would you rather live forever or die right now.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this is cong so no joke answers please.

personally I'd prefer to live forever, it's the less selfish choice and, while it'll go bad in the long run and I'll have plenty of time to regret it, I make my decisions in the moment like a moron.

Even though under normal circumstances I'd prefer to die, if I was given the opportunity to live forever I would certainly take it. It would allow me to experience things that a normal human can't without fearing death or failure, because time and chances wouldn't be a problem. Life would be a whole new thing tbh.

That is, if my body didn't rot quickly.

Last edited:
i think i would like to live forever, however u get old which means u cant do as much as when ur young rly tough question

I mean this is the argument ending hypothetical that I always give whenever an immortality argument comes up. If you hate immortality, eventually on some specific day you have to prefer death.

There's an argument to be made for a "right time" to die but that's pretty cultural and that time conveniently keeps moving as modern medicine improves.

There's an argument that outliving your loved ones would become unbearable and/or boring but people survive tragedy of this sort and go on to lead fulfilling lives. I wouldn't trivialize this kind of struggle but I would never perscribe death as the answer to it.

There's an argument that death gives life meaning, that we only do anything because we only have a certain amount of time. I'd like to think that just as one finds a way to spend more money if they come into it, the monuments and great works created by those with longer life will inspire people to live rich lives in spite of the crippling realization that it won't end for them someday.

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
It depends on how would you body evolve (for example, would you still get white hair at 50 years and almost not be able to move at 90?) - provided you're keeping some energy to move, talk, interact, and understand what's around you, then it would probably be amazing to see how the general society evolves (someone from 500 years ago would barely believe what they would be seeing today if they were still alive, and that'd probably be the same case for someone of our era who would get to see year 2517).

Spectating the general evolution of humanity, as well as the one of each country, would just be a chance people would dream of, because not only would you accumulate a lot of knowledge, but you'd also have the opportunity to say "I was here" -- not a lot of people today can say they've lived during both World Wars, most of us smogoners haven't even lived during the era in which there were two Germanies and USSR was a thing. Seeing the world changing and evolving would be amazing imo, especially when said evolutions usually take some decades to happen.

Obviously though, if you're the only person to live forever, this means you're not only going to be alive in 500 or 1000 years, but in a million years too -- by then, humanity would probably have disappeared since a long time and you'd be the only one left, so there wouldn't be a lot of things to do despite swimming in the universe until you find another inhabited world. But at least, you'd know how it all ended, what happened before, etc... That'd be super cool.

That is, provided you're not getting weaker with the years. Currently a 80-/90-year-old human can't do much and barely communicates, so it'd be way worse when you reach the age of 200, 300, 500, 1000, etc... years. Being there to contemplate and remember stuff is interesting, but only if you're able to remember they happened and aren't wondering what you ate yesterday or what the names of your children are.

So if it's confirmed that such a choice would make you become a super weak grandpa with the time, I'd rather die right now. What happens after one's death could be interesting as well -- it's so cool that nobody has ever come back from it to tell us about it :pimp: (or maybe does nothing happen). Otherwise if it's confirmed that you're staying "young" or at least, not becoming a vegetable, and even if it's not confirmed and people do not know what would happen.... well, I'd still try it!

Last edited:
I'd die right now. It's the 'outliving society' thing that gets me - I'd be bored as shit and probably depressed too, with no way to change anything, for literally an eternity. I also wouldn't trust anyone else not to abuse that kind of power, and if I wouldn't let them have it I shouldn't take it myself.

I honestly just hate the idea of immortality and the fact that a good portion people are so obsessed with not dying to the point where I actively don't want there to be an afterlife. I'd prefer not to die right now obviously, but if those are the options just get it over with.

Reactions: Mq
depends on how my body would stay like others have mentioned. i dont want to be a thousand year old shriveled up immortal pile of nothing. being immortal and keeping the image of a late 20s/early 30s person? now thats my shit. I think I'd go immortal regardless just as long as Im able to do things when im "older" aka 60 years from now or w/e. Dying on the spot doesn't sound too nice of a way to go out.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
if I get to keep youth's energy then fuck yes live forever. my deepest fair isn't death itself, its all the cool things i'll miss when I'm gone. discovery of alien life, more advanced space travel, all that good shit.

if we're to assume eternal youth comes with living forever, hell yes lol why'd anyone not pick it then

Well it depends if you can turn off the immortality on your own will. If it's permanent then I'd rather die.

