item: Leftovers
evs: 252 Spe 252 HP 4 Def
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • U-turn provides switch momentum
  • Encore cripples set-up sweepers and defensive Pokemon
  • Taunt outspeeds other Pranksters and shuts down most defensive Pokemon
  • Priority Stun Spore can cripple Scarfed or fast opponents that aren't Electric type
  • Substitute allows for blocking status and scouting opponent's moves
  • Moonblast is a nice spammable STAB
  • Giga Drain provides some recovery while also hitting some defensive Pokemon hard
  • Leech Seed is great at forcing switches and keeping Whimsicott healthy but leaves it walled by every Grass type or the rare Sap Sipper

Set Details
========
  • Leftovers allow for consistent recovery as Whimsicott often comes in multiple times and allow quite a bit of staying power when combined with Leech Seed.
  • Maximum EVs are placed in HP and Speed to ensure Whimsicott can U-turn out first while maintaining bulk.Timid nature allows Whimsicott to outspeed positive base 110s and below. The remaining EVs were placed in Defense to help take neutral and resisted physical moves while retaining an even HP stat to ensure maximum leftovers recovery.

Usage Tips
========
  • Can cripple many set-up sweepers
  • Can set-up on many defensive threats
  • Can provide switch momentum with U-turn
  • Often forces switches through typing and Encore
  • Forced out by most Grass types
  • Be wary of Infiltrator Pokemon such as Crobat and Chandelure
  • Paralysis support can prevent an opponent sweep

Team Options
========
  • Steel types that can take the incoming Poison, Ice and Steel moves such as Empoleon provide great defensive synergy
  • Hazard support such as Forretress is recommended as often forces switches
  • Aromatherapy/Heal Bell support prevent Toxic stopping Whimsicott stall-wars
  • Pokemon with Volt Switch allow an effective VoltTurn core (Raikou, Jolteon, and Forretress with Volt Switch, or Mienshao with U-turn)
Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Energy Ball
move 3: Shadow Ball/Psychic
move 4: Switcheroo
ability: Infiltrator
item: Choice Specs
evs: 4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Moonblast is the STAB of choice and can hit suprisingly hard
  • Energy Ball provides secondary STAB coverage against the many Bulk waters
  • Shadow Ball has excellent synergy with Moonblast, being only resisted by Pyroar
  • Psychic nails incoming Crobat, Toxicroak, Roserade and the Nidos
  • U-turn allows for fast scouting
  • Switcheroo cripples defensive Pokemon
Set Details
========
  • Most people don't expect Whimsicott to be Specs allowing Whimsicott to check a lot of its previous threats
  • Infiltrator allows Whimsicott to bypass Substitutes but Prankster allows for priority Switcheroo
  • Speed tier allows Whimsicott to outspeed and OHKO non-scarf Mienshao/Heracross/Machamp and other commonly seen threats
Usage Tips
========
  • Choice Specs allows Whimsicott to deal heavy damage on incoming threats
  • Effective anti-lead
  • Be wary of Florges and other Special walls
Team Options
========
  • Steel types like Forretress and Empoleon
  • Hazards are always beneficial
Other Options
########
  • Tailwind can be used to provide support for team
  • Can allow a teammate to sweep after a Memento
  • Prankster Sunny Day with a Heat Rock can benefit Sun teams
  • Cotton Guard can allow Whimsicott to set-up on many physical Pokemon
  • Prankster Trick Room support is interesting but Whimsicott is too fast for this to be very effective
  • Tickle can be used but is generally inferior to Cotton Guard
  • A set with Fake Tears can allow Whimsicott to deal more damage provided the opponent doesn't switch
  • Growth could be effective on a sun team considering Whimsicott also has access to Chlorophyll but it rarely gets that much set-up opportunity
  • Cotton Spore can be used for Electric types but is generally inferior to Stun Spore
  • Grass Whistle is far too inaccurate to work most of the time

Checks & Counters
########
  • Most Grass types and Sap Sipper Pokemon can come in on any of Whimsicott's moves and scare Whimsicott out
  • Infiltrator users such as Crobat, Chandelure and Noivern force Whimsicott out repeatedly
  • Specially Defensive Pokemon can wall the Specs set with relative ease but must watch out for the Switcheroo
  • Poison types can scare Whimsicott out with their STAB but must be wary of Psychic

Last edited:
Not QC, but I'll try to help.
1. On the first set, I don't think Encore should have a slash, as it is such a pivotal move for a Whimsicott. Taunt is good, but it is not a thing that should replace Encore.
2. Leech Seed is not a good move without Substitute, so I think it should be moved out of that mess of slashes.
3. For the other set, Infiltrator is far superior, as Whimsicott is already fast enough, especially with 116 Spd and a +Nature. Plus, the only thing that takes advantage of it is Switcheroo.

