Wimpod, Golisopod Discussion

Hello there.Made an account just to ask:

Maybe it's ability is more like Baton Pass?Anyone checked that?

My first-hand sources that I won't delve into confirm that:

- Emergency Exit is exactly like Wimp Out in every way and, unfortunately, activates immediately after taking the hit, not at the end of the turn. Meaning Golisopod might accomplish diddly-squat that turn.
- Emergency Exit activates only after the last hit of the multi-strike attack lands, not during the attack.
- if Golisopod enters the battle with less than 50% HP already, Emergency Exit doesn't activate any more - unless it heals and drops below 50% again.
- Sitrus Berry activates before the Ability, so it prevents Golisopod from getting switched if it heals enough.
- evolves from Wimpod at lv. 30 and getting it to that level is a major pain, though with badass payoff.
This is absolutely horrible. At least if it had a decent speed stat, it would make sense, but now theres a chance that it wont be able to attack.

I'm not sure why GameFreak is approaching this generation with such an anti-competitive demeanor.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but I really like the ability. First impression lets it get a good strong hit in, and then if the opponent takes half its hp (Which might be hard-ish to do with 75/140/90 defenses) then you're in danger of being killed next turn anyway so you get a free switch to a counter. If they didn't do much damage, hit em with a leech life.

This is absolutely horrible. At least if it had a decent speed stat, it would make sense, but now theres a chance that it wont be able to attack.

I'm not sure why GameFreak is approaching this generation with such an anti-competitive demeanor.
Uh... other than this guy, Pyukumuku's literal lack of offensive moves, and Oricorio... where's the anti-competitive demeanor you are talking about?

Uh... other than this guy, Pyukumuku's literal lack of offensive moves, and Oricorio... where's the anti-competitive demeanor you are talking about?
Not so much anti-competitive, as it's just shafting a ton of new mons in terms of movepools and stats, speed in particular.

Anyone able to check the damage from a 90 damage, stab bug move on this guy? Like how much damage is he doing neutrally in comparison to like a Talonflame or like compared to a mega Kangaskhan Fakeout?.

I mean, between all of First Impression, Aqua Jet and Sucker Punch, I think I'm pretty sure the design was made in mind of forcing Golisopod to use priority moves, setting up a Swords Dance being something you either risk after switching in but hitting hard and not being out-sped if you do. As compared to, say, being bulky and speedy and able to just safely return all momentum after any attack it wants to use. It won't be OU material, but I can definitely see the risk-reward that was put into the design.

Anyone able to check the damage from a 90 damage, stab bug move on this guy? Like how much damage is he doing neutrally in comparison to like a Talonflame or like compared to a mega Kangaskhan Fakeout?.
Did it myself. Takes about 40-47% off of a Mega Kangaskhan and a Fakeout from a MK will do about 22-26% to him.

Can anyone confirm with certainty that First Impression has priority like Fake Out, or is this speculation?

Also, to any mods: A thread with new attacks would be wonderful. This would help the community become familiarized with the new attacks, who learns them, what they do, and the more intricate mechanics behind them. I have yet to find any comprehensive info on all new moves in a single place besides data dump links a scarcely find.

Can anyone confirm with certainty that First Impression has priority like Fake Out, or is this speculation?

Also, to any mods: A thread with new attacks would be wonderful. This would help the community become familiarized with the new attacks, who learns them, what they do, and the more intricate mechanics behind them. I have yet to find any comprehensive info on all new moves in a single place besides data dump links a scarcely find.
+2 or +3 Priority, yeah. It was designed with Emergency Switch in mind. I don't see Golisopod going very high in tiers but if you play him right, he's an absolute monster. Good bulk, good moveset and tons of priority. His ability is something that you CAN play around too unlike other bad ones.

+2 or +3 Priority, yeah. It was designed with Emergency Switch in mind. I don't see Golisopod going very high in tiers but if you play him right, he's an absolute monster. Good bulk, good moveset and tons of priority. His ability is something that you CAN play around too unlike other bad ones.
He reminds me of Barbaracle in many ways; looks amazing on paper and has whatever it needs but bad in practice. Only now, Goli lacks tough claws and shell smash, and has a very dubious ability

He reminds me of Barbaracle in many ways; looks amazing on paper and has whatever it needs but bad in practice. Only now, Goli lacks tough claws and shell smash, and has a very dubious ability
Priority is important, and having the strongest priority move in the game (stronger than Extremespeed!) and having two priority STAB options and third for coverage (Sucker Punch) is really, really important.

Plus Golisopod is noticeably bulkier on both ends and has arguably more important resistances.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Interesting for vgc imo. It has auto eject button for pivoting in and out of auto terrain / weather setters when the field advantage is lost and has that meaty priority if its slot isnt targeted when pivoting (psychic terrain doesnt help though lol). Think along the lines of eject button top this year (has wide guard too). It will more than likely see its fair share of use.

Honestly I'm almost inclined to think it's ability works in favor of it, if it weren't for rocks. Its signature move is literally made to synergise with its ability - priority circumvents being forced out before doing anything, and switching out allows it to use it again. This coupled with jet and sucker means it can always move in the turn it switches out. Beyond that it's also strong and fat as shit, and with leech life and AV as highlighted earlier it should have quite a bit of survivability, and it could even regain HP to reactivate its ability if it's near 50%. Like this mon literally screams that it wants an AV slapped on it, with that move + spread + leech life. And that doesn't even go into it's pivoting abilities, what with the free switch. Hell you could maybe even run it with Duggy and trap some shit.

edit: who knows it might also work on pelipper rain, with peli supporting it with defog, uturn and aqua jet boost.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

A friend just sent me this picture. His Golisopod (Seltas Queen) got under half health from full HP and wasn't switched out. This also wasn't the first time it happened, either.

So there might be more to this ability than we thought.

EDIT- Nvm it's because you can't run from Totems, derp.

Last edited:

Because doubles is the name of the competitive game. All the official tourneys are doubles only, and GF has been anything but subtle about focusing its competitive balancing on that area. Singles hasn't been the focus for 2 generations now - Gen 7 just makes it more obvious. The 'competitive meta' that we play is OUR invention, concocted by extensive tinkering. GF has no stake in it whatsoever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)