What Mon To Train Next?

I was wondering what is a good Mon that fits well in a team as a 5th Mon in a team like this. Was thinking maybe Porygon-2 or Goodra. Thanks for the help!

Bewear @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Double-Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Superpower

Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Explosion

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Toxic

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

well, it is posted in the RMT section... Either way, descriptions will help with feedback, since it makes it easier to see what your plans were in making this team. On that subject, you have listed 6 Pokémon and need help with a 5th? Which Pokémon are you replacing? The Toxapex with the moveset that isn't effective in Doubles, the Minior who seems like it may have issues setting up without any support, or the Tapu Bulu on a team with few good options against Steel/Poison/Fire types? Especially with Arcanine/Kartana seeming exceptionally problematic to this current line-up.

well, it is posted in the RMT section... Either way, descriptions will help with feedback, since it makes it easier to see what your plans were in making this team. On that subject, you have listed 6 Pokémon and need help with a 5th? Which Pokémon are you replacing? The Toxapex with the moveset that isn't effective in Doubles, the Minior who seems like it may have issues setting up without any support, or the Tapu Bulu on a team with few good options against Steel/Poison/Fire types? Especially with Arcanine/Kartana seeming exceptionally problematic to this current line-up.
Is that what team building help is? I thought this was for threads like this. There is a separate part of the form for RMTs. I meant this thread to be more about what Mon to add to the team. Not the team it self. I have a separate thread at this link for rating this team.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-first-competitive-team.3596245/
Sorry for the problems in this thread. I'm still figuring out the rules of the form.

Is that what team building help is? I thought this was for threads like this. There is a separate part of the form for RMTs. I meant this thread to be more about what Mon to add to the team. Not the team it self. I have a separate thread at this link for rating this team.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-first-competitive-team.3596245/
Sorry for the problems in this thread. I'm still figuring out the rules of the form.
Ah, well for starters this is for VGC 2017, which is doubles. The team you seem to be asking for is OU. So none of the advice we would give you would be helpful anyways since the formats are pretty different.

And yeah, this is for asking for Team Advice for VGC Teams, but it still uses the RMT format.

Ah, well for starters this is for VGC 2017, which is doubles. The team you seem to be asking for is OU. So none of the advice we would give you would be helpful anyways since the formats are pretty different.

And yeah, this is for asking for Team Advice for VGC Teams, but it still uses the RMT format.
I have used this for both doubles and OU and has worked pretty well both ways with some tweaking when I play different formats. This post isn't about the team I already have though. I just wanted to ask what VGC players tend to be using more right now so I can make this team more prepared for doubles. I understand the differences between the two play styles. I posted this thread here with the fact more VGC minded people would be here to reply. If you haven't already there are disruptions for the Mon at the link I sent. The descriptions take doubles into effect.

1. It really seems like a Singles team
2. There's no Protect on any of your mons, and that move is a staple in VGC
3. You should complete the 'Mandatory HW Assignment' to understand the VGC scene more

1. It really seems like a Singles team
2. There's no Protect on any of your mons, and that move is a staple in VGC
3. You should complete the 'Mandatory HW Assignment' to understand the VGC scene more
If you read the above replies I explained why the team is like that. I am still working on the test as I was confused on what to do at first.

