What languages do you know/are you learning?

I'm fluent in English and Dutch which i got from home/tv/school and i know some French and German from school and a little bit of Spanish.

I'm the most fluent in my native tongue, English, but I know basic Spanish as well. I've been hoping to learn French but that's not one of the courses at my high school.

I speak fluent English and Portuguese (both mainland and Brasil), can speak some Spanish, and can vaguely understand French and Italian. I really want to learn those two a bit more and maybe a few others like Polish and Japanese.

I speak fluent English (took me 4 years to speak it fluent) I know also know a bit Russian since my family is from Kazakhstan and they speak Russian there. I am currently learning French

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I'm fluent in French and English, have an advanced level in Spanish and I am currently learning German at college and Swedish on my own. Can understand most of Portuguese too, I plan on studying it later. In fact learning/practicing languages is my n°1 passion so I'd like to be able to speak as many as possible ! ^__^

I'm from Hong Kong so I'm more or less fluent in both Cantonese and Mandarin. Learned German for 11 years and French for 4 years at school. Studied Japanese in university and am still doing so now that I live in Japan. Oh and in case you couldn't tell, I'm fluent in English too.

English is my first language. I also know Marathi just cuz. I'm alright at french, wouldn't say fluent, just alright.
To keep with the coding theme, I also know C++ (and I guess Arduino) and am learning Java.

Trying to learn Korean purely because I saw a video that claimed to be able to teach Korean in 5 minutes

I'll get back to you guys in 5 minutes

What are some study habits/methods y'all use, especially if you are self-teaching? I have a great interest in languages and I'm just curious to know what helps you gain progress, other than the obvious answer of time and dedication.

What are some study habits/methods y'all use, especially if you are self-teaching? I have a great interest in languages and I'm just curious to know what helps you gain progress, other than the obvious answer of time and dedication.
Flash cards work great for vocab
Quizlet.com is a great resource to create your own flash cards and study them from anywhere

The best way by far is immersion, but obviously that's not accessible for everyone. If you have a friend or someone that you know that speaks the language, ask them to practice with you. You can learn all you want from books and online resources, but nothing beats live practice, especially for speaking and comprehension.

Luna

journey before destination
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The languages I speak are very basic, aka my mother tongue (Portuguese) and English, my secondary. I'd like to be able to talk other languages, though - French (I know how to do questions...! If I know the verb...), Spanish (I'm kinda meh, understanding it is easier though), and Italian.

Maybe Japanese because, well, nihongo :^) but not top priority, also it's hard.

trace

tell me
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
I can fluently speak Indonesian, Mandarin (and some other dialects), English

good enough to talk in korean and japanese

Yaotome

Will you prove worthy?
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I speak Portuguese, it's my mother tongue.
I believe I'm good enough to talk in English, got a decent level at French and I might be looking at an Asian language as my next one.

Dratias

Drat, it's Dratias!
I've been taking Latin courses for about 3 years now, and once I finish with my current one, I plan on beginning French. I had actually wanted to learn French first in the beginning, however my father suggested I do Latin first instead since it was basically the beginning of all the romance languages and it might help me be able to learn French easier in the future. And dang did I love Latin. It's so cool to be able to translate and speak in a language no one ever speaks in anywhere. And hey, helps a heckton when it comes to derivatives and English vocabulary.

i can speak english fluently. french ok -- i think i have enough tics to the point where i wouldn't be considered a native speaker, but i know more than enough to get by and have conversations with natives without much difficulty, or at least with about as much ease as i'd have speaking in english. would probably be considered either a b2/c1 speaker?

currently learning some spanish (which i can read/write ok, though not at the same level as french), german and a bit of latin, but i'm working with the last two really haphazardly and just started learning them in the past year. i don't have a lot of time to study the languages due to being so busy with school/job search, which is frustrating :(

i don't plan on learning any other languages at this point. maybe italian or mandarin somewhere along the line, but i'd only even consider that several years from now

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
im decent at chinese and i know english, my english grades don't reflect that tho :^)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)