What should all Pokémon teams consist of?

Hey not sure if this is the right thread for this post but looking for some answers to a couple of questions. Im a casual player that plays pogo and switch games so I’m new to this. I usually just throw together what I like but I make sure I have some coverage to deal with the most common types.

What should all Pokémon teams consist of? I see people mention wallbreakers, sweepers, offensive, defensive, bulky, setups, etc. can anyone tell me what these all are and how do I know what Pokémon would suit the role better? So far I’ve built a couple of OU teams but I’m being told they are a mix and I should choose one play style, offense or defense. I try to have at least one or two to setup stuff like stealth rock or any type of hazards. I make sure to have types of coverage moves like ground, fighting, ice, and steel since those cover the most. I’ve tried other peoples teams and mine and my main struggle I’m not prepared for the opponents attacks/team. I won a couple of matches with the team I made and randomized teams. I’ve had trouble dealing with iron valiant, dragapult, and ting lu with not having coverage moves and opponents keep switching out to deal my team. I may try other sample teams to see if anything works out with those.

Any advice, suggestions, or comments is appreciated!

I know it’s been months since this has been posted, but better late than never. There are many different play styles. They range from Hyper offense to stall. Some prominent ones will be mentioned here. Note that different formats have different prominent playstyles, and no playstyle will always be better than another. I’ll make some really rough summaries of some major playstyles.

Balance teams use consistent Pokémon and form a “balance” of offense and defense, hence the name. Offense teams might have some defensive backbone, but generally want to be in control and have pressure. Bulky offense is like balance, but slightly leans into offense more, and wants to put pressure while still having a defensive backbone. Stall is a playstyle that tries to outlast the opponent by defensively beating their Pokémon and never breaking, doing damage to the opponent with small chips and passive damage, such as sandstorm and status damage.

These aren’t all the playstyles, but are the major ones. When it comes to teambuilding, there are, as you said, many varieties of Pokémon.

“Sweepers” are Pokémon that are used to clean up or win games by doing massive damage to the opponent’s team. “Bulky” Pokémon are simply Pokémon that can take powerful hits. Setup sweepers, like curse snorlax, are Pokémon that might not be threats at first, but can snowball and win the game using boosting moves. Offensive Pokémon are designed to play aggressively and attack the opponent, while defensive Pokémon are Pokémon designed to deal with offensive Pokémon. Hazard setters are recommended because they do so much passive damage over most games.

This isn’t everything, but feel free to message active, experienced players, like Finchinator or Pinkacross, they’ll have helpful information if they respond.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)