A. Toxapex is deadweight. Scald is a 3HKO vs 0HP/4SpD Arcanine, meaning it has garbage damage output and your opponent could leave it alone and just double target the Pokémon next to it with little problem as a result. To expand on how bad a situation this is: Arcanine is one of the more popular Pokemon at the moment as a member of the AFK Core (Arcanine, tapu Fini, Kartana), has a Super Effective STAB vs half your team, and Arcanine is weak to Scald. Also generally run more HP and SpD EVs, so there's a possibility that you will face an Arcanine that is 4hko'd by Scald. Assuming it doesn't also Snarl. And while Toxapex is one of the bulkiest things in the game, it would face difficulty in stalling against two opponents at once, especially if they are immune to poison (i.e. Alolan Muk and Kartana) or do not use Contact Moves that would trigger Baneful Bunker (i.e. special attackers like Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele).
B. You have three Pokemon that want to set up and no way to help them do that. You have no way to prevent them from getting targeted with two attacks in a single turn, nor can you stop your opponent from using Fake Out (although that is less a concern this year vs previous years) to delay their Shell Smash/SD. Mimikyu is able to consistently get an SD off, but is liable to end up with little HP in the process. Kartana is one of the top offensive Pokemon, and your opponent's reaction may be to prioritize that and leave you with a fainted Kartana that did nothing, while Minior Shell Smash is something that can be seen coming from a mile away and dealt with. The cost of using those moves may be a bit too high in a majority of the cases to justify half the team being able to do it.
C. Type Synergy... Half the team is weak to fire, and only two of the Pokémon have Super Effective attacks vs Fire-types. In fact, an Arcanine/Kartana lead alone would be extremely rough for your team to face: Intimidate nerfs 83.33% of your team, and they have a variety of ways to deal a good amount of damage back. Mimikyu/Toxapex would be the only lead that is unlikely to have either Pokémon KO'd, but that still doesn't put you in an amazing spot and you don't have a ton of options vs safe switch-ins in that scenario...
D. Why no Z-Moves?

just build two teams it is better if you need help i can breed for you and help you build unless someone else wants to because im not too good at this

A. Toxapex is deadweight. Scald is a 3HKO vs 0HP/4SpD Arcanine, meaning it has garbage damage output and your opponent could leave it alone and just double target the Pokémon next to it with little problem as a result. To expand on how bad a situation this is: Arcanine is one of the more popular Pokemon at the moment as a member of the AFK Core (Arcanine, tapu Fini, Kartana), has a Super Effective STAB vs half your team, and Arcanine is weak to Scald. Also generally run more HP and SpD EVs, so there's a possibility that you will face an Arcanine that is 4hko'd by Scald. Assuming it doesn't also Snarl. And while Toxapex is one of the bulkiest things in the game, it would face difficulty in stalling against two opponents at once, especially if they are immune to poison (i.e. Alolan Muk and Kartana) or do not use Contact Moves that would trigger Baneful Bunker (i.e. special attackers like Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele).
B. You have three Pokemon that want to set up and no way to help them do that. You have no way to prevent them from getting targeted with two attacks in a single turn, nor can you stop your opponent from using Fake Out (although that is less a concern this year vs previous years) to delay their Shell Smash/SD. Mimikyu is able to consistently get an SD off, but is liable to end up with little HP in the process. Kartana is one of the top offensive Pokemon, and your opponent's reaction may be to prioritize that and leave you with a fainted Kartana that did nothing, while Minior Shell Smash is something that can be seen coming from a mile away and dealt with. The cost of using those moves may be a bit too high in a majority of the cases to justify half the team being able to do it.
C. Type Synergy... Half the team is weak to fire, and only two of the Pokémon have Super Effective attacks vs Fire-types. In fact, an Arcanine/Kartana lead alone would be extremely rough for your team to face: Intimidate nerfs 83.33% of your team, and they have a variety of ways to deal a good amount of damage back. Mimikyu/Toxapex would be the only lead that is unlikely to have either Pokémon KO'd, but that still doesn't put you in an amazing spot and you don't have a ton of options vs safe switch-ins in that scenario...
D. Why no Z-Moves?
Ya its got loads of problems I know. But I guess that's why I'm here for help with stuff like that. Let me just say i'm no VGC noob. (I attend VGC events as often as I can.) But this team is HIGHLY experimental. I am FAR from using this consistently. Still testing on pkmn showdown. Thanks for the help! By the way I'm almost done with homework thing. Its takeing a bit cause i want to make sure the team is really good.

just build two teams it is better if you need help i can breed for you and help you build unless someone else wants to because im not too good at this
I prefer to breed my mons myself. If you have a porygon,porygon2,porygon-z with good IVs though I would like to breed a porygon-2 so I would like to borrow that Mon to use as a parent. Thanks for offering!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)