Not QC, but I'll try to help.
1. On the first set, I don't think Encore should have a slash, as it is such a pivotal move for a Whimsicott. Taunt is good, but it is not a thing that should replace Encore.
2. Leech Seed is not a good move without Substitute, so I think it should be moved out of that mess of slashes.
3. For the other set, Infiltrator is far superior, as Whimsicott is already fast enough, especially with 116 Spd and a +Nature. Plus, the only thing that takes advantage of it is Switcheroo.
I went and tidied up the first set since I agree completely about Encore. Slashed Leech Seed in with Stun Spore and Taunt with Sub/Moonblast.
Infiltrator is preferred yeah but Prankster is still an option.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think that Moonblast should be in the support set. If anything, the only attacking moves it should be using are Giga Drain and U-turn. Also, U-turn is in no way the sets best move, let alone one that is a must on it. I think that the set for the Support should be this:

move 1: Encore
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: U-turn / Leech Seed / Taunt
move 4: U-turn / Giga Drain / Substitute

I'd actually have both abilities slashed on the specs set, slashed in the order Infiltrator / Prankster as that Prankster Switcheroo is great, especially seeing as, even with Choice Specs, Whim isn't going to be hitting particularly hard.

You really need to flesh out Team Options as Whimsicott does require a high levels of support to function.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I'm not QC or anything, but Whimsicott has a pretty bad Special Attack stat. The Specs set should probably be removed.

As an experienced Whimsicott player:

- Just do not use Specs Whimsicott. Or any offensive Whimsicott, while you're at it. Its main use is to support and being a general annoyance to teams with its huge support movepool coupled with Prankster. 77 Sp. Atk just doesn't cut it, and "surprising usual threats" is not what Whimsy should be doing. Probably OO at best.
- Don't forget about Prankster Memento, which is amazing as a last resort for set-up sweepers to... set up and wall sweep I guess?
- Switcheroo + Lagging Tail for OO. Generally inferior to Stun Spore because it's one-time use, but does have the advantage of completly crippling someone no matter how many speed boosts, having perfect accuracy, crippling paralysis-immune Pokémon (Electric-types...) and cannot be cured by Aromatherapy/Heal Bell/Healing Wish.
- Investing in Speed is near useless as it has Prankster. I honestly play him more often physically defensive because of its typing, but specially can most definitely work too.
gamer boy said:
move 4: U-turn / Giga Drain / Substitute
I don't like Giga Drain. I guess it could be used for surprising Swampert and stuff but really, don't you think it would be better to use another support move instead?

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Life Orb > Choice Specs and Life Orb is actually fucking amazing, I use it a bit and it OHKOs shit like Sableye and big bulk tanks, imo Life Orb could be an actual set

Life Orb > Choice Specs and Life Orb is actually fucking amazing, I use it a bit and it OHKOs shit like Sableye and big bulk tanks, imo Life Orb could be an actual set
Are you kidding me I've been using that for a year and just told you about it.

Definitely give that LO offensive support set a mention in OO, with Moonblast Giga Drain/Energy Ball, U-turn, Tailwind. It may sound stupid but don't pass judgment until you either try it or just grudgingly add it into OO

Are you kidding me I've been using that for a year and just told you about it.

Definitely give that LO offensive support set a mention in OO, with Moonblast Giga Drain/Energy Ball, U-turn, Tailwind. It may sound stupid but don't pass judgment until you either try it or just grudgingly add it into OO
Definitely give Memento a slash by Tailwind. Honestly Memento is such a great move, come in and Memento something and then bring in a frail sweeper to start putting in work. The nice thing is that it's not like you're just killing your Pokemon at random, either, since you can use it as an offensive 'mon until you get low on health and then just Memento right before you're about to die. Definitely give it a slash for sure.

No. Tailwind is better than Memento necause it allows you to break rather than sweep which relies less on team matchup. Specs PZ appreciates 2-3 turns (depending on if you sacrifice it) to break with Tri Attack rather than set up once

And yes, I'm willing to make a new team and ladder if you want to see high level replays. This set may have seemed better in the Crawdaunt meta like 2 hours ago but it's still very good. Depending on the games I get possibly a main set over Specs.

No. Tailwind is better than Memento necause it allows you to break rather than sweep which relies less on team matchup. Specs PZ appreciates 2-3 turns (depending on if you sacrifice it) to break with Tri Attack rather than set up once
Here, look at it this way. You come late game, you're Whimsicott's close to dead. You fire off a Memento on w/e, lets say like bulky Crobat. Then, you bring in something like Mega Houndoom. Now, you can easily begin to Nasty Plot up and prepare to sweep. If they switch out, you get a Nasty Plot, if they attack, you're guaranteed Nasty Plot since they're so weak. Tailwind doesn't do this; it gives you Speed, sure, but it's unnecessary due to it's already high Speed. However, Memento guarantees that you're able to set up a Nasty Plot and easily sweep through the opponent's team.

I think Tailwind support wallbreakers, such as Specs Porygon-Z and Chandelure, while Memento allows you to more easily set up while using more Hyper-Offensive oriented teams. I don't really feel as though you can say one move is better than the other when they both assist different Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)