Couple caveats to permanent immortality. It's gonna be a fun couple hundred years, but at some point you get jaded and bored with the world. Then comes humanity's inevitable extinction, except since you're immortal, you don't die but you still endure the agony that brought upon the end of humans. Everything afterwards just adds onto the pain, seeing how eventually the universe legit runs out of energy, basic atom structure starts deconstructing, etc. All this just for a couple hundred years of coke and hookers. No thanks!

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Hypothetical questions like this are at the same time both fun and tough to answer honestly. It is hard to say what I would do if my life was on the line and despite how easily I might be able to answer this question I don't expect that I would have that same level of functionality and clarity if this situation were literal.

First instinct would be to end it...considering I've just been given the choice of life eternal or death, something feels funny here. Just kill me because whatever you are up to-it is no good, that much is for sure. Eternal life just ain't natural-I'll go with my instincts here. Death for me.

Damn...A good question...

I would rather Die. The planet doesn't last forever, so what's the point of living forever if you can't do anything about it? Plus, your body would rot solid to the point that it would be unbearable. Imagine floating around space in total darkness with a rotting body for the rest of your life. Who would want that?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even if you assume that the universe runs out of energy and becomes heat death and atoms explode and you still are alive in constant pain, I will still take that.

Death is complete oblivion. There is NOTHING there for you (unless you believe in some sort of afterlife in which case that's essentially immortality) there. Eventually immortality reaches the "pain of existence" phase, but dying right now basically skips to having no thoughts, ever, for the rest of the universe. You can't even perceive it because you're...DEAD, but your consciousness is completely erased. If you stay immortal you get to experience the death of the universe and that kind of sucks, but you STILL have a consciousness to think to yourself with. I'll take that 100x over permanent death.

Death terrifies me btw. Nothing in life scares me more than not existing.

I guess the feeling of never being able to die is something that would just bother me ultimately. But than again, being able to have immortality would mean seeing society progress or regress for that matter would be interesting. Being able to see all the advances in technology hundreds and hundreds into the future would be surreal to me. I think i'd still choose to die now, the loneliness of outliving all of your loved ones even after making new ones would just be never ending.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
I think realistically, this answer will change as I age, and I'm still undecided as of right now. There are several factors that can go into this, and this is a very difficult question that gets you to think, so thanks for asking it.

Why I should live forever:
Now, I could get very hypothetical with this (would I face no harm, or would I just not die from aging?), however, I'm not going to do that. At thirteen years old, I look forward to my life ahead of me. To put that into perspective, I would love to start a family, get a job and pay taxes. Obviously, dying wouldn't allow that at all.

I'd also get to basically see humanity evolve (probably into shit). I'd be able to experience the advances of history, technology, as well as global warming (yeah, not so good I guess). One thing I would hope to see though while we're there, is world peace.

But, I would also to have everyone I love die right in front of me, and if I can die as long as it isn't aging, I think I would die of depression (which, even though this is serious, I might as well insert the joke of I do right now as well lol).

Why I should just end it:
At thirteen years old, I want to die all the time, and that's normal. But really I mean as a soon-to-be tax paying American, I really am just a number in the system right? All anyone of importance wants from me is my money, but I think I could live with that honestly.

Also, I'd be worried about my loved ones losing me, but you'll find the contrary above.

So, as I've written this post, I've decided I want to live forever, since there's more reason to. Again, very good question, it really gets you thinking.

Die right now. Who the fuck would seriously want to forever be stuck alone after all the stars in the universe have burnt out?

even with eternal youth, id most definitely just die now. i wouldnt be able to take living through all of my loved ones deaths, and the hardest hitting thing would be staying young while your wife just ages and dies. id either get very depressed very quickly, or just completely emotionally dead

I like this question and hate this question at the same time. Well done.

hrm....... if my life were more complete, I'd choose the die right now option. I don't think anyone actually wants to live forever. Heck for some people, even 80 years is to much. Also, watching everything die while you go on living is a rather cruel eternity spent indeed. Still, I'm not gonna say its entirely bad. There's alot of really cool sights that no human will ever see. (The galaxies collision with Andromeda comes to mind almost immediately.) being able to live forever may also have its quirks. Depending on what kind of immortal you are (I.E the invunerable kind), You could explore various things at your leasure, take in all the knowledge the universe has to offer. Become something akin to a god if you feel like it. Everything dies around you so it'll be a lonely eternity but it'll also be fairly interesting.

What happens if you are crushed underneath debris in the middle of nowhere? Do you just stay there for hundreds of years until someone finds you?

Also what happens if the earth gets engulfed in the sun?

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
What happens if you are crushed underneath debris in the middle of nowhere? Do you just stay there for hundreds of years until someone finds you?

Also what happens if the earth gets engulfed in the sun?

1 ) Refer to Power Rangers

2 ) Refer to Skylanders Trap Team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)