his sets have the same very common counters. I know some people are comparing him to the other fire tyes, but there are big differences between entei arcaninevictini and darmanitan.

Victini is the most threatening due to its ability to go mixed and access to grass knot. Arcanine can also catch bulky waters off guard with a sunny day set with solar beam. Ot it has morning sun for recovery or close combat for great coverage.

Darmanitan and entei are probably the closest competitors,but lets not forget that a sheer force life orb boosted fire punch coming from that 140 base attack is very similar to enteis damage output. Hes very niche, but the lack of recovery and coverage hurts.

Honestly, I feel like most people who say it's overrated haven't even tried it, or used it wrong. Entei is amazing if you use it right. (I will elaborate on this later)

Also, add mega-Blastoise to the checks and counters. Entei can't 2HKO it, even with a Banded Stone Edge, and it gets OHKO'd by Water Pulse or Scald.
EDIT: Actually, basically any bulky water checks or counters it.

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know how Entei is still "lesser used", it's a great pokemon with Sacred Fire. 115 Attack is quite good, and with it having ExtremeSpeed, it also has priority.
However, it's main setback, as Taehl has mentioned, is that it's weak to bulky waters. It can't really touch them, with Entei's CB Stone Edge being only a 3HKO to M-Blastoise
[252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 141-166 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO] while M-Blastoise OHKOs it in return
[252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Water Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 422-498 (113.4 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO].
I do support LO as a set, as it allows switching of moves.
However, I propose another set: EBelt.
Entei @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Sacred Fire
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head / Flare Blitz

It allows switching of moves and also lets you fake a CB.
Calcs:
252+ Atk Expert Belt Entei Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 290-343 (80.5 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Expert Belt Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 317-374 (87 - 102.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (guaranteed after SR + 1 layer of spikes/burn)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Entei Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 151-180 (39.3 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 142-169 (41.2 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So, those are my two cents.

EonX

Battle Soul
UU ALL DAY , that should be the standard imo, but I haven't really had that problem on the ladder yet. Maybe it's just my own luck? Idk. But until it truly does become commonplace, I'd run the needed Speed EVs. Obviously, Agiligross should be running Jolly though with stuff like Victini, Darmanitan, and even Flygon being common (and dangerous) enough Scarf users to RK Metagross if it doesn't outpace them.

Yeah, I remember in Gen 4, LO + Jolly was standard. It's meant to be a late game sweeper, really, but I can see why one would use Adamant. Metagross (RK/Agili) is pretty irrelevant at this point in time. The best sets are the Vest and CB set. If steel did not get nerfed, I can see it doing more work, but meh.

Anyways, for Entei, I have used CB, and I like it, I just prefer Arcanine if I'm using a LO set, Victini/Darm if I want hard hitting. I just find Entei underwhelming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)